Volume 23 * Issue 06 * October 5, 2017
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A Message from President Trudell
Included in today's Monthly Envelope, we are pleased to present to you our 2016-2017 Annual Report. Click below to view a video highlighting our Annual Report.
|Annual Report 2016-17 Video
Our Lady of Fatima 100th Year Anniversary Mass
, October 11
you will join us for our Mass Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 9:30 a.m. to pray as a community in the presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ. This Mass will be hosted by
our teachers, staff and parents.
We will also be praying the Holy Rosary as a school, as we meditate on the final request of Our Lady of Fatima, which was to pray the Rosary and for world peace. We are blessed to welcome Father Stephen
Lesniewski, our new priest at Santiago de Compostela,
as our celebrant.
Mass will be for students in Grades One through Eight; however, all students TK through Eight are required to wear Formal Uniform. We do have permit parking in the neighborhood but NO parking is allowed in the Memorial Care parking lot.
on school Mass days and
Friday mornings to pray for the intentions of our SerraStrong families. Please join them at the Blessed Virgin Mary statue in the Middle School Courtyard.
PTO will again be hosting a Parent Fellowship Coffee Social immediately following Mass. More information can be found in the PTO section below.
We would love for you to join us on this special day. We have so
many blessings to be grateful for and prayer is needed by so many people today. Let's come together to celebrate the never ending Love of Our Lord during Mass next Wednesday.
Service Projects During the Month of October:
- Food for Friends Food Drive - Next Friday, October 13
- Missionary Childhood Association Collection at Mass - Wednesday, October 11
- Pennies from Heaven supporting Respect Life Shelters - Oct. 9 - Oct. 20
As a community dedicated to a missionary spirit, like our patron St. Junipero Serra, we have service projects each month to support various organizations. You will find information on these Christian service projects mentioned in my section throughout the SerraDIPITY, and also on our website and Facebook page. Students learn about these projects on SerraVision and through their classrooms.
We understand that the recent tragedy in Las Vegas has been on everyone's mind. Most of us are engaging in discussions about safety with our family, friends and co-workers. We felt this would be a good time to review some of what we do here at St. Serra to ensure everyone's safety.
The safety of our students, staff and visitors is forefront in our minds and evident in the safety policies and procedures we have in place. These safety policies and procedures include a well-developed disaster preparedness plan that deals with lock-down situations, having a security guard in place, our School Office check-in system, our gated/closed campus, alarmed doors, and the installation of security cameras. There are numerous other safety measures in place; however, those are not made public as we need to safeguard those procedures from individuals that should not have this information. We work in consultation with the Orange County Sheriff's Department, and as a staff we continually look at what we have in place, assess effectiveness and make improvements as needed. Your continued support of our safety policies and procedures is appreciated as you help us to ensure everyone's safety.
Halloween Teaching and Doctrine of Our Catholic Faith
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School would like to support you in celebrating Halloween within the teachings and doctrine of our Catholic Faith. We as Catholics, are devoted to ensuring that our Catholic Faith has a presence in the society we live in. We at St. Serra are extremely aware of the popularity of Halloween and how that popularity has grown over the past years. We are excited to bring Halloween to St. Serra in a Catholic
to view the article that further explains the position in the Catholic Church as you work as a family to prepare to celebrate Halloween at St. Serra.
Students in grades Preschool-Eight wanting to participate in Halloween at St. Serra, may ONLY wear Halloween accessories.
The guidelines are very specific and non-negotiable. We are confident that the children can wear appropriate accessories within these guidelines.
Students whose accessories do not fall within the guidelines will be either sent home or asked to have their uniform brought to school to change into. We trust this will be a minimal issue with the support of you, the parent.
It is not mandatory for any student to participate.
Halloween Accessory Guidelines for students in Preschool-Grade Eight for October 31, 2017
Allowable accessories may include:
- Halloween-themed socks
- Harvest Festival shirt to support St. Junipero Serra Catholic
- Halloween-themed necklaces, earrings, bracelets, headbands, bows, ribbons, and rings
- There will not be any contests or parade.
- Make-up of any type, fake teeth, fake blood, scars and other violent makeup are not allowed.
- NO MASKS ALLOWED.
- NO dyed hair of any color.
- NO noise making accessories with bells or music.
- Any hats will need to be removed during class time.
- Students who do not follow these guidelines will be either sent home or asked to have their school uniform brought to school to change.
St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta is our role model of all that is good amidst all that is sad. She worked with the most challenged of human tragedy in our world. She chose to be a good person among all the chaos and sinfulness that surrounded her daily.
Let's each try to be a good person. If we can be the good, the Heart of Christ as St. Mother Teresa was, we can be that little shinning light of hope amid sadness.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
Scheduled Conference Times (Some teachers schedules will vary.)
Wednesday, October 17 from 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, October 18 from 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, October 19 from 7:30 - 11:00 a.m.
MANDATORY CONFERENCES for PRESCHOOL - GRADE 4
Parents will receive an email tomorrow, Friday, October 6 with a direct link and code to register for a conference.
The registration for
conference will initiate a confirmation email with a link to choose appointment times.
CONFERENCES for GRADES 5-8
If your child has
BELOW a 75% as of Friday, October 6
, it is required to attend a conference. You will receive an email on Friday, October 6 with a direct link and code to register for a conference.
The registration for
conference will initiate a confirmation email with a link to choose appointment times.
The conferences will be 15 minutes and your student MUST be present. IMPORTANT: You have priority to sign up from Friday-Monday. Please sign up as soon as possible. Appointments will be open for ALL PARENTS on Tuesday, October 10.
If your child has a
75% and ABOVE as of Friday, October 6
, it is not required to attend a conference however; you are invited to register to conference with your student's teacher. An email will be sent on Tuesday, October 10 with information to register for conferences. All conferences will be 15 minutes and your student MUST be present.
All elective teachers will be available for 15 minute drop-in conferencing as desired. PE, Music, Spanish, and Art teachers for TK-Grade 8 will be available in the Student Activity Center for festival conferences since they do not have an assigned classroom. Mrs. Ziemer will be available for conferencing in the PEB Technology Lab, Room A230.
2017 HARVEST FESTIVAL
Sunday, October 29, 2017
11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Reach out to the Harvest Leadership Team at
or check out the
HARVEST FESTIVAL HOMEPAGE
- Support Harvest Festival by participating in our Restaurant Fundraisers throughout the month of October. First one is ISLANDS RESTAURANT on Monday, October 9. More restaurant fundraisers to come. View the HARVEST FESTIVAL homepage for details.
- VIP PARKING RAFFLE - Check out the flyer in today's Monthly Envelope. Tired of the carpool line? Imagine how easy life would be if you were able to pull into your very own parking spot in the SJSC lot minutes before dismissal each day! Take a chance today!
- Ready for a little friendly competition? Introducing our NEW Cooking Challenges! Enter for a chance to win bragging rights along with a $25 Target gift card! Spots for these competitions are limited so SIGN UP today! There is a $10 entry fee per contestant.
- Apple Pie Bake Off - Bake your most scrumptious homemade apple pie
- Chili Cook Off - Whip up your secret chili recipe
"Pennies from Heaven" - Every Life is Worth Living
Starts Monday, October 9, 2017
The month of October is dedicated to Respect Life by our Catholic Church. Our annual outreach program "Pennies from Heaven", developed within the Diocese of Orange, will begin Monday, October 9. All students and staff will receive a new baby bottle to take home, fill up with donations and return back to school before Friday, October 20. These funds support local Respect Life shelters, clinics and centers which assist women and families in crisis. This collection is one substantial way for you to promote a culture of LIFE in our community. If you are writing a check, please make it payable to SJSCl and indicate "PFH" on the memo line. Thank you for your support!
PARENT FELLOWSHIP & COFFEE SOCIAL
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
10:30-11:00 a.m. in the SJSC Courtyard
"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
Please join us on Wednesday, October 11, immediately following our St. Serra Mass, for a PTO hosted Parent Coffee Social. Fourth Grade Room Parents will be providing light hospitality, coffee and water. Let's connect together as St. Serra parents. We look forward to seeing you there!
Month of October At-A-Glance
All parents are welcome to attend our next PTO Board Meeting on Thursday, October 12, at the San Francisco Solano Catholic Church Parish Center, 9:30
-11:30 a.m. Come and learn how you can become involved with the St. Serra Community! November meeting - Thursday, November 2
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9th, 16th, 23rd: Harvest Festival MOB DANCE practice for students
- 10th, 17th, 24th: PTO St. Serra Mom's Book Study Series
- 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th: Parent Rosary at the Blessed Mary Statue
- 11th: Mass for Grades 1-8 (Rosary prior to Mass); PTO Parent Fellowship & Coffee Social
- 12th: PTO Meeting - All parents welcome!
- 27th: Harvest Festival Student Rally
- 29th: Harvest Festival 2017
Congratulations and Thank You
- The 2017 St. Serra Catholic School Golf Classic took place last Thursday, September 28, at Tijeras Creek Golf Club. Together over 140 golfers, dinner and silent auction guests enjoyed a wonderful day and evening in support of our St. Serra students.
- Thank you to our GENEROUS SPONSORS, golfers and dinner guests. We are so grateful for your support.
- Thank you to Event Chairs Mike Ferletic, Alan Zawistoski, PTO VP - Golf Courtnay Flick and the GOLF TEAM who made the day's festivities possible. Thank you all for your generosity, time and support!
- St. Serra was also thrilled to welcome the Ball Drop Helicopter to campus last Friday. It was wonderful to see the excitement on our students' faces as the helicopter dropped thousands of balls onto the field.
Congratulations to Our Winners - Both On & Off the Course!
- Inaugural Trudell Cup - Mr. Vaughn
- 1st Place (Gross) - Jason Kezelman; Jess Feathers; Greg Peters; Rob Vaughn
- 1st Place (Net) - Ted Zambukos; Todd Ricker; Victor Santana; Demo Zeppos
- 1st Place (Women) - Raina Kezelman; Anna McGibbons; Robin Feathers; Naomi Peters
- Longest Drive (Men) - Jess Feathers
- Longest Drive (Women) - Teacia Andrew
- Closest to the Pin (Men) -Tim Santoni
- Closest to the Pin (Women) -Anne Cova
- Straightest Drive (Men) -Jay Wadkins
- Straightest Drive (Women) - Anna McGibbons
- Putting Contest (Men) - Nick Percival
- Putting Contest (Women) - Meghan Thompson
- Pink Ball Foursome - Jordan Paszczykowski, William Richard, Luke Hudson, Scott Silberberg
- 19th Hole Raffle - Kevin Kerley, winner of a seven-night stay at the Maui Kai at Ka'anapali Beach, Maui
- Helicopter Ball Drop Grand Prize Raffle - The Weber Family, winner of $3,000!
- Student Helicopter Ball Drop Winner -A. Kacer 7D, winner of $500!
Top Student Sellers:
- 1st place - K. Murray (3C) $500
- 2nd place - A. Sprague (5A) $300
- 3rd place - J. Cole (4C) $150
SUPPORT THE CHAPEL FUND BY SHOPPING WITH SCRIPSENSE!
What a convenient way to shop for all your needs and for a GREAT cause!
With over 450 merchants, you can virtually shop for anything online including groceries
Safeway Pavilions & VONS, Whole Foods, Amazon Pantry)
, movie tickets (Regal Theaters), and vacations (American Airlines, Southwest, Hotels.com, Hilton).
Check out the latest
or request a program invitation today by contacting the St. Serra Advancement Scripsense Coordinator, Cindy Carpino at x239!
Don't forget our Local Merchant program when dining at Hanna's. With your
local merchant icon, 10% of anything you eat or drink at Hanna's supports the chapel fund. No hard card necessary. All you need to do is present your mobile device with the
scripsense Local Merchant
icon to your server to scan upon paying your bill.
EARLY BIRD ORDERS ARE BEING TAKEN NOW
Thursday, October 12, 2017
to take advantage of the Early Bird price of $48 each!
Take advantage of the
EARLY BIRD yearbook price of $48.
This great price is only good for one more week!
Price will go up to $58 beginning Friday, October 13, 2017.
to place your order online!
- Add Recipient's Last Name to get started, then fill in the rest of the fields for your student. Recipient's E-mail would be your own and not the student's e-mail address. If you have a TK student, please select Pre-school as the grade and indicate TK "A" or "B" as the homeroom
- To place additional orders, you will have to click on the "Continue Shopping" button to add and complete order forms for any additional yearbooks you'd like to order for your student(s).
Have You Created and Purchased Your 2018 Dedication Ad Yet?
Take advantage of the
pricing by submitting your ad by
Sunday, November 26, 2017.
MEMORIAL ORNAMENTS &
IN REMEMBRANCE CARDS
In Remembrance Cards
Mass Intention Cards are enclosed in today's Family Envelope. Please return your Mass Intention card by October 31 for the Memorial Mass. Help us honor your loved ones by including a card as part of our remembrance.
Join us for our Annual Memorial Mass on Wednesday, November 1 at 9:30 a.m. As in previous years, Memorial Ornaments will be displayed on the Tree of Remembrance in our lobby from October 26 until November 18.
Procedures for hanging ornaments
- Newly Purchased Ornaments: If you purchased a 2017 Memorial Ornament it will be hung on the Tree of Remembrance by the Advancement Office. The ornaments will be blessed at the Memorial Mass and returned to you in the Monthly Envelope on Thursday, December 7 in order for you to hang it on your Christmas Tree at home.
- Previous Year's Ornaments: If you have ornaments from previous years and wish to have them included on the Tree of Remembrance and blessed by Father at the Memorial Mass, you may hang them on the tree as a family anytime on the following days; October 26, 27, or the 31. We ask that you personally REMOVE those ornaments no later than November 30.
Should you have any questions, please contact Pam Owens in the Advancement Office at ext. 165.
Parents/guardians must notify the school by
9:00 a.m. if a student will be absent from school. Messages may be left 24 hours a day on ext. 299, stating the child's name, homeroom teacher and reason for absence. If the school has not been notified of a student's absence by
9:00 a.m., parents/guardians will be contacted to verify absence.
Scrip Lifts Up SJSC:
Mark Your Calendars! Our annual Harvest Festival is coming up on Sunday, October 29, 2017. You can now make a donation to this event and earn scrip rebates at the same time, by purchasing gift cards from a "wish list" of items supplied by our Harvest Committee. To access the special Harvest Festival order form CLICK HERE and then click on the Harvest Festival Scrip Order Form Tab. The order form is also available at the Scrip Office. For more information or to place an order, please contact email@example.com.
Family Scrip Rebate Statements sent home today!
- Family Scrip Statements are enclosed in today's Monthly Envelope.
- Please review your scrip statement carefully and report any discrepancies to the Scrip Office.
- Only those families who have earned rebates will receive statements.
Did you remember to renew your registration in September? CLICK HERE for instructions.
RED LOBSTER & DARDEN.
Red Lobster will no longer be part of the Darden group of restaurants. They are still available separately at 8% rebate each. If you still have the old Darden cards, they will be redeemable at the restaurants listed on that card. If you reload these cards, please note that you will need new cards. The new cards will look like below:
SHOWTIME DANCE IS BACK ON THURSDAYS!
Showtime Dance Company will be providing an after-school enrichment dance program for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd-grade students. This class is a combination dance class that will include instruction and introduction to a variety of dance styles, including: Tap, Jazz/Hip-Hop, Ballet, and Musical Theater/Song & Dance.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
Festival Santiago - Santiago de Compostela Parish
October 14 & 15, 2017
This festival is one of the largest fundraisers for Santiago parish.
SATURDAY: 4:00 - 9:00 p.m.
SUNDAY: 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Food booths, live music, games, line dancing, fashion show, dunk tank, inflatable slide, watermelon eating contest, tumbola, cake walk and more!
Bring the family and join the fun!
Holy Trinity Parent Night
October 17, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
On October 17
Holy Trinity will be hosting "Holy Trinity Parent Night" from
6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
including dinner and discussion with a special guest speaker. This is aimed at all parents of teenagers and soon-to-be teenagers (middle school parents), so any parent from 6
grade. The topic of the evening is "understanding the teenage brain" and will have some very helpful information and insight for parents. CLICK HERE for a flyer with more information.
San Francisco Solano Parish Youth Faith Formation Programs
Santa Margarita Catholic High School Open House
Experience firsthand why Santa Margarita Catholic High School is the school of choice among families seeking a Catholic college preparatory education.
for more information
Sacred Heart Kids Club
Thursday Afternoons from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Sacred Heart Kids' Club provides a joyful and welcoming atmosphere for students in grades 3 - 8
. The club meetings include games, crafts, lessons, snacks, and prayer time.
Registration for Sacred Heart Kid's Club is on October 5 at 3:30, and the first club meeting is Thursday, October 12. CLICK HERE for more information.