Volume 23 * Issue 35 * June 7, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
EIGHTH-GRADE PRAYER SERVICE
This past Tuesday
our St. Serra community came together to honor the graduating class of 2018 at our traditional graduation prayer service. Congratulations to this year's St. Junipero Serra Award winners Collin C., Davin M., Olivia O. and Sydnee W. The Saint Junipero Serra Award is perhaps the most prestigious and coveted award presented at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School because it is given to four graduates selected by their peers. The students receiving this award are chosen because they represent the very finest qualities of a St. Serra student.
We would also like to congratulate this year's valedictorian, Carolyn G. and salutatorian, Sydnee W. Sydnee gave her salutatorian speech at the prayer service and Carolyn will give her speech at the Graduation Mass on Friday night.
We also wish to thank SJSC Alumni Austin Brotman ('14) for being our guest speaker and for offering his words of wisdom and inspiration to our graduates. CLICK HERE to watch a video of Austin's inspiring speech.
CONGRATULATIONS MONSIGNOR TED!
Our St. Serra community would like to congratulate Fr. Ted Olson, Pastor of San Francisco Solano Parish, on his recent appointment to Monsignor. We also offer him blessings on his upcoming retirement. Msgr. Ted will be honored at our End-of-the-School-Year Mass as he will be concelebrating with our School Chaplain, Fr. Jim.
Please join us as we celebrate our End-of-School-Year Mass on Friday
, June 15 at 9:30 a.m.
in the Student Activity Center. Our celebrant will be
Monsignor Ted Olson, along with
our School Chaplain, Father Jim Dunning. The theme for the Mass is "Go Forth to Love and Serve the LORD" and will be hosted by grades 3 & 5! Formal Uniform is required for all students.
At the conclusion of Mass, we will be honoring Msrg. Ted Olson, and saying goodbye to Mrs. Julie Tipton. We will also be commissioning all students in grades 1-7 into their next grade level for the new school year.
The students will be dismissed following Mass at approximately
As has been previously published, there is NO afternoon Extended Care on this day, only morning (before school) Extended Care.
Also, as a reminder, parking is available on the inner road and in the neighborhood, but NOT in the Memorial Health Care parking lot.
Check your Inbox
Tuesday, July 31
, for a special email from me which will contain information on:
- Staff announcements
- School program updates
- Excitement on the completion of construction
- SerraStrong Welcome Event and Volunteer Fair
- Volunteer opportunities
- Safe Environment and Fingerprinting
- Scrip program
- Serra Spirit Store
- St. Serra Golf Classic
- Harvest Festival
- Lunch program
Remember to also mark your calendars for the weekend of
October 6 & 7 for the special celebration of our Chapel blessing/dedication and the ribbon cutting ceremony of our new Student Creation and Leadership Center.
Please look in today's Monthly Envelope for your
Guide to the Start of the 2018-2019 SJSC School Year
to view the flyer.
SCHOOL OFFICE/CAMPUS SUMMER HOURS
The offices of St. Junipero Serra Catholic School WILL BE CLOSED for summer recess beginning at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 27 and re-opening Monday, July 16 at 8:00 a.m.
School Office Summer Hours
- June 14 & 15 - closes at 1:00 pm
- June 18, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
- June 19-22, 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
- June 25-27, 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
- June 28 - July 15, OFFICE CLOSED
- July 16 - July 26, 8:00 am - noon
- Friday, July 20 & Friday, July 27, OFFICE CLOSED
- July 30 - August 17, 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
- August 20 - August 22, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Please visit the Calendar on the Parent section of our website for more details on our school calendar.
FUN IS #1 AT FIELD DAY 2018
Your student will not want to miss Field Day 2018 on Thursday, June 14. The event - celebrating our students - is set to be BIGGER and BETTER with new games, new challenges and more fun!
At this exciting end-of-school tradition, the younger and older students come together in teams to participate in fun games and activities with our St. Serra teachers....Watermelon Eating Contest, Chant/Team Name Contest, Strata Ball, Water Games, and more! It's a great day to have fun and bond with our St. Serra Family.
On Field Day, students are asked to wear their PE Uniforms. This year, students can accessorize by wearing socks, hair bows, headbands, bandanas and/or hats in their FIELD DAY TEAM COLOR. Find your FIELD DAY TEAM COLOR by Homeroom in this Sunday's Parent Email.
For a sneak peak of what the day will be like, click this link
Field Day 2017 Photo Album
to see photos from last year's Field Day.
SAVE THE DATE
The PTO and I are pleased to announce...
24th Annual Anchor Ball
Saturday, March 16, 2019
Stay tuned for more details in the fall!
FIESTA DE SOLANO 2018
My Lord My Shelter
Fiesta de Solano is a 3-day community event at our San Francisco Solano parish filled with games, rides, food, live entertainment, Bingo and a Silent Auction! Bring your family for a day of fun and food!
- Friday, July 20, 5:00-10:00 p.m.
- Saturday, July 21, 1:00-10:00 p.m.
- Sunday, July 22, 1:00-10:00 p.m.
Nightly 5:00-9:30 p.m.
Blackout Round at 9:00 p.m.
St. Serra Volunteer Day, Sunday, July 22
St. Serra Families are sponsoring a game booth at San Francisco Solano's Fiesta de Solano 2018. Each shift is 2 hours with 3 volunteer spots per shift. Follow the link to
SIGN UP GENIUS
to volunteer. The access word is
Want to see your name or business on a banner and/or announced at Fiesta?
for sponsorship opportunities.
Solano's Got Talent:
All proceeds benefit San Francischo Solano Church. Questions? Please contact Jeff or Tami Kosidowski at firstname.lastname@example.org
for information on how to sign up for Solano's Got Talent.
We give you thanks for the community that we are and for this past school year. We ask you to please bless our families as we take our vacations; may our precious time together leave us with memories to cherish. Pour out your love on us that we may return renewed and refreshed to continue our journey together. We make this prayer through Christ our Lord. Amen
I wish you all a very exciting and safe summer!
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 2
Mrs. Julie Tipton, Principal Grades 3 - 8
IMPORTANT SUMMER ACADEMIC INFORMATION
It is the practice at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School to send home optional summer work for students. Summer Math Solutions consumable workbooks are being provided for each student.
We are happy to again provide our students home access to Type to Learn 4. TTL4 is a comprehensive instructional keyboarding program that covers skills ranging from beginning to advanced.
It is recommended that students spend 10-15 minutes, 3-4 times per day, using Type to Learn 4. Students should plan to use a keyboard cover for their practice sessions so that they don't
develop the habit of looking at the keys while typing.
The Summer Math Solutions Book and Type to Learn 4 login information (incoming 2018-2019 1st-8th graders) was sent home with all current students last Friday, June 1.
EXTENDED CARE RIMINDER
There will be NO afternoon Extended Care on the last day of school, Friday,
. This is an adjusted minimum day where the students are dismissed at the conclusion of our end-of-the-year Mass (approximately 10:30-10:45 a.m.). Please plan accordingly! Extended Care will be open during their normal hours the morning of Friday
, June 15
BATTLE OF THE BOOKS (BOB) CLUB
The SJSC Library would like to invite incoming Fourth & Fifth grade students for the 2018-19 school year to participate in Battle of the Books (BOB) Book Club, Competition Team and Summer Reading Program. Students will be able to earn medals for READING!!! You will find all participation requirements and the list of books by
SERRASTRONG WELCOME EVENT AND VOLUNTEER FAIR
- Save the Date for August 28, 2018! On behalf of the St. Serra PTO, PTO VP - Community Events Melissa Singleton and SerraStrong Welcome Event Chair Jessica Hudson, we invite all St. Serra families to join us for a celebration of faith and a ton of fun! Reconnect with friends and family before the start of school.
- We look forward to kicking off the 2018-19 school year with a special Back-to-School Blessing, followed by food, fun activities, and entertainment.
- At the event, you will also have the opportunity to purchase Golf Ball Drop tickets and Harvest Festival Raffle tickets, learn about service opportunities at our Volunteer Fair, and pick up Serra Spirit Store orders. SerraStrong t-shirts will also be available for pick up.
- Volunteers needed - get a jump-start on your service hours!
- Questions? Visit our SERRASTRONG EVENT webpage or contact PTO VP - Community Events Melissa Singleton and Event Chair Jessica Hudson at email@example.com.
ST. SERRA GOLF CLASSIC
Monday, September 24, 2018
"FORE!" Here comes our 23rd Annual St. Serra Golf Classic! PTO is pleased to announce that our VP-Golf Courtnay Flick and Golf Classic Event Chairs
Mr. Alan Zawistoski and Mr. Mike Ferletic,
along with their team are already planning an exciting tournament with a new location - the Coto de Caza Golf and Racquet Club - and several fantastic features. So get your foursomes together and save the date of Monday, Sept. 24.
is now open! Register early to receive the $295 per player fee.
As we approach the end of the 2017-2018 school year and gear up for 2018-2019, let's continue our support of STEAM education. When school begins in September, our Student Creation Center will be filled with new and challenging ways for YOUR student to explore and design hands-on projects within the STEAM curriculum. This year's Annual Fund is helping to build two (2) amazing SMARTLABs that will allow our students to thrive in a unique, fun and exciting way - maximizing the use of their own personal God given-talents! What else can we, as parents, possibly want?
THANK YOU to all who have already given to this amazing fund, but if you have not already given to the 2017-2018 Annual Fund, we ask you to please consider making your contribution TODAY.
GIVE to ANNUAL FUND
2018 TREE OF REMEMBRANCE ORNAMENT
As is the tradition at St. Serra, we offer the Memorial Ornament program to our families. Ornaments can now be purchased to memorialize your loved ones that have gone home to our Lord. For those not familiar with the SJSC Memorial program, please visit
our Memorial page
on the SJSC website.
In today's Monthly Envelope we have enclosed an order form
. If you would like to pay by check, fill the form out and return it with a check for $30 made payable to Serra Catholic School. Please direct the envelope to the attention of the Advancement Office. If you would like to pay with a credit card, please
to submit the form and payment online.
Ornaments must be ordered by September 28, 2018 for participation in the November 1, 2018 Memorial Mass. Please contact Cindy Carpino at ext. 239 with any questions.
END-OF-YEAR EQUIPMENT COLLECTION
The following equipment will be collected from students. Please refer to your
email for details.
- First and Second Grade iPads will be collected on Wednesday, June 13 (information was sent out in the Sunday, June 3 email)
For students not returning to Serra in 2018-2019,
equipment will be collected on Wednesday, June 13 (please watch your email for personalized instructions this week).
If your child will not be at school on the scheduled collection date, please contact the school at Tech@serraschool.org to schedule an alternate collection day and time. Families who do not return their iPad or laptop, or schedule an alternate collection time, will be billed for the cost of the device and accessories.
2018 HARVEST FESTIVAL
SAVE THE DATE: Sunday, October 28
"Blessed are those who dwell in your house." Psalm 84:4
- PTO is proud to announce our 2018 Harvest Festival Event Chairs, Carrie Mulvee and Sue Deek-Ahmadi. These ladies, along with the PTO VP of Harvest Festival, Teacia Andrew, and the Harvest Festival Team are already busy planning our annual fall festival to be held on Sunday, October 28, 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. The theme is "Homecoming" as we look forward to celebrating the completion of our campus!
- To help us make this day a success, we encourage you to learn about our Underwriting Opportunities that include beneficial incentives like RESERVED E-Z UPS and FUN ZONE WRISTBANDS!
- T-shirt sales will begin online starting Tuesday, July 31 in the Serra Spirit Store! Watch for the link in Mrs. Trudell's summer email.
VOLUNTEERS MAKE US SERRASTRONG
Whether you help SJSC at home, on campus or at our PTO Events, your generous gifts of time and talent make our success possible. We cannot thank you enough for all you do. Visit our
webpage to see the list of families who went above and beyond with 100 plus hours and members who give countless hours in leadership.
- Daily Sales through and including Friday, June 15, 2018 (last day of school).
- Last Daily Envelope due on Tuesday, June 12, filled on Wednesday, June 13 limited to inventory on hand.
- Last Weekly Envelope due by 8:30 a.m. on Monday, June 11, filled on Thursday, June 14.
- Shopwithscrip.com Prestopay Physical cards due by 7:30 a.m. on Monday, June 11, filled on Thursday, June 14.
- Summer Weekly Order for Physical cards and Shopwithscrip.com Prestopay Physical card orders due by Tuesday, July 17, available for pick up only on Monday, July 23. All families who place an order will be notified by email. Weekly order forms can be either mailed to St. Serra or dropped off at the School Office during the summer. Please check the Parent Calendar for School Office summer hours.
E-cards and reloads through our online websites are available uninterrupted.
Regular weekly orders and shopwithscrip.com prestopay physical card orders will resume on Monday, August 6, 2018. Please look for us at the SerraStrong event on August 28.
Attention Costco Shoppers! Costco scrip cards are now available through Scripsense Gift of Choice Gift card. These gift cards are redeemable at a variety of stores including Costco, at a rebate of 2%. Please visit Scripsense for additional information on denominations and fees, and
for details regarding the gift of choice gift card.
How To Buy Scrip?
The new Scrip Year started on May 1, 2018. You do not have to wait until September to begin earning rebates towards your educational costs! Contact the Scrip Office for more details or visit us on serraschool.org > parents > scrip program.
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Scrip Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ST. SERRA BUS PROGRAM
Get on the Bus! Enrollment is Open
Enrollment for the St. Serra Bus Program for the 2018-2019 school year is now open to all St. Serra Families. Information regarding the bus routes, including locations, pick-up and drop-off times, cost, etc., can be found on the St. Serra Website - under the
Parents Only section - Transportation Program
. Availability for the afternoon routes is very limited at this time and is on a first come basis. There is ample availability for the morning routes. If you are interested in riding the bus, please send an e-mail to
. We will respond to your email, in the order in which they are received, confirming if there is availability for the route you are interested in and will provide the necessary paperwork. Please email the Transportation Group (
) with any questions you may have.
FALL SPORTS TRYOUT FORMS
Tryout Permission Forms for fall sports (Boys Flag Football and Girls Volleyball) need to be filled out and returned to Coach Gozback in the P.E. Office by
next Friday, June 8
. CLICK HERE to access the form.
UNIFORMS & SPIRIT STORE
Online Serra Spirit Store
- PURCHASE NOW: PE t-shirts, PE shorts, sketch pads, rosaries, recorder instruments (required for 3rd & 4th grade), hair accessories and other items
- SJSC LOGO items, including license plate frames, decals, stadium chairs, travel blankets, mugs, travel tumblers and more, are available in our ONLINE SERRA SPIRIT STORE
- SPIRIT PACKS available for limited time: Save 20-25%
- Please note: the Online Store will be closing for the school year, June 12 at 3:00 p.m. and will re-open for sales online, July 31, 2018. Watch for Mrs. Trudell's Summer email for the link. Orders will be available for pick up at our SerraStrong event on Tuesday, August 28, 4:30-7:00 p.m.
Used Uniforms on Sale
Dennis Uniform label items will be accepted for credit towards other used clothing. Tuesday, June 12 from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. is the last day Used Clothing will be open for this school year. Items may be dropped off for credit, during school hours. Please note your family's last name for proper credit.
Dennis Uniform News for the Summer @Mission Viejo store:
- In store exclusive ST. SERRA EVENT, Wednesday, August 15 from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Regular Dennis Uniform store hours:
Tuesday-Thursday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Labor Day, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
August Hours only:
Monday-Thursday, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
2018-2019 LAPTOP BOOTCAMP SIGN-UPS OPEN
This summer our exciting Laptop Bootcamps will return for students entering Third Grade, and all NEW students to Serra
entering Grades Four to Eight in 2018-2019.
Bootcamps will be held on
August 14, 15, and 16. Sign-ups are now open.
New this year! We are pleased to offer Bootcamp 2.0 for returning students who need assistance with: PowerPoint, OneNote, and Saving Files, Docs, etc.
Registration in Bootcamp sessions will be first-come, first-serve, with a limit of 20 students per session. Bootcamps will be held on the St. Serra campus.
If your family will not be available to attend any of the dates listed above, please email
immediately so that we can work with you to schedule your family on another date.
Important information regarding Bootcamps:
- Students must attend the Bootcamp in order to check-out their laptop
- One parent must accompany students at the Bootcamp
- Each Bootcamp session will last between 1-1/2 and 2 hours
- Morning, afternoon, and evening sessions will be offered
- Registration is required for Bootcamp; walk-ins will not be accepted
- Laptops are required when school begins
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
SUMMER PROGRAMS IN THE COMMUNITY
JSerra Catholic HS Lion Engage Summer Program
Designed for students entering grades 6-8, Lion Engage is an engaging program that gives students the opportunity to dive into experiential learning. Students will learn from passionate JSerra instructors, interact with high school student mentors, and have a blast! The flexible programming allows students to come for mornings or afternoons, or both, and to come for one week or both weeks. Check out JSerra's website for class information and to sign up!
JSerra Catholic HS Summer Youth Sport Camps
Do you have a student athlete? Check out JSerra Catholic High School's summer youth sports camps! Students will practice skills and make new friends. See the JSerra website for more information:
Santa Margarita HS Summer Sports Camps
SMCHS Summer Youth Camps are designed for young athletes in elementary school through middle school. Youth camps are open to all young people in the local community.
SMCHS Summer Sports & Entertainment Broadcasting Camp
Calling all Boys and Girls from 8 to 18 years of age. Get hands-on "Real and Professional Broadcast" experience in front of and behind the camera.
for more information and to download the form.
Sign up now as the camp always fills up. See you this summer!
for more information or to register. If you have any questions about any of our youth summer camps, please email us at email@example.com or
Mater Dei Boys Volleyball Summer Camp
Incoming 4th and 8th-grade boys are invited to the Mater Dei 2018 Boys Volleyball
Summer Camp and 8th-grade boys are invited to the Boys Volleyball High School Camp. The cost of the camps is $275 and both will run from July 23 - August 3, 2018.
for more information.