Volume 24 * Issue 15 * January 10, 2018
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
Happy New Year and Welcome Back! We hope you enjoyed a blessed Christmas Season with family and friends. We pray that the virtues of the Christmas Season - hope, joy, peace and love - shine brightly in 2019.
Are you missing Christmas already?! Prior to our Christmas break, our youngest St. Serra Bears performed at their TK-Grade 1 and Preschool Christmas Concerts to the delight of all those in attendance. The highlight videos and link to photos from those concerts are now up on our website at SerraSchool\Campus Life\Christmas Concerts. We hope these videos will brighten your day as you relive these adorable performances.
Seasons Tuition Assistance Luncheon
Sunday, January 27, 2019
Last year we began a new tradition at our Season's luncheon during Catholic School's Week. We now honor someone within our Diocese that has made a significant commitment to Catholic education, particularly for those students who need assistance with their
in order to obtain that Catholic
education. I am pleased to announce this year's recipient of the Our Lady of Guadalupe Commitment Award is
Mr. Dave Hanna
. Mr. Hanna has been instrumental in the lives of many St. Serra students and alum students through his mentoring programs and financial commitment through a scholarship he set up in honor of his
. We will be honoring Mr. Hanna at this year's luncheon and hope that as many "friends of Dave" will be in the room to celebrate with us. If you have not yet purchased your tickets for the Seasons Luncheon, there
are still tickets available.
Reserve your seat
today while you still have a chance. We anticipate this event to sell out.
Travel Opportunity Raffle Back By Popular Demand! Buy your tickets today!
The winner of this raffle will have his/her choice of
one of these exclusive travel destination packages
Choose between Lake Tahoe Ski Getaway, Sonoma Valley Wine and Dine Experience, Punta Cana Paradise or Nashville Weekend Getaway! Accommodations and airfare* are included in all packages. For additional information, check out the details
Tickets are $80 each or you can purchase three tickets for a discounted price of $200. Tickets can be purchased by filling out the
ticket order form
found in today's Monthly Envelope and submitting it with your check to the School Office.
are located on the SJSC website. All proceeds from this raffle go directly to the tuition assistance fund of St. Serra and will also help support urban schools within the Diocese of Orange.
Pre-event Travel Raffle Incentive
Each ticket sold by the dates listed below, enters the St. Serra Family who sold it into a raffle for a $50 gift card. Winners will be announced in the SerraDIPITY the following day.
- Turn in your order by the close of business on January 16 for a chance to win a $50 gift card to Regal Cinemas.
- Turn in your order by the close of business on January 23 for a chance to win a $50 gift card to Nordstrom
Please visit our Volunteer Page and Sign up Genius for available volunteer opportunities still available. All SERVERS will get double hours both on Saturday the 26th for training and the day of the event. TEAR DOWN volunteers will also be offered double hours on Sunday Afternoon.
Food for Friends- Cereal Drive
TOMORROW, Friday, January 11, 2019
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me."
We all know that breakfast is one of the most important meals for children, so we are holding our second "Cereal Collection" tomorrow, Friday, January 11 in support of San Francisco Solano Parish. Thank you to our Scouts for again helping with the collection. Thank you also for using a grocery bag from home.
drives strengthen our community by giving us an opportunity to live the Gospel teachings of Jesus, "Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me."
I love this
Blessing thought for January. Each of these are ways we can make 2019 the most JOYFUL year in our lives.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 4
Mrs. Alison Daley, Principal Grades 5 - 8
Renaissance STAR Testing
The testing window for January is:
HELPFUL TEST-TAKING NOTES
- Make sure your child has eaten well on test days. Studies suggest that good nutrition is related to improved attention and concentration.
- Help your child by encouraging a good night's rest
- Ensure that your child makes it to school on time so that they do not miss any instructions and are allowed ample time to settle in and relax before the test begins
- Please do not schedule dental or doctor appointments on testing days.
- Although it is important to let students know the tests should be taken seriously, it is also important not to increase any test-taking anxiety
Lost and Found
We are asking for your help in reminding your children that if they have "lost" or are "missing" any of their items to check the Lost and Found carts in the hallway near Extended Care and the Student Store.
It is important that they understand, they are not to take someone else's item(s), only those that belong to them.
It has been brought to our attention that there have been instance(s) where students are taking someone else's clothing articles and removing the monogram stitching in order for them to then use that clothing item as their own. We hope that this practice will stop immediately as it definitely goes against our moral and Christian values that we are trying to instill in our students. Your support and cooperation is appreciated.
iGen: Understanding the Children of the Smartphone Generation and Finding a Balance with Technology
We personally invite you to attend an important talk by Dr. Jean Twenge at St. Juliana Falconieri Catholic Church in Fullerton. Dr. Twenge is the author of numerous books and articles which explore the topic of working with youth who are super-connected to technology. Her book iGen will both fascinate and alarm you by the data she presents. For all of us who parent young people, it is important to understand their needs so that we can respond and support them on their life journey. We hope you will be able to attend this event or purchase and read her book.
iGen: Understanding the Smartphone Generation and Finding a Balance with Technology
Dr. Jean Twenge
Monday, January 14, 2019
St Juliana Falconieri Catholic Church
1316 North Acacia Avenue
Fullerton, CA 92831
Save the Date!
You and your family are invited to FAMILY STEAM NIGHT at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School on March 12 from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. This year the theme is Environment.
This will be a free, family fun-filled evening for all. Please plan to come. More information to follow.
2018 END OF YEAR TAX ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
Thank you to the many families who contributed to St. Serra in 2018. Tax acknowledgment and cumulative totals for any gifts managed by the Advancement Office totaling $250 or more, are included in today's monthly family envelope. Should you have any questions regarding your report, please contact Mrs. Cindy Carpino in the Advancement Office at ext. 239 or
IN-N-OUT ORDERING IS NOW OPEN!
February orders are now available until Monday, January 28 by 3:00 p.m.
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR COMING SOON!
'Dino-Mite - Stomp, Chomp, and Read!'
- The 2019 Scholastic Book Fair will be open in the St. Serra Library January 24 - February 1, 2019
- Students will have the opportunity to shop during their classroom's assigned time. Parents, guests, and Preschool families are welcome to shop during school hours and on Sunday, January 27, 2019 at St. Serra's Open House
- Be sure to check your Monthly Envelope today for the Book Fair Flyer, Class Shopping Schedule, and Payment Envelope
- Volunteers Needed! CLICK HERE to sign up for Book Fair volunteer opportunities. Room Parents will also be looking for help with the class shopping trips
- Questions? E-mail the Book Fair Event Chairs, Mrs. Ginaea Bauer, Mrs. Deeanne Ferletic and Mrs. Angie Miller at BookFair@serraschool.org or visit the BOOK FAIR webpage
SCRIP REBATE PROGRAM
Introducing new Quarterly Bonus!
Through March 31, 2019, support our
and earn 100% of the rebates towards your educational costs! Normally rebates are split 50/50 with SJSC. We will introduce a different promotion each quarter. Rebates will still be distributed monthly.
Vendor Update - Albertsons and Vons/Pavilions
are now available on a combined
card in the $25 and $100 denominations. They are reloadable if you have an account on
Ralphs Rebates for Quarter Ending November 30, 2018
are now available and due by Thursday, January 31, 2019.
for new procedures to submit your Ralphs rebates. Please note families now need to PRINT the page mentioned in the instructions. Please do not email print screens. NO EXCEPTIONS CAN BE MADE FOR LATE REPORTS.
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
YEARBOOK DEDICATION AND SHOUT OUT ADS
Don't miss your chance to commemorate your student's achievements and important milestones. Order your ad today before the FINAL DEADLINE of February 3, 2019!
to create and order your ad.
FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE
Saturday, February 9, 2019, 6:00 - 9:30 p.m.
Registration is now open for this year's Father Daughter Dance. The invitations and additional information are in today's Monthly Envelope, or
to download. Gather your friends and dads and arrive in your best Hollywood glamour to enjoy a walk on the red carpet, paparazzi photo opportunities and a great time on the dance floor. Make even more memories enjoying the tasty "Hollywood" treats, exciting Opportunity Raffle, memorable slideshow, and a special tribute to our Class of 2019 girls.
If you have any questions or are interested in volunteering for this special event, please contact Event Chairs Mrs. Stacey Herter, Mrs. Corey Lindsay, and Mrs. Megan Walters at
Participation is the key to innovative learning & ice cream!
Thank you to those families that have given so far to the 2018-2019 Annual Fund!
The creative learning opportunities our students have in the Creativity Labs with the innovative SMARTLAB curriculum is unlike anything around and it is because of YOUR support of Annual Fund.
Has your child mentioned wanting to win an ice cream party with Mrs. Trudell? The grade with the highest percentage of donations will do just that! Your family donation credits ALL student grade levels in your family. You do not have to assign your donation to a particular grade level if you have multiple students. Below are the top 3 as of today. The race to at least 75% is close. With 100% participation, we include a pizza lunch as well. Help your child's class take the lead!
Here are the top three classes to date:
1st Place: 5th grade with 33.05%
2nd Place: 4th grade with 32.11%
3rd Place: 2nd grade with 29.63%
If you haven't already, please make your donation today by visiting our
Annual Fund On-line Giving page.
Thank you in advance for your participation and support of the 2018-2019 Annual Fund.
- 11th, 18th, 25th: Parent Rosary in the Rosary Garden
- 14th, 17th, 24th, 28th: PTO Gift Gathering Drop-off Dates
- 16th: PTO Meeting - All parents welcome!
- 25th: Catholic Schools Week Mass, Parent Rosary, and PTO Parent Fellowship & Coffee Social
- 24th-31st: PTO Sponsored Scholastic Book Fair
- 27th: Open House and Season's Luncheon
- 30th: Serra Social Club Event: Common Thread Boutique Shopping Night at St. Serra Family Residence
- 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd: Parent Rosary in the Rosary Garden
- 9th: Father Daughter Dance
- 13th: PTO Meeting - All parents welcome!
- 20th: Parent Rosary, Mass, and PTO Parent Fellowship & Coffee Social
- 24th: Serra Social Club Oscars Viewing Party
- 27th: PTO Meeting - All parents welcome! (New date in place of March meeting)
of the St. Serra Website for more details!
Volunteering for the New Year
It's a new year with lots of new volunteer opportunities. Plan how you can help in 2019 by visiting our
PTO VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
PTO GIFT GATHERING MADE EASY!
- PTO Gift Gathering kicks off this week! Thank you for the amazing participation in 2018...please help us make our 2019 campaign another success in support of our upcoming Winter/Spring PTO Events: Anchor Ball, Father Daughter Dance and Mother Son Event.
- Gift Gathering Made Easy! Go to the Sign Up Genius landing page, found on the Community Fundraising web page, to view lists of amazing themed baskets to which you can donate. We're asking each grade to help create a themed basket, so be sure to sign up for one or more of the available items.
- Don't forget to review the Gift Gathering flyer sent home in today's Monthly Envelope for our convenient Gift Gathering Dates throughout the month of January.
- Every participating family who donates $50 or more by January 31, 2019, will receive a non-uniform dress pass for all their Serra Bears to be used on February 5, 2019 AND entered into a raffle to win 2 tickets to Anchor Ball - $500 value!
...Where You Will Find The True Heart Of Our School
Partners in Prayer
In His name we pray...
Look to the Lord and his strength; seek His face always. 1 Chronicles 16:11
Start this new year lifting our St. Serra community up in prayer. Please contact Anastacia Escoboza-Henry at
with a prayer request or to be added to the Partners in Prayer e-mail list.
COMMON THREAD BOUTIQUE SHOPPING EVENT
Join us for some shopping, socializing and fundraising! Common Thread, a Newport Beach ladies boutique, will host a Pop-up Shop with wine and appetizers on Wednesday, January 30, from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. at a St. Serra Family home in Coto de Caza. An
is required by 3:00 p.m. on Friday, January 25. Visit the
SERRA SOCIAL CLUB
webpage for more details
UNIFORMS & SPIRIT STORE
- Launching TODAY! NEW St. Serra Adult Spirit Wear! Pre-Order ONLINE or on the SJSC APP. Lots to choose from including zip-up hoodies, men's and women's polos, tanks, t-shirts, and more!
- All pre-orders placed by 3:00 p.m. on February 1, 2019 will be delivered the week of February 25.
- Volunteers needed! We have lots of opportunities to help with our student store. E-mail Mrs. Tirado at email@example.com if you are interested.
- Questions? Please e-mail Mrs. Catherine Tirado, SJSC Merchandise Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
Holy Trinity Youth Night
Youth Night Friday, January 18 at 7:00-8:30 p.m. in the Holy Trinity Parish Hall.
All 6th - 8th grade students are welcome for an evening of games, snacks, and fellowship. It's a great opportunity to make new friends and also have some fun!
Mater Dei High School Admissions Information
Future Monarch Information Night #2
Tuesday, January 15, 2019.
Tours - 6:00 p.m, Presentation - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 7:45 a.m.
Register TODAY at
*All incoming 9th Graders must take the Entrance Exam.