Volume 24 * Issue 17 * January 24, 2019
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK
Learn. Serve. Lead.
Friday, January 25 - Friday, February 1, 2019
Catholic Schools Week Mass
Tomorrow, Friday 25 at 9:30 in the Student Activity Center
We are so excited for the start of Catholic Schools Week with this very special annual tradition.
We are honored to have
The Most Reverend Thanh Thai Nguyen, Auxiliary Bishop of Orange celebrate his first mass at St. Junipero Serra!
Everyone is welcome.
Plan to arrive earlier and join other parents as they pray the Rosary in our chapel before Mass beginning at 8:30 a.m. For your convenience, we do have parking in the neighborhood on this Mass day, but NO PARKING in the Memorial Health Care parking lot. Please remember to be courteous and respectful of our neighbors when parking in the neighborhood.
As a reminder, this is a Formal Uniform day for all students Grades 1-8.
MISSIONARY CHILDHOOD ASSOCIATION COLLECTION AT MASS
At each of our school-wide Masses the students of St. Junipero Serra support Missionary Childhood Association by making a small donation into our collection baskets. These monies do not go unnoticed as we serve the poorest children around the world. Thank you for remembering to support this ministry as we live "A Catholic Faith Filled & Missionary Spirit" through service to the poor.
ST. JUNIPERO SERRA CATHOLIC SCHOOL OPEN HOUSE
Sunday, January 27
St. Junipero Serra campus 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
*BRING A FRIEND* - Introduce them to what St. Serra is all about!
Our families are encouraged to attend Sunday Mass at their parish. Students are to wear formal uniform to Mass to represent their parish school, St. Junipero Serra, and also to Open House.
During Open House hours guests are invited to:
- Visit classrooms and see the projects our St. Serra students have been working on
- Walk over to our beautiful St. Serra Chapel and Rosary Garden
- Stop by the new Student Creation Center and experience first-hand SJSC's commitment to STEAM education
- Visit our Scholastic Book Fair located in the Library
- Enjoy refreshments provided by our wonderful PTO
- Visit the Giving Garden in the St. Junipero Serra Courtyard to support the tuition assistance program at St. Serra and within the urban schools of the Diocese of Orange.
Parking will be available in St. Serra's main parking lot and also for this event, we have permission to park in the Memorial Health Care Center across the street.
for an updated flyer of the exciting daily events and dress code for Catholic School's Week.
Please note: on Friday, February 1, students must wear uniform bottoms with their sports jersey/shirt.
EDUCATIONAL COST ASSITANCE 2019-2020
It is a part of our mission and vision to provide a Catholic Education within the boundaries of our four parishes for all those who desire to be a part of St. Junipero Serra Catholic School. St. Serra is so grateful for the sacrifices our many families make to send their children to our Catholic School. We are also very appreciative of the significant number of benefactors who contribute to our Educational Cost Assistance program on a regular basis.
We want all current families to be able to remain at SJSC should financial issues present themselves, therefore we will once again offer educational cost assistance to those who qualify through our blind, third-party process. Please note that it is important to your application process that you remain an active parishioner at your parish.
Once again this year, we will be working with FACTS, our online administrator for managing our educational cost assistance application. Please
for more information and to access our Online Financial Aid Assistance Application.
Due to limited funds, we encourage you to submit your application and upload all of your documents early. Please note that only applications completed by the deadline will be considered.
Deadline for submission of completed applications is Sunday, March 31, 2019.
Please contact Marjorie Kollen in the Advancement Office at ext.139 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.
SERVE OTHERS DURING CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK
"Toiletry Drive" for Catholic Charities
Please help support Student Leadership in a school-wide service project for Catholic Charities of Orange County. Students are asked to bring in toiletries (i.e. toothbrush, toothpaste, travel-size bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion) on Thursday, January 31 to be dropped off in their homeroom.
Cookies and Duckies are Back!
Our Campus Ministers will be selling baked goods and rubber ducks to support the hurricane victims of the Diocese of Raleigh, NC rebuild St. Joseph Parish. Come celebrate Catholic Schools Week with some yummy treats and adorable ducks on Monday, January 28 (at lunch only) through Thursday, January 31 during recess and lunch.
St. Serra Summer School 2019
We are so excited to once again offer Summer School to our St. Serra Bears and local community. Below are a few details regarding dates and times, with m
ore information (pricing, classes offered, etc.) coming soon in future SerraDIPITY's.
Session I (13 days)
Monday, June 24 - Friday, July 12 (campus closed July 4 & 5)
Session II (13 days)
Monday, July 15 - Wednesday, July 31
This year we are introducing three Summer School Programs:
- Summer School: two sessions for current TK - 7th-grade students from 8:00- 11:30 a.m.
- Extended Care Summer Camp: from 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., with drop-in options varying in times during Summer School hours
- Pre-School Summer School (current 3-5-year-olds): from 8:00 - 11:30 a.m. Morning Preschool Extended Care from 6:30 -8:00 a.m., and afternoon Preschool Extended Care from 11:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
CALENDAR REMINDER FOR TOMORROW
As indicated on the School Calendar, tomorrow,
Friday, January 25
, is a
. Please plan accordingly. Extended Care is available as usual until 6:00 p.m.
It is our prayer that the seeds of JOY...JESUS.OTHERS.YOU, are nurtured and grow to be the happiness we all seek. We can find that happiness we search for in JOY, keeping Jesus close, Others-showing that we care through out actions and You-honoring the gift of you that God gave to this community.
Let's continue to plant the seeds of JOY and see the happiness in the little things.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 4
Mrs. Alison Daley, Principal Grades 5 - 8
iGen: Understanding the Smartphone Generation Resources for Parents
In Dr. Twenge's talk last Monday at St. Juliana's Catholic School in Fullerton on "iGen", we were given much information on the generation that has had iPhones available to them through their adolescence. Dr. Twenge has done extensive research on this generation in relation to the effects of technology. Her talk gave us great insight into the importance of face-to-face conversation and relationship building between adults and children. It is a priority of ours, as teachers of the faith in partnership with you, our parents, to provide a safe, structured place for this to occur at school and at home. We have attached two resources for you that you may find helpful.
- "iGen" Resource Page: Offers a number of additional resources that can assist in exploring this subject further.
- A Family Calendar from the TECH-WISE folks at Barna.This calendar is offered by BARNA to help families to approach technology with intentionally and to foster conversations for parents and children about managing technology in our lives.
Renaissance Star Testing Scores
Renaissance STAR score reports are posted electronically for our parents. To access your child's most recent scores, please go to
(do not use the Home Connect link)
- Click on I'm a Parent
- Enter your User Name: Your Sycamore Family ID
- Password: 1scs (This is a default. You will need to create your own.)
Type To LEARN 4 - Keyboarding
We encourage you to log on with your child and explore this wonderful resource!
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School is pleased to continue offering Type to Learn 4 as its instructional keyboarding program for
Grades 1-8. TTL4 has engaging lessons that include graphics and activities with multiple opportunities for practice, remediation and goals for success. Directions for each activity are read to the students, and they receive an accuracy and speed report at the end of each lesson.
Many students are already familiar with this program, as it was previously taught in the SJSC technology lab. This year, students in
Grades 1-4 will have the opportunity to use TTL4 in the classroom and are encouraged to practice keyboarding at home. Although students in
Grades 5-8 will not have formal classroom instruction, they are also encouraged to practice the program at home. It is recommended that students spend 10-15 minutes, 3-4 times per week on TTL4.
If your child is in Grades 1-8, be on the lookout for a parent letter in the Monthly Envelope on February 7, which outlines the program and includes your child's login credentials.
AFTER MASS SOCIAL WITH BISHOP THANH
Friday, January 25, 2019
10:30-11 a.m. in the SJSC Courtyard
"They devoted themselves to the Apostles' teachings and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer."
Please join us in welcoming Bishop Thanh to our St. Serra community after Mass at our Parent Coffee Social tomorrow, Friday, January 25. Bishop Thanh will join us for hospitality and conversations immediately following our Catholic Schools Week Mass. Coffee and light treats will be provided by the 7th-grade Room Parent Team. Come meet Bishop Thanh! We hope to see you there.
SEASONS TUITION ASSISTANCE LUNCHEON
LAST CALL! We only have 4 tickets available for the "Seasons" Luncheon. If you want to attend,
reserve your seat today
. Tickets are being sold on a first-come, first-serve basis and will NOT be SOLD at the door.
Travel Opportunity Raffle - Back By Popular Demand! Buy your tickets today!
Tickets are $80 each or you can purchase three tickets for a discounted price of $200. Tickets can be purchased by filling out this
ticket order form
and submitting it with your check to the School Office. All proceeds from this raffle go directly to the tuition assistance fund of St. Serra and help support urban schools within the Diocese of Orange.
Pre-event Travel Raffle Incentive Closed
The winner of our 2nd pre-event travel raffle incentive, a $50.00 Nordstrom gift card, is the Schuster Family!
Thank you to everyone who pre-ordered their tickets. It's not too late to get your raffle tickets though...You do not need to be present on Sunday to win, so download a form and submit it prior to 12:30 p.m. Sunday!
Volunteer Opportunities still available!
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR IS HERE!
- The annual Scholastic Book Fair begins TODAY in the St. Serra Library and runs through Friday, February 1
- All are welcome to shop during the St. Serra Open House from 10:00 a.m. to Noon this Sunday, January 27
- Sign up to VOLUNTEER! If you would like to volunteer with your student's class, please contact your room parent coordinator
- Questions? Please e-mail Book Fair Event Chairs Mrs. Ginaea Bauer, Mrs. Deeanne Ferletic, and Mrs. Angie Miller at BookFair@serraschool.org or visit the BOOK FAIR web page
SCRIP REBATE PROGRAM
To Do List
Quarterly Double Days Bonus offered
through March 31, 2019:
- Earn 100% of the rebates towards your educational costs instead of the usual 50/50 split with St. Serra
- Visit our new local vendor, Handel's Homemade Ice Cream
- Plan ahead for Valentine's Day with Hanna's, Spa Gregorie's, Tutto Fresco among others
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE
Saturday, February 9, 2019, 6:00 - 9:30 p.m.
Don't miss the opportunity for your daughter to dance and sing with Shawn Mendes live at Staples Center this summer! Make your
today for the Father Daughter Dance and be sure to buy your Opportunity Raffle tickets. Your daughter could win 2 tickets to the Shawn Mendes Tour; a fun family day at the Great Wolf Lodge with 1-night stay at the resort; Barbie's Dream House; a Hoverboard, and more! There are exciting prizes for ALL ages!
- If you purchase 24 or more raffle tickets by Friday, February 1, you will also receive a Non-Uniform Dress Pass for every student dance attendee in your family.
- You will also want to make sure your daughter and her date have their special flowers for the dance, so order your Flower Crown and fresh rose Boutonniere today. They will be waiting for them when they arrive at the dance.
- Are you interested in volunteering for this memorable event? CLICK HERE to see the many volunteer opportunities. The success of this event depends on many amazing volunteers!
- "Sweet Treat Volunteers" are needed to help with donations of baked goods. Earn service hours. CLICK HERE for details.
YEARBOOK GROUP PHOTOS - TOMORROW, FRIDAY, JANUARY 25
Altar Servers, Campus Ministry & Jr. Thespian Troupe
All students that participate in Campus Ministry, Jr. Thespian Troupe or serves as an Altar Server at one of our four parishes
that include Holy Trinity, Santiago de Compostela, San Francisco Solano and St. Kilian, will have their group photos taken for this year's yearbook on Friday, January 25.
This day will also be a Mass day so please be sure your student is dressed in their formal uniform.
7:50 a.m. - Jr. Thespian Troupe Photos - Mrs. Sifers' Classroom
8:00 a.m. - Campus Ministry (in front of the chapel)
8:05 a.m. - Altar Servers (inside the chapel)
CALLING ALL THE GREATEST VOLUNTEERS
Join The Greatest Show - Anchor Ball 2019!
- The Sign Up Genius is officially live for Anchor Ball 2019 (AKA The Greatest Show), set for Saturday, March 16. Sign up HERE to be part of this history-making event. The Greatest Show cannot happen without the help of the greatest volunteers, so thank you for helping us make SJSC history. Questions? Please contact the Anchor Ball Chairs at ABVolunteers@SerraSchool.org
- There are still show-stopping sponsorship and underwriting OPPORTUNITIES that are available to have your family name or business name in lights under the "Big Top" at Anchor Ball 2019
Thank you for helping us to make a difference at this year's Greatest Show - The SJSC 24th Annual Anchor Ball. #WEDOITFORTHEKIDS
GIFT GATHERING MADE EASY!
Doing your part to contribute to this year's
GIFT GATHERING MADE EASY
campaign couldn't be easier. Our wish is for $50 in donated items per St. Serra family to help us achieve our operating budget fundraising goals.
- Check out the GRADE-LEVEL SIGN UP GENIUS WISH LISTS
- Make a CREDIT CARD CONTRIBUTION online
- Order Scrip and note it's for Gift Gathering - the Scrip Office will deliver the donation for you!
- BONUS INCENTIVES - every family that donates $50 or more in items by 3:00 p.m. on January 31, 2019 will receive 1) Non-Uniform Dress Pass for all their Serra Bears to be used on February 5, 2019 AND 2) Will be entered in a raffle to win 2 tickets to Anchor Ball - $500 value
COMMON THREAD BOUTIQUE SHOPPING EVENT
Wednesday, January 30, 6:00-9:00 p.m. -
LAST CALL FOR RSVP's
- RSVP's for the shopping night are due tomorrow, Friday, January 25, by 3:00 p.m. Don't miss this shopping night that benefits SJSC! RSVP NOW! (There is no cost to attend this event. RSVP is required for planning purposes.)
- Unable to join us? Shop online at www.shopcommonthread.com and mention St. Junipero Serra Catholic School in the notes section. 20% of sales made January 30-31 will benefit St. Serra.
UNIFORMS & SPIRIT STORE
- NEW St. Serra Adult Spirit Wear! Pre-Order ONLINE or on the St. Serra APP. Show your St. Serra pride with one of our new t-shirts, hoodies, tanks, or polos! Check out our samples on display in the Serra Spirit Store!
- All Pre-orders submitted by 3:00 p.m. on Friday, February 1, will be delivered the week of February 25
- NEW SJSC HATS! Stop by the Spirit Store or order ONLINE! Two styles to choose from, trucker or flex-fit
- Volunteers Needed! We have lots of opportunities to help with our
Spirit Store. If you would like to volunteer or have Serra Spirit Store questions, please e-mail Mrs. Catherine Tirado, SJSC Merchandise Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
BOYSCOUTS - CALLING CURRENT BOYS IN GRADES 5-8!
SJSC's BSA Troop 818 is accepting new Boy Scouts and invites you to check them out to see if Scouting is the right fit for you! With over 85 Eagles Scouts since their charter in June 1996, Troop 818 is a Scout-led group that is full of activities, leadership opportunities, traditions, fun and much more! Prior scouting experience not required.
- Bridging Campout: February 1-3, 2019 - Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park (off Ortega Hwy) - Come for all or part of the time to learn more or get rolling if you are ready!
- Scout Sunday ~ A Scout is Reverent: February 10 - 10:15 a.m. Mass at SF Solano OR 5:30 p.m. Mass at Holy Trinity - Receive a special group blessing. RSVP to Scoutmaster Romo to receive a patch.
- New Scout & Parent Orientation: February 12 at 6:15 p.m in the SJSC SAC.
Questions or want to learn more? Email Scoutmaster George Romo at
YEARBOOK DEDICATION AND SHOUT OUT ADS
Only 11 days left to place your ad!
Don't miss your chance to commemorate your student's achievements and important milestones. Order your ad today before the FINAL DEADLINE of February 3, 2019!
to create and order your ad.
GOT BOX TOPS?
Have you turned in the box tops you clipped over break? Now is the time as our next deadline is February 8 and we know you'll want to be entered in the Opportunity Drawing. Thanks for clipping!
BOX TOPS HOMEPAGE
for more details.
CELEBRATION BOOK CLUB
The Celebration Book
Club is the library's main funding for new books. Celebrate your student's birthday, special accomplishment, First Communion, favorite holiday, or dedicate a book in honor of your child's teacher. If you would like to participate in CBC, simply fill out the form online. Students may choose their new book from the selection.
for the order form.
MESSAGE FROM THE HEALTH ROOM REGARDING ILLNESS
In the past few weeks we have noticed a rise in flu cases (especially stomach flu) and other contagious illnesses at St. Serra and in our local community. The symptoms of the flu include fever, chills, fatigue, cough, headache and muscle aches. It can take from 5-7 days to recover.
In order to stop the spread of contagious illnesses, it is vital that you do not send your child to school sick. Children taking prescribed medication must take a full round of the medication before they return to school. Our school policy states that students must be fever free (99.6 and above is considered a fever) for 24 hours and no longer contagious before returning to school. If your child has the stomach flu, they must stay home for 24 hours after the vomiting has stopped. Please make sure your child feels well enough to attend school.
Please remind your children of the following flu prevention guidelines:
- Hand washing is crucial in preventing germs from spreading. Wash hands regularly with warm water and soap. If soap and water are not accessible, use hand sanitizer.
- Children should be reminded to cover their cough/sneeze and use a tissue.
- Do not share food or drinks. Drink plenty of fluids.
- It is highly recommended that children take a daily multivitamin.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Flu shots are recommended.
If your child has been diagnosed with a contagious illness e.g. flu, strep throat, pink eye, please notify the Health Room as soon as possible. Children who have been hospitalized must have a doctor's note before they return to school.
If the Health Room calls to report that your child is sick or injured, our policy states that you must pick your child up within 45 minutes of being called. If you are unable to pick your child up within the specified time frame, you will need to contact someone on your emergency form to pick up your child.
We have this policy in place not only for the health and safety of your children, but also for the well-being of our teachers and staff. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
YARD DUTY SERVICE HOURS
If you are in need of service hours, Yard Supervision has Lunch, Snack Bar, Sapphire, TK/Kindergarten, and IN & Out shifts available. REMINDER: the last day to get your service hours in is May 31, 2019 Please contact Rosie Chavez at
or (949) 888-1990 ext. 140 to schedule your hours.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
San Francisco Solano- "Parenting in the Digital World" Speaker
Do you every worry or wonder what your children are viewing on their smartphone or tablet?
You won't want to miss, Cybersafety Cop, Clay Cranford as he empowers and equips parents to protect and monitor their child's technology, while fully understanding the inherent risks of social media and other web-based platforms. See flyer for more information.
Date: Jan. 24, 2019
Time: 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Where: San Francisco Solano Church
This is an adult only event. Childcare will be provided for ages 5+.
for a flyer with more information.
Mater Dei Admissions - Information Night TONIGHT!
Future Monarch Information Night tonight, Thursday, January 24.
Tours - 6:00 p.m., Presentation - 7:00 p.m.
Entrance Exam - this Saturday, January 26 at 7:45 a.m.
*All incoming 9th Grade students must take the Entrance Exam.
JSerra High School - Winter Open House
Experience the Lion Spirit at the JSerra 2019 Winter Open House on Tuesday, January 29 at 6:30 p.m. in the JSerra Pavilion. Students, faculty, coaches and administration will be in attendance to answer questions. Bring the whole family!