What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 1/15 -
Survival Parenting work shop hosted by HMS
*5th grade parents invited
Wednesday, 1/16 -
Thursday, 1/17 -
Friday, 1/18 -
Voyage of Odysseus: Josh Feinmanc presentation
Spirit Day "Wear your favorite sports Jersey".
Mark Your Calendar
NO school Martin Luther King Day
3:15-4:00: School Council Meeting in the Conference Room
Buzz Assembly to honor Math Olympic Medal winners
Hingham Public Schools Safety Forum at HMS Time TBA
PTO meeting 9:15 in the cafeteria
No School February Break
Dr. Seuss Breakfast
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
Attention Fitness Trainers, Coaches, Parents!
We are looking for another 1-2 volunteers to help out with the next session of our wildly popular BOKS program. This before-school fitness activity meets on Wednesday and Thursday mornings 7:30-8:40am in the gym. Not only do the kids have a blast, but the coaches do too! If you'd like to learn more about this volunteer opportunity, please email Danielle Deeb at
Hingham Public Schools Safety Forum:
SAVE THE DATE: Please mark your calendars for a very important Hingham Public Schools Safety Forum presented by the Hingham Police Department and sponsored jointly by the PTOs of the six Hingham Public Schools. The program is FOR PARENTS ONLY and will include a video and panel discussion about what happens during an ACTIVE THREAT situation from various points of view and will allow community members the opportunity to ask questions. Evening of Wednesday Jan. 30 at the Hingham Middle School Auditorium. More details coming soon!
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds.
The dates available are on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at:
There are 8 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at:
Please email Rachel Shields at
Parenting Teens Workshop: open to 5th grade parents
The HMS PTO is hosting an informative presentation for parents about raising teens and pre-teens on Tuesday January 15th, 2019 from 7-9pm at the HMS. They would like to extend the invitation to all 5th grade parents.
A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens, January 15 from 7-9pm at HMS
Come join us on Tuesday, January 15 for a parenting workshop and gain invaluable information from Joani Geltman, MSW, who has a unique brand of "infotainment," using humor, storytelling, and will send parents home with a "goody bag" of helpful techniques in understanding and navigating adolescence. Ms. Geltman is an author and a child development and parenting expert and has over 30 years of experience working with parents, children, schools, and community groups. As an expert in teen-parent relationships, she has developed a unique and effective approach to help parents understand the specific physical, cognitive and emotional/social issues that arise in adolescence. The many changes that occur during adolescence can often be a challenge for parents. Understanding these developmental changes are the key to successfully navigating this stage and maintaining a close, loving relationship between a teen and their parents.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
I hope you all had a fabulous week last week and am happy to report that everyone is settling in very nicely to 2019! After another five day week this week, and then we are lucky to have a nice three day weekend to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King next Monday.
Quote of the week: Let the little things go! (Garbage can Tool, week 1)
NEW News for you:
Please join SES's very own Cub Scout Pack 4 on January 23rd from 6:30-7:30 at the Hingham Public Library (Whiton Room). Come learn about the fun, friendship, and adventures awaiting your family in Cub Scouts! We will have games and refreshments available for the kids and a presentation for the parents. Event opened to all interested students K-5. Siblings welcomed! Please email Meghan Horrigan (
) with any questions.
- Please Help US!!!! Please let all of your friends and neighbors know that the kindergarten registration period for 2019-2020 is coming soon (details to follow). This is also the period during which children who are in kindergarten elsewhere should be registered for first grade. We would accept registration for new students in all other grades as well. Thank you for helping us to spread the word as knowing our numbers by early May really helps planning class sections for September. Registration forms will be made available at our office and on the website soon. They can be printed and filled out before the visit to the office during which children need a birth certificate and proof of residence to make the registration official.
- As you know, Ann Thompson, our long time Administrative Assistant, is retiring in early February. We will be honoring her long career in the HPS for the next month and especially the week of February 4th, her last week. We are so grateful for ALL she has done for the HPS and most especially, SES! We will miss her!
- I know you will all give our new Administrative Assistant, Pam Graham, a wonderful SES welcome. Pam will be starting soon so that she can work with Ann for a while before Ann leaves.
- The PTO Spirit Committee is inviting students to wear their favorite sports jersey to school on Friday, January 18th!
- Fifth grade parents are invited to a special program put on by the HMS PTO: A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens - Tuesday, January 15 from 7-9pm at HMS
- All parents are invited to a Safety Fourum sponsored by the Hingham Police Department and the PTOs of all six schools. It will be held on Wednesday, January 30th at 7 PM at Hingham Middle School.
- The next early release day is Wednesday February 6th . This early release day is set aside as a Parent/Teacher Conference Day. Please call the office if you would like an appointment for that day. If this is not convenient for you and you would still like a conference, please contact your child's teacher directly to find a mutually convenient time. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! Please send in a substantial snack.
- Outerwear Recommendations: When the weather is cold, thank you for sending your children to school dressed properly and ready to go out to recess. We go out on any day that is above 25 degrees. Please also note that children will need snow pants and waterproof boots to play on the snow when it arrives this winter. This prevents them from having to sit in class in wet clothes and socks when they come back in. It might also be a good idea to send in a set of dry clothes/socks for the lockers just in case.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click
SOUTH SHORE SPECIAL NEEDS ATHLETIC PARTNERSHIP (SNAP) WINTER PROGRAMS
is pleased to announce its Winter 2018-2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Winter programs will include: basketball, bowling, fitness & boxing, hip-hop dance, swimming, and yoga/Zumba. Registration information will be available on our website:
. Please direct any questions to
Hingham Special Education Update
Dr. Suzanne Vinnes, HPS Director of Student Services, recently sent out a "Dear Special Education Community" outlining the ongoing work of the special education department. To learn more (
Please join Pack 4 on January 23rd to learn about the fun, friendship, and adventures awaiting your family in Cub Scouts! We will have games and refreshments available for the kids and a presentation for the parents about the Cub Scout program. Event opened to all interested students K-5. Siblings welcomed! Please email
with any questions.
January 23rd, Hingham Public Library (Whiton Room), 6:30-7:30pm
for information about Holly Hill Farm.