What's the Buzz?
NO school Martin Luther King Day
Tuesday, 1/22 -
Wednesday, 1/23 -
3:15-4:00 School Council Meeting in the Conference Room
Thursday, 1/24 -
Friday, 1/25 -
Buzz Assembly to honor Math Olympic Medal winners
Mark Your Calendar
Hingham Public Schools Safety Forum at HMS Time 7pm
Noon Release for Parent/ Guardian Conferences/ Lunch is not served
PTO meeting 9:15 in the cafeteria
No School February Break
Dr. Seuss Breakfast for preschool and kindergarten students
Noon release for Professional Development/ Lunch is not served
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
HPS School Safety & Security Forum
Hingham's Security Program Committee, in coordination with Hingham's all town PTOs, is h
olding a Security Forum to be held on January 30, 2019 at Hingham Middle School at 6:00 PM. All are welcome to attend. The pre-agenda will include a film, "The Coming Storm", which is voluntary and for age appropriate audiences only and will be shown at 6:00 PM. At 7:00 PM the Security Program Committee panel will convene and provide a brief presentation followed by Q&A session.
The Hingham Security Program Committee is comprised of emergency personnel (Police and Fire), School personnel including Building and Central Office Administration, School Maintenance, School Transportation, Teachers, and others. The committee will report out on its work to date and advise the community of parental roles relative to emergency preparedness on a daily basis and in the event of an emergency.
The KidsArt "Funraiser" through Silvergraphics has begun! Choose from over 50 quality products, including ornaments, mousepads, and water bottles, imprinted with your child's art from Mrs. Rollin's class. These personalized keepsakes make awesome Mother's Day or Father's Day gifts. Watch for order forms in backpacks coming home later this week. Orders will be due by Feb. 4th for a March delivery. A percentage of your purchase gets donated back to the PTO to support its many great programs! Please contact Danielle Deeb (email@example.com
) with any questions.
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds.
The dates available are on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at:
There are 8 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at:
Please email Rachel Shields at
Attention Fitness Trainers, Coaches, Parents!
We are looking for another 1-2 volunteers to help out with the next session of our wildly popular BOKS program. This before-school fitness activity meets on Wednesday and Thursday mornings 7:30-8:40am in the gym. Not only do the kids have a blast, but the coaches do too! If you'd like to learn more about this volunteer opportunity, please email Danielle Deeb at
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
Thank you for another fantastic week last week!!! We hope you are enjoying this wonderful three day weekend with Monday off in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King. Hopefully you are staying warm and away from the stormy weather. Thank you for all you do on the home front to make our jobs easier during the week!!!
Quote of the week: Let the little things go! (Garbage can Tool, week 2)
News for you...Just a reminder that new and still relevant items are bold italics. Old news items will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, but left on for reference:
- A huge thank you goes out to the Cultural Enrichment Committee and all of you as PTO Members for the sponsorship of the wonderful show we had on Friday 1/18 which highlighted Greek Mythology. It was called the Voyage of Odysseus and was VERY interactive for the children. We look forward to many other cultural enrichment programs from now until June.
- Please join SES's very own Cub Scout Pack 4 on January 23rd from 6:30-7:30 at the Hingham Public Library (Whiton Room). Come learn about the fun, friendship, and adventures awaiting your family in Cub Scouts! We will have games and refreshments available for the kids and a presentation for the parents. Event opened to all interested students K-5. Siblings welcomed! Please email Meghan Horrigan (firstname.lastname@example.org ) with any questions.
- As you know, Ann Thompson, our long time Administrative Assistant, is retiring in early February. We will be honoring her long career in the HPS for the next month and especially the week of February 4th, her last week. We are so grateful for ALL she has done for the HPS and most especially, SES! We will miss her!
- I know you will all give our new Administrative Assistant, Pam Graham, a wonderful SES welcome. Pam will be starting soon so that she can work with Ann for a while before Ann leaves. Thank you for understanding that all is new to her and that since she doesn't know all of you, she may ask for identification when a child is signed out etc...until she gets to know you.
- Please Help US!!!! Please let all of your friends and neighbors know that the kindergarten registration period for 2019-2020 is coming soon (details to follow). This is also the period during which children who are in kindergarten elsewhere should be registered for first grade. We would accept registration for new students in all other grades as well. Thank you for helping us to spread the word as knowing our numbers by early May really helps planning class sections for September. Registration forms will be made available at our office and on the website on February 25, 2019. They can be printed and filled out before the visit to the office during which children need a birth certificate and proof of residence to make the registration official. Registration will extend through March and all kindergarten orientation activities will take place between May 6 and 17, 2019 (more information to come). Please be aware that there is a late registration fee applied after March 29, 2019. Thank you for getting forms back to us before then!
- Thousand Book Club: Please feel free to sign up your future kindergartener for this club in our library...also let friends who may have incoming kindergarten students know about this opportunity and all preschool and kindergarten students are welcome at the Dr. Seuss Breakfast on Saturday, March 3 @ 9:30-10:30.
- Fifth grade parents are invited to a special program put on by the HMS PTO: A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens - Tuesday, January 15 from 7-9pm at HMS
- All parents are invited to a Safety Forum sponsored by the Hingham Police Department and the PTOs of all six schools. It will be held on Wednesday, January 30th at 7 PM at Hingham Middle School.
- The next early release day is Wednesday February 6th . This early release day is set aside as a Parent/Teacher Conference Day. Please call the office if you would like an appointment for that day. If this is not convenient for you and you would still like a conference, please contact your child's teacher directly to find a mutually convenient time. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! Please send in a substantial snack.
- Outerwear Recommendations: When the weather is cold, thank you for sending your children to school dressed properly and ready to go out to recess. We go out on any day that is above 25 degrees. Please also note that children will need snow pants and waterproof boots to play on the snow when it arrives this winter. This prevents them from having to sit in class in wet clothes and socks when they come back in. It might also be a good idea to send in a set of dry clothes/socks for the lockers just in case.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click
SOUTH SHORE SPECIAL NEEDS ATHLETIC PARTNERSHIP (SNAP) WINTER PROGRAMS
is pleased to announce its Winter 2018-2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Winter programs will include: basketball, bowling, fitness & boxing, hip-hop dance, swimming, and yoga/Zumba. Registration information will be available on our website:
. Please direct any questions to
Hingham Special Education Update
Dr. Suzanne Vinnes, HPS Director of Student Services, recently sent out a "Dear Special Education Community" outlining the ongoing work of the special education department. To learn more (
Please join Pack 4 on January 23rd to learn about the fun, friendship, and adventures awaiting your family in Cub Scouts! We will have games and refreshments available for the kids and a presentation for the parents about the Cub Scout program. Event opened to all interested students K-5. Siblings welcomed! Please email
with any questions.
January 23rd, Hingham Public Library (Whiton Room), 6:30-7:30pm
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
Voyage of Odysseus
Thank you our PTO Cultural Enrichment chairs Alison Chamberlain and Holly Enders. The students enjoyed the
Voyage of Odysseus presented by Josh Feinman.
To Parents/Guardians regarding nut free classrooms:
Just a friendly reminder that if your child is in a nut free classroom, please be sure to check all ingredient labels on your child's snack foods (especially protein, granola and other bars) to be sure they do not contain nuts or are made on machinery that processes nuts. We want to keep all our students safe and healthy.
Thank you for your help!