Volume 24 * Issue 01 * September 6, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
|We are so thrilled to have everyone back this week! It was a pleasure for me to see the joyful faces of our students and parents as they walked onto our new and improved campus on Tuesday. We understand the beginning of the school year can be a time of many challenges as you sift through the mounds of information and get used to new procedures, however the smiles of the students just brighten and make each day so very, very special!
FIRST SCHOOL-WIDE MASS FOR GRADES 1-8 THIS FRIDAY
SEPTEMBER 7, 2018 AT 9:30 A.M.
Our Catholic Mass is at the center of our faith where we remember the great sacrifice Our Lord made for us and how he continues to remind us of His endless LOVE. Please join us for our first school-wide Mass tomorrow at
in the Student Activity Center. Mass will be celebrated by Father Reynold of Holy Trinity Parish. We are excited to share our new school theme;
"We are one united community in Christ - courageous, kind, humble, and joyful."
So in Christ, we though many, form one body. - Romans 12:5
Students in Grades 1-8 are to wear Formal Uniform. For your convenience, the inner road will be open for parking, plus we do have parking in the neighborhood for this Mass. There is NO PARKING allowed in the Memorial Health Care parking lot.
Plan to arrive earlier and join other parents as they pray the Rosary before Mass beginning at 8:45 a.m. in front of our Blessed Virgin Mary statue near the library. Everyone is welcome! Please join us after Mass for the St. Serra Community Parent Fellowship and Coffee Social
in the St. Junipero Serra Courtyard.
St. Kilian Needs Our Help Friday, September 7, 2018
At each of our school-wide Masses, the students of St. Junipero Serra support an outreach program by making a small donation into our collection baskets.
This month we would like to assist Father Angelos, pastor of St. Kilian by providing aid to his hometown in the state of Kerala, India. Last month this small village faced horrible rain and flooding, the worst in India's Kerala state in almost 100 years. His niece and nephew were missing for over a week but thankfully, finally located. They, and thousands, have lost everything they own (which isn't much). Thank you for encouraging your children to make a small donation to those in need and
for remembering to support this ministry at Mass.
SAVE THE DATE - FOOD FOR FRIENDS IS BACK!
Friday, September 14, 2018
"And now abide: faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."
Friday, September 14
is our first
Food for Friends" food drive for the 2018-19 school year. We would like to extend a prayer of gratitude to our community for successfully supporting this outreach program at SJSC each year which benefits the food banks associated with our parishes. New to our food drive will be a monthly theme and suggested donation. Your contributions will continue to feed hungry men, women and children in our communities throughout the year.
This month we will have a cereal drive
as we all know breakfast is the most important meal in a child's life.
Food drives also strengthen our community by giving us an opportunity to live the Gospel teachings of Jesus, "Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me."
In an effort to continue to streamline this program, we will be providing you with a "food flyer" only. Thank you for using a grocery bag from home.
PARKING AND WALKING ONTO CAMPUS FOR MORNING DROP-OFF OR AFTERNOON PICK-UP
Although we strongly encourage our parents to go through the traffic pattern, for those parents who choose to park and walk, we would like to clarify the following:
- Access to campus in the morning is still through the Kindergarten playground as it was last year. This gate will now close at the conclusion of morning traffic at 7:40 a.m. For the next few weeks, this will be the only access available for afternoon pick-up as well. The gate will open at 2:30 p.m.
- Within the next few weeks we should have the "walker" sidewalk in the main parking lot ready for our use again. Keep watching for updates in the SerraDIPITY.
- There is now a NEW gate between the new Student Creation and Leadership Center (SCLC) and the PEB (near the PEB traffic lanes). This gate will only be open on special occasions and will not be accessible during morning drop-off or afternoon pick-up.
As a reminder, the City Parking Permit Program is in effect in the neighborhood on school days from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Vehicles parked without a valid City-issued permit will be ticketed.
Periodically, the school does receive an exemption to the parking program and families will be notified via the weekly SerraDIPITY electronic newsletter when it is permissible to park on El Vado and Galisteo.
We have received permission from the City to park in the neighborhood tomorrow, Friday, September 7 for our first School Mass. The program will be enforced all other school days.
At NO TIME is parking allowed in the Memorial Care Health Facility lot. They are a private business and need their parking lot for their staff and patients during business hours which coincide with school hours. Likewise, the Condo Complex on La Ventana to the south of the school is off limits for parking as it also is private property and those residents have very limited parking themselves.
Thank you for being courteous to our neighbors at all times. In order to maintain a cordial relationship with all the surrounding communities, we ask that you follow all traffic procedures, laws, and parking restrictions to lessen the disruption to our neighbors. Any family who continually disregards this request is in defiance of the Code of Christian Conduct (Section 402 of our Parent Student Handbook) and could incur consequences.
Student "Walker" Authorization Form
Required for students to leave campus unaccompanied after school
As in the past, students may not leave campus without having a written authorization form on file with the school. Per Diocesan policy, students may leave campus unaccompanied after school only under two scenarios: if a student lives within 1.5 miles of the school, or if a student is walking to the bus stop adjacent to the school on Antonio Parkway (a bus route number must be written on the form). There are no other circumstances under which a student may leave campus unsupervised at dismissal.
The authorization forms are available on our school website at
and must be returned to the School Office for approval before a student may leave campus unsupervised at dismissal (approval may take up to three school days). Once approved, the form will be sent to the student's homeroom and they may then begin leaving campus unsupervised after school. All students must exit through the Kindergarten gate (until further notice) and check out with the staff member on duty. The staff member will also give the student his/her walker pass the first time he/she leaves campus after school.
JOY, this year's theme is defined to us as Jesus, Others, You.
Today, if we can find a way to be a blessing to someone else, what we are truly doing is bringing Jesus into their lives. In turn we feel great
JOY for being there and supporting someone else.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 4
Mrs. Alison Daley, Principal Grades 5 - 8
Back-to-School Night Itinerary
5th - 8th Grade
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Schedule as follows:
Doors to MEC Open
6:00 - 6:25
Advanced Plus Math
Grade 5 in 5D
Grades 6 - 8 in 7D
Small Group Math
Grade 5 in 5C
Grades 6 - 8 in 6D
Homeroom Doors Open
Parents in student's homeroom
Mrs. Trudell and Mrs. Daley Welcome
7:00 - 7:20
Parents to move to their next session
7:25 - 7:40
Parents to move to their next session
7:45 - 8:00
8:05 - 8:30 Advanced Plus ELA
Grade 5 in 5D
Grade 6 in 6B
Grades 7 & 8 in 8E
Small Group ELA
Grade 5 & 6 in 5C
Back-to-School Night Itinerary
2nd - 4th Grade
Thursday, Septmeber 13, 2018
In order to provide the opportunity for our parents to meet more of their child(ren)'s teachers at Back-to-School Night, we have reorganized the evening.
PLEASE NOTE change for our Small Group and ADV+ for our 2nd Grade Parents
2nd Grade Schedule as follows:
2nd Grade Small Group ELA
in PEB 227
2nd Grade Advanced Plus ELA
in PEB 229
2nd Grade Small Group Math
in PEB 227
2nd Grade Advanced Plus Math
in PEB 229
6:15 p.m. Homeroom Doors Open
Parents in student's homeroom
Mrs. Trudell and Mrs. Reiss Welcome
6:55 - 8:00
3rd and 4th Grade Schedule as follows:
6:15 p.m. Homeroom Doors Open
Parents in student's homeroom
Mrs. Trudell and Mrs. Reiss Welcome
6:55 - 7:20
Session 1 HOMEROOMS
Parents to move to their student's ELA classroom
7:25 - 7:40
Session 2 ELA PRESENTATIONS
Parents to move to their student's MATH classroom
7:45 - 8:00
Session 3 MATH PRESENTATIONS
Back-to-School Night for Preschool, Pre-K, TK, K, and 1st is Thursday, September 20.
When Will Students in Grades 1 and 2 Bring iPads Home?
The students in Grades 1 and 2 will be bringing their iPads home for homework this year. Your child's teacher will let you know when that will begin at Back-to-School Night on
All parents of students in Kindergarten through Grade 8 are encouraged to utilize Sycamore daily for ongoing information pertaining to your child's education. Please note Sycamore is used to post grades, behavior management system reports (grades 3-8), and much more. Teachers will not be posting grades until after
Renaissance STAR Testing
The testing windows for the 2018-2019 school year are:
- September 10 - September 21
- January 7 - January 18
- May 13 - May 24
HELPFUL TEST-TAKING NOTES
- Make sure your children have eaten well on test days. Studies suggest that good nutrition is related to improved attention and concentration.
- Help your children by encouraging a good night's rest.
- Ensure that your children make it to school on time so that they do not miss any instructions and are allowed ample time to settle in and relax before the test begins.
- Please do not schedule dental or doctor appointments on testing days.
- Although it is important to let students know the tests should be taken seriously, it is also important not to increase any test-taking anxiety.
UNIFORMS & SPIRIT STORE
- Serra Spirit Store Updates. Thank you for your support of the Serra Spirit Store this past month! All orders placed through Sunday, September 2, were delivered to the oldest child's homeroom today, Thursday, September 6. We apologize that some of the smaller sizes of PE shirts and shorts are now out of stock. Out of stock items, including Sketchbooks have been reordered. Watch your SerraDIPITY Thursday for availability on the online SERRA SPIRIT STORE. Orders placed from the online Serra Spirit Store will be delivered to your oldest child's homeroom within 48 hours (please allow extra time if ordering on a weekend).
- PE Uniform Update. Please know the Principals and teachers are aware that some students may not be in PE uniform. Here is the direction if you are without a PE shirt or short for next week:
PE Shirts - If a student has a back-ordered PE shirt they may wear a Harvest shirt, their Spirit shirt or a regular uniform shirt. Students are not to wear non-uniform tops.
PE Shorts -
If a student has a back-ordered PE uniform bottom they are to wear a uniform bottom, any uniform bottom will do. Students cannot wear non-uniform bottoms.
- SerraStrong Shirt Questions? CLICK HERE for the answers!
- Show your St. Serra spirit! Car decals, water bottles, stadium chairs and more are all available. ORDER NOW!
- Got Used Uniforms? The Serra Spirit Store will begin collecting gently used Dennis Uniforms next week, beginning Tuesday, September 11. Remember:
- We accept clean, Dennis Uniform labeled clothing in good condition
- Credit is given to the St. Serra family toward other used clothing. No cash is exchanged
- Our volunteers are available to assist you in the Serra Spirit Store, located in the School Office on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, 7:30-8:30 a.m., beginning Tuesday, September 11.
Questions and requests for items that are out of stock?
In-N-Out Lunch Program
"October only" orders and "Annual orders" (October -June) are available until Friday, September 14, 3:00 p.m.
Sapphire Hot Lunch Program, Sapphire Snack Bar & Sapphire Emergency Lunch Program
Six important tips!
To participate in these programs, parents must register their students in the Sapphire at School *new* ordering system and pre-load funds. There is a 4% fee for each pre-load.
1. *NEW* How does the Sapphire SNACK BAR work? Snack Bar opens Monday, September 10, daily 9:00-10:15 a.m., 11:00 a.m. - 1:10 p.m.
- Only students with Sapphire at School accounts will be served.
- No cash accepted.
- Students with Sapphire accounts will walk up to the Snack Bar window (MEC Servery) and a Sapphire cashier or SJSC parent volunteer will assist them. The student will say their name and then may choose from the menu as long as they have preloaded funds on their Sapphire at School acct.
- See the new healthier SAPPHIRE SNACK BAR MENU. List of nutritional items available can be found at sapphireatschool.com
2. *NEW* What is an EMERGENCY LUNCH?
- If a child is without a lunch, they should go to the Snack Bar in the MEC Servery. The Sapphire cashier will ask the student their name. If they do not have a lunch provided to them via Sapphire Hot Lunch or the Late Lunch Cart, then the student will be served an Emergency Lunch.
- An EMERGENCY LUNCH consists of: A sunbutter & jelly sandwich (nut free, sunbutter is made from sunflower seeds), fruit, savory side and bottle of water for a charge of $7.50, irregardless of whether the student has a Sapphire account. Sapphire will contact the family to obtain payment if there is not a Sapphire account set up. Family primary contact information will be provided to Sapphire by SJSC.
3. *NEW* If you are bringing your student a LATE LUNCH, make sure you drop it off by 11:00 a.m.!
- If you are bringing in a LATE LUNCH for your student, please make sure their first and last names, and homeroom are on the lunch. Place the lunch on the LATE LUNCH CART and SIGN-IN the lunch in the School Office (the log is on the cart) NO LATER THAN 11:00 a.m. The cart will be taken by staff to the Snack Bar window at 11:00 a.m.
- If you arrive after 11:00 a.m. with a Late Lunch, please sign-in at the School Office for a badge, walk the lunch down to the LATE LUNCH cart at the MEC hallway next to the Snack Bar and Sign the Late Lunch into the log on the cart.
What do I need to get started?
New Families are receiving their students Sycamore ID's in today's yellow Monthly Envelope.
6. SUMMARY: Where are these items served to students?
- Pick up at the PEB Servery window.
- Walk ups for students with Sapphire accounts at the MEC Servery
- Forgot a Lunch? Sapphire will serve your student at the Snack Bar window (MEC Servery)
- A SJSC volunteer will assist your student to check the Late Lunch log on the cart at the Snack Bar window (MEC Servery) beginning at 11 a.m.
WELCOME BACK ST. SERRA COMMUNITY PARENT FELLOWSHIP AND COFFEE SOCIAL
Friday, September 7, 2018
10:30-11:00 a.m. in the SJSC Courtyard
"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them
Please join us for our PTO-hosted After-Mass Social on Friday, September 7, immediately following St. Serra's first Mass of the school year. Third Grade will be providing light hospitality, coffee and water. Great way to reconnect with other St. Serra parents. We look forward to seeing you there!
WELCOME FROM YOUR PTO
Welcome to the 2018-19 school year! The
PARENT TEACHER ORGANIZATION (PTO)
is a partnership between parents and teachers dedicated to enriching the lives of our children through their journey at St. Serra. Our PTO events focus on building community, providing outreach and faith enrichment to our neighbors, and raising funds to keep tuition affordable for every child that wants to experience a Catholic education.
We encourage every parent to attend our monthly PTO Board meetings held in our Parent Hub located in the new Student Creation and Leadership Center (SCLC) right here on campus and to become involved with the St. Serra Community. Our first meeting of the school year is Wednesday, September 12, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
of the St. Serra Website or download our SJSC App and select Parents>PTO Events or "Ready Set Go" to learn more about the PTO, volunteer opportunities, upcoming events, and more!
Please see below for details on upcoming events and a special message from PTO President Shannon O'Connor:
CHOIR STARTS TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
SIGN UP TODAY!
Tiny Trebles Choir (First Grade) - Tuesdays, 1:50 - 2:30 p.m. PEB Music Room
Tiny Trebles Choir (Second Grade) - Thursdays, 1:50 - 2:30 p.m. PEB Music Room
Serra Singers (Grades 3 & 4) - Tuesdays/Thursdays 6:50 - 7:40 a.m. PEB Music Room
Serranade Choir (Grades 5-8) - Tuesdays/Thursdays 6:50 - 7:40 a.m. SCLC Music Room
Bellissima Handbells (Grades 5-8) - Tuesdays/Thursdays 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. SCLC Music Room
Junior Thespian Troupe (grades 6-8) - First Meeting Monday, September 24, 2:30-3:30 p.m. SCLC Music Room
Participation agreements for all choirs will be available soon on the Choir and Handbells page on the Serra Website . Participation Agreements are due by Friday, September 28. Students may attend rehearsals without turning in their Participation Agreement until that date.
SAVE THE DATE - SCHOOL PICTURES
Start practicing those smiles!
TK - Grade 8 School pictures will be held the week of September 24. Preschool pictures will be held during the week of September 17. A detailed schedule will come out ahead of time so check your SerraDIPITY.
Would you like to help with TK - Grade 8 school pictures? Please e-mail Mrs. Debbie McGee at
ANNIE JR. IS COMING SOON!
Winter Musical Auditions Start
Monday, September 17
Mark your calendars! Auditions for Annie Jr. will be held September 17 (grades 5-8) and September 18
(grades 1-4) in the Middle School Music room (SCLS). All information can be found on the SJSC website > Campus Life>Theater Arts
2018 TREE OF REMEMBRANCE ORNAMENT
As is the tradition at St. Serra, we will offer the Memorial Ornament program to our families again this year. Ornaments can now be purchased to memorialize your loved ones that have gone home to our Lord. For those not familiar with the SJSC Memorial program, please visit
on the SJSC website.
In today's yellow Monthly Envelope, we have enclosed an order form
. If you would like to pay by check, fill the form out and return it with a check for $30 made payable to Serra Catholic School. Please direct the envelope to the attention of the Advancement Office. If you would like to pay with a credit card, please
to submit the form and payment online.
Ornaments must be ordered by September 28 for participation in the November 1, 2018 Memorial Mass. Please contact Cindy Carpino at ext. 239 with any questions.
AFTER-SCHOOL CLASSES ARE STARTING BACK UP!
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School offers numerous after-school classes to our students. Registration for most classes is available on our website. Classes begin the week of October 1!
to view and register for the Fall 2018 class lineup.
Fall classes include: Golf Squad, Piano, Young Rembrandts, Showtime Dance, Super Soccer Stars, and Paul Effman Music.
Keep reading the SerraDIPITY for more information about future classes.
Please note that parents are not permitted in the room during class but are asked to pick up their students in front of the MEC immediately following after school classes, unless otherwise noted on the registration form.
HOMEWORK CLUB STARTS MONDAY, OCTOBER 1
is for students who are challenged by completing their homework in a timely manner, need additional assistance with assignments, may forget to do the assigned homework, and for those who tend to turn in homework after the due date or who may turn in the assignments without completing the work. Homework Club is also recommended for students in Extended Care who would benefit from a smaller group.
CLICK HERE to learn more. Please keep checking the website for the registration forms. They should be up by early next week. If you are interested or have questions, please contact:
ST. SERRA GOLF CLASSIC
Monday, September 24, 2018
Coto de Caza Golf and Racquet Club
- Have you registered? Don't miss out on a great day of golf in support of our St. Serra students. REGISTER yourself or a foursome today! We are looking forward to playing the tournament at Coto de Caza Golf Club this year. Come enjoy the day and compete for the chance to raise the Trudell Cup in victory! The Early Bird registration fee ($295) is available until 3:00 p.m. tomorrow, Friday, September 7.
JUST ADDED: Blue & Gold Player Experience Sponsor for $2,000!
- If you aren't a golfer, no problem! Join us for our awards dinner, silent auction, and plenty of camaraderie with other St. Serra families and supporters following the tournament (purchase a ticket using the above link).
- Don't drop the ball! Take a chance at winning $3,000 plus, your child could win $500! CLICK HERE for the Ball Drop details and to download the Golf Ball Purchase Order Form. Turn in your Order Form by Friday, September 7, to be included in our FIRST Incentive Drawing!
- Join our team of Sponsors! The generosity of our sponsors is the key to our success! We would be most grateful if your business or family would sponsor our event. There are many sponsor opportunities available, starting at just $250 for a Tee Sponsorship! CLICK HERE to view available sponsorships.
- Silent Auction SOS! Do you have access to great sports or theatre tickets, a vacation home that you could donate for a weekend or week-long getaway, or any other unique item or experience (e.g., passes to Club 33 at Disneyland, backstage passes to a concert or show)? If yes, please consider supporting the Silent Auction through the PTO's new Gift Gathering Program. Thank you for your generosity!
- Visit the GOLF CLASSIC HOMEPAGE for all the details and to learn about volunteer needs the day of the tournament. Questions? Contact the Golf Classic Leadership Team at email@example.com.
ESSENTIAL LEARNING SYSTEMS (ELS) PROGRAM
ELS is a program offered at St. Junipero Serra for students who may learn differently. ELS is a computerized, multi-sensory, interactive program that improves focus, strengthens information
processing skills, and enhances a variety of academic skills (e.g., reading decoding, reading fluency, comprehension, vocabulary development, and spelling).
If your child is struggling with reading skills, lacks confidence in academics skills, has difficulty understanding or remembering information, takes a long time to complete schoolwork or homework, has limited independent learning skills, and/or benefits from additional academic support, ELS may help. ELS provides a fun environment where students strengthen their skills in a game-like format and earn points and incentives for their efforts. There are two after-school sessions available: 1:50-2:35 p.m. (for students in grades K through 2) and 2:50-3:40 p.m. (for students in grades 3 through 8). Students attend ELS up to four days per week (Monday through Thursday) for a minimum of one academic year. Please e-mail Dr. Quigley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call if you would like more information or to enroll your child.
SERRASTRONG CELEBRATION KICKS OFF NEW SCHOOL YEAR
Thank you to the many SJSC families, faculty and staff who came out to celebrate SerraStrong last Tuesday! The event was a wonderful kick-off to the school year and a great way to welcome new SJSC families into our community.
We hope everyone had a chance to stop by the booths and see the amazing volunteer opportunities that will be available this year. Special thank you to PTO Event Chair Jessica Hudson, and Melissa Singleton, PTO VP Community Events, for making this special event come together.
2018 HARVEST FESTIVAL
Sunday, October 28, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
"Blessed are those who dwell in your house." Psalm 84:4
Here's what you need to know about Harvest Festival 2018:
- Underwriting Opportunities - We encourage you to help us make this day a success through your generous donations and in return we offer some amazing benefits such as RESERVED E-Z UPS and FUN ZONE WRISTBANDS!
- HARVEST FESTIVAL RAFFLE - Your raffle tickets were sent home in today's Yellow Monthly Envelope. Be sure to buy/sell them to earn special incentives such as a NON-UNIFORM DRESS PASS, HARVEST T-SHIRTS and more!
- T-SHIRTS - Shirts are on sale now through the Serra Spirit Store! Get yours today to show your Harvest pride for only $15. Students may wear the shirts on PE days (excluding Formal Uniform days) through December.
- EVENT VOLUNTEERS - Check out the numerous opportunities to earn your service hours!
- HARVEST FESTIVAL HOMEPAGE - Stay up-to-date on all the latest information.
Congratulations to our parents who have made the new Rebate Program a success, collectively earning
overall towards educational costs through August
"Thank you for setting me up with the shopwithscrip online/mobile program. I tried it out and purchased a Red Robin gift card to celebrate my daughter's upcoming birthday. I received the e-card within a couple of minutes, I printed it out, and it's ready to use! It's so easy and convenient. I can see us earning a lot of rebates in tuition credits. Thank you again for taking a time to explain the program and set me up! So far, it's been amazing! With the added convenience of mobile orders, there is no reason why any purchases shouldn't be done through shopwithscrip.com."
Participants are required to
their registration every year on September 1, even if you registered as recently as June, July or August.
Rebates for Quarter ending May 31, 2018
are now due and must be emailed to the Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator by September 30, 2018. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE FOR LATE REPORTS DUE TO RESTRICTIONS FROM RALPH'S. CLICK HERE
Additions to our daily sales:
at 5% rebate, available in increments of $20
at 1.25% rebates and no activation fee, available in increments of $50
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
LUNCH & RECESS DUTY
Sign up today!
Shifts for Lunch supervision, TK/Kindergarten supervision, Sapphire Lunch, In-n-Out and Snack Bar
are still available
. Either stop by the Yard Supervision office or email Rosie Chavez at
to sign up.
SJSC LIBRARY & BATTLE OF THE BOOKS (BOB)
The SJSC Library will open on Monday, September 10. The first Battle of the Books (BOB) meeting will be
Wednesday, September 12
during 4th and 5th grade lunches. CLICK HERE for more information about BOB and to sign up.