Please note that what is in blue type is new to this latest version of the Digital Dove. We hope this allows those of you who "skim" to catch the most recent updates.
ASH WEDNESDAY RECAP
It’s strange how remembering “we are dust and to dust we shall return” can be so empowering. Ash Wednesday gets me every year; brings me to that humble place of repentance and then reminds me of God’s overwhelming grace.
I hope you were able to begin Lent by being here or worshipping with us online. If you missed it, the service is on our Facebook page. Lent is a season where we stress repentance and acknowledge God’s provision for us in our deepest need. Ash Wednesday
is a solemn and empowering way to start Lent.
Two questions to think about now and over the next six weeks.
- How will you purposefully connect with God during Lent?
- How has your faith impacted others; become a real, living, resurrection faith?
The second question should be something we wait to see and reflect about. By Easter, I hope we all have an answer and a story!
Lenten Small Groups
Are you ready for some interaction and fellowship? We are offering a few small groups during Lent, the six weeks between now and Easter. There are a variety of opportunities and times. Please consider being a part of a group, as it could do a lot to pull you through these cold, quarantined months.
I know most of you will read right on by this opportunity. But why? I mean, an hour once a week isn’t going to ruin your schedule. Actually, it might connect you with God and others in a meaningful way. Try it!
You will be reflecting on the previous week’s sermon topic and scripture, along with discerning where God is at work in your life. And if none of the times below work for you, why not offer to lead another group at another time?!
Here are the times beginning the week of February 21:
Sundays on Zoom at 4:00 p.m. (Rocky and Cindy Bennett are leading) Please email Cindy for a Zoom link.
- Tuesdays at the church at 9:30 a.m. (Carol Crisman is leading)
Thursdays on Zoom at 7:00 a.m. (Bill Gravatt is leading) Please email Bill for a Zoom link.
Are you engaging in all three areas of your faith; deeper roots, stronger branches, and bountiful fruit? We believe that these areas are important in strengthening our faith in Christ and being a part of building the Kingdom of God in our midst.
Worship can look a variety of ways and all are wonderful when our hearts are engaged in praising the Lord.
- 8:00 a.m. Traditional Worship In-Person
- 8:45 a.m. Worship on Facebook Live
- 9:30 a.m. Blended Worship In-Person (Sunday School included)
- 10:30 a.m. Contemporary Worship In-Person
We require masks to be worn in the church at this time. If in-person worship isn’t right for you at this time, please continue to worship online. We value your presence in the body of Christ.
- There will not be Exit X and 380 Kids next Wednesday, February 17th. This is our scheduled break week. Exit X families, be on the lookout for a possible service opportunity. Check Instagram and Facebook for that update.
Notes of Gratitude
Thank you to those who remembered with Valentine's Cards.
Part of growing in our faith is prayer. Please take a moment to pray for these people and situations, plus what is on your heart.
- Rowena Torrevillas, Lauren Seaman's mother. She was rushed to the hospital this weekend and is looking at a long recovery.
- Bobbie Travis as she recovers from a fall
- All who are dealing with COVID
- Medical professionals of all kinds
- Jacob Vance
- Debbie Sexton, Kathleen Kelley's mother who is on Hospice Care
- Kay Feldman, Brenda Swanson’s mother, is on Hospice Care
- Michael Broghammer, at Basic Training
Jennifer Blair, as she has begun her intense 7 week cancer treatment. Follow her treatment journey on CaringBridge and search for Jennifer Blair 2021
- Those with eating disorders
Scripture Text Groups! You can receive a text each morning with scripture and a reflection. Over 130 people connected to our church are doing this. Join us!
Mark June 10-13 on your calendar and join us on our Mission Staycation. We will be serving in Cedar Rapids for two days and then heading for some retreat fun nearby for a couple days. This is a wonderful chance for families to get involved together.
- We are in the process of beginning a Life Skills class to help people who want to tackle challenges in their lives. If you have a desire to help people with financial practices, job advancement, navigating the resources in our communities, healthy relationships, and more, then please let me know. We want to have this program ready to go by next fall.
- Thank you for your continued support of the ministries of Shueyville UMC. Your gifts of your time, talents, and money are all instrumental in sharing God’s love in our community. Thank you.
- How are you engaged in serving others and bearing the fruit of love in the world? We’d love to hear so please let us know!
- Thank you for previous food donations !!
SUMC will be collecting food donations thru March 27th for Easter Baskets
delivered to families. Share food with others so all may enjoy the light and
love of Christ through food this Easter. Canned goods, pasta noodles, cereals, etc.
are welcome. Monetary Donations for the purchase of fresh veggies and meat may
be sent to the office/offering plate marked Easter baskets. Baskets will be delivered
to families Sunday prior to Easter.
- Here are more pictures from our Blanket Making event, done by our Exit X youth group. They made blankets for those in need during this cold time. A special thank you to Brenda Swanson for organizing this service project.