What's the Buzz?
Monday, 10/7 -
Tuesday, 10/9 -
Wednesday, 10/10 -
Thursday, 10/11 -
Friday, 10/12 -
Mark Your Calendar
SES Harvest Party @ 5:30pm
PTO Meeting at 9:15 in the cafeteria
Noon Dismissal - No lunch is served
SES Social (all adults invited)
Veterans Day - NO SCHOOL
South School Feast
South School 5K Fun Run 9:00 am
Noon Dismissal for Thanksgiving Break- No lunch is served
No School Thanksgiving Break
Noon Dismissal for Parent/Guardian Conferences - No lunch served
Support South Campaign
THANK YOU, to all of the families who have already donated to our Support South Check Writing Campaign.
Happy to say we have had 52% of our families donate and we are getting closer to reaching our goal.
Keep it up South School parents! This could be our most successful fundraiser yet!
Our goal is to raise $24,000 by November 9th. 100% of your donation benefits 100% of South students! How can you donate? You can send a check in your childs backpack marked south school or click Paypal. Please take the time to read our
as this will help you better understand the scope of our efforts at South Elementary. If you have any questions, please contact
Helping out in the South School library is an easy, fun way to see your child and their classmates during the school day. If you would like to volunteer please contact Rachel Shields at
A huge thank you goes out to our new parent BOKS volunteers!! We are still looking for a couple more people to join this exciting new parent volunteer team! This program will kick off its first session on Wednesday, October 10th. Please contact
in your are interested in volunteering.
Winterfest Planning Meeting
The Winterfest Committee will meet on Friday, November 2nd at 10 am, in the South School cafeteria. Winterfest is a wonderful holiday shopping tradition for SES students. There are many volunteer opportunities for our festive event! We would love to see some new faces and little ones are welcome! If you have any questions, please email
South School 5k Fun Run
Save the date for the South School 5K Fun Run on Saturday, November 17th at 9:00am. There will be free t-shirts for early registration which will be available soon, prizes for top finishers at each grade level, and a lot more fun and activities. Please contact
with any questions.
Please collect and send in your Box Tops! There are collection boxes in the front door entryway as you walk into school and students may also give their box tops to their teachers to collect. Any / all contributions are welcome! Questions? Please contact Stephanie Gregoire at
. Some handy links to printable materials are below:
Printable Coupons for Box Top Products
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product. Shop
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community
As we enjoy the first long weekend of the school year, it is delightful to look back at the many accomplishments made by all to get this school year off to a great start. We are so grateful to the families and the staff for nurturing and encouraging our children through the transition to the new school year. What is really nice about this point in the year is that everyone is now settled in and familiar with the 'new normal." Also, many things begin to happen in and around the school to enrich all of our lives...
Thank you again for the part you played in our school being one of only 52 schools recognized by the state for high growth on MCAS! It is a great honor as it is out of 934 schools!!! At the same time, we are also thrilled that we have happy, kind children who love to learn!!!
Quote of the Week: There is always my quiet, safe place. It is there for me!
- Monday, October 29th is Picture Retake Day.
- The Hingham School Committee invites you to provide input regarding the characteristics believed to be important in the next Superintendent of Schools. All responses are anonymous and are greatly appreciated. The deadline is Monday, October 8th at 11 pm. Please let your voice be heard! Thank you for your support and participation in this questionnaire.
- When you get a chance ask your child what The Quiet, Safe Place Tool is???The quote of the week reflects the tool of the week. There are 12 total. We will be covering two a month as a school, and many classrooms have gone ahead to others. See old news for an explanation of Toolbox...
- We will be welcoming a new fourth grade teacher in early November. Her name is Mrs. Alyssa DeLuca, and she will be taking over from Mrs. Brett (Natale) for the rest of the year. We wish Mrs. Brett great joy with her new baby who will be born soon! Mrs. DeLuca has already been in to meet the students and will be here many more days before she takes over. I know that you will all give her a warm South School Welcome!!!
- Walk and Roll Day: Many students walked/biked (over 200!) to school on Wednesday, October 3! We thank all of the adults in the village who helped make this happen!!! It was an amazing number on a RAINY day!!!
- We had our first Buzz Assembly celebrating a rainbow of good behavior and kindness this past Friday. Its theme was to welcome all of our new staff and students. We thank Mrs. Cheung and the whole student body for serenading the new members of the SES Village with a special welcome song called You've Got a Friend in Me and Shalom, our welcome anthem.
- Electrical Safety: Electrical Safety Classes (Thank you Electric Company) took place last week. Each grade level learned age-appropriate electrical safety tips from Mr. Ray Gouley who is an expert on the subject. Stay tuned for other safety programs like: Bus, Halloween, Winter, and Pedestrian!
- Harvest Party: The PTO will sponsor the Harvest Party on Friday, October 26th from 5:30-7:00. This party is extremely well organized and run by the PTO volunteers. Please be aware that all children must be accompanied by an adult as this is not a "drop-off" event. Please make sure to follow all parking restrictions on Independence Lane and Loring Hill Rd. and follow safety rules when crossing Main St. on that evening as it can be quite dark and many drivers do not stop at the crosswalk when they see pedestrians even though it is a state law. It might be a great idea to bring a flashlight along!
- We are looking for substitutes of all types: teachers, nurses, paraeducators, bus drivers. If interested, contact us, and we will point you to the right person depending what you want to sub as.
- Our playground is in the process of receiving an upgrade and it will continue over the next couple of weeks.
- TRI/RTI groups have started. This stands for Targeted Reading Instruction. These are small groups that are held at the same time for all students at a particular grade level with extra adults helping out. They are in addition to other reading instruction in the classroom. Contact your child's teacher if you have any questions about this program as there are differences depending on the grade level.
- Olympics : Over 250 students participated last week setting a record for South School and congratulations to KDi who won the trophy with 81% participation!!!
- The November 7th early release day is set aside for professional development for staff. This release day has a release time at noon and lunch will not be served. Please send in a substantial snack
- See bottom of complete Office News to see Dates for Calendar
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
Rights & Responsibilities Presentation
HINGHAM SEPAC is excited to present this year's Rights & Responsibilities Presentation on Wednesday, October 11th at Hingham Town Hall from 7-9pm, located in the Central North Conf Rm - 2nd Floor. Presenters will include Nicole Merhill, Civil Rights Attorney and Pamela Coveney of the Disability Law Center.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please email us at Hinghamsepac@gmail.com. Please share and hope to see you there!
(Please note: This will be in lieu of our October Monthly Business Meeting if you have agenda items for November please email us)
South Shore SNAP (Special Needs Athletic Partnership)
is pleased to announce its Fall 2018 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Fall programs will include: crew, learn-to-skate/learn-to-play hockey, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Information will be available on our website: www.southshoresnap.com. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hingham Education Foundation (HEF) will be hosting it's 8th annual Spelling Bee Sunday, November 4th. This is a fun-filled, community event for 2nd-5th graders that helps fund grants for the Hingham Public Schools.
Online registration runs October 1st--October 7th (or until a grade reaches capacity- 30 teams max per grade). Each team or "hive" consists of three students who reside in Hingham or attend a Hingham Elementary school. $30 per student/$90 a Hive. Information will be updated on our website as registration approaches: www.hinghameducation.org .
Children's Craft Market
Stop by the Children's
Craft Market of Hingham on Sun. Oct 14 from 12:30-2 pm (during the Hingham Arts Walk) to support local children who will be selling hand made crafts and playing music. Located in Downtown Hingham on the tunnel cap by Winston Flowers, this is a wonderful community event that supports children as creators and entrepreneurs. Bring small change and come for 15 minutes or stay awhile to hear the young musicians who will be performing during the market. To sign your child up to play music and/or sell crafts please fill out the
and request to join the FB group "Children's Craft Market of Hingham". For questions contact
Hingham Girls' Hockey Learn to Play
It's not too late to sign up!
Registration is open for the 2018-19 hockey season! Learn to Play introduces young girls to skating and hockey in a fun environment. Girls learn skating techniques and puck skills following USA Hockey's ADM model. Small area games will conclude each practice. The schedule will include one skills session per week on Wednesdays and a "game day" every Sunday morning at Pilgrim Arena. The fall session begins on Wednesday, September 12th . Register on the Hingham Girls Hockey website
Some equipment is available for rental. A jersey will be provided. Questions may be addressed here.
Hingham Girls Basketball
Tryouts for Hingham Girls Basketball travel teams will be held on Sunday, Oct. 21st at Hingham High School for grades 5-8. All athletes must be Hingham residents. Anyone interested in trying out for a travel team MUST pre-register for the tryout by visiting the Hingham Sports website at https://www.hinghamsports.com/page/show/260507-gals-basketball. Walk-in registrations on the day of the tryout WILL NOT be accepted. Grade specific tryout times will be posted on the website and emailed to all registered players prior to the tryout. Tryouts for 4th grade travel will be conducted at a later date, although any interested 4th graders should register for the tryout now. For more information and to register, please visit the Hingham Sports website
New Brownie Troop for South School 2nd Graders!
Brownie Troop 67831 for second graders at South School is now forming. We have loads of fun programming and outings planned focused on kindness, friendship, outdoors, art, dance, computers/engineering, community service, crafts and more!
Meetings will take place once per month, on Fridays, starting at 3pm at SES. There are currently four spots remaining in the troop (max size is 12).
Hingham Youth Wrestling, K-8th Grade
Learn how to wrestle, build strength, flexibility and balance, and most of all have fun. No experience necessary, anyone can join. Sessions start Nov. 27th - March, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm at the HHS Wrestling Room. Please contact Damien Bogle at email@example.com to sign up or call 508-889-5201.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.