Please note that what is in blue type is new to this latest version of the Digital Dove. We hope this allows those of you who "skim" to catch the most recent updates.
This Sunday at SUMC
We are excited to kick off our fall sermon series entitled How Are You?
This Sunday we will talk about why this question matters. If we don't value who God has made us, then we will give much less thought to our health.
But God has made you to be YOU! And that means you matter to God and this church. Let's talk more about that this Sunday.
Then we will check in on our physical, mental, spiritual, and relational health in the weeks that follow. This is a great series to invite a friend to attend with you or watch online.
- Once again, we will be outside for worship this Sunday. Bring a chair or use one that will be provided. Grab a hymnal or song sheet and drop your offering in "The Little White Church" model we have sitting on the table.
- There may be some produce to check out or other things to enjoy. Chat with people as you feel comfortable. Or maybe you want to take a little walk back onto the land the church owns. There are acres to walk and pray in.
- 8:00 a.m. Worship, outside behind the church
- 9:30 a.m. Worship, outside behind the church
- Sunday School is offered during this service
- Facebook Live Stream will take place early, before the 8:00 a.m. service, around 7:15. You can tune in to that service whenever you’d like. It will be available on the Facebook page.
- Holy Communion will be celebrated at both services.
10:30 a.m. Worship Service is CANCELLED this week. We will resume 10:30 worship when we return to services inside soon. Thank you for your flexibility.
- All services are masks optional.
New Sermon Series "How Are You?"
How Are You has become a passive greeting, but it can be a powerful and loving question. How are you mentally, physically, spiritually, and relationally?
We need to check in with one another now more than ever. There will be small group questions available if you’d like to get some friends together and start a small group for these 5 weeks. Don’t wait to ask these questions of yourself and others.
God cares and so does your church.
Part of growing in our faith is prayer. Please take a moment to pray for these people and situations, plus what is on your heart.
- Bob Schwake, as he continues his battle cancer
- Jacob Vance
- Jennifer Blair
- Caretakers and healthcare workers
- Diane Benhart, Erikka Vosmek's mother,as she is battling breast cancer
- Kristin White family and friends. Kristin's mother Carol Brown passed away, Monday, September 6th.
- Jeff Hintz' family after the death of his brother-in-law yesterday
Wednesday Evening Small Group
What are you up to Wednesday evenings? If you'd like to join a small group for this sermon series, please go to the Fireside Room, behind the sanctuary, at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays. There you can chat with others about the sermon topic and scripture from the previous Sunday and what God is up to in your life. The group will dismiss at 7:20 p.m.
EXIT X and 380 Kids are preparing for week #2 after a great first gathering! Thanks to all who helped with the meal outside. We will do it again this Wednesday, beginning at 6:00.
Prairie High School Grab and Go Pantry
Prairie High School has a pantry that is open to families and students. We have partnerships with a couple organizations for meal type items, but what we really need are Grab-and-Go items for students. Students really enjoy granola bars, fruit snacks, individual 100 calorie snacks, and noodle cups. If you are interested in donating please drop your items off in the church foyer. There is a blue tub labeled Grab-and-Go if you are wanting to donate throughout the year.
The UMW will meet this Monday, September 13th at 7:00 p.m. The program for this meeting is 'What Does UMW Stand For'.
Ely Crop Walk 2021
Sunday, October 10th, 2021, 1:00 p.m. starting at the bicycle path at Ely Park
Participating churches include First Presbyterian Church Near Ely, Saint John Lutheran Church in Ely,and Shueyville UMC. Contributions can be made to individuals walking or on the website www.crophungerwalk.org/elyia.
Scripture Text Groups! You can receive a text each morning with scripture and a reflection. Over 130 people connected to our church are doing this. Join us!
If you’d be willing to help an elderly couple in our church, please contact Pastor Brody or Brenda Swanson. Volunteers will be meeting at the church at 5:30 p.m. on September 10th, traveling the short distance to their home, and then washing windows. This couple have had many physical and family challenges in the recent weeks and months. Your service would be a blessing to them in many ways. If you need to arrive late please let us know and we will let you know where we will be.
If you are looking for a more consistent way to give of your financial gifts to SUMC, please consider filling out an Electronic Funds Transfer form. We have them available at the church or can mail one to you.