This Sunday at SUMC
We hope you are connecting with this series as we dive deeper into how we are doing as individuals. Health is often ignored, but that is a short-sighted approach to the journey of life. God loves us, and that includes the different aspects of our health.
This Sunday, Angie Amunson will preach about mental health. Angie is a school counselor and offers a unique approach to this topic. What you will find is that the Bible you read has more to say about mental health than you might think. Angie will put it all together for you.
We hope you will make time to enjoy the cool weather for outside worship as we reflect on mental health, asking the question How Are You?
Keep Growing Your Faith
At Shueyville UMC, we believe that being a follower of Jesus is a journey. It isn’t just worship, spiritual growth, or service. It’s all of those aspects combined that help us grow closer to Jesus. Take a look at the opportunities below and try to take in each of the areas of emphasis: Deeper Roots (worship), Stronger Branches (your personal faith), Bountiful Fruit (serving God and others).
- Once again, we will be outside for worship this Sunday. Bring a chair or use one that will be provided. Grab a hymnal or song sheet and drop your offering in "The Little White Church" model we have sitting on the table.
- There may be some produce to check out or other things to enjoy. Chat with people as you feel comfortable. Or maybe you want to take a little walk back onto the land the church owns. There are acres to walk and pray in.
- 8:00 a.m. Worship, outside behind the church
- 9:30 a.m. Worship, outside behind the church
- Sunday School is offered during this service
- Facebook Live Stream will take place after 8:00 a.m. service this week. You can tune in to that service whenever you’d like. It will be available on the Facebook page.
10:30 a.m. Worship Service is CANCELLED this week. We will resume 10:30 worship when we return to services inside soon. Thank you for your flexibility.
- All services are masks optional.
Part of growing in our faith is prayer. Please take a moment to pray for these people and situations, plus what is on your heart.
- Bob Schwake, as he continues his battle cancer
- Jacob Vance
- Jennifer Blair
- Kim Smith
- Kathleen Kellley's aunt, Bea Sextion
- Caretakers and healthcare workers
- Diane Benhart, Erikka Vomek's mother, as she is battling breast cancer.
- Doug, Julie Mueller's brother as he recovers from COVID
- Family of Jo Ellen Copeland. We hosted her funeral at the church Wednesday
A prayer of thanksgiving to God for those who hosted the funeral dinner on Wednesday. They provided a service to the Copeland family that helped them through their grief. It was a blessing to that family, to the glory of God.
EXIT X and 380 Kids will have a break week this Wednesday, September 29th. We appreciate all our volunteers and like to keep them fresh with a break week from time to time.
Exit X youth group is going to provide a Trunk or Treat for special needs youth at The Arc. If you would like to help provide treats, we are looking for small, individual bags of popcorn, Chex Mix, or Trail Mix. Please drop them by the church by October 24. Thank you for supporting our youth as they seek to share the love of God.
SUMC Trunk or Treat
Our Trunk or Treat is expanding a bit this year! We are going to include a chili soup carry out supper, calling it Chili and Chocolate!
The Lord’s Acre Sale/Festival (LAS) has been a long-standing tradition at Shueyville Church. We were unable to have one last year and this year we are going to adapt it a bit. This soup supper and Trunk or Treat is one of our attempts to keep the name and giving spirit alive, and include a host of people in the celebration.
So please make plans to join us for the LAS Chili and Chocolate Supper on Wednesday, October 27. You can grab a cup of soup while you hang out outside at the Trunk or Treat, or you can preorder your chili to-go! We will describe this more each week and can answer any questions in the church office. It’s new, so hang in there with us as we do our best to create a fun and safe event.
- Mark October 16 down on your calendar as a workday. There are a lot of mobile homes that need winterization, and one of them is someone who attends our church. Mark it down and let’s serve others!
If you are looking for a more consistent way to give of your financial gifts to SUMC, please consider filling out an Electronic Funds Transfer form. We have them available at the church or can mail one to you.