Volume 23 * Issue 20 * February 8, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
LENTEN THEME 2018
Each year St. Junipero Serra Catholic School has a focus for Lent that supports our forty-day spiritual journey. For Lent 2018, our theme is, "Christ's Love Knows No Limits". Our virtue for this school year is Love. Our theme continues to connect our focus on this virtue and the love we share as a community of Christians. It is His love for us that He bore the sins of the word. Mark's Gospel tells us to
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself and see the love of Christ in all people.
You will see images of hearts adorned with crosses throughout our campus as a living sign of Christ's love for us. Lent invites us to turn our minds and hearts back to the God of mercy and love. As we begin this season, may we find new encouragement to open our hearts to respond to God's grace and to lead others to do the same.
"Lent is the favorable season for renewing our encounter with Christ, living in his word, in the sacraments and in our neighbor." Pope Francis
ASH WEDNESDAY MASS
Wednesday, February 14, is the beginning of the Lenten season in our Catholic Church. Please join us for Mass at
9:30 a.m. in the Student Activity Center, celebrated by our school chaplain Father Jim Dunning. We begin a 40-day journey of repentance through prayer, fasting, and alms-giving. Ashes will be distributed at Mass for grades 1-8. Preschool, TK and Kindergarten students will receive ashes in the classroom following SerraVision that morning.
This is a formal uniform day for ALL students. Once again we will have a collection at the entrance to Mass for the
Missionary Childhood Association, so please encourage your children to do an extra chore around the house so they are able to bring in some change to donate to those in need and to fulfill their Lenten almsgiving.
Plan to arrive earlier and join other parents as they pray the Rosary before Mass beginning at
8:45 a.m. in Extended Care. Everyone is welcome!
For your convenience, we do have parking in the neighborhood on this Mass day, but NO PARKING in the Memorial Health Care parking lot.
Click image to enlarge
SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING VALENTINE'S DAY
Due to Valentine's Day falling on Ash Wednesday this year, students will be celebrating Valentine's Day in their classrooms on Tuesday, February 13. Students may wear Valentine's accessories (socks, bows, necklaces, etc.) with their uniform top and bottoms on that day.
Thursday, February 22
- Our Lenten journey is a time of spiritual renewal to heal, forgive and renew.
- Guest Speaker Alexis Walkenstein, renowned journalist and radio host of "Mary's Touch," will guide us to the foot of the cross with Mary's help.
- Ticket price is $20 per person.
- REGISTER NOW or visit the St. Serra App (Parents> PTO Event Links> Lenten Retreat). For more information, visit the Lenten Retreat webpage.
- Questions? Contact Kathy Bonin at email@example.com.
OPERATION RICE BOWL LENTEN SERVICE PROJECT
|CRS Rice Bowls song by SJSC Serra Singers
SJSC will start our Operation Rice Bowl Lenten Service Project next Wednesday, February 14, 2018. Your child will receive a rice bowl to help them reflect on their Lenten sacrifice. Students can fill their rice bowl with as little or as much money as desired, and then turn in their bowls to their teacher. Collections will be made throughout Lent. Thank you for your time and generosity! More information about this service project can be found at crsricebowl.org
Join nearly 14,000 faith communities in 180 dioceses around the U.S. in prayer, fasting and almsgiving this Lent. Together, we will serve our brothers and sisters most in need around the world while forming families and faith communities in global solidarity. Take action to build the culture of encounter as missionary disciples with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) this Lent.
- Through prayer, we encounter Christ, present in the faces of every member of our human family, so often still walking that long road to Calvary.
- Through fasting, we encounter our own obstacles, those things about ourselves that prevent us from loving God and neighbor.
- Through almsgiving, we encounter our brothers and sisters around the world, asking what we can give up so that others might have life to the fullest.
IMPORTANT CALENDAR DATES FOR THE UPCOMING SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019
We are excited to open the new school year 2018-2019 with our entire campus completed. To ensure we are ready to welcome everyone back, our school calendar begins after Labor day 2018.
For your planning purposes, we would like to provide you with these key dates for the upcoming school year only:
September 4 (Tuesday) - First Day of School TK-8 - Minimum Day
October 29 - No School
November 2 - No School (Teacher In-service Day)
November 19-23 - Thanksgiving Break (return November 26)
December 20-January 2 - Christmas Break (return January 3)
January 21 - No School
February 18 - No School
April 19-April 26 - Easter Break (return April 29)
May 27 - No School
June 18 - Last Day of School
The Year-at-a-Glance Calendar with more specific information will be published towards the end of April.
we will have more information regarding your orientation and start dates in the near future.
Save the Date for a Weekend of Celebration and Blessing of our Chapel, October 6-7, 2018. Special visit by Bishop Vann, family events, tours and prayer services/Mass plus much more.
CHAPEL PROMENADE PAVER OPPORTUNITY DEADLINE EXTENDED
Due to the influx of Promenade Paver donations being made this month, we were able to work with the signage company to get an extension to the deadline for this special opportunity. Paver inscriptions are still available for those who would like to leave their lasting footprint on our final phase of the campus. All details of this special Chapel appeal can be found
with the order form being at the bottom of that page. A sample paver is now available in the school lobby for you to view. Thank you in advance for your support of this exciting project!
God often throws us a curve ball, especially when we think our "sails" are guiding us smoothly in the right direction. However, God also gives us the strength to adjust our "sails" so we can continue on the right path. I hope you join me in knowing that we can't stop the curve balls, but we are strong enough to handle anything and move forward. Siempre Adelante!
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
|GUEST SPEAKER EVENT - "CHARACTER DOES MATTER"
Friday, February 16,
students in Grades 3-8 will attend a guest speaker presentation by the Travis Manion Foundation, "Character Does Matter".
for more details .
LOOKING FOR A FEW GREAT VOLUNTEERS!
Our sports-themed Family STEAM Night 2018 will be March 13, 2018 from 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. on the St. Junipero Serra Catholic School Campus. We need parent volunteers to help with set up, serving, check in, and clean up. Please SIGN UP to help and earn service hours. Thank you!
TOMORROW - FOOD FOR FRIENDS
Friday, February 9, 2018
will be our monthly food drive to support Santiago de Compostela
Your student will bring home a half-page flyer today as a reminder for this event
Please contact Louise Valdez
with any questions.
YEARBOOK DEDICATION AD - DEADLINE EXTENDED!
FINAL DEADLINE - FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 16
We wish to apologize to those who experienced technical difficulty placing their dedication ad
due to the volume of ads being placed
on Sunday, February 4. In light of these difficulties, we were granted an extension to the final deadline for dedication ads to Friday, February 16. This will be the absolute final deadline - so get those ads in today!
to place your ad.
SPRING SPORTS TRYOUTS AND SIGN-UP INFORMATION
Interested student athletes should stop by the P.E. Office during school hours to sign up. If you haven't filled out this years tryout form,
before the first tryout or sign-up day. Here are the dates to remember:
COED SOCCER - FIELD
Tryout Date: Monday, February 12
- 5th Grade: 2:45-3:45
- 6th Grade: 3:45-5:00
Tryout Date: Wednesday, February 14
- 7th Grade: 2:45-3:45
- 8th Grade: 3:45-5:00
Tryout Date: Thursday, February 15
SignUp Day: February 21, 2018, 2:45 - 3:30. Meeting with coach/coaches (SAC) Grades 5-8
TRACK & FIELD
Open to students in Grades 1 - 8. Track & Field sign ups will be held from February 12 - 16, 2018, between 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Students may come to the P.E. office to sign up and try on the new Track & Field t-shirts.
*** February 27, 2018 - Spring Parent Sports Meeting (SAC) @ 5:30-6:30 p.m.***
SUESSICAL JR. AUDITIONS ARE COMING SOON!
Students in Grades One Through Eight Are Invited to Audition
Seussical Jr. auditions are coming up and students in grades one through eight are invited to audition. Students need to complete and submit an audition application by TODAY,
February 8, 2018
. Audition applications and musical info can be found on the
SJSC musical web page
(Campus Life>Theatre Arts) and you can email Janess Sifers at
for additional info.
February 12 (Grades 1-4) in 2C classroom
February 13 (Grades 5-8) in the SAC
GRANDPARENTS & SPECIAL FRIENDS DAY IS
Grandparents & Special Friends Day is Friday, March 2, 2018. Many guests have already RSVP'd. Please tell your special guests that if they have not already replied, to do so by using the RSVP card they received with their invitation, or by going to the online registration form.
Should you have any questions, please contact Cindy Carpino in the Advancement Office at ext. 239.
We look forward to seeing everyone in March!
WE HAVE WALLS...WE NEED YOUR HELP TODAY!
If you are one of the families who has helped raise just over $75,000...Thank you! This will help us furnish the Student Creation Center with items to enhance your child's learning experience.
Right now, as you can see, the building is empty but it will not be for long! Come July, we will be ready to fill that space with new and exciting items like coding kits, 3D printers, projection and sound equipment, etc. Won't you please consider donating today to help your child thrive in all areas as we continue to educate the WHOLE child.
Please do your part and
today! The staff and students thank you!
23rd ANNUAL ANCHOR BALL
Gift Gathering Social
with Mrs. Trudel
- Taco Tuesday
- Please join us for Taco Tuesday with our amazing President, Mrs. Trudell, on February 13 from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at Hacienda on the Lake in Mission Viejo. This is our last Anchor Ball Gift Gathering Social. If you would like to attend this fun fiesta night, bring a donation or gift valued at $100 or more to the event.
- As a reminder, each family who participates in Gift Gathering with donation(s) valued at $50 or greater by February 14 will receive a Non-Uniform Dress Pass valid for each student in your family on Tuesday, February 22, and your family will be entered into our Gift Gathering Raffle Drawings for a chance to win some exciting prizes. VIEW our Underwriting page to make a donation. Visit the ANCHOR BALL web page for details. Thank you for your support!
FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE
Exciting Opportunity Drawing Prizes!
- REGISTER and buy pre-sale Opportunity tickets by Friday, February 16 at 3:00 p.m. Walk-up registrations will be accepted the night of the dance for $75 per couple.
- Don't miss this opportunity for your daughter to win two tickets to the Taylor Swift Reputation Tour at The Rose Bowl in Pasadena on May 18, or a fun-family stay at the Great Wolf Lodge, among other great prizes!
- Interested in volunteering for this memorable event? CLICK HERE to sign up for one of the many volunteer opportunities available.
- "Sweet Treat Volunteers" are needed to help with donations of baked goods. View the SIGN UP genius for all the details
- Questions? Contact Kim Covas, Corey Lindsay, and Megan Walters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you volunteer for the Tuition Assistance Luncheon, Book Fair or another opportunity?
to record all of your regular service hours on the 2017-18 Service Hour Portal.
As a reminder your credentials for the Service Hour Portal are:
Your family's preferred email address
Your family's 3 or 4-digit numerical family ID
MOTHER SON ULTIMATE FUN COSMIC BOWLING
Join the fun - white/neon attire and accessories encouraged!
- Make your reservation today for some fun with friends at the Mother Son Ultimate Fun Cosmic Bowling Event on Sunday, March 11. CLICK HERE to download the invitation. Reservations and fees are due to the SJSC School Office by Thursday, March 1 at 3:00 p.m. Don't delay! The event can sell out. Session availability is filled first come, first served.
- Pre-purchase your Opportunity Raffle Tickets and earn your son(s) a Non-Uniform Dress Pass if you buy 24 tickets for $20, as well as a chance to win some super cool prizes like a 55" TV or Hoverboard.
Statements were sent home in last week's Monthly Envelopes.
- Every family received a statement. Please review your statements and report any discrepancies to the Scrip Office.
- Reminder: scripsense has 2 campaigns: the Financial Participation Fee (FPF) campaign and the Chapel Campaign. Please make sure you are selecting the correct one each time you shop.
- Invoice through FACTS: Families who elected to participate but did not generate any rebates through December 31, 2017 will be invoiced the full Financial Participation Fee of $275 on February 9. The actual payment will be deducted on March 2.
- There is still plenty of time until the end of our scrip year on April 30, 2018 to earn rebates:
Please visit our Scrip Page on our website to access forms.
Scrip Lifts Up SJSC:
Support our annual Anchor Ball while earning rebates for your family by purchasing gift cards from a "wish list" of items supplied by our Anchor Ball Committee. CLICK HERE to go to the Scrip webpage and click on the "Support Anchor Ball" tab to access the special Anchor Ball Order Form. This form is also available at the Scrip Office. For more information, or to place an order, please contact email@example.com.
Ralph's Rebate Reporting Quarter Ending November 30, 2017
For quarter ending November 30, 2017 only
, please email all inquiries directly to
, as the community contributions department is currently critically understaffed. We are extending the deadline to submit your emails to Friday, February 16, 2018 to make up for the delay.
We have an opening at the Scrip Office for morning sales every other Monday from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m. If you like regular hours in a fun environment, please contact us.
For questions on any of the above or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Scrip Coordinator at
A MOMENT IN TIME FOR MOMS BOOK STUDY
Listen, Love, Repeat - Register Now
- Enjoy some time with other moms as we lean in closer to God and listen to His words. This 6-week session will be on Tuesdays, February 27 through April 10 (No meeting on April 3) from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at St. Kilian Church.
- Registration fee is $25 (book provided). REGISTER NOW or visit the St. Serra App (Parents> PTO Event Links> Moment in Time Book Session).
- For more information, visit our OUTREACH MINISTRIES webpage.
WANTED: YOUR TIME AND TALENT!
Still have service hours to complete? PTO Events are a great way to fulfill your commitment and get involved with the SJSC community.
PTO VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
webpage for current sign up opportunities, contacts and information.
STUDENT STORE UPDATES
- Dennis Uniform PE Shorts - is the SJSC logo peeling off?
- Dennis Uniform Polo Shirts - is the SJSC round logo lifting off on the corners?
- Our Dennis Uniform representative is addressing these concerns for us. If you should have any garments that this is happening to, please e-mail Catherine Tirado at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 13 so we can gather your name and e-mail address. Please DO NOT send any garments to school.
Online Student Store
- Coming Soon! New SJSC LOGO Adult Nike Spirit Wear - Special Order Clothing via our ONLINE STUDENT STORE. Check the school website mid-February.
- SJSC LOGO items, including license plate frames, stadium chairs, teddy bears, travel blankets and more are available in our Online Student Store.
- SPIRIT PACKS available for limited time: Save 20-25%!
Used Uniforms on Sale!
are now available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. on campus.
CELEBRATION BOOK CLUB
Celebrate your student's birthday, special accomplishment, First Communion, favorite holiday, or dedicate a book in honor of your child's teacher. The Celebration Book Club is the library's main funding for new books. If you would like to participate in the CBC simply fill out the form either online or in the library and include a $20 donation towards your child's book of choice. Your child may choose their new book from the selection cart or get ideas from the library's wish list.
for more information.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
CATHOLIC NIGHT AT THE HONDA CENTER
The Diocese of Orange invites us TOMORROW, Friday, February 9 to watch the Anaheim Ducks Hockey Team play the Edmonton Oilers at the Honda Center. Order your tickets at
. Use Promo code "OCCATHOLIC". CLICK HERE for more information.
SAN FRANCISCO SOLANO PARISH
Youth Faith Formation Programs:
San Francisco Solano parish offers faith formation opportunities for children and teens from kindergarten through high school.
for more information.
Ages 3-5, every Sunday during 8:30 & 10:15 Masses.
Children will learn songs, hear Bible stories, and create a gospel-based craft each week. CLICK HERE for more information.
A Lenten Reflection. February 27, 2018 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
for more information.
MATER DEI HIGH SCHOOL ADMISSIONS
for information on entrance exams and admissions to Mater Dei High School.
CHRIST CATHEDRAL DRAMA SERIES PRESENTS THE PASSION
Join us for this Lenten Christ Cathedral drama series production, March 16 - 18, 2018. In the Passion According to Luke, the inspiring Easter story is brought to life in a beautiful, deeply moving and dramatic portrayal of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. This production draws audiences into a deep understanding of the immensity of God's love for His children. The Passion opens with Jesus' entry into Jerusalem and carries us through the Last Supper, the Agony in the Garden, onto the Cross, and the glorious Resurrection.
Tickets are available
or by calling 714-282-3045.