Labour Day - Monday, September 7th
The Municipal Office and all Selwyn Public Library branches will be closed Monday, September 7th and will reopen Tuesday, September 8th.
Garbage & Recycling Collection:
There is no change to garbage or recycling collection on Monday, September 7th. Please have all items out for collection by 7:00 AM.
The Smith Landfill (1480 County Road 18) will be closed Monday, September 7th and will reopen on Tuesday, September 8th at 9:00 AM.
Municipal Office Opens September 8th for In-Person Service!
The Selwyn Township Municipal Office (1310 Centre Line) will be open for in-person service on Tuesday, September 8th. Office hours:
- Monday to Friday
from 8:30AM to 4:30PM
Whenever possible, customers can still conduct business by telephone, email or make an appointment. Emails can be sent to email@example.com
- General inquiries - 705-292-9507 ext. 210;
- Finance (taxes, accounts payables, etc.) - 705-292-9507 ext. 213 or ext. 228;
- Public Works and Landfill - 705-292-9507 ext. 236;
- Building (inspections and permits) - 705-292-9507 ext. 214;
- Planning - 705-292-9507 ext. 220;
- Dial 411 to dial by name or for the staff directory, click here;
- We have drop boxes at the office for payments, plans and other documents.
If we are not able to take your call right away, please leave a voicemail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
If you need to come to the office, there are NEW procedures in place for the health and safety of our visitors and our staff. This includes:
- maximum capacity of three (3) visitors in the front lobby at one time (2 being served; 1 waiting);
- physical distancing;
- hand sanitization upon entering the office;
- please wear a mask.
Selwyn Township is looking to hire a:
- Facilities Attendant (Part-Time); and
- Arena Attendant (Casual)
Deadine to apply is Sunday, September 13th at 8:00 PM
. For more details, visit the Township website
Selwyn Township is recruiting Volunteer Fire Fighters!
Deadline to apply: 12 Noon on Monday, September 14th, 2020! For more information, visit the Township website.
Interest Relief Period has Ended
August 31, 2020 was the end of the interest relief period authorized by Council as part of Selwyn Township's COVID-19
Economic Recovery Strategy.
Interest was added to property tax arrears on September 1, 2020. Taxpayers unsure of their outstanding balance, can email the Finance Department
or call 705-292-9507 ext. 213 or ext. 228.
Payment methods include debit, cheque or online/telephone banking or cheque payment in the Township's secure drop box in front of the Municipal Office.
Last Property Tax Instalment of the Year!
Mark your calendars for the instalment due date of:
- Monday, October 5th, 2020.
It's not too late to sign-up for our Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) Plans. Check them out below! For more information, visit the Township website or contact the Finance Department
at 705-292-9507 ext. 228.
September Council Meetings:
September 8, 2020 - 5:00 PM - Regular Council Meeting
September 22, 2020 - 6:00 PM - Regular Council Meeting
Think you missed something at a past Council meeting? Recordings of past meetings are also available on the Township website. **Watch out for "#SpotlightonCouncil" posts on the Selwyn Township Facebook and Twitter pages for hot topics discussed at Council Meetings**
Back to School Safety
Although back to school looks a bit different this year, there will be kids taking the school bus! Let's keep kids safe as they make their way to and from school!
Red flashing lights and the extension of the stop arm on a school bus indicate that the bus is preparing to stop and that vehicles must come to a complete stop on both sides of the street so children can cross safely to the bus.
Parents should also speak to their children about school bus safety!
ReLeaf & Backyard Digester Program
All maple trees and backyard digesters have been spoken for! We thank everyone who applied to the program. If you missed out, you can still purchase backyard digesters from the Township office or through the County's Waste Management Department.
Thanks to our new Environmental Programs Intern Hillary Bradshaw for coordinating the program and installing digesters in the summer sun!
Ever wonder what those white and brown moths, black fuzzy caterpillars and brown spongy patches on trees are all about? That is the infamous Gypsy Moth, an invasive species that defoliates (removes the leaves) from trees.
With climate change, forests are already under a lot of stress and with hotter, dryer springs, the forest's natural defense mechanisms against invasive species are weaker.
Landowners who are concerned about Gypsy Moth on their properties are encouraged to contact a registered professional forester for surveying and elimination strategies. Landowners can make an impact on smaller infestations by scraping egg masses off trees and into a bucket of soapy water, destroying the eggs before they hatch.
Hazardous Waste Depot - Last Day September 3rd!
The last day to bring your household hazardous waste to the Smith Landfill (1480 County Road 18) is Thursday, September 3rd from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
After September 3rd, the Household Hazardous Waste Depot won't be back until 2021!
Still need to dispose of hazardous waste? It can still be disposed of at the Pido Road Recycling Facility (400 Pido Road, Peterborough). For details, visit the City of Peterborough website
COVID-19 Garbage Collection
Garbage collection continues as scheduled. However, we ask that you please bag ALL garbage and DO NOT place waste loosely in garbage containers. Loose materials will NOT be collected.
This small change helps protect collectors from the risk of COVID-19.
Clear Bags Become Mandatory in a Year!
Running out of opaque garbage bags? Make sure you purchase clear bags!
March seems like ages ago, but Selwyn Township launched its new Clear Bag Garbage Program on March 1st, 2020! This program will have a positive impact on keeping recycling out of the landfill and protecting our environment.
- March 1st, 2020 - Clear Bag Garbage Program began.Start using clear bags for garbage.
- September 1st, 2021 - Clear Bag Program becomes mandatory!
Garbage in opaque bags will be refused.
Help Save a Life - Keep Private Roads Clear!
The Selwyn Fire Department wants to remind residents and cottagers living on private roads that road maintenance can be the difference when saving a life!
Please keep private roads clear of brush, potholes and any other obstacles! This allows emergency vehicles to get to where they need to go FASTER!
Water Restrictions in Effect!
*Until September 15th, watering may take place from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM & from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
*Even numbered addresses on even days;
odd numbered addresses on odd days.
Weekly Video Updates from Mayor Andy Mitchell
Selwyn Township Mayor Andy Mitchell has been providing weekly video updates every Friday throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
|Weekly Video Update from |
Mayor Andy Mitchell
Municipal Response to COVID-19
The Township of Selwyn is taking actions
to help protect the health of our community
Effective March 25, 2020
- All municipal recreational facilities (Lakefield-Smith Community Centre, Ennismore Community Centre, Bridgenorth Community Hall and Marshland Centre) are CLOSED until further notice.
|Planning - firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Selwyn Township Planning Department is accepting Minor Variance applications and Site Plan applications.
- The Planning Department is reviewing Zoning By-law Amendment applications. We will work with applicants and process them dependent on the nature of the application.
- For more detailed information, visit the Building & Planning Department Update page.
|Building - email@example.com
- The Selwyn Township Building Department is accepting Building Permit applications electronically and conducting inspections on unoccupied buildings.
- For more detailed information, visit the Building & Planning Department Update page.
|Resources for Businesses - firstname.lastname@example.org
- As we continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, we have created a list of Business Resources. Please share these resources with your network to help ensure that businesses are prepared to manage through this challenging time.
|Beaches - email@example.com
- Beaches are OPEN, however individuals must maintain the safe physical distance of at least two metres apart from others.
- Peterborough Public Health maintains a routine surveillance program for public beaches during summer months to ensure that the water quality is safe for swimming. Public Health surveillance program begins in June and continues until the end of August each year.
- Public beaches in Selwyn Township are sampled at least once every week. The water samples are tested for E. coli bacteria. It takes approximately 24 hours for the health unit to receive and analyze the water quality results from the lab. For beach testing results, please visit the Peterborough Public Health website.
- Green spaces in parks and trails remain open. Individuals must maintain the safe physical distance of at least two metres apart from others.
- All outdoor recreational amenities, including playgrounds/play structures, outdoor exercise equipment, skateboard park, sport fields, basketball and tennis courts/pickle ball, frisbee park, picnic areas, park shelters, bleachers, and benches may be used subject to physical distancing of at least two metres being maintained, no team/league sports, and stay home if you have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Local Police Services will be enforcing the Provincial Order. The public can report issues to the following non-emergency numbers:
- Smith and Ennismore Wards - Peterborough County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) non-emergency number: 705-742-0401 or 1-888-310-1122.
- Lakefield Ward - Peterborough Police Service non-emergency number: 705-876-1122.
- Important - 911 is for emergencies only; reports of non-compliance related to the above are to be reported to the non-emergency numbers provided above.
Want to Stay Up-to-Date?
We appreciate your cooperation.
Let's try something new! To promote Hoopla, we're encouraging people to try the Hoopla Book Club. On September 1st, patrons will have access to Hoopla.
- Download the Hoopla app onto your tablet or phone & sign in
- Borrow "The Bear" by Andrew Krivak (Read the eBook or listen to the audiobook)
- Join the Facebook Hoopla Book Club LIVE! with Author Andrew Krivak - Tuesday September 15th at 7:00pm (A Facebook account is not required. We will share the link via our Facebook page and/or email it directly to you if requested)
- Questions? Email Heidi.
Online Trivia Night - Thursday, September 24
Gather your friends and family for a fun night of online trivia! Thursday Sept. 24th at 8:30pm. Trivia Night will take place online using Zoom and the game is played using Kahoot. Instructions and the Zoom link will be emailed out the morning of Trivia night. If you have any questions please email Sarah Jones or call 705 292-8022. To register for Trivia Night, please click here
Online Genealogy Resource Workshops
Back by popular demand! Learn about free online research tools available to assist you in your genealogy research with Dr. Fraser Dunford of the Kawartha Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society. Dr. Dunford has been involved in genealogy for about 35 years, has written six books and many articles on genealogy.
Workshops will be presented online via Zoom. A link with be sent to registrants emails on the morning of the presentation. This is a repeat of the August program series. Email Sarah Jones if you have any questions.
To register for one or all Genealogy Workshops, please click here
- Tuesday, September 22, 1:30PM: Using Online Genealogy Sites and Library and Archives Canada
- Tuesday, September 29, 1:30PM: FamilySearch and Archives of Ontario
- Tuesday, October 6, 1:30PM: Public Record Office (England), Guild of One Name Studies, and other sites
Not-Back-to-School Concert with Melissa Payne Does your child have a staggered school start or are they homeschooled or too young for school? Join local artist Melissa Payne for a children's concert on Tuesday September 8th at 10:30AM. Songs, instruments, dancing and maybe even a puppet appearance! All ages. To register for the concert with Melissa Payne, please click here
Babytime, Toddlertime and Storytime @ Home
The ever popular children's programs are not available for viewing in the comfort of your home or wherever you have a device via our private Zoom link beginning in late September! For more details or to register, click here. Baby & Toddler Celeb Photo Contest (birth-36 months) Dress your child up as a famous celebrity, real or from a book, for a little fall fun. Prizes to top photo per age group. One photo may be entered per child. Contest runs Sept. 8th-30th. Registered patrons will be contacted on Sept. 8A number of online children's programs will continue throughout the month of September. Please watch the Selwyn Public Library website for the most up-to-date information and online registration links.
th with more details. To register for the photo contest, please click here.