"I thought, 'What am I going to do?' "
Charlene Crafton was at the end of her rope by the time she called Yachad. She and her daughter were living with water leaking from the ceilings into their bedrooms for over four years. Ms. Crafton knew her roof needed repairing but she could not afford it.
“Every time the wind blew it sounded like it would blow the rest of the roof off.” She was scared and nervous and didn’t know what to do.
The leaky roof was only one of several problems.
The family hired a contractor to create an accessible bathroom on the first floor for their aunt who lived with them after suffering a stroke. Sadly, the project was not finished after the workers unexpectedly left the job. The family was left with an unfinished bathroom and unusable bathtub. Health issues plagued her daughter. Mold from the roof and other plumbing leaks, plus the old carpet throughout the home, were triggering her allergies. The house was literally making her sick.
Yachad’s health remediation work was needed.
Over the past few months, Yachad's tradespeople addressed the serious repairs. Volunteers pitched in to complete the aunt's bathroom and remove the old carpet.
Work wrapped up this month and the house is now better than ever.
"I just thank, thank, thank everyone and am so grateful and happy for everything,"
declared Ms. Crafton, who is no longer anxious when it rains.