Volume 24 * Issue 12 * November 29, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
The Gift of Hope To All This Advent Season
This Sunday our Church will begin a new Liturgical year as we celebrate the season of Advent. This is time of great expectation and preparation for the next four weeks, as we ready our hearts for the Birth of Our Lord and His Second Coming.
Our theme is "The Gift of Hope to All." Join me in prayer this Sunday as we together begin this joyful journey and let us be alert so that we can see God's presence and Jesus' love as we wait and enjoy His true blessings.
I am hopeful your family will establish an Advent Calendar tradition, which can bring multiple blessings to your family during this time of anticipation and reflection on the birth of our Lord.
Advent Mass December 4, 2018
Please join us next week, Tuesday, December 4 at 9:30 a.m. in the Muzzy Family Student Activity Center, as Father John Nguyen from Holy Trinity celebrates his first mass at St. Junipero Serra. Together we will reflect on preparing our hearts for the coming of Jesus. Christ came to bring JOY into our lives. Won't you join us as a community of faith for this JOYFUL event.
Students in Grades 1-8 are to wear Formal Uniform. For your convenience, the inner road will be open for parking, plus we do have parking in the neighborhood for this Mass. There is NO PARKING allowed in the Memorial Health Care parking lot.
Plan to arrive earlier and join other parents as they pray the Rosary before Mass beginning at 8:45 a.m. in front of our Blessed Virgin Mary statue in our newly dedicated Chapel Rosary Garden. Everyone is welcome! Please join us after Mass for the St. Serra Community Parent Fellowship and Coffee Social in the St. Junipero Serra Courtyard. More information can be found in the PTO section below.
Missionary Childhood Association- MCA Christmas Collection at Mass
At each of our school-wide Masses, the students of St. Junipero Serra support Missionary Childhood Association by making a small donation into our collection baskets. These monies do not go unnoticed as we serve the poorest children around the world. Thank you for remembering to support this ministry as this donation will be our Christmas gift to MCA.
Giving Tuesday Appeal Extended
Each of you received from me our
Giving Tuesday Appeal
via email this week. The opportunity to leave a "Heartprint" in the Chapel is such a beautiful gesture. Commemorate someone who has touched your life, remember a loved one or honor your family with a permanent tribute during this season of giving. We will continue to offer this appeal through December 31 so that our staff, families and alumni can take advantage of this special option for the holiday season.
The Blessings and Challenges of Rain
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School is diligent in our efforts in maintaining our beautiful campus. God granted us with much needed rain today, however, rain can sometimes bring challenges to many different types of structures. St. Serra experienced some of these unexpected challenges today. We are working with the Diocese to mitigate these issues and assure you that repairs will be made in a timely manner.
Christmas Accessories in December
Students are invited to show their holiday spirit by wearing Christmas accessories ONLY on the day their grade will be hosting their Christmas party/celebration. Just what are Christmas accessories? Christmas accessories represent the 'flavor' of the holiday season with Snowmen, Angels, Santa Claus, and Reindeer.
Parents are asked to help their children select the appropriate, joyful accessories to wear, using the following guidelines:
- Students must wear uniform bottoms including belt, if appropriate. (if they have PE, then they must wear their PE shorts)
- All students must wear shoes that meet the school's dress code.
STUDENTS MAY WEAR THE FOLLOWING:
- Christmas and Holiday-themed shirts/sweatshirts and socks
- Christmas and Holiday-themed earrings, bracelets, headbands, bows, ribbons, and rings
- Christmas and Holiday-themed hats which may have to be removed while in class
STUDENTS MAY NOT DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Wear any make-up (other than that which is outlined in the Parent Handbook for students in the Eighth Grade)
- Have hair that is dyed, colored, tinted, bleached, and/or painted any color, not even to go with the Holiday season.
All the class Christmas celebrations are taking place December 17-19. You can check the December Parent Calendar on our website for the specific date for your child.
| We often say we can do "THAT" tomorrow. But JOY, living life as JESUS did, OTHERS to care for and YOU a gift from God is something we should never put off but live daily as JOY brings us closer to Christ.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 4
Mrs. Alison Daley, Principal Grades 5 - 8
Christmas Concerts - Our Special Gifts of the Season!
Please join us as our students in Preschool - Grade 8 tell us the story of the beautiful Nativity, and celebrate the Christmas Season with song.
This year's Christmas performances will all be held in the Student Activity Center on the following dates:
- Grades 2-4 - Thursday, December 6 at 7:00 p.m.
- Grades 5-8 - Tuesday, December 11 at 7:00 p.m.
- TK, Kindergarten, and Grade 1 - Friday, December 14 at 10:00 a.m.
- Preschool - Wednesday, December 19 at 10:00 a.m.
All students Preschool through Grade 8 should wear their Christmas best!
We ask that you please abide by the SJSC uniform dress code.
- Nice dresses, skirts, or dress pants for girls
- Nice pants and dress shirts for boys; ties are optional
- Christmas accessories should be kept to a minimum
- No shorts, jeans, leggings, or open-toe shoes
Parking for Grades 2-4 and Grades 5-8 Evening Performances
Enter the main parking lot from Banderas via the road near Kindergarten. There will be no access off of Antonio. The Banderas entrance will be marked with a cone/flashing light and a staff member in a reflective vest who will be holding a flashlight. Please watch for them and follow their direction.
Neighborhood: As the hours of our performances are after the Permit Parking Program, you are free to park in the adjoining neighborhood, but as always, we ask you to please be respectful of our neighbors.
Memorial Care Parking Lot: Available AFTER 6:10 p.m. We will have a staff member at each entrance to their lot until that time, so please honor Memorial Care's request.
Parking for Preschool & Grades TK/K/1 Concerts
Inner Road: Enter the main parking lot from Banderas via the road near Kindergarten. There will be no access off of Antonio. The Banderas entrance will be marked with a cone and a staff member will be standing near the entrance, so please watch for them and follow their direction.
: We DO NOT have an exemption to the Permit Parking Program on this day, but you are free to park in the neighborhood beginning at 9:00 a.m. A
s always, we ask you to please be respectful of our neighbors.
Memorial Care Parking Lot: NO PARKING in the Memorial Care lot as they will be open for business and need the spaces for their staff and patients.
Arrival Times for Evening Performances
For both evening performances, the doors to the Student Activity Center will open at 6:30 p.m. for open seating. Students in Grades 2-4 and Grades 5-8 who participate in their Christmas Performances will receive non-uniform dress on Friday, December 14.
Students are asked to arrive according to the times listed below:
Christmas Concert Grades 2-4
All students should be in their assigned waiting areas no later than 6:30 p.m.
Pre-concert waiting areas will be opened at 6:15 and are designated as follows:
Christmas Concert Grades 5-8
- Tiny Trebles meet in KD
- Serra Singers meet in KC
- 4th-grade Nativity Play cast meet in the MEC Faculty Room
- All other students will meet in their PEB homerooms
- 5:45pm ~ Eighth Grade Nativity actors
- 6:30pm ~ Bellissima Handbells, Serranade Choir and all other students
Dismissal of students:
In order to safely dismiss students at the conclusion of ALL of the concerts, the students will return to their home rooms following the performances. Parents please remain seated until students have exited the Student Activity Center. Mrs. Trudell will then invite parents to pick up their children from the classrooms.
Refreshments will be provided by our PTO for the TK/K/1 concert and both evening concerts outside the Student Activity Center. Parents are invited for refreshments after the Preschool concert in the homeroom classrooms.
Help Bring JOY Into The Lives Of Others!
- Each homeroom was recently sent information on their assigned family for the optional Adopt-A-Family Outreach Program. As our theme - J.O.Y. (Jesus, Others, Yourself) - reminds us, our commitment to the Adopt-A-Family program allows us to bring the light and hope of Jesus' birth to others. Your gifts will make Christmas truly special for over 200 people who will be eternally grateful for your display of God's love and compassion
- If interested in participating, please send in your wrapped gift donation with your child to their classroom no later than Monday, December 10. TIP - Many of the gift card requests can be purchased through our SCRIP Rebate Program
Student Leadership is selling Santa Grams, now through Friday, December 7.
CLICK HERE for the Order Form. Please turn in your orders to the School Office with attention to "Santa Grams". Payment must be enclosed with your completed forms.
- Santa Grams are $1 each and include a peppermint candy cane as well as a personalized message. If you do not wish to give candy, and would like to give a pencil instead, please indicate "Pencil" on the back of your order form.
- You may pay with cash or check payable to St. Junipero Serra Catholic
- Santa Grams will be delivered to classrooms the week of December 17. We cannot accommodate individual requests for delivery dates/times.
Thank you for your support!
AFTER-SCHOOL MUSIC CLASSES
Paul Effman Music classes will begin Thursday, January 10.
A minimum of 20 students must enroll in order for the program to begin in January.
Classes will be held on Thursdays after school beginning on January 10 at:
2:15-2:45 for grades 1 and 2
2:45-3:15 for grades 3 and up.
CLICK HERE to for more information or to sign up.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED for our minted.com fundraiser! Save 15% and give 15% back to SJSC when purchasing your Christmas Cards. Help us reach our goal of 30+ orders! Use promo code: FUNDRAISESTSERRA. Orders must be placed by 11:59 p.m. PST on December 9.
- Hey Serra Bears - SHOW US YOUR CARDS! Send in your minted 2018 Christmas Card to your child's homeroom and we will display them on our Christmas Card Wall of Thanks in the School Office. All families who participate will receive a special thank you delivered to each child's homeroom. Cards need to be received by December 13, 2018 to be considered for the treat.
Help support a St. Serra family owned business,
Facial Aesthetic Concepts
and support the school at the same time. During December, any purchase of skin care products, skincare services, and medical services will earn 10% back to SJSC up to $2,500. Buy a gift card and give one to your teacher, spouse, mother, sister or anyone special in your life! Book your December appointments today at the Rancho Santa Margarita location at (949) 709-4141. Be sure to bring the fundraiser
SCRIP REBATE PROGRAM
Did you know...
you can earn bonus rebates, even double them, on
? Congratulations to those families who maximized their earnings during Thanksgiving week! The next round of bonus days will be upon us soon, just in time for Christmas. Don't miss your chance to earn real money towards your educational costs. Set up your online account now by contacting the Rebate Program Office.
NEW - Gift Card Wrappers both Regular and Holiday
are now available to order through our weekly form, $2 for a 10 pack at 10% rebate.
price has increased to $20.50. Please make sure you are submitting the correct weekly order form.
Chili's Bar & Grill
cards can also be used at
On the Border
Lowe's & Staples
will no longer be available through the Daily order form, but still available through our Weekly order form
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
SANTA'S SECRET CHRISTMAS SHOP
Embrace the Spirit of Giving!
SANTA'S SECRET CHRISTMAS SHOP.
Event Chairs Mrs. Heather Boyajian, Mrs. Joan Baird,
and their hardworking committee of elves
are busy hosting this special event. Santa's Secret Christmas Shop which is currently open in our Parent Hub through Thursday, December 6.
- Shopping: As a reminder, Santa's Secret Christmas Shop envelopes for participating students are due to your Homeroom Teachers as soon as possible. The Class Shopping Schedule is located in the "PARENTS ONLY" password-protected area of the St. Serra website. The schedule is located under PTO News and Information
- Santa's Helpers Needed! There are still a few more volunteer shifts available. Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or SIGN UP today!
- Questions? Contact Event Chairs Mrs. Heather Boyajian and Mrs. Joan Baird at email@example.com
ESSENTIAL LEARNING SYSTEMS (ELS) PROGRAM
ELS is a program offered at St. Junipero Serra for students who learn differently. ELS is a computerized, multi-sensory, interactive program that improves focus, strengthens information
processing skills, and enhances a variety of academic skills (e.g., reading decoding, reading fluency, comprehension, vocabulary development, and spelling).
If your child is struggling with reading skills, lacks confidence in academics skills, has difficulty understanding or remembering information, takes a long time to complete schoolwork or homework, has limited independent learning skills, and/or benefits from additional academic support, ELS may help. ELS provides a fun environment where students strengthen their skills in a game-like format and earn points and incentives for their efforts. There are two after-school sessions available: 1:50-2:35 p.m. (for students in grades K through 2) and 2:50-3:40 p.m. (for students in grades 3 through 8). Students attend ELS up to four days per week (Monday through Thursday) for a minimum of one academic year. Please e-mail Dr. Quigley at
or call ext. 243 if you would like more information or to enroll your child.
Help Support the SMARTLABS!
Help Us Reach $100,000 before the end of the year!
How? Just Give What You Can! Participation is the Key to Success!
The creative learning opportunities our students have in the Creativity Labs with the innovative SMARTLAB curriculum is unlike anything around and it's because of YOUR support. Thank you to those families that have given so far to this year's Annual Fund.
Our class competition is off and running! Look at the Sunday Parent Email this Sunday for your grade level participation level. 5th Grade is in the lead and on their way to get to 100%! Note: Your family donation credits ALL student grade levels in your family. You do not have to assign your donation to a particular grade level if you have multiple students.
If you haven't already, please don't forget to make your donation today by visiting our
Annual Fund On-line Giving page.
Thank you in advance for your participation and support of the 2018-2019 Annual Fund.
TUITION ASSISTANCE LUNCHEON
Sunday, January 27, 2019
Don't forget to get your tickets to the
Seasons Tuition Assistance Luncheon
. Some of our beautiful tables still have seats available. Enjoy this wonderful event that does GREAT things for our community and for urban schools in the Diocese of Orange. Grab a friend or a group of friends and join us for a fun afternoon! For more information, please contact
PARENT FELLOWSHIP & COFFEE SOCIAL
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
10:30 - 11:00 a.m. in the SJSC Courtyard
"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you" (Luke 1:28)
Please join us at the PTO hosted Parent Coffee Social immediately following our St. Serra Advent Mass next Tuesday, December 4. Light hospitality, coffee and water will be provided by the First-grade Room Parent Team. We look forward to seeing you there!
PRIVATE ST. SERRA STUDENT EVENT AT CIRCUS TRIX
- Tickets are now available for a private St. Junipero Serra Catholic event at CIRCUS TRIX on Wednesday, December 19, 12:30-2:30 p.m. Cost is $20 per ticket (special ticket price includes lunch of pizza and water)
- This is a St. Serra Family-only event. Non-Serra Siblings may attend. This is not a drop off event. Adults are free unless you want to jump with your child. REGISTER EARLY! Limited to the first 165 students to register
- Questions? Email Melissa Singleton at firstname.lastname@example.org
CELEBRATION BOOK CLUB
The Celebration Book
Club is the library's main funding for new books. Celebrate your student's birthday, special accomplishment, First Communion, favorite holiday, or dedicate a book in honor of your child's teacher. If you would like to participate in the CBC simply fill out the form online. Students may choose their new book from the selection.
for the order form.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
San Francisco Solano Church Upcoming Events
San Francisco Solano Church would like to invite you to three upcoming events at their parish. All three events are FREE! Please click the links below for more information on each event:
Holy Trinity Church Upcoming Events
Youth Night on Friday, November 30
graders are invited to attend the monthly youth night! Enjoy a night of games, snacks, and fun! 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the parish hall.
Ladies Advent Candlelight Reflection on Wednesday, December 5
are invited to the Candlelight Reflection on December 5 from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. in the parish hall. This is an evening of inspiration to prepare for the Advent season. This is a beautiful way to enter into the journey of Advent together. Perfect for mothers & daughters!
Santa Margarita High School Christmas Production
Santa Margarita Catholic High School's Performing Arts Department presents their annual Christmas Production, "A 1940s Christmas Homecoming," featuring students from all the performing arts classes, dance, theatre, choir, steel drums, orchestra, handbells and guitar ensembles.
TOMORROW, Friday, November 30, 2018
Friday, November 30, 2018
Showtimes: 5:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. in the
Moiso Family Pavilion
Tickets: $20.00 Student/Child/Adult; Tickets can be purchased at the door or in advance at
Mater Dei High School Admissions Information
Christmas at the Corner
Sunday, December 2, 5:00-7:00 p.m. This
event features Performances, Food, Caroling, and more!
Become Accepted to Mater Dei NOW!
Saturday, January 26, 2019. 7:45 a.m. Register today at