Volume 24 * Issue 18 * January 31, 2019
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
This past Sunday, we were joined by 215 guests to celebrate our 6th Annual SEASONS Luncheon which supports the Educational Cost Assistance Program here at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School and the urban schools within the Diocese of Orange.
Photos from the luncheon are now available for viewing on the Seasons web page. The creative talent of our hostesses was truly inspiring!
It was an beautiful afternoon of camaraderie and friendship while raising the much needed funds for this program.
Attending a Catholic school helps provide a safe haven, a home away from home, a community of faith and an excellent Catholic education for our students. We truly believe that all children who desire a Catholic education deserve this opportunity without life's circumstances getting in the way of that.
If you did not have the opportunity to attend the luncheon, to stop by the Giving Garden during Open House, or if you were caught up in the excitement of the afternoon and didn't have the opportunity to donate to the Educational Cost Assistance Program, please consider doing so
These children NEED
Our many thanks to Seasons Event Chair, Mrs. Elizabeth Youakim, her committee, our amazingly creative table hostesses, hardworking volunteers, alumni student helpers, and all our attendees who helped make this event so successful. Congratulations to Our Lady of Guadalupe Award winner, Mr. Dave Hanna, owner of Hanna's Restaurant & Bar, and a special thank you for his inspiring words of gratitude,We look forward to another successful event next year!
SAVE THE DATE: SUNDAY, JANUARY 26, 2020.
NATIONAL EVANGELIZATION TEAM (NET) IS COMING TO ST SERRA- HOST FAMILIES NEEDED!
Exciting News! NET Ministries will descend upon the 8th-grade class at St. Serra on
, February 14 to host their annual grade-level retreat, "Strength in Numbers".
NET is a ministry of young Catholics who love Christ and embrace the life of the Church. Every August, 175 young Catholics ages 18-28 leave behind their jobs, school, family, and friends to devote nine months to serving with the National Evangelization Teams (NET). Next month we are honored to host 12 team members.
We are currently looking for host families who will house these young adults for a two-night stay on Wednesday February 13 and Thursday February 14, for overnight housing and meals. Last year this team led our 6th-grade retreat and stayed with multiple St. Serra families and faculty. We are hopeful you will consider hosting two members of the NET team as they prepare an awesome retreat day for your children. We thank you in advance for considering this opportunity. If you wish to host, please contact Debbie McGee at ext 190 or email@example.com.
We know your children will be stronger in their faith as they witness this team proclaim the Gospel of Christ through a personal witness of faith.
FOOD FOR FRIENDS PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY DRIVE!
Friday, February 8, 2019
We would like to extend a prayer of gratitude to our community for supporting this outreach program at St. Serra in conjunction with the
banks associated with our parishes. Your monthly contributions continue to feed hungry men, women, and children in our communities.
Next Friday will be our monthly food drive to support Santiago de Compostela. We will be collecting
Peanut Butter and Jelly as these items are always needed.
Thank you to our Scouts for again helping with the collection.
Pope Francis reminds us to, "Take care of our brothers and sisters who are weaker...the elderly, the sick, the hungry, and the homeless, because we will be judged on this."
Food drives strengthen our community by giving us an opportunity to live the Gospel teachings of Jesus,
"Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40
Your student will bring home a half-page flyer next Thursday as a reminder for this event!
Please contact Louise Valdez
with any questions.
REDUCE YOUR EDUCATIONAL COSTS WITH THE SCRIP REBATE PROGRAM
No hidden costs, no fees.... Dollar for dollar buying power that actually reduces your Educational Costs while also supporting SJSC with a tax deductible donation.
If you are not participating, we want to hear from you to find out what we can do to help you earn those rebates. Below are some frequently asked questions or comments we have heard, which prevented some from participating in the past, and how we resolved them.
- "Scrip is super complicated and I can't figure out what I need to do." Scrip is actually super simple, just one additional step of buying gift cards then using them as a form of payment instead of check, cash or credit card. We offer several different ways to purchase your scrip, in person, online and by appointment.
- "How much do I need to earn for the school?" This program is really about earning rebates to reduce your educational costs. The ability to give back to the school is just a bonus! Rebates are split 50/50.
- "I have to carry around all these plastic cards, plus I never know what I'll need ahead of time." Technology has put everything at our fingertips. Parents now have access to 2 online programs offering 24 hour shopping, and virtual wallets that can be placed on phones for on-the-go purchases.
- "I would only buy grocery, gas and amazon, which have low rebates. Is it really worth the effort?" The average of those 3 categories is 3%. At $500 per week for all 3 categories, you will earn $780 per year or $390 towards your educational costs and another $390 tax deductible donation to SJSC
- "I really want to use my credit card and earn points". You can absolutely do that through scripsense.com or the SJSC credit card program. Also, keep in mind that credit card rebates are normally within 1-3%. The Rebate Program offers you hundreds of merchants ranging from 1% to 20%.
We can create a custom fit plan for everyone, just as we did for those parents mentioned above.
Don't sit on the sidelines - join the 200 participating families who have raised over $28,000 collectively so far this year toward their Educational Costs, and donated an equal amount to SJSC. Set up your online accounts and ask Grandpa, Grandma, Aunts and Uncles, friends and neighbors to do the same and help you save! Make it a family affair!
For further assistance, please contact our Rebate Program Coordinator, Tina Maroutian at
or call her at (949)888-1990 ext. 121.
SPORTS JERSEY DAY TOMORROW!
Who's ready for some exciting football this weekend?! Whether you support the Rams, the Patriots or some other sports team, don't forget to have your student dress in their favorite high school, college, or professional athletic team top with uniform bottoms.
Just pray! Please know our Chapel is always there for you to have a few moments with Christ to say THANK YOU in prayer or to ask for strength, guidance, hope in prayer.
At 4:30 p.m. today we will be opening up our beautiful Chapel to a special group of prayer warriors to pray the Rosary for one of our St. Serra Alumni, Sean O'Donoghue who has been at UCLA Medical Center for many months awaiting a heart transplant. All are welcome.
No matter what...JUST PRAY!
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 4
Mrs. Alison Daley, Principal Grades 5 - 8
Type To LEARN 4 - Keyboarding
We encourage you to log on with your child and explore this wonderful resource!
St. Junipero Serra Catholic School is pleased to continue offering Type to Learn 4 as its instructional keyboarding program for
Grades 1-8. TTL4 has engaging lessons that include graphics and activities with multiple opportunities for practice, remediation and goals for success. Directions for each activity are read to the students, and they receive an accuracy and speed report at the end of each lesson.
Many students are already familiar with this program, as it was previously taught in the SJSC technology lab. This year, students in
Grades 1-4 will have the opportunity to use TTL4 in the classroom and are encouraged to practice keyboarding at home. Although students in
Grades 5-8 will not have formal classroom instruction, they are also encouraged to practice the program at home. It is recommended that students spend 10-15 minutes, 3-4 times per week on TTL4.
If your child is in Grades 1-8, be on the lookout for a parent letter in the Monthly Envelope on February 7, which outlines the program and includes your child's login credentials.
GRANDPARENTS AND SPECIAL FRIENDS DAY
We hope your family & friends will join us this year for...
Grandparents and Special Friends Mass
Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
Grandparents and Special Friends Day
Friday, March 1, 2019
On Tuesday an invitation to Grandparents and Special Friends Day was sent home with the child who receives the Monthly Envelope.
In order to eliminate waste, only one invitation was sent home per family. If you need additional invitations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate how many extra invitations you need, your name, and the name and homeroom of your oldest child so we can send the extra invitations home in a timely fashion.
New additions to this special day!
A new schedule is listed on the front of the envelope, as well as the invitation, please note there will NOT be a prayer service in the SAC on Friday. Instead, all guests will experience SerraVision in the classroom with our students so they can pray together. We hope that all guests will join us in our new St. Serra Chapel for Mass the night before. Details are enclosed with their invitation.
Please be sure that your student's guest(s) receive their invitation as soon as possible. All RSVP's are due by Friday, February 15,2019.
Guests may also RSVP online via the St. Serra website by
Once again, we are extremely limited with parking for our guests. Keep this in mind when making your plans for this day. We strongly recommend that all guests carpool with their students. Parents can drop off and pick up guests with their students. Several staff and volunteers will be assisting guests that need help while visiting campus.
Please contact Pam Owens in the Advancement Office at ext.165 with any questions.
We look forward to seeing everyone on February 28 & March 1!
IN-N-OUT ORDERING IS NOW OPEN!
March orders are now available until Monday, February 25 by 3:00 p.m.
EDUCATIONAL COST ASSISTANCE 2019-2020 - REMINDER
It is a part of our mission and vision to help provide a Catholic Education within the boundaries of our four parishes for all those who desire to be a part of St. Junipero Serra Catholic School. We want all current families to be able to remain at SJSC should financial issues present themselves, therefore we will once again offer educational cost assistance to those who qualify through our blind, third-party process.
Due to limited funds, we encourage you to submit your application and upload all of your documents early. Please note that only applications completed by the deadline will be considered.
Deadline for submission of completed applications is Sunday, March 31, 2019.
for more information and to access our Online Financial Aid Assistance Application.
Please contact Mrs. Marjorie Kollen in the Advancement Office at ext.139 or via email at email@example.com should you have any questions.
YEARBOOK DEDICATION AND SHOUT-OUT ADS
Every Student Deserves To Be Remembered
Only three more days left to place your ad! This year we've had an tremendous response and space is limited.
Don't miss your chance to commemorate your student's achievements and important milestones. Order your ad today before the FINAL DEADLINE of February 3, 2019! Online ordering closes at midnight.
to create and order your ad.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR!
'DINO-MITE-Stomp, Chomp, And Read'
As a reminder,
make-up Book Fair shopping for students and staff is scheduled for TOMORROW, Friday, February 1, 8:00-10:00 a.m. in the St. Serra Library.
- The St. Serra PTO Board would like to thank our 2019 Scholastic Book Fair Event Chairs - Mrs. Ginaea Bauer, Mrs. Deeanne Ferletic and Mrs. Angie Miller - for their time and commitment to making our annual Scholastic Book Fair such a success!
- In addition, we want to thank PTO VP - Book Fair Mrs. Courtnay Flick for her leadership and support, and the numerous parent volunteers and staff who served at the Book Fair and/or assisted students with their class shopping trips. Special thanks to Mrs. Ella Bummer as well for sharing her insight and knowledge
- And last but not least, thank you to everyone who shopped at the 2019 Book Fair. We are truly grateful for ALL the support we received for this very special event that promotes student reading while raising funds for both our Operating Budget and the St. Serra Library
SCRIP REBATE PROGRAM
Ralphs Rebates for Quarter Ending November 30, 2018
are due TODAY, Thursday January 31, 2019 - NO EXCEPTIONS. CLICK HERE
for new procedures to submit your Ralphs rebates.
Are you ready for some football
? Scrip is your MVP for Super Bowl Weekend. Here are a few suggestions:
- Fuel up with Pizza Hut, Grubhub, Red Robin, Chili's, or Buffalo Wild Wings
- Gear up with Fanatics, Champs, Dick's Sporting Goods, or Nike
- Tech up with Target, Amazon.com, Best Buy, Overstock.com, or Walmart
- Maximize your earnings by accessing online accounts and mobile wallets. Don't have your account set up? There is still time. It is quick and easy. Contact the Rebate Office for more information.
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Mrs. Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FATHER DAUGHTER DANCE
Registration closes this Friday, February 1 at 12:30 p.m.!
- Last chance to order your Flower Crowns and/or fresh rose Boutonnieres. Mrs. Trudell enjoyed wearing hers last week with a couple of our St. Serra Bears.
- Last chance to earn your daughter's Non-Uniform Dress Pass for pre-purchasing 24 raffle tickets for $20. Your daughter won't want to miss the chance to win tickets to the Shawn Mendes Concert in LA, swag from her favorite YouTubers, the latest Hoverboard, the 2019 American Girl Doll of the Year, and many other fun prizes!
- Even if you've turned in your reservation, it's not too late to purchase your flowers, photos, or raffle tickets!
- REGISTER by Friday, February 1, at 12:30 p.m. for the $60 couple registration fee. Walk-up registrations will be accepted the night of the dance for $80 per couple
CALLING ALL THE GREATEST VOLUNTEERS
Join The Greatest Show - Anchor Ball 2019!
Your Top 3 Greatest Show (Anchor Ball) Updates
- Seats are selling fast, so don't wait to finalize your table before you purchase your TICKETS for The Greatest Show. #MakingHistoryHere
- Calling All The Greatest Volunteers, we need you the evening of The Greatest Show. Please help make it all possible - SIGN UP today
- Own a business or know a business that would love to see their name in lights? Share the link and/or SIGN UP for Greatest Show Sponsorship Opportunities today
Thank you for helping us to make a difference at this year's Greatest Show - The SJSC 24th Annual Anchor Ball. #WEDOITFORTHEKIDS
GIFT GATHERING MADE EASY!
Your Contributions are Still Needed
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to our winter and spring event Gift Gathering Campaign. If you would like to still contribute, we are still welcoming donations. Visit our
GIFT GATHERING MADE EASY
web page for donation ideas or to make a Scrip or Credit Card Contribution.
We're counting on all our Serra Bear families to do their part to help make our PTO fundraising events "over the top" amazing. Our wish is for $50 in donated items per St. Serra family to help us achieve our operating budget fundraising goals.
All families who have donated $50 or more by 3:00 p.m. today, January 31, will receive a Non-Uniform Dress Pass for all their Serra Bears to be used on Tuesday, February 5. Visit the
PARENTS ONLY SECTION
(Click on PTO News & Information) of the St. Serra Website for a list of qualifying families.
NOMINATIONS OPEN FOR ST. JUNIPERO SERRA AWARD
Help us recognize a "stand out" volunteer! All SJSC parents, faculty and staff are invited to submit nominations for parent volunteers to be considered for the
ST. JUNIPERO SERRA OUTSTANDING SERVICE AND CHRISTIAN LEADERSHIP AWARD
This award is nominated and voted on by our community to recognize parents who have demonstrated outstanding service and Christian leadership throughout their time here at St. Serra.
Please take a moment to nominate someone you feel is deserving of this recognition. Nominations are open until March 29, 2019.
BOYSCOUTS - CALLING CURRENT BOYS IN GRADES 5-8!
SJSC's BSA Troop 818 is accepting new Boy Scouts and invites you to check them out to see if Scouting is the right fit for you! With over 85 Eagles Scouts since their charter in June 1996, Troop 818 is a Scout-led group that is full of activities, leadership opportunities, traditions, fun and much more! Prior scouting experience not required.
- Bridging Campout: February 1-3, 2019 - Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park (off Ortega Hwy) - Come for all or part of the time to learn more or get rolling if you are ready!
- Scout Sunday ~ A Scout is Reverent: February 10 - 10:15 a.m. Mass at SF Solano OR 5:30 p.m. Mass at Holy Trinity - Receive a special group blessing. RSVP to Scoutmaster Romo to receive a patch.
- New Scout & Parent Orientation: February 12 at 6:15 p.m in the SJSC SAC.
Questions or want to learn more? Email Scoutmaster Mr. George Romo at
ST. SERRA SUMMER SCHOOL 2019
We are so excited to once again offer Summer School to our St. Serra Bears and local community. Below are a few details regarding dates and times, with m
ore information (pricing, classes offered, etc.) coming soon in future SerraDIPITY's.
Session I (13 days)
Monday, June 24 - Friday, July 12 (campus closed July 4 & 5)
Session II (13 days)
Monday, July 15 - Wednesday, July 31
This year we are introducing three Summer School Programs:
- Summer School: two sessions for current TK - 7th-grade students from 8:00- 11:30 a.m.
- Extended Care Summer Camp: from 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., with drop-in options varying in times during Summer School hours
- Pre-School Summer School (current 3-5-year-olds): from 8:00 - 11:30 a.m. Morning Preschool Extended Care from 6:30 -8:00 a.m., and afternoon Preschool Extended Care from 11:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
St. Kilian Altar Servers Needed
Would you like to be an Altar Server? St. Kilian Church is seeking Altar Servers to serve at all Masses. Altar Servers must have received their First Holy Communion and be willing and available to serve at Sunday Liturgies. If interested, please contact Monica Yepes at email@example.com
Catholic Night at the Honda Center
Friday, March 22 at 7:00 p.m.
Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks
This year join our Catholic Trinitiy League schools as they compete in an on-ice skills competition immediately following the Ducks game. Your ticket will include access to this exhibition as well as the Ducks vs. Sharks game.
Tickets must be purchased
. The first 1000 tickets purchased will include a limited edition Anaheim Ducks Catholic Night hat.