Volume 23 * Issue 03 * September 14, 2017
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A Message from President Trudell
Welcome Letter From the Interim Superintendent of Catholic Schools
Please read this important letter from Mrs. Sally Todd, Interim Superintendent from the Diocese of Orange.
St. Serra Hands Helping Houston
A big success - thank you.
You can continue your support of the victims of Hurricane Harvey and Irma through Scripsense.
Our St. Serra community continues to look for ways our families can support the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
Our St. Serra Hands helping Houston drive raised over $3,800 in a few short days. Scripsense is providing another way to support those so devastated from these Hurricanes. As a member of Scripsense, you can log on to your Scripsense account and you will see a choice to raise money for either the victims of Hurricane Harvey or the victims of Hurricane Irma. All proceeds from your purchase will either be directed to CRS or Red Cross - you have a choice. Let us as a community continue to demonstrate our commitment to service and support to those in need. We are reminded always to whom much is given, much is expected.
Keeping Students Safe During Morning and Afternoon Traffic
The safety of our students, parents, faculty and staff is of utmost importance to us so now that school has been in session for a few weeks, we think it might be a good time for a refresher on our traffic procedures.
to review St. Serra's traffic procedures that were also sent out in my constant contact email on August 22.
Let's continue to each do our part in helping to keep everyone safe!
St. Kilian Octoberfest - Come Support our Parish
Join other SJSC families at St. Kilian's Octoberfest on September 23 & 24. Come for a meal - stay for music, dancing, games and fun!
God puts so many little miracles in our lives. We often pray for big ones and wonder when God will answer us. He always does but along the way He gives us daily the smallest of miracles. Let us each try to notice the tiny, yet important, miracles that God has put in our life today.
As we appreciate our miracles, let's continue to pray for those who have lost so much from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. As they begin to rebuild, we know God will put miracles in their lives.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
In an ongoing effort to be good stewards of our resources, Renaissance STAR score reports are posted electronically for our parents in lieu of sending printed reports home. Please note the data does get erased when a new test is taken, it is important to print the report if you desire it in the future. To access your child's most recent scores, please go to
(do not use the Home Connect link)
- Click on I'm a Parent
- Enter your User Name: Your Sycamore Family ID
- Password: 1scs This is a default, you will need to create your own.
Tardies do affect learning. Please make an extra effort and have your students here on time.
Thursday, September 28, 2017
Tijeras Creek Golf Course
- Have you registered? Don't miss out on a great day of golf in support of our St. Serra students. REGISTER yourself or a foursome today!
- Don't Drop the ball! Take a chance at winning $3,000. Plus, your child could win $500! Each family who purchases $50 in golf balls will receive a non-uniform dress pass for each St. Serra Student. CLICK HERE for all the details and to download the Order Form. Turn in your Order Form tomorrow to be included in our Second Incentive Drawing! Final deadline is Monday, September 25.
- Silent Auction SOS! Conveniently support the Silent Auction with a scrip purchase and earn rebates toward your Financial Participation Fee. CLICK HERE for more details.
- Visit the GOLF CLASSIC HOMEPAGE for sponsorship opportunities and volunteer needs the day of the tournament! Questions? Please contact the Golf Classic Leadership Team at email@example.com.
Parent Education Speaker Series
Thursday, September 21, 2017
- Mr. Jim Burns, President of HomeWord and the Executive Director of the HomeWord Center for Youth and Family at Azusa Pacific University, will join us to discuss "Confident Parenting."
St. Junipero Serra Award
*NEW" Nominations Now Open!
Since 1997, SJSC has honored parent volunteers with the ST. JUNIPERO SERRA OUTSTANDING SERVICE AND CHRISTIAN LEADERSHIP AWARD. Potential recipients are nominated by SJSC parents, faculty and staff. Winners will be presented with the award at our annual Anchor Ball event in the Spring.
CALL TO ACTION
: *NEW this Year* We are opening nominations NOW and will keep it open for a majority of the school year! As events and volunteering take place (around campus, on the field, in the classroom) and you notice a "stand out" volunteer, please take a few minutes to complete the online
For Award Guidelines and a list of Prior Recipients, please visit the
ST. JUNIPERO AWARDS
section of the PTO Homepage on the St. Serra Website.
Please contact PTO Parliamentarian President, Cristen Lebsack at
START CLIPPING YOUR BOXTOPS!
It's EASY, FUN and a GREAT way to earn EXTRA cash for our school programs!
- Visit the BOX TOPS HOMEPAGE on the St. Serra Website to learn about the Box Tops for Education Program and for a list of participating products.
- When you purchase qualifying products with "Box Tops," clip the coupons and send them to school! Send the coupons in a zipper bag or envelope (label with your child's full name and homeroom).
- Plus, participating students have the opportunity to win some exciting gift cards AND a homeroom Pizzookie Party! For details on how to quality for the first Opportunity Drawing (coupons due Thursday, October 19) and more, visit the webpage via the link above. Let's get clippin' and help our school! Questions? Contact Box Tops Chair Kelly Smith Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 HARVEST FESTIVAL
Sunday, October 29, 2017
11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Want a reserved EZ Up the day of Harvest? How about 2 free Fun Zone Wristbands? And don't forget reserved parking at the Festival! Take a peek at our UNDERWRITING opportunities and learn how to earn all of these amazing benefits!
- Check out the many VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES Harvest has to offer! We need your help to make this day happen! We even have a special opportunity just for our Alumni! Join the team, we have openings for a Restaurant Fundraiser Coordinator and an additional person to help with Community Donations.
- Questions? Reach out to the Harvest Leadership Team at email@example.com.
SEASON'S TUITION ASSISTANCE LUNCHEON VOLUNTEER INTEREST MEETING
This year's tuition assistance luncheon will be held on Sunday, January 28, 2018 from 12:30-3:30 p.m. This event is a SIGNATURE EVENT for St. Serra and there are many opportunities to get involved!
Want to learn more? You are invited to our volunteer interest and TAL 2018 kick-off meeting.
Consider serving on the planning committee. If you like to entertain, perhaps, volunteer to be a table hostess and decorate a table. Maybe you want to help serve at the event, or you might be looking for some at-home crafting work. Whatever your talents or time commitment may be, we NEED YOU!
Working on this event is so rewarding! It is a fabulous way to get volunteer hours on a weekend while helping raise funds for students at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School and the four other schools in the Diocese of Orange whose students rely very heavily on financial assistance to attend Catholic school.
Please join us on Wednesday, September 20 at 7:00 p.m. in the SJSC Library to learn more.
For more information regarding the luncheon, visit
our event webpage
. If you have any questions or cannot make the meeting but are interested in participating, please contact Pam Owens at ext. 165 or
Space is limited. Sign Up Today!
Homework Club starts on
Monday, October 2, 2017.
Applications are due
September 22, 2017
Please note Homework Club is a first-come, first-served wait list program.
- see more information about Homework Club
- see the list of teachers
- print the HW Club forms
STUDENT STORE NEWS
The On-Line Student Store is up and running. Orders will be processed within 48 hours and will be delivered to the classroom (oldest child's homeroom). The sketch diaries and recorder instruments are available for purchase. Currently, we are out-of-stock of $1.00 rosaries. Please print your receipts.
- If you are ordering under a different name from the student's last name, please make a notation in the memo box on your order.
- When entering your payment, please be sure to enter your name - we have received several orders without any name.
Order #oSGZ; #P7te
Names: Solorzano; Gardner; Riad
Please contact Catherine Tirado, at
, with the family's last name if these orders belong to you.
Sign-ups for SJSC Spirit Squad is now Live!
Spirit Squad is open to all spirited girls in grades 5-8. No previous experience is required. We will need 1-2 team parents (per team) to volunteer to coach and supervise the girls at the games. Clinics will be scheduled for various Thursdays throughout the year. Participation Fee is $185, which includes uniforms and shoes for the student to keep. Come cheer on our Bears! Please Click Here to sign up.
Looking for volunteer hours for 2017-18?
Join our Scrip Office family and you will have a set schedule in a fun environment and meet other SJSC families.
We have morning shifts and an afternoon shift available
Please email us at
if you are interested.
Ralph's Rebate Reporting:
for quarter ending May 31, 2017 are now due
All rebate information for quarter ending May 31, 2017 must be emailed to the Scrip
September 29, 2017. No exceptions will be made for late reports due to restrictions from Ralph's.
AFTER-SCHOOL COMPUTER SCIENCE CLASSES
Learn the basics of computer programming!
Mondays and Thursdays: 2:45-3:55 p.m.
First Day: Monday, October 2
Last Day: Thursday, October 26
Choose one of two themes:
- MUSIC & SOUND: Make.Code.Music.
No previous computer science experience is necessary.
for more information and to sign up for the class. Sign up soon! If you have any questions, please contact Miss Thomas at
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
JSerra Pep Squad Cubs Camp
Join the JSerra Pep Squad for a mini cheer camp on
Friday, September 22.
"Cubs" will learn choreography from the Cheerleaders and Dance Team, and then take part in the half-time show during the Varsity Football home game against Los Alamitos! For more information or to sign up visit