What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 2/5 -
Author, David Biedrzycki visits grades 3-5
Wednesday, 2/6 -
Noon Release for Parent/ Guardian Conferences/ Lunch is not served
Thursday, 2/7 -
Friday, 2/8 -
PTO meeting 9:15
Mark Your Calendar
Friday, February 15
Emily Hale - Baroque violin music visits Kindergarten
No School February Break
Monday, 2/25 - Friday, 3/1
Reading Incentive Week "Read Across America"
Wednesday, February 27
Museum of Science StarLab visits grade 1
Friday, March 1
Jessie Chris, anti-bullying advocate/author visits
Saturday March 2
Dr. Seuss Breakfast for preschool and kindergarten students
Wednesday, March 6
Noon release for Professional Development/ Lunch is not served
PTO Meeting, 9:15 in the Cafeteria
William Alberti Poetry Speaker visits grade 2
Bay Colony Educators visits grade 5
BU Irish Step (Step up Boston) performance
Wednesday, April 10
PTO Meeting, 7:00 in the Library/Guest Speaker Mr. Derek Smith from HMS
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
The PTO would like to thank South School's Administrative Assistant, Ann Thompson. Thank you Ann for always being around every time we needed your help and assistance. You have been a big part of what keeps the PTO running and we cannot thank you enough. Your presence will be missed. Happy Retirement to you!!
Newsletter Co-Editor Needed
We are looking for a co-editor for the weekly "What's the Buzz" e-newsletter. This is a great way to stay up to date with South school and PTO events and is ideal for someone who would like to volunteer from home. Training will be provided. If you have questions or would like to help out, please email
The KidsArt "FUNraiser" through Silvergraphics has begun! Choose from over 50 Quality products, including ornaments, mouse pads, and water bottles, imprinted with your child's art from Mrs. Rollins' class. These personalized keepsakes make awesome Mother's Day or Father's Day gifts.
Order forms were sent home last week. If your child did not have time to complete artwork in class, you can still participate... reach out to Danielle Deeb (
) to find out if your child was able to finish artwork at school, or ask how to submit artwork from home (original artwork will be returned).
Enter school access code: SOUTHart2019
For a March delivery, paper orders are
due by Feb. 4 and online orders are due Feb. 6
for more information.
be ready. be active. join BOKS
BOKS is a super fun, before-school physical activity program designed to help kids be ready to learn during school. It is a free program to South School students sponsored by the PTO. This program will meet for 7 weeks on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The next session will begin on Wednesday February 27, 2019 and run until April vacation.
If you would like your child to participate, please email Danielle Deeb (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday February 15, 2019. Families will be picked by lottery and informed by email.
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds. Our first visit on this past Thursday was a big success.
The dates available for sign up are on Thursdays
. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at:
There are 7 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at:
Please email Rachel Shields at
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION RACE TO EXTRA RECESS!
1. Bring in your box tops labeled with your name, teacher, and grade.
2. Put your box tops in the bins inside the front door of school.
3. We will collect, count, and graph the box tops.
4. The grade with the most box tops turned in earns an extra recess in the spring!
Contest dates: begins January 2, 2019 and runs until March 29, 2019
Each box top earns 10 cents for South Elementary! Our goal this year is to earn $1200.00.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
It was another super week at SES thanks to team work! Thank goodness Mother Nature also cooperated somewhat! A little cold is better than a mountain of snow!!! Speaking of snow, hopefully by now you have signed up for the no school text alert in case we should have a major winter storm. We should also point out that sometimes there are one or two hour delays due to weather in the winter. This just means that the start (including buses, drop off times etc...) move up one hour or two in the morning, and the rest of the day is as normal. We know this can be confusing as it doesn't happen very often. Thank you for your patience and don't hesitate to call us if you have a question. We do our best to get in to the office as early as possible (safety permitting) on those days.
Quote of the week for next week: I take time-in and time-away! (Week two of Taking Time Tool)
Thank you for pulling up to the red sign in the front driveway if you are the lead car at morning drop off. This facilities drop off which is especially important as the weather has changed and more students are being dropped off not to mention the complications that snow banks can cause. It also helps alleviate the traffic on Main St.
Thank you also for making sure there is a single line in the driveway at all times. This is especially important in case of emergencies and also passage when we have snow piles. You might need to pass the school and come back if there is no room when you arrive...We will take care of your children if they are waiting so no worries! PLEASE DO NOT PARK AND LEAVE YOUR CAR EMPTY IN THIS LINE AT DISMISSAL TIME...thank you!
NEW News for you:
- Report Cards/Progress Reports Grades K-4: These came home on this past Friday, February 1. These grade levels are on two semesters/terms and grade 5 is on a trimester/term system. They will receive their next report card on Friday, March 22. And all grades will receive their final one on the last day of school.
- The next early release day is this Wednesday February 6th. This early release day is set aside as a Parent/Teacher Conference Day. Please call the office if you would like an appointment for that day. If this is not convenient for you, and you would still like a conference, please contact your child's teacher directly to find a mutually convenient time. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! Please send in a substantial snack.
- Get Smart About Art: Plans are under way for this program...( a wonderful PTO sponsored activity) Our children get to learn about different artists and make special projects thanks to parent volunteers. We will display all of the projects on May 1st at our South School Shines Night!
- Preschool (@East) Openings for 19-20: If you are interested in the HPS preschool lottery, contact Liz Costanza, our Preschool Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- The trainings for interested parents/guardians who want to learn about our wonderful new Social/Emotional Program called Toolbox have been set for Wednesday, March 6 at 6:30 PM and Thursday, March 7 at 10 AM. They will both be at the DLT at the Hingham Middle School.
- Thank you to all who attended our Safety Forum sponsored by the Hingham Police Department this past week. It was informative and productive. Parents were extremely responsive and has some great questions/suggestions.
- Thank you in advance to those of you who have volunteered to come in for Valentine's Parties. Please be aware that due to overlap of grade level times, parking might be an issue... plan ahead and carpool/walk/park at the Lutheran Church. We will also have some staff park out back if there are no snow banks etc...Please remember that Loring Hill Rd. is only for live parking during dismissal. Thank you!
- Please Help US!!!! Please let all of your friends and neighbors know that the kindergarten registration period for 2019-2020 is coming soon (details to follow). This is also the period during which children who are in kindergarten elsewhere should be registered for first grade. We would accept registration for new students in all other grades as well. Thank you for helping us to spread the word as knowing our numbers by early May really helps planning class sections for September. Registration forms will be made available at our office and on the website on February 25, 2019. They can be printed and filled out before the visit to the office during which children need a birth certificate and proof of residence to make the registration official. Registration will extend through March and all kindergarten orientation activities will take place between May 6 and 17, 2019 (more information to come). Please be aware that there is a late registration fee applied after March 29, 2019. Thank you for getting forms back to us before then!
- As you know, Ann Thompson, our long time Administrative Assistant, is retiring. We will be honoring her long career of over 30 years in the HPS during this week, her last week. She will have her last day here on Thursday, February 8th...We are so grateful for ALL she has done for the HPS and most especially, SES! We will miss her!
- I know you will all give our new Administrative Assistant, Pam Graham, a wonderful SES welcome. Pam will be starting soon so that she can work with Ann for a while before Ann leaves. Thank you for understanding that all is new to her and that since she doesn't know all of you, she may ask for identification when a child is signed out etc...until she gets to know you.
- Outerwear Recommendations: When the weather is cold, thank you for sending your children to school dressed properly and ready to go out to recess. We go out on any day that is above 25 degrees. Please also note that children will need snow pants and waterproof boots to play on the snow when it arrives this winter. This prevents them from having to sit in class in wet clothes and socks when they come back in. It might also be a good idea to send in a set of dry clothes/socks for the lockers just in case.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click
SOUTH SHORE SPECIAL NEEDS ATHLETIC PARTNERSHIP (SNAP) WINTER PROGRAMS
is pleased to announce its Winter 2018-2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Winter programs will include: basketball, bowling, fitness & boxing, hip-hop dance, swimming, and yoga/Zumba. Registration information will be available on our website:
. Please direct any questions to
Pilgrim Skating Arena "Fun"raiser - Wednesday, February 6th from 1-2:10pm
To help Maddie McCoy and the people fighting rhabdomyosarcoma
Rub Out Rhabdo
Skates & Helmets Required
(no rentals available at
$10 per skater
$5 additional skater
$20 maximum per family
Children's Author Cheryl Barnes at Hingham Historical Society's Inaugural Family History Festival
WHEN: Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10AM
WHERE: Hingham Heritage Museum at Old Derby, 34 Main St., Downtown Hingham, 1stFloor Museum Shop
: Limited Parking and an Accessible Entrance with elevator is available in the lot behind the Museum. Additional parking is available behind the Hingham Institution for Savings.
Cheryl's reading and books signing kicks off Hingham Historical Society's inaugural Family History Festival. Cheryl's stories center around people and pets who have occupied The White House and are intended to help elementary school children get a simple understanding of how our government works. Cheryl will use stuffed animals in her story telling so younger children will also enjoy the presentation.
The author event and Family History Day is open to the public and donations are welcome. For more information visit http://hinghamhistorical.org/ , follow us on Facebook: Hingham Historical Society or Instagram @hinghamheritagemuseum or call the Society at 781-749-7721.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.