Temporary Sidewalk Seating
Permits Available

As your trusted advocate diligently working to promote, support, and encourage regulations that benefit our business community, Gina Fitzpatrick, Paso Robles Chamber CEO, is actively pressing in city council meetings for more outdoor seating opportunities.

The City has now upda ted the temporary permitting policy to include sidewalk seating permits in an effort to help local businesses survive the recent State order to close indoor dining and tasting room services. 

This quick-help guide for the new permit was prepared by the Chamber of Commerce marketing team - questions to be deferred to David Athey, City Engineer. Contact information is listed below.

3 Steps

  1. Fill out permit application
  2. Provide a site plan
  3. Submit insurance information

1. Fill Out Application
Click to Download:
2. Provide Site Plan

Please attach a photograph, drawing or depiction of proposed location and layout of outdoor dining area, including the number of tables, shade and/or barrier devices, any desired additional lighting fixtures and trash receptacles as applicable.

Tip: The key to the site plan is leaving 4’ clear down the sidewalk to allow pedestrian traffic and remain handicap accessible while maintaining a safe social distance.* This may mean that you cannot use large tables or have four people per table.* * 

*4’ is from an obstruction (light pole, tree, steep section of pavers, curb face) to the table or chairs

**Depends on business location

3. Submit Insurance Information

The Applicant/Restaurant shall maintain in full force and effect, at its sole cost and expense, Commercial General Liability insurance coverage for claims of bodily injury and property damage liability not less than $1,000,000 for each occurrence, and shall provide the City with an additional insured endorsement and primary and non-contributory endorsement naming the City of Paso Robles and its officers, agents and employees as additional insured with this application. 

Submit complete application, site plan and insurance information:

  • Via email to engineering@prcity.com

  • Contact David Athey, City Engineer to arrange drop-off of an application, (805) 237-3860

Application processing time:

Ideal processing time will be the next business day. Keep in mind that city staff will need time to check your insurance, go out to the sidewalk area and issue the permit. 


Q: Does this mean that I can serve alcohol outside?

  • Applicant/Restaurants serving alcohol in an expanded license area are responsible for obtaining approval of a COVID-19 Temporary Catering Authorization from the State of California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. 

Q: Will I have to fill out another application once the street opens for outdoor seating?

  • No, if you complete and gain the sidewalk permit now, once the street lane and/or parking area closures are passed and in place you will just need to submit a new sight plan and reconfirm your insurance.

Q: How much does this cost? When do I have to pay?

  • The permit payment of $393 is deferred until 30 days after the end of the State’s COVID-19 emergency declaration. 

Q: Can I put my speaker outside for additional ambiance?

  • No, "all forms of speaker amplification associated with the outdoor dining provided under this order shall be prohibited".

Q: Can I put my twinkle lights outside for additional ambiance?

  • Any additional lighting fixtures need to be included in the proposed site plan.

Contact David Athey, City Engineer, with any further questions regarding the temporary outdoor seating permit application by email (engineering@prcity.com) or by phone (805-237-3860).
For more information and links to helpful resources visit   www.PasoStrong.org