Haddam Historical Society
Thankful Arnold House Museum
March 9, 2020
News and Updates
Haddam Shad Museum
2021 Season
The Haddam Shad Museum will be open on Sundays from 10 am to 3 pm from April 4, 2021 to June 13, 2021. The Shad Museum, founded by Dr. Joseph Zaientz of Haddam Neck, focuses on the importance of the Shad fishing industry to Haddam and the lower Connecticut River Valley. Housed in the former Bill Maynard Shad Shack, the museum features many important and unique artifacts related to this once important local industry and is the only museum in the country solely devoted to shad fishing.

Shad Museum directors, who are knowledgeable with both commercial and sport shad fishing will be available to answer questions. For safety reasons, appointments are required by calling 860-345-2400. Social distancing and masks are also required.

The museum is located at 212 Saybrook Road, Higganum, CT behind the gas station. Free admission. For additional information or to set up an appointment visit www.haddamshadmuseum.com or www.haddamhistory.org. The contact phone number is 860-345-2400.
Haddam Historical Society announces 2021 Scholarship Applications now available

The Haddam Historical Society is pleased to announce it is again offering a $500 scholarship to a resident of Haddam, Higganum, or Haddam Neck and senior student at Haddam-Killingworth High School. The application and instructions forms are available through the Haddam-Killingworth High School Guidance Office.

Scholarship chairman, Susann Costa, notes that the 2021 award will be the 9th consecutive year the Haddam Historical Society has bestowed an award and is delighted to be able to help support the continued education of a deserving student and advocate for the importance of history both locally and globally.
Our Friends at Brainerd Memorial Library are hosting a fundraising auction from March 19 to 28, 2021. Please visit and bid on some of the wonderful items they have available. Click here for auction.
On the Road with the Haddam Historical Society
The Cyrus and David Hubbard House
Elizabeth Malloy

The Cyrus and David Hubbard House at 91 Little City Road is one of Haddam’s best examples of Greek Revival/Italianate style domestic architecture and has been called the “grandest” house in the Ponsett District.

Cyrus Hubbard built the house and adjoining barn for his parents David and Julia Hubbard in 1849. David was a successful farmer and the Hubbard Family was one of the area’s earliest and most prominent families. Hubbard’s three maiden sisters, Miriam, Rhoda and Hadassah also resided with the family in the new house. The “old maids” are fondly remembered in the Reverend William C. Knowles “By Gone Days in Ponsett-Haddam” published in 1914. He recalls that the maiden aunts were always on hand to help out in sickness or any other misfortune which included bandaging wounds to sewing buttons. The “aunties” were always there with stories to entertain or advice to manage. He called them “a noble army of martyrs”.

Cyrus Hubbard, who financed the construction of the house, made his fortune as a liquor and segar (cigar) importer in New York City. He and his wife, Rhoda split their time between the city and Haddam. Extremely successful as a liquor importer, Hubbard can claim a patent for “Holland Gin” which he received in 1875 and was called “Swallow Schiedam”. The gin capital of the world is Schiedam, Holland. The Italianate style was the fashionable architectural style of the mid-19th century and Hubbard constructed it to show off his success.
After his father's death in 1872, Cyrus and his wife lived in the house until his passing in 1900. His funeral was news worthy as it was officiated by both a Catholic Priest and Episcopal Clergyman which was considered very “rare” for the day.

In early 20th century the property was owned by Czechoslovakian immigrants who operated a chicken farm and in 1967 the house was purchased by the Board of Education to house administrative offices. It later became home to Youth and Family Services of Haddam-Killingworth, Inc. and HK Recreation Department.

Architecturally the house is cubed in form and features a hip roof with significant overhanging eaves supported by decorative brackets, a tell-tale sign of the Italianate style. The front entrance portico is highly embellished with carved columns supporting an entablature with brackets. The interior exhibits original ornate marble fireplace surrounds, moldings and doors. The impressive barn to the east has board and batten siding and similar brackets supporting the eaves. It also is Italianate in style and is one of finest barns remaining in Haddam. 

Exterior of 91 Little City Road
Close up of Barn at 91 Little City Road
Cyrus A. Hubbard builder of 91 Little City Road.
Made his fortune in gin and cigars.
Facade entry portico with Italianate embellishments.
Interior front stair case.
One of two elaborate marble fireplaces in the house.
No Connecticut Spring Antiques Show in 2021
It is with great regret that we will not be able to hold our largest fundraiser, the Connecticut Spring Antiques Show in 2021. The Antiques Show Committee did look into the possibility of doing an online show but, due to lack of dealer interest, online show fatigue and little return for the investment, decided not to go forward. We hope that we will return to the Hartford Armory in 2022 with an in-person show.

The absence of the show will have a significant financial impact of the society and although we are actively looking at other means to fundraise, all contributions and donations are greatly appreciated. Contributions can be made safely online HERE or mail to P.O. Box 97, Haddam, CT 06438