Volume 24 * Issue 02 * September 13, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
FOOD FOR FRIENDS FOOD DRIVE - TOMORROW, SEPTEMBER 14
Tomorrow is our first
Food for Friends" food drive for the 2018-19 school year. This month's food drive theme is Cereal. Please bring unopened cereal boxes to school tomorrow using a grocery bag from home. Your contributions will continue to feed hungry men, women and children in our communities throughout the year. Thank you for your support of this important ministry.
CAMPUS MINISTRY 2018-2019
"Give your HANDS to SERVE and your HEARTS to LOVE." St. Teresa of Calcutta
We are inviting all 6th - 8th grade students interested in Servant Leadership to attend our first Campus Ministry Meeting on
Wednesday, September 19 at 7:00 a.m. in Mrs. Wilkinson's classroom (7C -Rm. C2-204). At this first "get acquainted" meeting we discuss our goals and the outreach projects we'll be involved in this year. Campus Ministry will meet at
7:00 a.m. on the third Wednesday of each month.
Muffins and juice will be provided.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL TIME REMINDER
As a reminder, this year we are back to our regular arrival and dismissal times. Please plan your mornings and afternoons accordingly:
ARRIVAL: 7:40 a.m. - students are marked late after this time
DISMISSAL: 2:40 p.m. - please see the article below for information on picking up earlier.
EARLY RELEASE FROM SCHOOL REMINDER
Per the St. Junipero Serra Catholic School Parent Student Handbook section 708, please note:
For student safety and implications with the dismissal traffic procedures, if you need to pick up your students prior to the end of the school day, students must be picked up by 1:30 p.m. (Grades TK-2) and 2:00 p.m. (Grades 3-8) on regular days and 11:00 a.m. (Grades TK-2) and 11:30 a.m. (Grades 3-8) on minimum days.
ST. KILIAN'S OKTOBERFEST
Come Support our Parish
Join other SJSC families at St. Kilian's Oktoberfest on Saturday, September 22 and Sunday, September 23. Come for a meal - stay for music, dancing, games and fun!
It is a busy time in so many of our lives today, personally and professionally. We can get caught up in the busyness and miss the beauty. Take a moment today to look at the God-given beauty that surrounds you, your drive to work, your garden, the mountains around us, our Chapel bells...whatever the beauty is that you see, it will be calming as we know God had a hand in it all.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 4
Mrs. Alison Daley, Principal Grades 5 - 8
Back-to-School Night Itinerary
2nd - 4th Grade
TONIGHT, Thursday, September 13, 2018
In order to provide the opportunity for our parents to meet more of their child(ren)'s teachers at Back-to-School Night, we have reorganized the evening.
PLEASE NOTE change for our Small Group and ADV+ for our 2nd Grade Parents
2nd Grade Schedule as follows:
2nd Grade Small Group ELA
in PEB 227
2nd Grade Advanced Plus ELA
in PEB 229
2nd Grade Small Group Math
in PEB 227
2nd Grade Advanced Plus Math
in PEB 229
6:15 p.m. Homeroom Doors Open
Parents in student's homeroom
Mrs. Trudell and Mrs. Reiss Welcome
6:55 - 8:00
3rd and 4th Grade Schedule as follows:
6:15 p.m. Homeroom Doors Open
Parents in student's homeroom
Mrs. Trudell and Mrs. Reiss Welcome
6:55 - 7:20
Session 1 HOMEROOMS
Parents to move to their student's ELA classroom
7:25 - 7:40
Session 2 ELA PRESENTATIONS
Parents to move to their student's MATH classroom
7:45 - 8:00
Session 3 MATH PRESENTATIONS
Back-to-School Night for Preschool, Pre-K, TK, K, and 1st Grade is next Thursday, September 20 at 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. Please go directly to your student's homeroom at 6:30 p.m.
New families will be given their Sycamore credentials at Back-to-School night. Please note Sycamore is used to post grades and for accessing Behavior Management System Reports (Grades 3-8). Grades will not be posted by teachers until after
Renaissance STAR Testing
The testing windows for the 2018-2019 school year are:
- September 10 - September 21
- January 7 - January 18
- May 13 - May 24
HELPFUL TEST-TAKING NOTES
- Make sure your child has eaten well on test days. Studies suggest that good nutrition is related to improved attention and concentration.
- Help your child by encouraging a good night's rest.
- Ensure that your child makes it to school on time so that they do not miss any instructions and are allowed ample time to settle in and relax before the test begins.
- Please do not schedule dental or doctor appointments on testing days.
- Although it is important to let students know the tests should be taken seriously, it is also important not to increase any test-taking anxiety.
ST. SERRA GOLF CLASSIC
Monday, September 24, 2018
Coto de Caza Golf and Racquet Club
- Have you registered? REGISTER yourself or a foursome today!
- Don't drop the ball! Take a chance at winning $3,000, plus your child could win $500! CLICK HERE for the Ball Drop details and to download the Golf Ball Purchase Order Form. The final deadline to turn in your Order Form and be included in the last incentive drawing is Monday, September 24.
- Thank you to our wonderful SPONSORS! The generosity of our sponsors is the key to our success! We would be most grateful if your business or family would sponsor our event. There are many sponsor opportunities available, starting at just $250 for a Tee Sponsorship! CLICK HERE to view available sponsorships.
- Silent Auction SOS! Do you have access to great sports or theatre tickets, a vacation home that you could donate for a weekend or week-long getaway, or any other unique item or experience (e.g., passes to Club 33 at Disneyland, backstage passes to a concert or show)? If yes, please consider supporting the Silent Auction through the PTO's new Gift Gathering Program. Thank you for your generosity!
- Visit the GOLF CLASSIC HOMEPAGE for all the details and to learn about volunteer needs the day of the tournament.
- Questions? Contact the Golf Classic Leadership Team at email@example.com.
SAFE ENVIRONMENT TRAINING & FINGERPRINTING
The Diocese of Orange requires that all volunteers who have contact with students at a school site:
1. Must be fingerprinted through a Diocesan approved vendor
2. Must complete Safe Environment training (an online training course)
for more information on how to fulfill these requirements.
VOLUNTEERS ARE THE HEART OF ST. SERRA!
Volunteering is as easy as 1, 2, 3...
- GET APPROVED through fingerprinting & safe environment training. Packets available at School Office. See the article above or CLICK HERE for details. Questions? Contact Mrs. Pinto at firstname.lastname@example.org
- SIGN UP for a shift. Volunteer opportunities are updated ONLINE throughout the year. Let us know what you are interested in and we will find the best opportunity for you!
- RECORD your hours along the way. *NEW* deadline is May 31, 2019. (Service Hours Parent Portal will be open soon. In the meantime, keep a list so you don't forget!)
Required Family Service Hours
- 60 HOURS of volunteer service per each Family benefitting SJSC.
- Lunch & Recess Duty is not a requirement this year but those who do volunteer accrue two Service Hours for every one hour served! These hours are monitored and recorded by SJSC staff, so no need to record it in the Service Hours Parent Portal. E-mail email@example.com to sign up.
- Incomplete Service Hours: Families who have not performed and recorded their required Service Hours by May 31, 2019 will be invoiced at the rate of $15 per hour.
- Questions? E-mail Dana Hardenburgh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
100+ Hours Recognition:
Go for It ~ Every hour adds up! We'd love to include you in our *NEW* "Thank You" event. Record 100+ service hours and join us for a special event at the end of the school year!
UNIFORMS & SPIRIT STORE
We are looking forward to our FIRST Serra Strong Spirit day this
Friday, September 14. All students should wear their Serra Strong Spirit shirt with their uniform bottoms. If they have PE on Fridays, they may wear their PE shorts.
- SerraStrong Shirt Questions? CLICK HERE for the answers!
- Serra Spirit Store Updates.Thank you for your patience as we wait for the backorder of some of the smaller sizes of PE shirts and shorts that are currently out of stock.
- PE Uniform Update. Please know the Principals and teachers are aware that some students may not be in PE uniform. Here is the direction if you are without a PE shirt or short for next week:
- PE Shirts - If a student has a back-ordered PE shirt they may wear a Harvest, Spirit or a regular uniform shirt. Students are not to wear non-uniform tops.
- PE Shorts - If a student has a back-ordered PE uniform bottom they are to wear a uniform bottom, any uniform bottom will do. Students cannot wear non-uniform bottoms.
- Show your St. Serra spirit! Car decals, water bottles, stadium chairs and more are all available. ORDER NOW!
- Got Used Uniforms? The Serra Spirit Store is now collecting gently used Dennis Uniforms. Remember:
- We accept clean, Dennis Uniform labeled clothing in good condition
- Credit is given to the St. Serra family toward other used clothing. No cash is exchanged.
- Our volunteers are available to assist you in the Serra Spirit Store, located in the School Office on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, 7:30-8:30 a.m.
Questions and requests for items that are out of stock?
SAVE THE DATE - SCHOOL PICTURES
Start practicing those smiles!
Preschool pictures will be held on September 19 and 20. CLICK HERE for a detailed schedule. You should have received your order forms at Preschool Orientation, but please note the dates on the order forms have been changed to September 19 and 20. If you do not have a Preschool Picture Order Form, please contact Mrs. Toni Botterill at email@example.com.
Grades TK- 8 pictures will be held the week of September 24. CLICK HERE for a detailed schedule. Order forms will be sent home with your student the week of September 17.
Would you like to help with TK - Grade 8 school pictures? Please e-mail Mrs. Debbie McGee at
ANNIE JR. IS COMING SOON!
Winter Musical Auditions Start
Monday, September 17
Leapin' Lizzards! Annie Jr. auditions are
Tuesday September 17-18
. Students in grades 1-8 should have their audition applications turned in to the School Office by tomorrow afternoon,
September 14. Crew applications have also been added to the website. All information, including the dance video is uploaded to the Theatre Arts webpage. There will be a dance lesson/review in the SCLC Music Room from
Friday, September 14
for anyone interested. Thank you!
ESSENTIAL LEARNING SYSTEMS (ELS) PROGRAM
ELS is a program offered at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School for students who may learn differently. ELS is a computerized, multi-sensory, interactive program that improves focus, strengthens information
processing skills, and enhances a variety of academic skills (e.g., reading decoding, reading fluency, comprehension, vocabulary development, and spelling).
If your child is struggling with reading skills, lacks confidence in academics skills, has difficulty understanding or remembering information, takes a long time to complete schoolwork or homework, has limited independent learning skills, and/or benefits from additional academic support, ELS may help. ELS provides a fun environment where students strengthen their skills in a game-like format and earn points and incentives for their efforts. There are two after-school sessions available: 1:50-2:35 p.m. (for students in grades K through 2) and 2:50-3:40 p.m. (for students in grades 3 through 8). Students attend ELS up to four days per week (Monday through Thursday) for a minimum of one academic year. Please e-mail Dr. Quigley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call if you would like more information or to enroll your child.
In-N-Out Lunch Program Reminder
LAST CALL FOR THE OCTOBER AND ANNUAL IN-N-OUT ORDERS
October only orders and Annual orders (October -June) close TOMORROW, Friday, September 14, at 3:00 p.m.
Sapphire Hot Lunch, Snack Bar & Emergency Lunch Program
IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO JOIN OUR CHOIRS
SIGN UP TODAY!
Tiny Trebles Choir (First Grade) - Tuesdays, 1:50 - 2:30 p.m. PEB Music Room
Tiny Trebles Choir (Second Grade) - Thursdays, 1:50 - 2:30 p.m. PEB Music Room
Serra Singers (Grades 3 & 4) - Tuesdays/Thursdays 6:50 - 7:40 a.m. PEB Music Room
Serranade Choir (Grades 5-8) - Tuesdays/Thursdays 6:50 - 7:40 a.m. SCLC Music Room
Bellissima Handbells (Grades 5-8) - Tuesdays/Thursdays 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. SCLC Music Room
Junior Thespian Troupe (grades 6-8) - First Meeting Monday, September 24, 2:30-3:30 p.m. SCLC Music Room
Participation agreements for all choirs will be available soon on the Choir and Handbells page on the Serra Website . Participation Agreements are due by Friday, September 28. Students may attend rehearsals without turning in their Participation Agreement until that date.
PARENT ROSARY GROUP
Friday Mornings at 7:50 a.m. in the SJSC Courtyard
Please join us on Friday mornings as we pray for our community, families and students. Please contact Veronica Thompson at
with any questions or to be added to the Parent Rosary e-mail list. See you on Friday!
2018 TREE OF REMEMBRANCE ORNAMENT
Ornaments must be ordered by September 28 for participation in the November 1, 2018 Memorial Mass.
If you would like to pay by check, fill the form out and return it with a check for $30 made payable to Serra Catholic School. Please direct the envelope to the attention of the Advancement Office. If you would like to pay with a credit card, please
to submit the form and payment online.
Please contact Cindy Carpino at email@example.com with any questions.
HOMEWORK CLUB STARTS MONDAY, OCTOBER 1
CLICK HERE to learn more about Homework Club and to sign up. Registration forms are now available on our website. For questions, please contact:
2018 HARVEST FESTIVAL
Sunday, October 28, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
"I'm aiming to get all the regular goods cards (gas and groceries etc.) ordered from the start so that I can reload on the go this year where I can maximize the program. Thank you again for your help kick-starting this for our family."
Double Your Rebate Raffle
will be held September 17-21. The winner will double all rebates earned that week. One entry per family. The raffle only applies to daily sales -- both in person and through the Daily Envelope Order form.
The new ShopWithScrip.com Virtual Wallet
pairs the power of ShopWithScrip.com with the convenience of mobile ordering, maximizing your earning potential. You can now:
- Enroll and set up online payments (PrestoPay™)
- Order all card types - physical gift cards, reloads, and eGift cards (ScripNow®)
- Change your password and username
- Add a reloadable card
- Easily access order history
Changes to our Daily sales:
Dennis Uniform at 5% rebate, available in increments of $20
at 1.25% rebates and no activation fee, available in increments of $50
at 1% rebate and re-loadable, available in increments of $50 (in California only)
will no longer be available in our daily sales once we sell out of our current stock. You may still order it through our weekly order form.
Participants are required to register or renew their registration every year on
, even if you registered as recently as June, July or August.
for registration/renewal instructions.
Rebates for Quarter ending May 31, 2018 are now due and must be emailed to the Rebate Program Coordinator by September 30, 2018. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE FOR LATE REPORTS DUE TO RESTRICTIONS FROM RALPH'S.
for instructions on how to submit your rebate.
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator at
AFTER-SCHOOL CLASSES ARE STARTING BACK UP!
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School offers numerous after-school classes to our students. Registration for most classes is available on our website. Classes begin the week of October 1!
to view and register for the Fall 2018 class lineup.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
JSerra High School
- Experience Friday Night Lights with the Lion Pride at JSerra! Admission to JSerra home football games is FREE for all families of prospective students. Any prospective students can visit our School Relations tent from 5:00-7:00 p.m. to receive complementary tickets for the whole family! We can't wait to see you there!