Volume 23 * Issue 33 * May 24, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
MARIAN MASS TOMORROW, FRIDAY, MAY 25
Please join us for our Annual May Crowning & Marian Mass tomorrow at
in the Student Activity Center as we witness this beautiful sacrament for our 2nd-grade students. Mass will be celebrated by Father Reynold of Holy Trinity Parish. The 2nd-grade Communicants will also lead us through the Rosary Prayer.
ALL students in TK - Grade Eight are to wear Formal Uniform
For your convenience, the inner road will be open for parking, plus we do have parking in the neighborhood for this Mass.
There is NO PARKING allowed in the Memorial Health Care parking lot. Thank you also for remembering to bring in a small mass contribution to "Free the Kids" for Fr. Marc in Haiti.
Plan to arrive earlier and join other parents as they pray the Rosary before Mass beginning at 8:45 a.m. in front of our Blessed Virgin Mary statue near the library. Everyone is welcome! Please join us for After-Mass hospitality in the St. Junipero Serra Courtyard.
23rd ANNUAL ANCHOR BALL
Grounded in Tradition
The St. Serra PTO and I would like to congratulate and thank our PTO VP Anchor Ball, Mrs. Jena Schuster, and our Anchor Ball Event Chairs Mrs. Meredith Giraudi, Mrs. Stacey Kane, Mrs. Carrie Mulvee, along with their COMMITTEE MEMBERS, for helping to make our 23rd Annual Anchor Ball celebration a night to remember. We especially want to thank the outstanding team of volunteers who helped make this year's event possible. We are blessed to have such dedicated men and women supporting our school and students.
We are very grateful to all of our St. Serra Families and friends who attended Anchor Ball last Saturday night. In addition, we would like to acknowledge all of the wonderful
DONORS, UNDERWRITERS AND SUPPORTERS
who so generously contributed to our event.
Buy-It Now Opportunities
There are just a few amazing items from Anchor Ball still available for immediate purchase online. First come, first served. No bidding required. Our
opportunities are available online until Friday, June 1, at 3:00 p.m. View the online auction item descriptions HERE.
St. Serra School Highlight Film
St. Serra families are invited to watch our amazing ST. SERRA SCHOOL HIGHLIGHT FILM that was shown at this year's Anchor Ball. The link will take you to the Parents Only\Videos and Presentations section of our website, for which you will need your passkey. This wonderful film was assembled by PTO President Dana Maas - it reflects the spirit and enthusiasm of our St. Serra students! You won't want to miss it!
Educational Cost Assistance Raffle for one Parking Space for the entire month of September
And the winner is Michelle McMahon. Congratulations!!!!!!
EDUCATIONAL COST ASSISTANCE
BE A HERO! Help those families within our community stay at SJSC with financial aid via our Educational Cost Assistance program.
and BE SOMEBODY'S HERO.
2018 ST. JUNIPERO SERRA AWARD RECIPIENTS HONORED AT ANCHOR BALL
Congratulations to our 2018 St. Junipero Serra Award recipients, who were recognized and honored at Anchor Ball this past Saturday.
- Stephanie Angelos
- Jamie Gorrell
- Carrie Mulvee
- Kay Relvas
- Sandy & Steve Silva
- Suzanne Tyler
- Lisa & Alan Zawistoski
Many thanks to the families and staff who submitted nominations for all of our deserving volunteers. For more information about the St. Junipero Serra Awards and to view a listing of all past and present award recipients, please
Thank you for your patience as our two-year transition from True Grits to Dennis Uniform comes to a close in June 2018. Beginning with next school year, 2018-19, all school uniforms worn by our students must be Dennis Uniforms.
Our Uniform Program
by grade level - If your uniform pieces are not listed, then they are no longer approved garments.
Get a head start for 2018-19 and buy your uniforms in June at the Dennis Uniform Store in Mission Viejo.
View Store Information and Sign Up
for email notifications for discounts.
Waiting for August to buy Uniforms? Consider shopping at our
St. Serra Exclusive Shopping night on Wednesday, August 15, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Dennis Uniform PE T-Shirts and Shorts
are sold in our
PTO Serra Spirit Store
(Formerly Student Store). PE T-Shirts are currently available. Unisex and Girls cut PE Shorts will be coming soon. Watch Serradipity for their availability.
2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR PTO EVENTS
Mrs. Trudell and the PTO are pleased to announce for the 2018-19 school year:
SerraStrong Welcome Back & Volunteer Fair
SAVE THE DATE: Tuesday, August 28 4:30-7:00 p.m.
PTO VP: Melissa Singleton
Event Chair: Jenny Hayes
*Please see article below for more details on this event.
Golf Classic 2018
at the Coto de Caza Golf and Racquet Club
SAVE THE DATE: Monday, September 24
PTO VP: Courtnay Flick
Event Chairs: Alan Zawistoski & Mike Ferletic
SAVE THE DATE: Sunday, October 28
PTO VP: Teacia Andrew
Event Chairs: Sue Deek-Ahmadi & Carrie Mulvee
If we just look around, we see God's great beauty and realize we have so much for which to be thankful. As we say our prayers of gratitude, may we remember that God walks with us every day and that having patience on this journey is to trust in God. The easiest way to trust is to just be grateful for what God has granted us.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
HANNON FOUNDATION 4TH-GRADE WRITING SCHOLARSHIP
Congratulations to this year's Hannon Foundation 4th-grade Writing Scholarship winners Delaney S. and Brenna M.! The 4th-grade students visited the Missions, conducted research and wrote essays about the life of Saint Junipero Serra. These two essays were selected from our school and each awarded William H. Hannon Scholarships toward their fifth-grade educational cost. Through the generosity of the foundation, SJSC will also receive a grant to our Educational Cost Assistance Fund.
YEARBOOK DISTRIBUTION AND SALES
The 2017-2018 Yearbooks Are Here!
Yearbook Distribution Schedule:
- Thursday, May 31 - Preschool, TK, K and 8th-grade students. A limited supply of yearbooks will be available for sale in the lobby of the School Office after dismissal for Preschool, TK, K & 8th-grade students ONLY.
- Friday, June 1 - Preschool, TK, K & 8th-grade sales continue in the lobby beginning at 7:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, June 4 - Pre-ordered yearbook distribution in Grades 1-7
- Tuesday, June 5 - Friday, June 8 - A limited supply of yearbooks will be available for sale in the lobby from 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Sales will continue each day during this period until all yearbook are sold.
PLEASE NOTE: All distributed yearbooks were carefully checked. If your student does not receive a yearbook and you feel confident that you ordered one, before contacting the school, please forward the confirmation email you received from Jostens to firstname.lastname@example.org. Yearbooks were ONLY sold online and the sales period was October 1, 2017 - May 19, 2018.
The Library will be closed for this school year on
Friday, May 18
. The last day to borrow a book will be Friday,
May 11. ALL BOOKS will be due back no later than
May 25 to avoid overdue fees.
If your student's book is not returned, you will receive a fine notice for the replacement cost of the book and it will be automatically processed by the Accounting and Finance Office.
Please contact Mrs. Bummer at
with any questions or concerns you may have.
HEALTH ROOM REMINDER
With the end of the school year fast approaching, the Health Room would like to remind you to pick up your child's Health Room medication no later than Wednesday, June 6
. These medications include any daily medication and as needed medication that was dropped off at the beginning of the year. We are unable to store medication over the summer due to limited space therefore, all medication will be disposed of if it is not picked up by
. If you have any questions regarding your child's medication, please call (949)546-8705.
If your child will be taking medication during the 2018-2019 school year, your doctor will need to fill out a new Medication Authorization form, which must be turned into the Health Room with your child's medication at the beginning of the school year. The medication form can be found on the St. Serra website or by CLICKING HERE.
Today was our last In-N-Out lunch for this school year. Please plan accordingly.
SUPPORT THE CHAPEL
Earn While You Shop! Earn While you Dine!
Celebrate the Grad in your Life!
Congrats to the class of 2017! Make their moment special with a thoughtful gift purchased through scripsense.
Father's day is around the corner.........
Wow him with an e gift card. You could choose from REI, Dicks Sporting Goods or possibly Go Play Golf which all gives back to our Chapel campaign!
Or take the family to dinner to celebrate either of these special occasions.
for restaurants range between 2% and 12%, including a 10% rebate when using the
Hanna's Local Merchant
Not a scripsense user yet - contact email@example.com for your personal invitation.
PARENT FELLOWSHIP AND COFFEE SOCIAL
Please join us for our last PTO hosted Parent Fellowship and Coffee Social of the school year tomorrow, Friday, May 25, 10:30-11:00 a.m. in the St. Serra Courtyard. We will meet immediately following our Marian Mass and May Crowning. Third Grade Room Parents will provide light sweets, coffee and water. We look forward to seeing you there.
...And he came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you." Luke 1:28
in $50 denominations at 1.25% rebate will be available as a daily item effective today, Thursday, May 24. These make great gifts for grads and spending tool for your young adults. What is so special about the ones we offer through scrip? There are NO activation fees!!!
$100 and $250 denominations are available through the Weekly Order Form.
Dennis Uniform scrip
- we have $300 available in inventory while it lasts. They are in $20 denominations at 5% rebate.
- Daily Sales through and including Friday, June 15, 2018 (last day of school).
- Last Daily Envelope due on Tuesday, June 12, filled on Wednesday, June 13 limited to inventory on hand.
- Last Weekly Envelope due by 8:30 am on Monday, June 11, filled on Thursday, June 14.
- Shopwithscrip.com Prestopay Physical cards due by 7:30 a.m. on Monday, June 11, filled on Thursday, June 14.
- Summer Weekly Order for Physical cards and Shopwithscrip.com Prestopay Physical card orders due by 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 17, and available for pick up only on Monday, July 23. All families who place an order will be notified by email. Weekly order forms can be either mailed to St. Serra or dropped off at the School Office on Monday, July 16 between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon, or Tuesday, July 17 from 8-9:00 a.m.
Regular weekly orders and shopwithscrip.com prestopay physical card orders will resume on Monday, August 6, 2018.
How To Buy Scrip?
The new Scrip Year started on May 1, 2018. You do not have to wait until September to begin earning rebates towards your educational costs! Contact the Scrip Office for more details.
Daily am sales 7:40-8:30 a.m.
Credit Card Sales
Shopwithscrip.com online program
Scripsense online program
2018-2019 Rebate Program:
- Fifty cents of every dollar you earn in rebates will be credited to your educational costs through FACTS on a monthly basis. The first credit of 2018-19 will be issued in August 2018 due to the summer schedule, and monthly thereafter.
- Sip and Scrip. Come and find out all about Scrip and how you can reduce your educational costs while earning 1 volunteer hour! The Scrip Office will hold its final information session for this school year on Tuesday, June 12 from 10-11:00 a.m. in the Scrip Office. Bring your favorite drink. Light snacks will be provided.
- Refer-a-Family who has not participated in the Scrip program in the last 2 years. When the referred family purchases their first $100, the referring family will earn $25 towards their educational costs 2018-2019. This applies to St. Serra Families only.
For questions on any of the above or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Scrip Coordinator at
SERRASTRONG - A WELCOME BACK AND VOLUNTEER FAIR EVENT
- Save the Date for Tuesday, August 28, 2018. Make plans to stay for the food, fun, and entertainment!
- Reconnect with friends and family and kick off the 2018-2019 school year.
- New SerraStrong Shirts, that were ordered during registration, will be available for pick up.
- PE T-shirts and shorts, as well as Golf Ball Drop tickets, and Harvest Festival raffle tickets will be available for purchase.
- As well as a chance to sign up for volunteer opportunities for all of our amazing events
PE Shorts - Exchange Date 5/30/18 ONLY
- For families who completed the survey for the PE Shorts with the peeling logo, the exchange date will be, Wednesday, May 30 from 7:30 a.m. to noon, and again from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the School Lobby. If you have children in Extended Care, please contact Catherine Tirado at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please bring the exact quantity of PE Shorts, with peeling logo, that you noted on the survey to campus on the exchange day ONLY at which time you will receive your new shorts.
PE Shorts are coming soon!
The new shipment of PE Shorts with the new Fiberlock logo will be arriving shortly at our Serra Spirit Store (Formerly Student Store). Continue watching SerraDIPITY for their availability.
There will be 2 options available:
- Unisex nylon PE short (same style as offered previously)
- Female-cut nylon PE short
PE T-Shirts & Shorts will also be available for purchase at the SerraStrong event on Tuesday. August 28, 2018.
Online Student Store has a New Name...Serra Spirit Shop
- SJSC LOGO items, including license plate frames, stadium chairs, teddy bears, tumblers, travel blankets, mugs and more, are available on our ONLINE STUDENT STORE - Perfect Father's Day gifts.
- SPIRIT PACKS available for limited time. Save 20-25%
Used Uniforms on Sale
are now available for sale on Tuesday and Wednesdays 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Please bring in your gently used "DENNIS UNIFORM" label items. Sorry, no True Grits items will be accepted. Starting the 2018-2019 school year, students will only be allowed to wear the Dennis Uniform label uniform clothing.
2018-2019 LAPTOP BOOTCAMP SIGN-UPS OPEN
This summer our exciting Laptop Bootcamps will return for students entering Third Grade and all new students entering Grades Four to Eight in 2018-2019.
Bootcamps will be held on
August 14, 15, and 16. Sign-ups are now open.
New this year! We are pleased to offer Bootcamp 2.0 for returning students who need assistance with: PowerPoint, OneNote, and Saving Files, Docs, etc.
Registration in Bootcamp sessions will be first-come, first-serve, with a limit of 20 students per session. Bootcamps will be held on the St. Serra campus.
If your family will not be available to attend any of the dates listed above, please email
immediately so that we can work with you to schedule your family on another date.
Important information regarding Bootcamps:
- Students must attend the Bootcamp in order to check-out their laptop
- One parent must accompany students at the Bootcamp
- Each Bootcamp session will last between 1-1/2 and 2 hours
- Morning, afternoon, and evening sessions will be offered
- Registration is required for Bootcamp; walk-ins will not be accepted
- Laptops are required when school begins
COACHES NEEDED FOR NEXT FALL SEASON
We are looking for volunteer coaches for next year's FALL Sports Season for boys flag football and girls volleyball. HEAD coaches will have their registration fee waived for their child/ren. Also, both Head Coach and Assistant Coach will receive service hours for all of the time they put into our sports program. Please email Coach Brock Gozbak at
if you are interested in coaching next year.
EXTENDED CARE NEWS
There will be NO afternoon Extended Care on the last day of school, Friday,
. This is an adjusted minimum day where the students are dismissed at the conclusion of our end-of-the-year Mass (approximately 10:30-10:45 a.m.). Please plan accordingly! Extended Care will be open during their normal hours the morning of Friday
, June 15
2018-2019 SERRAVISION ANCHOR AND TECHNICIAN CREW
Applications Being Accepted
SerraVision is now accepting applications for the 2018-2019 school year. Students who are entering 7th and 8th grade next year will be eligible to apply. Applications are to be completed and
returned to Mrs. Enyeart by TOMORROW, Friday, May 25.
for a copy of the Guidelines and Application.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
Santiago de Compostela Job Posting
Santiago de Compostela Church has a job opening for an Adult Faith Formation Coordinator. This is a full-time position. Please
for more information.
SUMMER PROGRAMS IN THE COMMUNITY
Santiago De Compostela Parish VBS, August 6-10
Register for Vacation Bible School after all Masses at the VBS table on the following dates:
San Francisco Solano Parish VBS
Vacation Bible School
- Registration is now OPEN!
WHEN: June 25, 2018 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Pre-K through 8th Grade. Spots are limited!
St. Kilian Church VBS
Vacation Bible School
is coming! Save the Date: July 30 - August 3, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Registration begins April 29.
for more information.
JSerra Catholic HS Lion Engage Summer Program
Designed for students entering grades 6-8, Lion Engage is an engaging program that gives students the opportunity to dive into experiential learning. Students will learn from passionate JSerra instructors, interact with high school student mentors, and have a blast! The flexible programming allows students to come for mornings or afternoons, or both, and to come for one week or both weeks. Check out JSerra's website for class information and to sign up!
JSerra Catholic HS Summer Youth Sport Camps
Do you have a student athlete? Check out JSerra Catholic High School's summer youth sports camps! Students will practice skills and make new friends. See the JSerra website for more information:
Santa Margarita HS Summer Sports Camps
SMCHS Summer Youth Camps are designed for young athletes in elementary school through middle school. Youth camps are open to all young people in the local community.
SMCHS Summer Sports & Entertainment Broadcasting Camp
Calling all Boys and Girls from 8 to 18 years of age. Get hands-on "Real and Professional Broadcast" experience in front of and behind the camera.
for more information and to download the form.
Sign up now as the camp always fills up. See you this summer!
for more information or to register. If you have any questions about any of our youth summer camps, please email us at email@example.com or (949) 766-1065
Mater Dei Boys Volleyball Summer Camp
Incoming 4th and 8th-grade boys are invited to the Mater Dei 2018 Boys Volleyball
Summer Camp and 8th-grade boys are invited to the Boys Volleyball High School Camp. The cost of the camps is $275 and both will run from July 23 - August 3, 2018.
for more information.