Please note that what is in blue type is new to this latest version of the Digital Dove. We hope this allows those of you who "skim" to catch the most recent updates.
Following Jesus: God’s Direction of Peter’s Journey
There may be no pain as excruciating as remorse; wishing we would have acted differently or could relive a moment. We have to bear the results of our actions on this earth, and often people walk away from us or wash their hands of us. And we do that to others.
But Jesus remains faithful. Jesus is always willing to welcome us back in when we become disloyal. This is the sometimes uncomfortable message of grace, and it's uncomfortable because we don’t want to offer that kind of love to others. Jesus is faithful, and we should be more like Jesus.
In a world that doesn’t give second chances, our Lord offers grace. Yes, when we are disloyal, Jesus remains faithful. Nothing you can do is powerful enough to make Jesus walk away because you can’t change God.
We’ve been studying the life of Peter and what his interactions with Jesus can tell us about our Lord. This Sunday we will read the heavy story of Peter’s denial. It’s a tough one, but we will discover that it doesn’t stop Christ’s faithfulness. See you Sunday as we learn more together.
Church Council Highlights
The Council met in May with the following as main topics of discussion:
- The Worship Team shared goals for this year: They are hoping to meet quarterly, with the purpose of designing worship services around the sermon series, including selecting music for each service.
- Plans continue to be refined for the Stay-Cation Mission trip, June 10-13.
- Pastor Brody is working on developing a Life Skills program, which includes how to enhance relationships, set boundaries, and navigate the health care system. He is working in cooperation with people from St. Paul’s and Sharon Methodist churches in Cedar Rapids, and with Matthew 25.
- The parsonage septic system is complete. Seeding has been done with more work on the yard anticipated in the Fall. Other improvements to the church include 2 new water softeners and bids are being taken for replacing some windows in the Family Life Center.
The Youth will be holding a cinnamon roll sale on May 30th, with proceeds going to the mission trip to Colorado Springs in July.
- 32 kids are registered for Vacation Bible School, with most being PreK-K. All main volunteer positions are filled except for a sound person for the week and someone to take pictures at the Imagination Station.
- Vacation Bible School is 6:00-7:30 June 14-17th w/ Father's Day being the VBS Wrap Up during the 9:30 Service (probably in the FLC like it used to be.)
- The Council conducted a brainstorming activity to start visioning for future land and building use.
Remember, if you have any questions or comments for the Council or would like to see the minutes from previous meetings, please contact the church or any Council member.
Hotels for Mission Trip:
The youth are getting excited for their mission trip to Colorado Springs! One of the last things we have to do is get our hotels booked. If you have any knowledge of ways we can discover any discounts for service groups, please contact the church office and let us know.
Keep Growing Your Faith
At Shueyville UMC, we believe that being a follower of Jesus is a journey. It isn’t just worship, spiritual growth, or service. It’s all of those aspects combined that help us grow closer to Jesus. Take a look at the opportunities below and try to take in each of the areas of emphasis: Deeper Roots (worship), Stronger Branches (your personal faith), Bountiful Fruit (serving God and others).
Worship can look a variety of ways and all are wonderful when our hearts are engaged in praising the Lord.
- 8:00 a.m. Traditional Worship In-Person
- 8:45 a.m. Worship on Facebook Live
- 9:30 a.m. Blended Worship In-Person (Sunday School included)
- 10:30 a.m. Contemporary Worship In-Person
Mask Update: All services are mask optional.
Part of growing in our faith is prayer. Please take a moment to pray for these people and situations, plus what is on your heart.
- Bob Schwake, as he continues his battle cancer
- Jacob Vance
- Rowena Torrevillas
Scripture Text Groups! You can receive a text each morning with scripture and a reflection. Over 130 people connected to our church are doing this. Join us!
Do you have a heart for caring for others? Is the Spirit nudging you to increase your crop of “Bountiful Fruit”? A Care Team is being organized to offer visits to those in care centers, in the hospital, or home-bound. This group would meet once a month for about 15 minutes to share information about those in our church family/community that could use a visit, with a short orientation at each meeting to go over protocol for visiting care centers, hospitals or homes. At the same meeting, we would then see who would be available to make a visit. If this is something you might consider, our first meeting will be on Tuesday, June 15 from 9:30- 9:45 a.m. in the church library.
Please get your kiddos signed up for Vacation Bible School as soon as possible. It starts this Monday, June 14th. You can find the link on our website.
Thank you for your continued support of the ministries of Shueyville UMC. Your gifts of your time, talents, and money are all instrumental in sharing God’s love in our community. Thank you.
How are you engaged in serving others and bearing the fruit of love in the world? We’d love to hear so please let us know!