Volume 24 * Issue 23 * March 7, 2019
Stronger together... we lift each other up. We are
And let us consider how to lift up one another, to love and good works
- Hebrews 10:24
A MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT TRUDELL
ASH WEDNESDAY MASS
Yesterday, we began our 40-day Lenten journey together with our Ash Wednesday Mass with Father Aristotle presiding. Thank you to the talented Serra Singers Choir lead by Ms. Armenta, whose beautiful voices added to the reverence and solemnity, and to the Prayer Partners in 3rd and 5th Grade, who did a beautiful job of working together to respectfully host our Mass. I was so sorry not to be able to be with there yesterday as I am at a school in Seattle chairing their accreditation. Please view my video message below regarding our Lenten Theme.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR ACADEMIC DECATHLON!
We are so proud of the commitment, diligence, and hard work demonstrated by our 2018-2019 SJSC Academic Junior High Decathlon team! A total of 15 schools from the Diocese of Orange participated in this year's Decathlon held at Santa Margarita Catholic High School last Saturday.
The team finished 4th place overall and 4th in the super quiz. Congratulations to Audrey S. for finishing 3rd in individual fine arts and Olivia W. for placing 2nd in English grammar/spelling.
Thank you to Mrs. Carrie Fiore and all of the staff and parent coaches for going above and beyond by dedicating their time and talent to these incredible student decathletes.
NATIONAL EVANGELIZATION TEAM (NET) IS COMING AGAIN TO ST SERRA - HOST FAMILIES NEEDED!
We are excited to welcome back NET Ministries to St. Serra this month as they host the 6th-grade's annual grade-level retreat, "Heroic 40" on
, March 27.
NET is a ministry of young Catholics who love Christ and embrace the life of the Church. Every August, 175 young Catholics ages 18-28 leave behind their jobs, school, family, and friends to devote nine months to serving with the National Evangelization Teams (NET). Next month we are honored to host 12 team members.
We are currently looking for host families who will house these young adults for a two-night stay (Wednesday 3/27 & Thursday 3/28, overnight housing and meals). Last year this team led our 6th-grade retreat and stayed with multiple St. Serra families and faculty. We are hopeful you will consider hosting two members of the NET team as they prepare an awesome retreat day for your children. We thank you in advance for considering this opportunity. If you wish to host, please contact Debbie McGee at ext 190 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We know your children will be stronger in their faith as they witness this team proclaim the Gospel of Christ through a personal witness of faith.
4th ANNUAL FAMILY STEAM NIGHT 2019
Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Student Activity Center
Thanks to the generosity of Creative Learning Systems, we are excited to present our 4th Annual Steam Night next Tuesday, March 12! I would personally like to thank Mrs. Reiss, Mrs. Daley, Mrs. Ziemer, Ms. Thomas, and all of our teachers and students who worked so hard over the past several months planning our Family STEAM Night event. All of the STEAM activity stations were created by St. Junipero Serra teachers and students.
This year's STEAM Night theme is "Environment." There will be many fun and engaging environment-related STEAM activities.
Just a few examples of the STEAM activity stations this year: erupting volcanoes, tornado in a bottle, wind turbine, quicksand, and more!
We are looking forward to an exciting night where our St. Junipero Serra Catholic community can engage in hands-on activities and experience how the STEAM disciplines apply to different aspects of the Environment.
As a reminder, we are offering pizza and water for all who attend.
for more information on our website and to view photos from last year's STEAM Night.
I hope to see all of our families at STEAM Night on Tuesday.
TUITION ASSISTANCE LUNCHEON
A Blessing in Many Ways!
Ensuring the opportunity that students who desire a Catholic Education either here at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School or within the Diocese of Orange, remains part of our vision and mission. Please join us in celebrating the success of our Sixth Annual Seasons Tuition Assistance Luncheon, held a few short weeks ago.
Collectively the generous contributions of those who supported the luncheon by either attending, volunteering, visiting the Giving Garden, or purchasing one of the St. Serra Treats, exceeded $70,000 in net proceeds.
These funds will help to alleviate some of the financial burdens in the lives of children in need in our community.
Our sincere gratitude goes to event chair, Mrs. Elizabeth Yanni, for leading her fabulous committee members, and to our talented table hostesses. Their creativity was inspiring, and attention to details - very impressive.
Formal acknowledgements and receipts for all donors and attendees will be mailed in the coming week. We are humbly grateful to all who played a role in this year's event, from our set-up volunteers and servers to our alumni and guests. We eagerly look forward to our event next year to be held on Sunday, January 26, 2020, during our 25th Anniversary year. Watch future SerraDipity articles for information on how you can join us or host a table!
ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL GRANDPARENTS & SPECIAL FRIENDS DAY
What a beautiful two
days we had welcoming grandparents and special friends to St. Serra for Mass on Thursday night and GPSF Day on Friday
I pray that those grandparents and special friends that attended truly enjoyed their time here visiting our campus
. Thursday evening they enjoyed Mass and a fabulous reception catered by Piccolino Ristorante. Friday morning began early and everyone got their steps in while touring the entire campus. Some of their adventures included
listening to our choirs in the SAC and spending time with their students
in the classrooms where they had the chance to do some fun activities. Some even went on a campus scavenger hunt! Of course, the highlight for many was
visiting the Chapel
to pray or take pictures in front of the altar,
and seeing the amazing things the students are learning in the Student Creation & Leadership Center. With so much to do and see, I am sure they were all very tired by the end of the day!
My most sincere gratitude goes out to all who participated and volunteered, especially those students who enriched our
in music, song, and prayer and who served as guides around campus for our guests.
All individual family portrait photos that were taken at the two photo stations will be sent home in next month's Monthly Envelope on April
REMINDER: FOOD FOR FRIENDS- "CONDIMENT DRIVE"
TOMORROW - FRIDAY MARCH 8
we will collect "Condiments" to support Santiago de Compostela parish.
During Lent we focus on our deep faith, a faith that lives quietly in our heart. We bring JOY (Jesus to Others through You) because of the deep faith we have in our hearts knowing that God always is with us, showing us his love by sending his son Jesus, to teach us, care for us and then give his life for us so that we can live. Our JOY each day during Lent can show others Jesus' great love for us and the promises of God.
God is Good All the Time...
All the Time God is Good.
Mrs. Angeline Trudell
Mrs. Carol Reiss, Principal Preschool - Grade 4
Mrs. Alison Daley, Principal Grades 5 - 8
FIELD TRIP CHAPERONE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Only parents who have been cleared by St. Junipero Serra Catholic School according to Diocesan guidelines and respond in a timely manner to the request from the room parent will be able to be chaperones on field trips.
- Chaperones are limited due to space on the buses and field trip venues. Per Diocesan policy, parents may not drive personal cars and join the field trip.
- At Back to School Night each school year, teachers will give general information about the field trips planned for the year. This will not include specific dates if they are not available at that time.That evening, the room parents will give parents who have been cleared the opportunity to sign up to be considered to chaperone on the field trips.
- Chaperone selection process: The room parents will remind parents who have been cleared for chaperoning, to submit their names to be considered to be a chaperone in the Sunday email reminder sent to parents on the Sunday three weeks prior to the field trip dates. The room parent will give all names submitted to the homeroom teachers by the Friday of that week. If there are too many names submitted for the number of chaperones needed on the trip, the names of the chaperones will be randomly chosen by drawing in front of the class and will be announced to the students. The students will not be told whose names were in the drawing since some parents may not be able to volunteer for the field trips and we don't want them to feel badly if their parents can't volunteer. If there are more parents who volunteer than are needed, parents will only be chosen for one field trip and their names will not be placed in additional drawings for the remaining field trips. The teachers will give the room parents the list of names chosen for each trip. The room parents will contact the parents and let them know that they have been chosen to be a chaperone on the field trips. The teacher and room parent will create a list of alternate parents who will be ready and are cleared in the event that a chosen chaperone must cancel.
REMINDER: Trimester 2 Ends March 15, 2019.
SLA's will be posted March 21.
March 16, 2019
You Can Still Make A Difference - Anchor Ball 2019
Although ticket sales have closed for The Greatest Show you still have opportunities to make a difference even if you're not attending.
Student Grab Bags for your Serra Bears. Grab Bags are $25 each and include a Non-uniform Dress Pass for Tuesday, March 19, a free scoop at Handel's Ice Cream, and so much more! Grab Bags not redeemed the night of Anchor Ball, and for those not attending,
Grab Bags will be delivered to homerooms on the Monday.
to The Angel Fund to support our St. Serra Teachers attending the event. Every $250 donation to the Angel Fund supports the attendance of our St. Serra Teachers.
At the end of next week, we will open up the Silent Auction to
all of our St. Serra families to participate pre-event as well as the evening of the event. Families can bid on Silent Auction items all from their smart phone. All proceeds from the silent auction go directly to our school.
today to volunteer at the event. Greatest Shows don't happen without The Greatest Volunteers.
Enjoy a meal at The Parkway American Grill on Friday, March 8. A portion of all sales will benefit Anchor Ball fundraising efforts.
CLICK FOR FLYER
SCRIP REBATE PROGRAM
You can place your daily orders online through shopwithscrip.com from the convenience of your home or via your mobile wallet. We will return it to you on the next school day. Set up your account and reduce your Educational Costs!
The Rebate Office is looking for long term volunteers. If you like a steady schedule, and working with great people in a fun environment, please contact the Rebate Office.
For questions on any of the above, or to place a Scrip Order, contact Mrs. Tina Maroutian, Rebate Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
MOTHER SON PIRATES DINNER ADVENTURE
Sunday, April 7, 2019 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Ahoy Mateys! Registration is now open for the exciting, new Mother Son Event at Pirates Dinner Adventure in Buena Park (7600 Beach Boulevard). The invitations and additional information are in today's Monthly Envelope or you can it DOWNLOAD HERE. Dress in your favorite pirate accessories, grab your friends, and get ready for a funny, adventurous, and interactive show for all our St. Serra Moms and sons.
- Enjoy a feast fit for a Pirate King or Queen
- Upon arrival, all boys will receive a souvenir Pirate Flag Pack to help get ye in the spirit
- Reservations and fees are due to the SJSC School Office by Friday, March 29, 3:00 p.m.; NO walk-up reservations for this event, so don't miss out!
- Pre-purchase your Opportunity Raffle Tickets by March 29 and earn your son(s) a Non-Uniform Dress Pass when you buy 24 tickets for $20. You can also win some super cool prizes; raffle tickets will also be sold at the event
- Pre-purchase your Souvenir Photos taken and printed on-site by their professional photographers at $12; receive 4 printed copies (1-6x8, 1-4x6, 2-3x4) of same photo
- Pre-purchase a pirate face painting pass at $10
- See the event timeline in more detail on the MOTHER SON EVENT webpage
If you have any questions or are interested in volunteering for this event, please contact Event Chairs Mrs. Diana Gabriel and Mrs. Monique Martinho at
HEARTRUN - "HAPPY HEARTS ARE WORTH THE EFFORT"
It's time to kick off our Annual HeartRun! PTO would like to welcome back our returning Chairs, Mrs. Gina Christiansen and Mrs. Michele Polana for another fun-filled day supporting a wonderful cause!
- Be part of the school-wide "Red Out" by wearing the *NEW* American Heart Association (AHA) T-Shirt!
- Raise or donate $15 per student and receive a Non-Uniform Dress Pass, "Echo the Ninja Unicorn" keychain AND the latest AHA Red T-Shirt
- The *NEW* AHA T-Shirt can be worn by students at the HeartRun on Friday, April 5, and on PE days with uniform bottoms until the end of the school year, excluding formal uniform days
- Visit the HEARTRUN webpage for more details and donate today
MESSAGE FROM THE HEALTH ROOM REGARDING ILLNESS
In the past few weeks we have noticed a rise in flu cases and other contagious illnesses at St. Serra and in our local community. The symptoms of the flu include fever, chills, fatigue, cough, headache and muscle aches. It can take from 5-7 days to recover.
In order to stop the spread of contagious illnesses, it is vital that you
do not send your child to school sick. Children taking prescribed medication must take a full round of the medication before they return to school. Our school policy states that students must be fever free (99.6 and above is considered a fever) for 24 hours and no longer contagious before returning to school. If your child has the stomach flu, they must stay home for 24 hours after the vomiting has stopped. Please make sure your child feels well enough to attend school.
Please remind your children of the following flu prevention guidelines:
- Hand washing is crucial in preventing germs from spreading. Wash hands regularly with warm water and soap. If soap and water are not accessible, use hand sanitizer
- Children should be reminded to cover their cough/sneeze and use a tissue
- Do not share food or drinks. Drink plenty of fluids
- It is highly recommended that children take a daily multivitamin
- Get plenty of sleep
- Flu shots are recommended
If your child has been diagnosed with a contagious illness e.g. flu, strep throat, pink eye, please notify the Health Room as soon as possible. Children who have been hospitalized must have a doctor's note before they return to school.
If the Health Room calls to report that your child is sick or injured, our policy states that you
must pick your child up within 45 minutes of being called. If you are unable to pick your child up within the specified time frame, you will need to contact someone on your emergency form to pick up your child.
We have this policy in place not only for the health and safety of your children, but also for the well-being of our teachers and staff. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
UNIFORMS & SPIRIT STORE
- NEW Serra Spirit Packs! Now offering 6 new spirit packs combining all of your favorites from the Serra Spirit Store. Each spirit pack is custom wrapped with a bow and makes a great gift! Shop ONLINE or on the App.
- SerraStrong shirts available - Does your student need a new Serra Strong shirt? We have inventory of various colors and sizes available ONLINE, on the APP, or stop by our storefront Monday-Friday, 7:30-8:30 a.m.
- Volunteers needed! We have lots of opportunities to help with our Student Store. E-mail Mrs. Tirado if you are interested.
- Questions? Please e-mail Mrs. Catherine Tirado, SJSC Merchandise Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have many PTO-sponsored events coming up over the next couple of months that we hope you will be a part of, especially during this time of Lent. Join us for faith, fellowship, and fun!
for a special Lenten Message from PTO President Mrs. Shannon O'Connor.
Are you ready to say "Yes" to Parent Leadership at St. Serra?
We are beginning the PTO planning process for the 2019-2020 school year and look forward to partnering with our many creative and talented parents.
Please e-mail PTO President-elect Mrs. Allie Bertocchini at
if you are interested.
- 8th The Parkway American Grill Fundraiser
- 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th: Parent Rosary in the Chapel
- 16th: The Greatest Show - Anchor Ball (SAC)
- 2nd: Moment in Time for Moms Book Study (Chapel)
- 4th: Parent Rosary, Mass, and PTO Parent Fellowship & Coffee Social
- 5th: HeartRun
5th, 12th: Parent Rosary in the Chapel
- 7th: Mother Son Event Pirates Adventure
- 9th: Moment in Time for Moms Book Study (Chapel)
- 10th: PTO Meeting (Parent Hub) - All Parents Welcome!
- 11th: Parent Lenten Retreat
13th: SerraServes Outreach Event
13th: Serra Social Club (Couples Cornhole Tourney)
16th: Moment in Time for Moms Book Study (Chapel)
30th: Moment in Time for Moms Book Study (Chapel)
A MOMENT IN TIME FOR MOMS BOOK STUDY
New Location - The Narthex of Our Chapel
New session will begin on Tuesday, April 2!
Join us as we explore our new book - "Witness, Learning to Tell the Stories of Grace That Illumine Our Lives" by Theology Professor/Director of Notre Dame Vision and Mater Dei graduate, Leonard Delorenzo.
All are welcome! We will meet from 9:30-11:30 a.m. on the following Tuesdays: April 2, 9, 16, and 30 (4 meetings this session). We were given special permission to hold our meetings in the Narthex of our new Chapel. Don't miss out on this special event! Registration fee is $25 (book will be provided).
or through our St. Serra App (Parents> PTO Events> Moment in Time)!
EDUCATIONAL COST ASSISTANCE 2019-2020 - REMINDER
for more information and to access our Online Financial Aid Assistance Application.
Deadline for submission of completed applications is Sunday, March 31, 2019.
It is part of our mission and vision to help provide a Catholic Education within the boundaries of our four parishes for all those who desire to be a part of St. Junipero Serra Catholic School. We want all current families to be able to remain at SJSC should financial issues present themselves. Educational Cost Applications are processed through FACTS and reviewed through our blind, third-party process.
Due to limited funds, we encourage you to submit your application and upload all of your documents early. Please note that only applications completed by the deadline will be considered.
Please contact Mrs. Marjorie Kollen in the Advancement Office at ext.139 or via email at
should you have any questions.
IMPORTANT CALENDAR DATES FOR THE UPCOMING SCHOOL YEAR 2019-2020
Due to planning purposes, we had to adjust a couple of dates.
Please note there have been changes to the previously announced dates published in the February 14th edition of SerraDIPITY. One of the "No School" dates
Monday, March 16 is NOW a regular school day and is NO longer a "No School" day.
Instead, we are extending the Easter Break by one day and returning on Tuesday, April 21, NOT Monday, April 20.
In the new calendar dates (listed on the click here attachment) we've now included the Preschool orientation, start and end dates, the end dates for TK and Kindergarten, and the graduation dates for Kinder and Eighth Grade.
CLICK HERE for very important calendar changes/additions to the 2019-2020 school year.
COMMUNITY PROGRAMS OF INTEREST
San Francisco Solano Fish Fry
This year San Francisco Solano is hosting a Fish Fry every Friday-- just down the street! From March 8 - April 12, 2019 join us in the Parish Hall for a delicious fish fry meal from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Dinner is
$10 (adult) $6 (ages 12 and under).
After dinner, we will join together to pray and meditate on the Stations of the Cross, hosted by one of our very own ministries each week. This is a great opportunity to invite your friends and family to have a meal and pray with one another. Everyone is
San Francisco Solano Altar Server Training
Altar Server Training for new servers, or those who are ready to advance to the next level at San Francisco Solano, will be held on
Monday, March 11 from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. (dismissal might be earlier, depending on the number of kids and their questions). Meet in the church at 5:15 p.m. to complete paperwork. Altar Servers should be at least 10-years-old and have received their first Holy Communion.
Please RSVP to Karin Hendrick at
or call 949-636-8446.
St. Kilian Catholic Church Fish Fry
Fish Fry is coming! S
t. Kilian will host their weekly Lenten Fish Fry dinner every Friday beginning March 8 - April 12, 2019 from 4:30 - 7:00 p.m.
This Fish Fry would not be successful without the help of volunteers. If your family would like to volunteer, please CLICK HERE for Volunteer Registration.
Mater Dei High School Admissions
FINAL opportunity to take the Entrance Exam Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 4:00 p.m. Register TODAY at
*All 9th-grade applicants must take the Entrance Exam.
Catholic Night at the Honda Center
Friday, March 22 at 7:00 p.m.
Anaheim Ducks vs San Jose Sharks
This year join our Catholic Trinitiy League schools as they compete in an on-ice skills competition immediately following the Ducks game. Your ticket will include access to this exhibition as well as the Ducks vs. Sharks game.
Tickets must be purchased
. The first 1000 tickets purchased will include a limited edition Anaheim Ducks Catholic Night hat.