Volume 23 * Issue 27 * April 12, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO WELCOME BISHOP VANN TO ST. SERRA ON TUESDAY, APRIL 17!
Please join us for our annual New Life Mass, celebrated this year by our Bishop, The Most Reverend Kevin Vann, on Tuesday, April 17 at
in the Student Activity Center. Joining him to con-celebrate Holy Mass and the continued Easter Season will be Father Ted Olsen, Father Jim Dunning and Deacon Carl Swanson.
At this beautiful Mass, we will remember the great sacrifice Our Lord made for us and how he continues to remind us of His endless LOVE for us.
ALL students in TK - Grade Eight are to wear Formal Uniform that day. Please be on the look-out for the Sunday email asking for flower donations to decorate our crosses.
For your convenience, the inner road will be open for parking, plus we do have parking in the neighborhood for this Mass.
There is NO PARKING allowed in the Memorial Health Care parking lot.
Plan to arrive earlier and join other parents as they pray the Rosary before Mass beginning at
8:45 a.m. in front of our Blessed Virgin Mary statue near the library. Everyone is welcome! Please join us for
After-Mass hospitality in the St. Junipero Serra Courtyard.
Missionary Childhood Association- MCA Collection at Mass, April 17
At each of our school wide Masses, the students of St. Junipero Serra support Missionary Childhood Association by making a small donation into our
collection baskets. These monies do not go unnoticed as we serve the poorest children around the world.
MCA is a much loved organization by our Bishop, so please encourage your children to do an extra chore around the house so they are able to contribute a small donation to those in need. Thank you for remembering to support this ministry at Mass.
FOOD FOR FRIENDS THANKS YOU! FRIDAY, APRIL 13
We would like to extend a prayer of gratitude to our community for supporting this outreach program at St. Junipero Serra in conjunction with the
banks associated with our parishes. Your monthly contributions continue to feed hungry men, women, and children in our communities.
Tomorrow will be our monthly food drive to support St Kilian Parish
. Pope Francis reminds us to, "Take care of our brothers and sisters who are weaker...the elderly, the sick, the hungry, and the homeless, because we will be judged on this." Food drives strengthen our community by giving us an opportunity to live the Gospel teachings of Jesus, "Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40
Not sure what to donate? Non-perishable canned goods or dry foods are welcome.
Pasta, Mac & Cheese, Rice, Top Ramen, Beans & Spaghetti Sauce
Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, Tooth Brushes & Toothpaste
Thank you for using the bag/flyer from today's Monthly Envelope
SERRASERVES 2018 - ONE MEAL EVENT
Our inaugural SerraServes 2018 ~ OneMeal Event was undeniably a huge success! We packaged approximately 26,000 meals! THANK YOU, St. Serra Families, for giving from your hearts, for volunteering your time, and for your wonderful support. WE COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS WITHOUT YOU!
Our PTO and Outreach Ministries VP Kathy Bonin would also like to thank the following individuals who made SerraServes 2018 a beautiful success:
- Our AMAZING Event Chair, Lindsay Hakimi, who took a dream and made it into a reality. Thank you for bringing SerraServes to life, for your passion, organization, commitment, and grace
- Mrs. Megan Hayden, Mrs. Kay Relvas, Mrs. Allie Bertocchini, and Mrs. Mary Broomfield - for your help and support in getting the word out
- Mrs. Dana Maas for your leadership and guidance
- Mr. Mike Stock for bringing Kids Around the World/OneMeal Event to us
As a follow up to the email sent on Tuesday regarding school safety, I would like to review our notification system:
- SJSC currently subscribes to the School Messenger notification system
- Text messages sent to phones are used for emergencies or important notifications only
To receive text messages from the school, you must OPT IN; messages cannot be sent until you confirm that you wish to receive texts.
If you did not opt in last year, or are new to the school, send the text Y or Yes to 67587 to be included in the text notifications.
All notifications from the school will be sent from the user "67587" and will begin with "From Serra".
Please note - only cell phone numbers registered with the school who opt in will receive the text notifications. If your cell phone is not registered with the school, please CLICK HERE to complete a Change of Status form to update your family's contact information including email address. Unfortunately, only parents and guardians may receive notifications from the school.
We can't put a price on the most important blessings God has given us in our lives--family, health and time. All He asks of us is to be grateful for these gifts and to care for them with our hearts. With gratitude for family, health and time...flows a wealth of more blessings.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
ACADEMIC PLACEMENT FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School is preparing for academic placement for English Language Arts (ELA) and Math for the 2018-2019 school year. The educational team is
continuously shaping the learning environment to consistently promote high achievement of all students. Please see the attached
Academic Placement Procedure and Policies
Upcoming dates to note:
- May 18, 2018 - Last day for STAR Testing
- June 1, 2018 - 3rd trimester average on this date will be used in the rubric
- June 22, 2018 - Small Group ELA and Math Recommendation Letters emailed (grades 2-8)
- August 17, 2018 - ELA and Math Placement Letters mailed (grades 2-8)
3RD ANNUAL STEAM NIGHT SURVEY
We hope you enjoyed attending our 3rd Annual STEAM Night! If you could please take a moment to fill out a brief
Family STEAM Night Survey
about your experience at STEAM Night this year, we would greatly appreciate it.
HEARTRUN THIS FRIDAY
'Love Your Heart - Share Your Roar'
- St. Serra Bears...HeartRun is here! Wear a RED t-shirt with your PE shorts tomorrow for a school-wide RED OUT and run with us in support of the American Heart Association!
- Did you forget to donate? It's not too late...donations will be accepted until 3:00 p.m. tomorrow...however the incentive deadline has passed so the t-shirt and keychains will not be available for last-minute donations. Just $10 from each family would make such a difference!
- HeartRun is a PTO sponsored event to raise awareness for all students about the importance of staying active and promoting good heart health. This is certainly one of our most beloved events by the kids...such joy to watch them running and jumping for a good cause! Thank you St. Serra Bears!
STUDENT STORE NEWS
Do you have PE Unisex Shorts with a Peeling SJSC logo?
Dennis Uniform has identified the cause of the peeling logo on our PE Unisex Shorts.
Dennis Uniform has offered to exchange the PE shorts that you have purchased, with either a Unisex PE short or a girls-cut PE short. You must submit a request for an exchange during the following time frame ONLY:
Thursday, April 12, 2018 through Friday, April 20, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
That is right....Your damaged PE short can be exchanged for a PE short in the style and size of your choice!
Here is what you do:
- CLICK HERE to submit a request for the style and size of the PE short that you would like to receive in exchange for your peeling logo PE short during the above timeframe.
- Watch for a future Serradipity announcement as to the actual date that the PE Short exchange will occur on campus.
- Bring the peeling logo PE short(s) that you own to campus on the exchange day ONLY, and your new shorts that you requested will be available to take with you. Please DO NOT send your damaged PE Shorts to the school... you must bring them with you on the exchange date.
- Would you like to be able to purchase more PE shorts in both the Unisex cut and girls-cut? As soon as our new shipment arrives, they will be available for sale in our St. Serra online store. They will also be available for sale at the SerraStrong event in August 2018!
What's NEW with the style of the PE Shorts?
- The PE shorts will feature Fiberlok logos!
- Our NEW PE short options will be:
- Boys - the identical nylon Unisex PE short as currently offered but with the new Fiberlok logo
- Girls - the identical nylon Unisex PE short as currently offered, or also a new girls-cut nylon PE short, both styles with the new Fiberlok logo.
Thank you for supporting the Student Store, as an operating budget fundraiser for our school. Currently, PE shorts are not available on our online store, but we have the PE t-shirts and a variety of SJSC Spirit items, like Tervis Beverage mugs and teddy bears for the graduate. See our flyer in the Monthly Envelope or
to view your Student Store. For any questions, please contact Catherine Tirado, Student Store Coordinator at
HEALTH ROOM NOTICE
Results for Vision and Hearing Screening and Scoliosis Screening
Vision and Hearing Results:
The vision and hearing screening results for kindergarten, 1st, 3rd and
7th grade will be sent home with your child today. Please take the time to read the results and follow up with any recommendations written on the form. If your child was referred to a physician, please make an appointment as soon as possible. If your child did not pass the vision and/or hearing test, the results were sent to your home address.
The results for the scoliosis screening for the 7th-grade girls and the 8th-grade boys will also be sent home with your child today. If there are recommendations on the screening form please follow up with your doctor.
If you have any questions regarding your child's screening results, contact Feline Bayles at Southern California Sensory Screening (949) 257-7843 or email her at
ANCHOR BALL RESERVATIONS OPEN
Marriott Laguna Cliffs Hotel & Spa
25135 Park Lantern, Dana Point
"Do small things with great love."
-Saint Teresa of Calcutta
- Anchor Ball RESERVATIONS are now open! An amazing evening of fun, friends and community in support of our St. Serra students is just around the corner. Please check your e-mail inbox for your Paperless Post invitation. The reservations deadline is Friday, May 4, but early reservations are strongly encouraged. This event sells out quickly!
- Pre-purchase tickets now...Join the fun! Tickets for this year's Opportunity Drawing and Light of Choice Raffle are now available. You do not have to attend Anchor Ball to participate. Fliers are in today's Monthly Envelope
- Save the Date - April 17, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Come join us for a free salsa dance lesson hosted by Sway Ballroom Dance (25260 La Paz Road, Laguna Niguel). Space is limited. RSVP to Alecia.Hedge@cox.net
- Volunteer Now! Anchor Ball offers opportunities to earn School Year 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 service hours (Double and triple hours the day of the event)! Sign up to help AT THE EVENT or on our GIFT WRAPPING DAY
- Donations are still needed. Don't know what to donate? Visit our ANCHOR BALL webpage
- Art Contest winners will be announced on SerraVision tomorrow, Friday, April 13. There will be a link on the Anchor Ball homepage to view all of the artwork submissions by Friday afternoon
RECESS AND LUNCH DUTY REMINDER
April 30, 2018 is the last day you can volunteer for recess/lunch duty for the current 2017-2018 school year. If you need one or two more hours, please email Rosie Chavez at
STUDENT LEADERSHIP ELECTIONS
Current 6th & 7th Grade Students
The Student Leadership elections for 2018-2019 have begun! We are looking forward to yet another great year for our student leaders.
for all of the necessary information and dates for April, 2018. Please review all materials and let Mrs. Jons (
) or Miss Becerra (
) know if you have any questions.
Come meet the Whos from Whoville and dance with the Wickersham brothers! Musical students from grades one through eight will be performing
in the Student Activity Center.
SPRING MUSICAL - SEUSSICAL JR.
Get your tickets today at
. Don't be the "Biggest blame fool in the Jungle of Nool," come see the show and support your favorite musical student. Remember "a person's a person no matter how small!"
MAY IN-N-OUT ® ORDERING OPENS TODAY
In-N-Out® lunch will be served on the following Thursdays in May: May 10, May 17 and May 24. Ordering for May closes Friday, April 20 at 3:00 p.m. As a reminder, there is no In-N-Out on May 3, so please plan accordingly. May will be the last opportunity to order In-N-Out this school year. So don't miss out!
to visit our In-N-Out® page and to place your order for May.
2018 GRANDPARENTS & SPECIAL FRIENDS DAY PHOTOS
If your child had their picture taken with their grandparent and/or special friend, enclosed in today's Monthly Envelope you will find your complimentary photo. We are pleased to continue the tradition of providing our guests a photo opportunity with their St. Serra grandchild and/or special friend. We hope you will treasure this picture! If you are interested in obtaining more prints, or have any questions, please email Cindy Carpino in the Advancement Office at email@example.com for the JPEG of your picture.
2017-2018 ANNUAL FUND ~
CHECK OUT OUR FUTURE SMARTLABS!
A huge thank you to all who have graciously donated to this year's Annual Fund! To date we have raised over $76,000. This encompasses donations from 85% of our staff and 16% of our St. Serra families. With participation from at least
60% of our community, we can CERTAINLY raise the additional $74,000 to reach our goal of $150,000. Keep in mind every dollar counts and goes directly to this project.
|Annual Fund Smartlabs 2018
Click the picture above
to watch a new video that highlights the exciting new SMARTLABS that are coming to the Student Creation Center in the Fall. This year's Annual Fund dollars will be funding this project.
To make your Annual Fund donation,
, or make a check payable to Serra Catholic School and send it into the School Office to the attention of the Advancement Office.
Feel like taking it up a notch? Consider joining us for the Founder's Circle Dinner on May 10 by donating at the Founder's Circle Level of $1,995.00 prior to April 30. The dinner, hosted here on campus and catered by Hanna's, is a token of our gratitude for your "stretch" gift to help us meet our goals!
IMPORTANT - FACTS REGISTRATION NEWS
Your 2017-18 FACTS account information has been transferred to the 2018-19 school year.
If however, you have changes to your form of payment, please remember to update both the
2017-18 plan and the 2018-19 plan if applicable.
CHAPEL PROMENADE PAVER - ORDER YOURS NOW!
Promenade Paver ordering will close TOMORROW, Friday April 13. Don't miss this opportunity to leave a lasting footprint on our final phase of the campus. All details of this special Chapel appeal can be found
with the order form being at the bottom of that page.
Thank you for your support of this exciting project!
End of Scrip Year Schedule:
The 2017-2018 Scrip year ends on April 30, 2018. This will include:
- Daily morning sales through and including April 30.
- Daily envelope orders received on Friday, April 27 and filled on Monday, April 30.
- Prestopay orders placed on shopwithscrip.com, due by 7:30 a.m. sharp on Monday, April 30, 2018. All orders received after this deadline will count towards 2018-2019.
- Weekly orders submitted on Monday, April 30. All weekly orders MUST BE RECEIVED BY 8:30 a.m. on Monday, April 30, 2018 to qualify for 2017-2018. All orders received after this deadline will count towards 2018-2019.
are now available on
through May 25 or while supplies last. If you do not have an account on the website, you may add items to the weekly order form.
See's Candy price has increased to $20.50. Please make sure you download the most recent version of our weekly order form when ordering, revised on April 9, 2018.
Ralph's Rebate Reporting:
for quarter ending February 28, 2018 are now due and all rebate information must be emailed to the Scrip Coordinator by
April 13, 2018.
NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE FOR LATE REPORTS DUE TO RESTRICTIONS FROM RALPH'S AND SCRIP YEAR-END ON APRIL 30
for St. Serra's procedures to obtain your family's Ralphs Rebate information.
For questions on any of the above or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Scrip Coordinator at
Happy Parents, Happier Children -
The Harmonious Family
- Please join us for our next Parent Education Speaker Series next Wednesday, April 18, 10:00-11:30 a.m. in the Student Activity Center.
- Dr. Sharon May, Ph.D., founder and President of the Safe Haven Family Counseling Center and co-author of The Safe Haven Marriage, will speak about how to create "The Harmonious Family."
- Please note that this is a parent-only event. Kindly RSVP to let allow us to provide the proper amount of seating. Thank you.
Save the Date - Tuesday, May 1, at 7:00 p.m. - "
Updating Your Estate and Charitable Plan For The New Tax Laws," with
Guest Speakers and Parent Volunteers
David Sherak and Tim Pickart.
Your PTO is honored to continue the school year with so many wonderful opportunities for both parents and students to be involved in our St. Serra Community. And...our 23rd Annual Anchor Ball is just around the corner!
PTO EVENTS AND PROGRAMS HOMEPAGE
for more details on upcoming activities.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 13th: SJCJ HeartRun
- 13th, 20th, 27th: Parent Rosary at the Blessed Mary Statue
- 17th: Parent Rosary, Bishop's Mass, and PTO Parent Fellowship & Coffee Social
- 18th: Parent Education Speaker Series with Dr. Sharon May, Ph.D., founder and President of the Safe Haven Family Counseling Center
VOLUNTEERS MAKE US SERRASTRONG
SJSC is thankful for your gifts of service this school year. Discover your next opportunity assisting with PTO events. Please
PTO VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
for current contacts and information
Support the Chapel by shopping with scripsense.
Spring is upon us....time to spruce up your yard and garden.
If you haven't already, now is the perfect time to start building your family's Chapel fund. With Spring comes home improvement, shop Lowe's and Home Depot which can be done via
Also consider using the
local merchant program at Hanna's. With First Communion, Confirmation and Mother's Day celebrations coming up, you can earn 10% to the chapel fund on everything you spend with a quick scan of the scripsense local merchant app!
YEARBOOKS ARE SELLING QUICKLY - DON'T WAIT UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE!
If you haven't yet placed your yearbook order, now is the time! A limited number of yearbooks will be available for sale after the shipment arrives and those will only be sold on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved. The surplus yearbooks do sell out quickly, so please order your student's yearbook now to guarantee them a yearbook that will be delivered to their homeroom on the day of pre-order distribution.
to secure a yearbook for your Serra Bear today! Not sure if you ordered a yearbook yet? A list of students whose parents have purchased yearbooks can be found in the
Parent's Only>Yearbook Orders
section of our website.
The Library will be closed for this school year on
Friday, May 18
. This is the last day to check out a book. ALL BOOKS will be due back no later than
. If your child is not done with the book, please make arrangements to find another copy elsewhere prior to the due date. If your student's book is not returned, you will receive a fine notice for the replacement cost of the book and it will be automatically processed by the Accounting and Finance Office. Please contact Mrs. Bummer at
with any questions or concerns you may have.
AFTER-SCHOOL GOLF CLASSES
Spring Classes Start Monday, April 22
for Grades TK-2 Information
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
ST. KILIAN CHURCH
Vacation Bible School
is coming! Save the Date: July 30 - August 3, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Registration begins April 29.
for more information.
May Crowning and Rosary - St. Kilian's 3rd & 4th-grade RE class invites you to join them as they honor Mary with songs and prayers on Wednesday, May 2, 4:00 - 4:45 p.m. First Communion children are encouraged to wear their First Communion outfits. Rosaries will be provided. Please bring a flower to honor Mary.
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
Middle School Retreat:
All 6-8th graders are invited to attend Holy Trinity's annual Jr. High Retreat, June 18 & 19 at the Santiago Retreat Center. There will be faith-filled talks, worship, games, fun, and more! CLICK HERE for more information.
SAN FRANCISCO SOLANO PARISH
Vacation Bible School - Registration is now OPEN!
Movie Night - San Francisco Solano Presents
Disney Pixar's Coco TOMORROW, April 13.
for more information.