Volume 23 * Issue 05 * September 28, 2017
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A Message from President Trudell
Founders Day Summit - October 5, 2017
Our St. Junipero Serra Catholic School Annual Founders Day Summit will be held on Thursday, October 5 at 6:00 p.m. in the Muzzy Family Student Activity Center.
Our Summit is a time when SJSC Parent Advisory Board leadership and their committees gather to receive the Annual Report, review school-wide goals and based on those goals, set individual committee goals. Mr. Doug Hayden, our Advisory Board Chair, is working closely with me and the following committees: Advancement, Construction/Facilities, Curriculum, Finance, Marketing, PTO, Parish/Community Outreach, Legal/Administration, and Technology. Each committee consists of administrators and parent volunteers working together to continually move our school forward...SIEMPRE ADELANTE.
The evening will include:
- Presentation of the 2016-17 Annual Report and School-wide goals
- Overview of the Phase IV Chapel/STEAM construction project and how it will support our students
- Setting of Advisory Board goals
- Committee work on goals for 2017-2018
You are invited to join us as an observer of this wonderful event. Seats in the bleachers will be available for all observers. As an observer, I know you will learn a great deal and will be proud of the parent leadership that represents you in all areas. You may be so intrigued you will want to volunteer for one of the committees in the future.
"Pennies from Heaven" - Every Life is Worth Living
October 9 - 20, 2017
The month of October is dedicated to Respect Life by our Catholic Church. Our annual outreach program "Pennies from Heaven", developed within the Diocese of Orange, will begin Monday, October 9. All students and staff will receive a new baby bottle to take home, fill up with donations and return back to school before Friday, October 20. These funds support local Respect Life shelters, clinics and centers which assist women and families in crisis. This collection is one substantial way for you to promote a culture of LIFE in our community. If you are writing a check, please make it payable to SJSCl and indicate "PFH" on the memo line. Thank you for your support!
SJSC Small Power Outage
The final work on our power line to connect the new buildings to the main campus will be done this weekend, September 30 & October 1.
Student laptops and iPads will not be affected as only the MEC/SAC complex will be powered down.
However, the main campus will be closed starting on Friday, September 29 at 6:00 p.m. until mid-day on Sunday, October 1. Any changes will be communicated via email.
Sacred Heart Kids Club
Thursday Afternoons from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Sacred Heart Kids' Club provides a joyful and welcoming atmosphere for students in grades 3 - 8
. The club meetings include games, crafts, lessons, snacks, and prayer time.
Registration for Sacred Heart Kid's Club is on October 5 at 3:30, and the first club meeting is Thursday, October 12. CLICK HERE for more information.
We know God lives in our hearts each and every moment. Remember also, that every person we meet has God present in their hearts as well and that we can see the face of Christ His Son within each person.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
Preschool - Grade 8 Parent and Teacher Communication and Conferences
As we continue to partner in your child's education, we encourage open and ongoing communication throughout the school year. Parent, teacher, and student communication should be envisioned as a process, rather than as an event. All St. Junipero Serra Catholic teachers participate in on-going communication with parents. Communication takes place via Sycamore (K-8), e-mail, telephone, and scheduling conferences as needed. It is our hope that all concerns are being addressed as they arise and are not being held until the set conference days.
Upcoming Scheduled Conference Times:
Wednesday, October 17 from 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, October 18 from 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, October 19 from 7:30 - 11:00 a.m.
*Please look for Specific Grade Level c
onference information and sign up opportunities in next week's SerraDIPITY.
GOOD LUCK GOLFERS! SJSC GOLF CLASSIC TODAY
Helicopter Ball Drop Tomorrow!
- Thank you to our GENEROUS SPONSORS, golfers and dinner guests. We are so grateful for your support and thank you all for continuing to make the GOLF CLASSIC a fun event and successful fundraiser benefiting all St. Serra students!
- Thank you to our wonderful GOLF TEAM. They have put together an amazing event!
- Ball Drop Reminder: Thank you to ALL who participated in the 2017 Ball Drop Raffle! The helicopter will be flying over the SJSC field tomorrow, Friday, September 29, between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m. All are welcome to join in the fun!
- Non-Uniform Dress Pass: All students in families who sold $50 in golf balls qualify to receive a non-uniform dress pass for tomorrow, September 29. Qualifying student names are listed in the PARENTS ONLY section of the St. Serra Website.
2017 HARVEST FESTIVAL
Sunday, October 29, 2017
11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
This week's Harvest news is all about getting the KIDS fired up to celebrate!
- Tell your kids to come dance with us at lunch every Monday in October! We will be teaching a special mob dance to this year's theme song which will be performed at our Harvest Festival. All grades welcome!
- SERRA'S GOT TALENT is back so get your act together! Auditions will be held on Wednesday, October 11, and Monday, October 16, in the Library beginning at 3:30 p.m.
- New this year...Chalk Art! Claim your spot now to be a featured Chalk Artist and help us to create a beautiful display highlighting our 50 states! CLICK HERE to read more and sign up!
- Questions? Reach out to the Harvest Leadership Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out the HARVEST FESTIVAL HOMEPAGE.
FULFILL A LARGE PORTION OF YOUR SERVICE HOURS!
- Love to decorate?
- Do you plan themed birthday parties?
- Are you creative and looking for a way to use those talents?
- Do you want/need to perform a lot of your service hours on your own time or from home?
We have the volunteer opportunity for you! We are looking for hostesses to plan and decorate a themed table for our Tuition Assistance Luncheon in January.
Experience not required. We have mentors to guide you through the process.
This is an amazing event in which to be involved. Not only will you meet new people, but you will be involved in helping gift a Catholic education to students in need.
If you are interested or would like more information please contact
or Pam Owens, Event Coordinator at x 165.
...Where You Will Find the True Heart of Our School
- Join us as we come together in prayer for the needs and intentions of our community. Partners in Prayer ~ Please contact Anastacia Escoboza-Henry at email@example.com with a prayer request or to be added to the prayer e-mail list.
- Parent Rosary ~ Meet us on Friday mornings to pray for the intentions of our SerraStrong families. We meet on Fridays at the Blessed Virgin Mary statue in the Middle School Courtyard at 7:50 a.m. (or 8:30 a.m. on school Mass days). Please contact Veronica Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to be added to the Parent Rosary e-mail list.
YEARBOOK 2018 ONLINE SALE BEGINS
TODAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2017
Yes, it's that time of year again to take advantage of the
EARLY BIRD yearbook price of $48.
This great price won't last long -- sale is only good for a short time.
Please act NOW as the price will go up to $58 beginning Friday, October 13, 2017.
Yearbooks can only be purchased online. Here is how you place your order(s):
Note: To place additional orders, you will have to click on the "Continue Shopping" button to add and complete order forms for any additional yearbooks you'd like to order for your student(s).
- Go to www.jostensyearbooks.com
- Click on "SHOP YEARBOOKS"
- Enter "St. Junipero Serra Catholic School - RSM" from the drop-down menu
- Click on "Yearbook>Add to Cart"
- Add Recipient's Name (Student's Name) Student's Last Name, Grade, Homeroom, Recipient's E-mail (would be your own and not the student's e-mail address). If you have a TK student, please select Pre-school as the grade and indicate TK "A" or "B" as the homeroom
Have You Created and Purchased Your 2018 Dedication Ad Yet?
Dedication Ads went on Sale July 1, 2017
Yearbook ads are a great way for parents, families, and friends to commemorate student achievements and important milestones.
Have a lot of photos but not sure of how to organize them in an ad?
Never designed an ad before and not sure where to start?
No Problem! Dedication ads are digital with online templates and easy submission to help you design a lasting recognition for your family!
Shout-Out Ads are Back Again!
child celebrating their First Holy Communion? Graduating from
rgarten? Want to send a special message to your child's teacher? The possibilities are endless!
Let everyone know how proud you are of your student with a Shout-Out Ad - a unique way to show the special Serra Bear in your family how amazing they are...straight from your heart and into the yearbook.
For more information on how you can design, preview and pay for your Dedication or Shout-Out ad online, please
. This flyer also provides you with three submission deadlines, ad sizes and cost.
Take advantage of the EARLY BIRD deadline by submitting your ad by Sunday, November 26, 2017 and receive the EARLY BIRD discount! Please mark your calendar as this date will soon be here.
for more information on St. Junipero Serra Catholic School's Yearbook Ad Guidelines.
for Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of the webpage.
BUY YOUR SJSC LOGO WATER BOTTLE
Help support the Chapel by purchasing a water bottle!
Water bottles can be filled at our hydration stations on campus. The two stations are located on the exterior of the MEC and PEB buildings - one being located in the St.
Junipero Serra Courtyard between the team locker rooms and the other is located in the PEB Lunch Area to the left of the servery windows.
Help save the environment and benefit the Chapel!
The bottles are now being sold online via a
on the school website and all proceeds will go to support the Chapel Fund.
SCHOOL PICTURE MAKE-UPS AND GRADE-LEVEL PICTURES WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 4
Formal Uniform Required
Wednesday, October 4, we will be taking grade-level pictures for our yearbook. All students (grades TK-8) must wear Formal Uniform this day. We will also be taking group pictures (e.g. choirs, altar servers, etc.). Students who missed their original school picture day will also have their pictures taken on this day at
7:15 a.m. in the SAC. Please allow yourself enough time to arrive before this scheduled time as the parking lot closes at
7:10 a.m. to begin morning traffic. Make-up photos will be end precisely at
IN-N-OUT ORDERING CLOSING SOON
Last Chance to Order!
Ordering for both October and Annual orders
closes tomorrow, Friday, September 29
. In-n-Out will only be served on October 12 & 26 for the month of October.
to visit our In-n-Out page and order.
FINAL NOTICE - Ralph's Rebate Reporting:
for quarter ending May 31, 2017 are due
by tomorrow, Friday,
September 29, 2017.
No exceptions will be made for late reports due to restrictions from Ralph's.
for St. Serra's procedures to obtain your family's Ralphs rebate information
Albertson's and Safeway/Vons/Pavilions have merged. During this transition, we are receiving both the current Albertson's cards and new Safeway cards, which you can use in all four grocery stores. These new cards have a Safeway sticker and the Albertson's logo.
Riptide Rockin' Sushi and Teppan Grills at the Kaleidoscope is joining our St. Serra's family of local vendors. $25 gift cards at a 15% rebate will be available as a daily item beginning on Monday, October 2, 2017.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
Festival Santiago - Santiago de Compostela Parish
October 14 & 15, 2017
This festival is one of the largest fundraisers for Santiago parish.
SATURDAY: 4:00 - 9:00 p.m.
SUNDAY: 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Food booths, live music, games, line dancing, fashion show, dunk tank, inflatable slide, watermelon eating contest, tumbola, cake walk and more!
Bring the family and join the fun!
San Francisco Solano Parish Youth Faith Formation Programs
JSerra Fall Choir Concert and Dinner Fundraiser
, Friday, September 29, JSerra will be hosting an amazing evening of dinner and song!
Don't miss the first performance of the year from the award-winning choral program at JSerra Catholic High School. CLICK HERE for more information and to purchase tickets.