Miami Beach Senior High PTSA E-Newsletter
October 4, 2017 - Volume # 6
If you missed the previous issues of our PTSA newsletter, please click here:
If you would like to be removed from our distribution list, please scroll down and click on 'Safe Unsubscribe'.
- October 2-6, Spirit Week:
Movie Character Wednesday
Class Colors Friday:
Sophomores - red
Juniors - grey
Seniors - black
- October 4, Advocacy Platform, Miami Beach Golf Club. See article below.
- October 5, Crown and Capers performance in the Auditorium, 1 pm; 7th period classes with the highest collection of United Way donations will be invited.
- October 6, Homecoming Pep Rally, 1 pm, Gym. Meet mascot Hi Tide Harry!
- October 6, Homecoming Football Game. Flamingo Park Memorial Field, 7 pm.
- October 7, SAT test. Registered students.
- October 7, Homecoming Dance, Ronald Shane Rowing Center. 7 - 11 pm.
- October 10, PTSA Board Meeting, Media Center, 7:30-9 am. Everybody is welcome!
- October 10, International College Fair, Media Center, 9:30 am - 3 pm. Parents welcome.
- October 11, PSAT/NMSQT test, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade registered students.
- October 11, Senior Breakfast, 8 am, Rusty Pelican on Virginia Key.
- October 11, EESAC meeting, 2:30 pm.
- October 12, Internship First Quarter Grade Evaluation and Hour Log Due.
- October 12, Senior Parent Night (rescheduled from September 7).
- October 14, Join the Ecology Club for Service Day and receive community service hours, 9 am- 1 pm. See article below.
- October 17, Junior Parent Night (rescheduled from September 14), Auditorium, 6-8 pm.
- October 20, Deadline to bring in donations for Hurricane Irma.
- October 21, 2017 Miami-Dade County Council PTA/PTSA Growing with PTA Leadership Conference, 7:30 am - 4 pm. See article below.
- October 21, International Coastal Cleanup Day. Join the ecology Club at 23rd street, 9 am -12 pm, and receive community service hours. See article below.
- October 24, Committee for Quality Education meeting, 9-11am, City Hall.
- October 24 Amnesty International Immigrant Pride Day. Students can wear a shirt representing their country of origin. Amnesty International and other clubs will have booths set up during lunch celebrating immigrants as well as providing resources for immigrant students.
- October 25, PTSA General Meeting, 6 pm. See flyer below.
- October 26, End of the First Grading Period.
- October 27, Teacher Planning Day, no school.
- October 28, ACT test. Registered students.
- October 30, Beginning of the Second Grading Period.
Please note: all dates are tentative.
Miami Beach Senior High School Code is 101140 for both tests.
Please stop by the concession stand by the cafeteria today during lunch to vote for your 2017-2018 Homecoming Court.
Senior Breakfast field trip forms are due Friday.
If you paid online, please pick up your Homecoming ticket and/or Senior Breakfast field trip forms from Ms. Sakowicz.
To support students and families affected by Hurricane Irma, the College Board will offer a free November SAT registration and a CSS Profile fee waiver.
The Catholic Student Union would like to invite you to our meeting this
Wednesday, October 4
, during all 3 lunches. If interested in attending speak to Ms. Baez, Room 289. Special stamped invites will be sent to you by
, in order for you to be released from the cafeteria during lunch. The library is being used for testing, so see you by the hill!
There will be a quick Drama Club meeting
to collect the $10 dues in the Black Box.
Bible Club's will be meeting today,
Wednesday, October 4.
1st lunch Room 17; 2nd lunch Room 560; 3rd lunch Room 751. Pizza will be served.
Bible Club Open Prayer today after school at
in the breezeway behind the main office.
DECA will be having their first meeting
Wednesday, October 11 at 2:30
pm in Room 558. Anyone who is interested in joining is welcome.
Please come with your payment of $25 for your yearly membership and $10 for the DECA breakfast. Hurry! Only the first 30 students can attend the DECA breakfast. First come, first serve!
Girls Basketball tryouts are on
Thursday, October 4 & 5,
. Please meet in the girls' locker room. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Jackson.
This is a reminder that Boys Soccer tryouts will continue today at Flamingo Park at
. See you there!
The STAND Club will have their monthly meeting
in Ms. Levenson's Room 247 after school. Come to learn how we can STAND together against negative decisions, and help us plan events for next quarter.
Ever feel left out on what's up? Members of the Journalism Club never feel that way. We're always on the ball for what's going on. If you have a passion for news and writing, come join us on
Thursday, October 5
in room 289.
Part of FBLA's mission is to bring business and education together in a dynamite relationship through innovative leadership and career development programs. Come join Future Business Leaders of America, Wednesday, October 11, in Room 286 from 2:30 - 3 pm. Expect to be the change you want to see in the world.
Boys Basketball tryouts will begin
October 12 at 5:30 pm
in the Gym. If you are interested in playing, please see Coach Botto in Room 517. Must have physical completed before tryouts.
Paint with a Twist Is
Please come join us for a Fall themed fundraiser for Miami Beach Senior High.
Let's have fun painting to raise money for much needed items in school.
All current parents and future Beach High parents are welcome to join us!
Sunday, October 15, 2 - 4 pm.
Painting with a Twist,
924 71st street,
Please Join Us at Our PTSA General Meeting
Meet our new Principal Dr. Maria Rodriguez and Assistant Principals Dr. Blanca Cespedes, Dr. Isolyn Hillhouse, Mr. Daniel Ponkey, and Ms. Pamela Taylor.
Hear about their vision and goals for Beach High on
Wednesday, October 25 at 6 pm in the Auditorium.
Faculty Dessert Table @ the Open House
On behalf of all the teachers, thank you to all PTSA volunteers for contributing baked goods to the Faculty dinner on Open House night. Teachers were very happy and appreciative of our dessert tables. Thanks to our volunteers for donating homemade or store bought goodies, for setting up, and help serve, and thank you to our PTSA Hospitality Chairs Karen Edelstein and Audra Berman.
The PTSA would like to thank:
- Nacho Bizness for helping PTSA in our fundraising effort! See the photo on the right of the food truck at the Open House.
- Dr. Evan Rubenstein of Miami Beach Orthodontics for supplying coffee and donuts for all attendees at the PTSA meetings.
PTSA Board Meeting Dates
All meetings are from 7:30 to 9 am.
October 10, 2017
November 14, 2017
December 12, 2017
January 9, 2018
February 13, 2018
March 13, 2018
April 10, 2018
May 8, 2018
Next PTSA Board Meeting:
Tuesday, October 10, 7:30 - 9 am
in the Media Center.
Everybody is welcome!
Dual Enrollment: College Classes while in High School
The following Dual Enrollment classes are being offered on campus at Beach High this fall semester through FIU (for 11th and 12th graders):
- American Government
- Introduction to Literature
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Education
The following Dual Enrollment classes will be offered on campus at Beach High in the spring semester of 2018 through FIU (for 11th and 12th graders):
- American Government
- Social Problems
- Teaching Diverse Population
- Writing and Rhetoric
The following Dual Enrollment classes are offered on campus at Beach High through MDC (for 9th and 10th graders):
- Music Appreciation (fall)
- Intro to Computer/Business (spring)
There is no cost for a student to participate, as the City of Miami Beach and M-DCPS pay for the professors and required materials, including books. In order to qualify for Dual Enrollment courses, students must have a 3.0 unweighted grade point average (GPA), College Readiness Exam scores (SAT, ACT, or PERT) and meet all the college/university criteria for admission.
class options are available on campus as part of the City's Education Compact with Miami-Dade County Public Schools, Florida International University (FIU), and Miami-Dade College (MDC). Dual Enrollment classes at MBSH provide interested and eligible students with more rigorous classes,
while earning both high school and college credit and gaining exposure to a college course in the convenience of their high school campus.
Mindfulness at Beach High
Hi Tides Mindful educators started an 8-week series of Mindful Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) training as part of the Mindful Initiative at Beach High, sponsored by our School Board member Dr. Martin Karp. Twenty-five staff members are part of the initiative.
Get Instant Notifications
The District Electronic Gradebook provides automated email notifications to parents and students who subscribe for this service. Parents and students who wish to start receiving automated email subscriptions can do so via the Parent or Student Portals. Every year you need to re-register for receiving notifications. Registration instructions, demonstration videos as well as a description of all notifications can be found on the MDCPS website.
A New Smile at the Parent Resource Center
We welcome Ms. Marian Smeraldi-Lopez to our school as Parent Resources specialist. She is available every day from 7 am to 12 pm if you or your student need help with an admit, insurance, absence, bus pass, free and reduced lunch form, Parent Portal registration, volunteering info and more. Please stop by the Parent Resource Center in Room 131 in the school office (first door on your right) if you need assistance.
The Eco Club in Action
The Ecology Club will be hosting two community service opportunities in the coming weeks.
Service Day will be Saturday, October 14. We will be expanding the edible garden at school from 9 am-1 pm. Students who attend will receive 25 hours of community service.
See Ms. Silveira in room 375 to sign up.
International Coastal Cleanup Day has been rescheduled for October 21. We will clean the beach at 23rd and the Ocean from 9 am-12 pm. Students who attend will receive 20 hours of community service.
Photo above: the Ecology Club beautifying the front entrance of the school.
The Brand New Hi Tide Mural
Check out the beautiful Hi Tide mural in the Attendance Office. Thanks to our PTSA Arts and Culture Chair Deryn Cowdy and her student-artist-assistants who painted a fantastic mural of a huge beautiful wave. The mural has been
sponsored by the PTSA
ainted by students from the Art Department in Ms. Money and Mr. Virgin's classes.
In the photos above:
Francesca Tobar, Gabriella Blazzio, and Sarah Birba.
Top right: Deryn Cowdy.
Ms. Pierce's Alumni
Ms. Pierce with her 2017 Alumni Video Inductee Producers and Norman Chesky (2017 MBSH Alumni Inductee) and Bubba Cohen (2016 MBSH Alumni Inductee). The students spent the class getting to know Mr. Chesky while in town from NYC.
Photo above: Beach High Assistant Principals.
I hope we can count with you help this year as well. Below you will find a list of our needs:
- Reading: Assist teachers with individuals and/or group reading assignments in the classroom.
- Math: Provide Math homework help and/or Math FSA, SAT, or ACT preparation assistance in the classroom or in our After School Program.
- Media Center: Assist our Librarian by helping with aiding and monitoring students and with general library duties.
- Various: teacher appreciation, any event in school for all departments, chaperoning field trips, assisting students with other subjects such as languages, science, etc.
Once you are registered, please go to see Ms. Smeraldi-Lopez in the Parent Resource Center, so she can clear you.
For the time being, Ms. Uchtman (Intensive Reading teacher) needs immediate volunteers to help with her class. If you are interested to volunteer at her class, please contact her directly
Last but not least, let me know if you would like to be removed from the email list so I start the year with a fresh roster.
Please do not hesitate to contact me by email or phone (305)582-4644.
I am looking forward to hear from you.
PTSA Academic Volunteer Coordinator
The Boys and Girls Swim teams started the season where they left last year. Both teams are 2-0 after defeating Country Day and Alonso Morning on Friday. The teams are ready to defend last year's district titles. Go Hi-Tides!
Honoring Our Volley Girls
Come out and support the Girls Volleybal
team at the last home game of the season against American HS on Thursday, October 5, at 5 pm (JV) and 7:15 pm (Varsity) - admission is free. Six seniors will be honored (pictured below).
Photo below, six Seniors; from left: Natalie Shardlow, Cathy Geigel, Chloe Shardlow, Samantha Narson, Michelle Komisarchik, and Jessica Ramos.
On Wednesday, October 4, feeder pattern representatives will meet at the Miami Beach Golf Club, from 9 am-11 am. The purpose of the meeting is to bring unity and collaboration in regards to advocating for our children.
We are looking at understanding the platform for each school, seeing if there are any similarities in priorities and aligning together as one to be a more powerful voice for our children.
Open to all parents.
On Saturday, October 21, the 2017 Miami-Dade County Council PTA/PTSA will hold the Growing with PTA Leadership Conference. We invite you to participate in a variety of workshops, programs and an informative General Meeting.
Westland Hialeah Sr. High School, 4000 West 18th Avenue, Hialeah, FL 33012, 7:30 am - 4 pm. This fall PTA leadership training & vendor fair was rescheduled from September 30.
On November 17, the Alumni Association will hold the 19th Annual Hall of Fame Induction, 11:30 am - 2 pm at Temple Israel of Greater Miami, Wolfson Auditorium, 137 NE 19th St., Miami, FL 33132. See flyer below.
On Tuesday, September 27, Miami Beach Senior High hosted its annual Open House (in the photos below). See a gallery of photos of the Open House and Community Fair below.