Volume 23 * Issue 07 * October 12, 2017
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A Message From President Trudell
Best of LA & OC
happy to announce that we have once again been selected by the Best of LA & OC TV as a Top-10 Southern California
Private School Honoree for this year. Please click below to watch the video.
|2017 St. Junipero Serra Catholic School
Our video began airing this week on Spectrum and Cox Cable networks. CLICK HERE to view the video air dates for the month of October.
Red Ribbon/Spirit Week
To kick-off our celebration of Red Ribbon/Spirit Week, October 23 - October 27, the theme for the first day will be
Pink-Out Day to
support Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
We continue the celebration with different themes/activities throughout the week, culminating with College Day on
Friday, October 27
for a full descrip
tion of the activities and spirit attire for each day.
For Spirit Week, students must abide by our dress code and the spirit attire guidelines. Questions regarding Red Ribbon Week/Spirit Week should be addressed to Mr. Corey Overton at
Food For Friends
"Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon."
Thank you to all who supported our first "Food for Friends" food drive last month. Your generosity was overflowing!
Friday, October 13, we will once again collect food to support our parish San Francisco Solano. We hope to generate some friendly competition again this week among the classrooms.
Food drives strengthen our community by giving us an opportunity to live the Gospel teachings of Jesus, "Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me."
Not sure what to donate? Non-perishable canned goods or dry foods are welcome. Please refer to the flyer in last week's Monthly Envelope and thank you for recycling and using your own grocery bag this month.
" - Every Life is Worth Living - Oct. 9-
we kicked off the annual Respect Life Month or "Pennies from Heaven" program developed within the Diocese of Orange. All students and staff should have received a new baby bottle to take home. Thank you for filling it with your donations and returning it back to school by Monday, Oct 23
. These funds support local Respect Life shelters which assist women and families in crisis. Thank you for promoting a culture of LIFE in our community. If you are writing a check, please make it payable to SJSC and indicate "PFH" on the memo line.
CLICK HERE for a video of how our Serenade choir is
supporting the voiceless.
The Great California Shakeout 2017
October 19, 2017
St. Serra Catholic School will be participating in The Great California ShakeOut 2017.
Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 10:19 a.m.
With? Millions of other Southern Californians
Why? To prepare our students in the event that there is a real earthquake. Also, it is always a good idea to practice our disaster plan.
How long will the drill take? The drill should not take longer than 60 minutes.
What do parents need to do? We do not need parents to participate in the drill here on campus. We will not be asking you to come pick up your students for this drill. However, we encourage you to participate in the Great Southern California ShakeOut at home or your place of business.
Questions/Concerns? Contact Mr. Corey Overton, Assistant Principal, Student Services at
or 949-888-1990 ext.180.
This year we received a large number of changes to family information. In order to ensure that we have the most up-to-date and accurate information in the Family Directory, the publishing of the directory on our website has been delayed. The Family Directory should be available on the parent-protected section of our website in the coming weeks. Once the Family Directory is available we will announce it in the SerraDIPITY. We apologize for the inconvenience this may be causing and thank you for your patience.
| How often do we wonder if the decisions we are making are the right ones, best for our family, friends, peers, ourselves? It is true that the best decisions we make are the ones that we feel at PEACE with in our hearts.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
Specific grade level sign up information was emailed to you.
Scheduled Conference Times (Times/Days may vary by teacher)
Wednesday, October 17 from 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, October 18 from 2:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, October 19 from 7:30 - 11:00 a.m.
MANDATORY CONFERENCES for PRESCHOOL - GRADE 4
Please make sure you have signed up for a conference for next week.
CONFERENCES for GRADES 5-8
- If your child had BELOW a 75% as of Friday, October 6, it is required to attend a conference. Please make sure you have signed up for a conference for next week.
- If your child had a 75% or ABOVE as of Friday, October 6, it is not required to attend a conference; however, you are invited to register to conference with your student's teacher.
EXTENDED CARE DURING CONFERENCES
Extended Care will be available for St. Junipero Serra Catholic School students, who are registered for Extended Care, until 6:00 p.m. on October 18 and 19. There will be no Extended Care on Friday, October 20. Students in Grades 3-8 are expected to attend conferences with their parents. Students in Preschool - Grade 2 do not attend the conferences. Please be sure to make arrangements for child care if needed.
2017 HARVEST FESTIVAL
Sunday, October 29, 2017
11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Support Harvest Festival by participating in our FUNraiser at Chuck E. Cheese in Foothill Ranch tomorrow! Grab your friends and head over for a playdate! Download the CHUCK E. CHEESE FLYER for complete details.
- SERRA'S GOT TALENT is back so get your act together! Auditions will be held on Monday, October 16 in the Library beginning at 3:30 p.m.
- SIGN UP now for a volunteer shift to work at the festival!
- Every St. Serra family makes Harvest Festival possible when you choose to support via UNDERWRITING or GRAND PRIZE RAFFLE. Shop the special Harvest Festival SCRIP ORDER FORM or view our WISH LIST for other donation ideas as well!
- Don't forget to ORDER your Harvest Festival t-shirts!
- Game/Food tickets go on sale next week. New this year - Bungee and Surfrider Challenge, along with old favorites Giant Slide, Water Wars, Petting Zoo and much more!
- Questions? Reach out to the Harvest Leadership Team at email@example.com or check out the HARVEST FESTIVAL HOMEPAGE.
SECOND GRADE SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION
If your second-grade child is going to receive the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist this spring, you must contact your parish to register them for Sacramental Preparation. Information from your parish Faith Formation Director was given out at Back-to-School Night. If you have not already done so, please register as soon as possible.
Click the appropriate link below for registration information from each parish.
Take advantage of the
EARLY BIRD yearbook price of $48.
Price goes up to TOMORROW to $58!
YEARBOOK EARLY BIRD PRICING
Today is the last day for Discounted Pricing
to place your order online!
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION
First Clipping Deadline Oct. 19
- Help us earn extra cash for our school programs! Plus, participating students have the opportunity to win some exciting incentives.
- Deadline for our first Opportunity Drawing is Thursday, October 19. Box Tops must be turned in by 8:00 a.m. on this day.
- For every 5 Box Tops a student turns in, that student's name will be entered in this drawing for a chance to win a $25 gift card. Send the coupons in a zipper bag or envelope (label with your child's full name and homeroom).
- Visit the BOX TOPS WEBPAGE to learn about the program and for a list of participating products.
- Questions? Contact Box Tops Chair Kelly Smith Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org or your Homeroom Box Tops Coordinator.
- The SJSC Community is SerraStrong as a result of our parents' generous time and talent. Visit this month's VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES for volunteering ideas and upcoming event needs.
Outreach Ministries - Our Faith in Action
- We lift you up to the Lord. Join us as we pray for our SerraStrong community. Please contact Anastacia Escoboza-Henry at email@example.com with a prayer request or to be added to the Partners in Prayer email list. For more information, please visit our OUTREACH MINISTRIES webpage.
STUDENT STORE UPDATE
- The On-Line Student Store will be down for maintenance, starting Friday, October 13 through Sunday, October 15. Thank you for your understanding.
- Please be sure, when placing your orders, that you list the registered family's last name and the student's last name, if different. This will expedite the delivery of your order. This can be done on the page where you enter your credit card information.
- Don't forget to ORDER your Harvest Festival t-shirts!
Please note that we are out of the following sizes:
- Crew - Youth XSmall, Youth XLarge, Adult Medium, Adult XXLarge
- V-Neck: Youth XSmall, Youth XLarge
- Other sizes are available in both styles.
New items coming:
Please stop by the Student Store booth at Harvest Festival, to see the new and exciting SJSC Logo items!
HALLOWEEN TEACHING AND DOCTRINE OF OUR CATHOLIC FAITH
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School would like to support you in celebrating Halloween within the teachings and doctrine of our Catholic Faith. We as Catholics, are devoted to ensuring that our Catholic Faith has a presence in the society we live in. We at St. Serra are extremely aware of the popularity of Halloween and how that popularity has grown over the past years. We are excited to bring Halloween to St. Serra in a Catholic
to view the article that further explains the position in the Catholic Church as you work as a family to prepare to celebrate Halloween at St. Serra.
Students in grades Preschool-Eight wanting to participate in Halloween at St. Serra, may ONLY wear Halloween accessories.
The guidelines are very specific and non-negotiable. We are confident that the children can wear appropriate accessories within these guidelines.
Students whose accessories do not fall within the guidelines will be either sent home or asked to have their uniform brought to school to change into. We trust this will be a minimal issue with the support of you, the parent.
It is not mandatory for any student to participate.
Halloween Accessory Guidelines for students in Preschool-Grade Eight for October 31, 2017
Allowable accessories may include:
- Halloween-themed socks
- Harvest Festival shirt to support St. Junipero Serra Catholic
- Halloween-themed necklaces, earrings, bracelets, headbands, bows, ribbons, and rings
- There will not be any contests or parade.
- Make-up of any type, fake teeth, fake blood, scars and other violent makeup are not allowed.
- NO MASKS ALLOWED.
- NO dyed hair of any color.
- NO noise making accessories with bells or music.
- Any hats will need to be removed during class time.
- Students who do not follow these guidelines will be either sent home or asked to have their school uniform brought to school to change.
Order Now for November!
In-N-Out ordering for November is now open. In-N-Out will only be served two Thursdays in November, the 9th & 16th.
to visit the In-N-Out page on our website to place your order for November.
Please Note: You will be ordering for the entire month. If you would like your student to receive one sandwich on each day please select Meal Choice 1, if you would like your student two sandwiches on each day, please select Meal Choice 2.
LUNCH/RECESS DUTY SCHEDULING REMINDER
Due by October 31, 2017
Please contact Rosie Chavez, Yard Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 140, to schedule your required hours before Tuesday, October 31. Please remember that you only need
to schedule your lunch/recess duty
by this date
Families will have the opportunity to perform their required hours up until Monday, April 30, 2018.
2017 GOLF CLASSIC
We Need Your Feedback!
Did you support, attend or volunteer at the 22nd Annual Golf Classic? We invite you to provide feedback in the
22ND ANNUAL GOLF CLASSIC EVENT SURVEY
. The survey is only 11 quick questions and will be available until Friday, October 27. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts with us.
SEASON'S TUITION ASSISTANCE LUNCHEON
FULFILL A LARGE PORTION OF YOUR SERVICE HOURS!
- Love to decorate?
- Do you plan themed birthday parties?
- Are you creative and looking for a way to use those talents?
- Do you want/need to perform a lot of your service hours on your own time or from home?
We have the volunteer opportunity for you! We are looking for hostesses to plan and decorate a themed table for our Tuition Assistance Luncheon in January.
Experience not required. We have mentors to guide you through the process. We also have hostesses looking for a partner...this may be a great way to become involved.
This is an amazing event in which to be a part of. Not only will you meet new people, but you will be involved in helping gift a Catholic education to students in need.
If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Pam Owens at
or at 888-1990 ext. 165. If you attempted to contact
and you did not receive a response, please try again directly to Pam, as we were having issues with the seasons email address.
A reminder to all Hostesses, your Interest/Profile forms are due this Friday, October 13. You may turn them in to the School Office, Attention Advancement Office or scan them to
Seasonshostess@serrschool.org. Thank you!
Scrip Lifts Up SJSC:
Mark Your Calendars! Our annual Harvest Festival will take place on Sunday, October 29, 2017. You can now make a donation to this event and earn scrip rebates at the same time, by purchasing gift cards from a "wish list" of items supplied by our Harvest Committee. To access the special Harvest Festival Order Form, CLICK HERE and then click on the Harvest Festival Scrip Order Form Tab. The Order Form is also available at the Scrip Office. For more information or to place an order, please contact
Ralph's Rebate Reporting:
for quarter ending August 31, 2017 are now due. All rebate information for quarter ending August 31, 2017 must be emailed to the Scrip Coordinator by Friday, October 27, 2017. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE FOR LATE REPORTS DUE TO RESTRICTIONS FROM RALPH'S. CLICK HERE
for St. Serra's procedures to obtain your family's Ralph's rebate information.
RED LOBSTER & DARDEN.
Red Lobster will no longer be part of the Darden group of restaurants. They are still available separately at 8% rebate each. If you still have the old Darden cards, they will be redeemable at the restaurants listed on that card. If you reload these cards, please note that you will need new cards. The new cards will look like below:
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
Festival Santiago - Santiago de Compostela Parish
This Weekend! October 14 & 15, 2017
This festival is one of the largest fundraisers for Santiago parish.
SATURDAY: 4:00 - 9:00 p.m.
SUNDAY: 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Food booths, live music, games, line dancing, fashion show, dunk tank, inflatable slide, watermelon eating contest, tumbola, cake walk and more!
Bring the family and join the fun!
Holy Trinity Parent Night
October 17, 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
On October 17
Holy Trinity will be hosting "Holy Trinity Parent Night" from
6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
including dinner and discussion with a special guest speaker. This is aimed at all parents of teenagers and soon-to-be teenagers (middle school parents), so any parent from 6
grade. The topic of the evening is "understanding the teenage brain" and will have some very helpful information and insight for parents. CLICK HERE for a flyer with more information.
San Francisco Solano Parish Youth Faith Formation Programs
Sacred Heart Kids Club
Thursday Afternoons from 3:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Sacred Heart Kids' Club provides a joyful and welcoming atmosphere for students in grades 3 - 8
. The club meetings include games, crafts, lessons, snacks, and prayer time.
Registration for Sacred Heart Kid's Club is on October 5 at 3:30, and the first club meeting is today, Thursday, October 12. CLICK HERE for more information.
Santa Margarita Catholic High School Open House
Experience firsthand why Santa Margarita Catholic High School is the school of choice among families seeking a Catholic college preparatory education.
for more information
City of Rancho Santa Margarita
Art Contest ~ New Year's Eve Event
The City of Rancho Santa Margarita is enthusiastically preparing for their "Celebrating Family & Friends" New Year's Eve event, which will take place on Sunday, December 31 from 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. at Central Park. One of the highlights of the event is the Children's Art Contest - which will be displayed in the Bell Tower Community Center.
for more information on both the Art Contest guidelines and the New Year's Eve event. Flyers are also available int he School Office.