Volume 23 * Issue 12 * November 16, 2017
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
Our Special Gifts of the Season
I await with great anticipation once again this year, for this wonderful Advent Season when our beautiful, spirited children are able to provide their parents and other family members, this 'Special Gift of the Season'.
This year's Christmas performances will all be held in the Muzzy Family Student Activity Center on the following dates:
- TK, Kindergarten, and Grade 1 - Friday, December 1 at 10:00 a.m.
- Grades 5-8 - Tuesday, December 5 at 7:00 p.m.
- Grades 2-4 - Thursday, December 7 at 7:00 p.m.
- Preschool - Friday, December 15 at 10:00 a.m.
All students Preschool through Grade 8 should wear their Christmas best!
We ask that you please abide by the SJSC uniform dress code.
- Nice dresses, skirts, or dress pants for girls
- Nice pants and dress shirts for boys; ties are optional
- Christmas accessories should be kept to a minimum
- No shorts, jeans, leggings, or open-toe shoes
Please look for detailed information regarding arrival times and parking for the two evening concerts in the November 30 SerraDIPITY.
Parking for Grades TK/K/1
Neighborhood: We DO NOT have an exemption to the Permit Parking Program on this day, but you are free to park in the neighborhood beginning at 9:00 a.m.
Inner Road: Enter the main parking lot from Banderas via the road near Kindergarten. There will be no access off of Antonio. The Banderas entrance will be marked with a cone and a staff member will be standing near the entrance, so please watch for them and follow their direction.
Memorial Care Parking Lot:
NO PARKING in the Memorial Care lot as they will be open for business and need the spaces for their staff and patients.
"Upon this rock I will buil
d my church."
Our students have been busy decorating rocks, which will be placed in the slab underneath the altar of our Chapel. We invite you to join them in this sacred project and decorate your own rock. Rocks and pens can be found at the School Office from now until December 4. All rocks will be collected at that time to prepare for a special ceremony that will take place later that week. Please watch for important updates in the next SerraDIPITY for more information about that ceremony.
"Pennies from Heaven" - Every Life is Worth Living
Last month we held our annual "Pennies from Heaven" program in support of local Respect Life shelters which assist women and families in crisis.
Thanks to your continued generosity, SJSC was able to send a check in the amount of $6,508 to the office of, "Life, Justice & Peace". Your donations will continue to save the lives of the unborn within our community. Please see the
Diocese of Orange website
for the medical facilities you have endorsed. Thank you for promoting a culture of LIFE in our community.
Adopt-A-Family Advent Program
As mentioned in last week's SerraDIPITY, our St. Serra community will once again be supporting the
Adopt-A-Family Advent Program through Catholic Charities of Orange County. Please look for a Constant Contact email on Friday explaining the Adopt-A-Family program in more detail. Thank you for supporting this very special and much needed Advent program.
Please watch for a special Thanksgiving Constant Contact from me next Tuesday, November 21.
God is Good All the Time...All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
TRIMESTER 1 Ends This Friday, November 17.
Information for accessing your child's Trimester 1
STUDENT LEARNING ASSESSMENT
(Kindergarten - Grade 8 ONLY) will be included in the November 30 edition of the SerraDipity.
May the blessings of this Thanksgiving fill your heart and home.
Mrs. Carol Reiss and Mrs. Julie Tipton
STUDENT FORMAL UNIFORM DRESS TOMORROW
As a reminder, we will be having a special guest from the Diocese (Mrs. Sally Todd, Interim Superintendent of Catholic Schools) visiting our campus TOMORROW,
Friday, November 17 so we have added formal uniform as the required dress for students in grades TK - 7.
The only exception to this is students who have P.E. and 8th-grade students who will follow the directive given to them regarding dress for their retreat tomorrow.
TUITION ASSISTANCE LUNCHEON TICKETS
Plans are underway for January's Tuition Assistance Luncheon. Reservations are coming in, hostesses are planning their tables,
and the committee is working on every detail to ensure you enjoy this very special day.
Help us make this event a success:
- Register - Early bird will only last until November 30 at 3:00 p.m. Reserve your seat at the low price of $65 before registration goes up to $85. Nearly 70% of the seats have already been reserved and we expect to sell out well before the day of the event.
- Become an underwriter - Help us keep the cost of the event down so that 100% of the proceeds can go directly to serve those who need it most - students and families for whom a Catholic education would be impossible without tuition assistance.
- Fill our Opportunity Treasure Baskets - These popular baskets are a hit with participants and help raise more funds than would be possible in other ways - often exceeding the value of the items! Please see our wish list of specific items and consider contributing one or more items to the baskets.
- Want to double dip? Check out this list of Scrip Cards that can be purchased for donation to our baskets. The Luncheon gets fabulous Opportunity Drawings and YOU KEEP THE SCRIP CREDIT! And Yes, we thought of you and the donation percentage when we were making the selections. For more information or to donate an item, please contact Karin Hendrick, Event Chairman, at email@example.com.
On behalf of the children who will benefit from your support in ways we cannot measure, thank you for your participation and your help with this year's luncheon. We look forward to seeing you there!
For a limited time only, you can purchase Scrip with your credit card.
Spread the Holiday cheer and earn FPF rebates!
NEW this week.
..the minimum order has been
when ordering Scrip with your credit card.
for a list of available vendors, ordering instructions and delivery schedule.
Maximize your rebates during the holiday season by using shopwithscrip.com
. This is the time of the year when they run promotions with additional rebate percentages.
Reminder - no orders on Monday, November 20
due to the Thanksgiving Holiday.
Virtual and Reloadable cards
will be available through the break.
Scrip Afternoon Sales - REVISED
Please note the new time for afternoon sales on Thursdays will be from 1:30-2:30 p.m.
now available via weekly order ONLY. Please feel free to add them to the green weekly order sheet.
- $5 - Barnes & Noble, Panera, Starbucks
- $10 - Albertsons, Amazon, Applebee's, CVS, Olive Garden, The Home Depot, IHOP, Outback, Red Lobster, Regal, Target, Walmart
For questions on any of the above or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Scrip Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Council will be selling
Santa Grams starting on
Monday, November 27 through Wednesday, December 6, 2017.
- Santa Grams are $1 each and include a peppermint candy cane as well as a personalized message. If you do not wish to give candy, but would like to give a pencil instead, please indicate "Pencil" on the back of your order form.
- You may pay with cash or check (payable to St. Junipero Serra Catholic).
- All payment must be enclosed with your completed forms. Please turn in your orders to the School Office with attention to "Santa Grams".
- Orders will be accepted until Wednesday, December 6.
- Santa Grams will be delivered to classrooms the week of December 11. We cannot accommodate individual requests for delivery dates/times.
Thank you for your support,
SJSC Student Council Santa Helpers
GIVING TUESDAY IS COMING - NOVEMBER 28, 2017
YEARBOOK DEDICATION AD -
DON'T MISS OUT ON THE LOWER PRICING!
pricing ends soon! Submit your ad by
Sunday, November 26, 2017 to take advantage of the lower pricing. The next pricing deadline is January 7, 2018. CLICK HERE for pricing, deadlines and information on creating your ad, or visit our Yearbook Page on our website.
SANTA'S SECRET CHRISTMAS SHOP COMING SOON!
Envelopes Due Tomorrow, November 17
"It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas"....
Our 2017 Santa's Secret Christmas Shop is ready to open Monday, November 27!
- Santa's Secret Christmas Shop envelopes for participating students are due to your Homeroom Teachers tomorrow, Friday, November 17.
- Visit the SANTA'S SECRET CHRISTMAS SHOP webpage to preview the Gift Catalog and help your students plan their shopping trip and budget.
- The Class Shopping Schedule is located in the PARENTS ONLY PASSWORD-PROTECTED section of the St. Serra website.
- Santa's Helpers Needed! If you are interested in helping your child's classroom shop, please contact your Room Parent.
- Volunteering for the event? Don't forget to use the Campus Shuttle to ease parking
Please contact our 2017 Santa's Secret Christmas Shop Event Chairs Joan Baird and Heather Boyajian at
As we continue our commitment to STEAM education and look forward to our new facility, we encourage our students to
participate in AFTER SCHOOL STEAM Classes.
LEGO MINDSTORM ROBOTICS (Beginning Class)
4th - 8th grade students are invited to be a part of St. Serra's BEGINNING LEGO Robotics After School Class.
Powered by the LEGO Mindstorms Education EV3 Base Set and software, students will explore the exciting world of robotics and engineering. Combining the versatility of the LEGO building system and intuitive drag-and-drop programming software, this adventure will have students working in teams, making friends, and creating robots from day one. CLICK HERE
for more information.
LEGO MINDSTORM ROBOTICS (Intermediate Class)
4th - 8th grade students with Robotics experience are invited to be a part of St. Serra's LEGO Robotics Intermediate After School Class.
Students will learn intermediate and advanced features to help them complete more complex challenges with the EV3 Base Set and LEGO Building system. CLICK HERE
for more information.
CHAPEL FUND CAMPAIGN POWERED by SCRIPSENSE
Shop Black Friday deals & earn money towards your family's
Chapel Fund donation!
EXTENDED CARE NEWS
There is NO AFTERNOON Preschool or TK - Grade 8 Extended Care on
Friday, December 15
. This is a minimum day and the last day of school before Christmas Break. Extended Care will be open the morning of
. Please plan accordingly!
There will be NO In-N-Out lunches during the month of December
. Please plan accordingly.
Monthly Ordering for January and Annual Ordering (Jan-May) opens TODAY. CLICK HERE to place your January order. CLICK HERE to place your Yearly Order.
Orders for both January and Annual close on Friday, December 15 at 3:00 p.m.
REMEMBER TO CLIP BOX TOPS DURING THE HOLIDAYS!
Thank you to all our St. Serra families who have been clipping box tops to help us earn extra cash for our school programs. With the Thanksgiving Holiday upon us, keep an eye out for box tops on all those holiday fixings. Our school earns 10 cents for every coupon...it all adds up! Our next incentive drawing will be in February. Plus, the individual homeroom that collects the most Box Tops through May 18 will win a Pizzookie Party (Pizza and Cookies)! Visit the BOX TOPS HOMEPAGE for more details.
NOMINATIONS OPEN ALL YEAR FOR ST. JUNIPERO SERRA AWARD
Would you like to recognize a "stand out" volunteer? Maybe you met someone at the Golf Tournament, at Harvest Festival, or around campus. All are invited to submit nominations for parent volunteers to be considered for the St. Junipero Serra Outstanding Service and Christian Leadership Award. Potential recipients are nominated by SJSC parents, faculty and staff. Winners will be presented with the award at our annual Anchor Ball event in the Spring.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
Are you ready to start applying to high schools? Register for the High School Placement Test Review at JSerra on December 2
from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
JSerra High School Admissions
JSerra offers the High School Placement Test on January 20
and February 3
from 7:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Dr. Courtney Harkins will give a talk during each testing session entitled, "My Teen is in High School - Now What?" and campus tours will be available.
Visit JSerra's Open House on January 21
from 2:00-4:00 p.m., or sign up for a Shadow day to get a more in-depth look at what a day as a Lion is like.
Mater Dei High School Admissions
Applications our now available for the 2018-2019 school year.
for more information about the admissions process, campus tours, the upcoming Performing Arts Faire and more.
Servite High School Admissions
Come "Discover Servite" at Servite's Open House on
Sunday, December 3 from 12:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Servite has sixty years of experience in forming young men into the leaders of
Speak with current students, teachers, administrators and coaches about what sets Servite apart with the Brotherhood, its unique Formation Program and vision of leadership
Tour the campus and facilities, including the newly built Fr. Fitzpatrick Aquatic Center
Performances from Tri-School Theatre and demonstrations from the Robotics Team
Learn about Scholarships & Tuition Assistance opportunities & much more.
City of Rancho Santa Margarita
Art Contest ~ New Year's Eve Event
The City of Rancho Santa Margarita is enthusiastically preparing for their "Celebrating Family & Friends" New Year's Eve event, which will take place on Sunday, December 31 from 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. at Central Park. One of the highlights of the event is the Children's Art Contest - which will be displayed in the Bell Tower Community Center.
for more information on both the Art Contest guidelines and the New Year's Eve event. Flyers are also available in the School Office.