Monday, 10/28 - D
Picture Retake Day
Tuesday, 10/29 -
Thursday, 10/31 -
Friday, 11/1 -
Mark Your Calendar
Noon Dismissal - Lunch is not served
PTO meeting @ 9:15am
Veterans Day Assembly 2-2:30pm
Veterans Day No School
Plimoth Plantation Grade 1 classroom visits at SES
SES Thanksgiving Feast
South School 5k Family Fun Run @ 9am
3rd Grade Powwow @ 1pm
Noon Dismissal for Thanksgiving Break-
No lunch is served
No School Thanksgiving Break
PTO meeting in the cafeteria at 9:15am
SES Winterfest and Book Fair from
Thank you to Helen Bias and all the incredible volunteers who helped set up and staff Friday's Haunted Harvest Party!
Shop for South
Shop at the Fruit Center Nov. 4-10! Shop for South presents an excellent opportunity for you to give back to South while buying your groceries next week! Buy your delicious fruit and fresh food and go to the Fruit Center between November 4 and 10th and every purchase you make, they will donate 20% of your total purchase to South School! You must use or show the attached flyer, but you can use it any number of times.
Shop for South at the Toy Box!
The Toy Box South Elementary Holiday Shopping Fundraiser
Tuesday, November 19th from 9AM - 8PM
The Toy Box of Hanover is generously donating 20% of all purchases made by South families back to our school. Simply mention South at check out.
Complimentary Gift Wrapping on all Purchases! How to get there: The Toy Box is located on Rt. 53 in Hanover, across from Trader Joe's & the South Shore "Y". Can't make it there: Simply call: 781-826-3750 and order a gift certificate for yourself or a favorite teacher and 20% will be donated to South Or Order online at
and Use coupon code: South
The support South check writing campaign came to a close this week and the results are in. Thanks to your amazing support and generous donations, we raised over $31,000 for South School! The South student, staff and PTO board appreciate your astounding generosity. Our busy bees will be out this collecting the remaining "you've been buzzed" signs. Thank you again to all who contributed! Tax receipts for all donations are in process.
South School 5k Fun Run
The South Elementary 5K Family Fun Run on November 23 at 9:00 am. Registration has just begun. Please click
to register. Please contact
with any questions.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product. Shop Amazon Smile.
Dear South School Community,
This past week was another wonderful one at South Elementary! Mrs. Jacobs and I have the pleasure of visiting many classrooms every day and over these past weeks. It is so amazing to see the "whole" village and know that children's learning styles are being met in very creative ways!!!
A huge thank you goes out to Helen Bias and all of the volunteer parents from SES, as well as students from the high school who made the PTO Haunted Harvest Party such a success!!! You are all truly amazing!!! Thank you for all you do!!! An extra special THANK YOU to Helen Bias and the Bias Family who have done so much to make this party so great over the last 10 years as this is their last year at South!
A huge thank you also goes out to all of the parents who have volunteered to help make the other Harvest Celebrations so wonderful at this time of year!!! We will have had everything during these two weeks from a kindergarten costume parade and a barn dance in grade one to a pumpkin carving activity/science exploration in grade five!!! All of the volunteers help make these activities happen. We love having the village come together for the children and these special celebrations!
Thank you also for your very generous response to the Checking Writing Campaign! Your generosity is the catalyst behind so many worthwhile special events and projects throughout the year!!! The enthusiasm among our parent group never ceases to amaze!!! Your generosity and support are so important to all of us!!! Talk about "beeing" kinder than necessary!!!
Remember... new and still relevant items in either the principal's email and/or the Office Notes section of the weekly "What's the Buzz ?" (our PTO newsletter), will continue to be in bold font. Old news items that are still relevant will also be bulleted but will not be bolded, but left on for reference.
Quote of the Week: Listening is often the only thing needed to help someone!
- Picture Retake Day is this Monday, October 28. Children need to bring back the old package of pictures if they are retaking the picture.
- On Friday, we had our first Beehive. Children in grades 1-5 traveled to other classrooms with groups of children in many grades. They met in a multi-age small group with a school adult and read a story about kindness followed by an activity or discussion. Children remain together in the same Beehive until they eave SES.
- On Wednesday, November 6th, all families are invited to a Night Sky Observation at Hingham Middle School, hosted by the South Shore Astronomical Society. Members of the South Shore Astronomical Society will give a brief presentation in the HMS Distance Learning Theater at starting at 6 PM, followed by a telescopic viewing of the moon, planets and stars on the athletic fields. Please dress warmly for the outdoor portion of this event. Rain date is TBD. Contact HMS science teacher Tim Ciolkosz (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- The South School Holiday Concert will be on Wednesday, December 11 at 9:10-9:45 (ish)
When you get a chance ask your child what The Listening Tool is???The quote of the week reflects the tool of the week. There are 12 tools total. We will be covering two a month as a school, and many classrooms have gone ahead to others. See old news (below) for an explanation of Toolbox...
- MCAS Dates for 2020 have been added to the end of the dates' section at the bottom of this email as they have been finalized.
- Pedestrian/Halloween Safety: Officer John, our school resource officer, will present lessons on Pedestrian Safety to grades K-2 later in the month. Thank you also for your help by talking to your children about safety!
- Veteran's Day Assembly Invitation:South School holds an annual Veteran's Day ceremony to honor all Veterans especially those Veterans who have a connection to South School. The fifth grade will present a school-wide program explaining the history of Veteran's Day. Please invite any Veteran in your family or your neighborhood to be part of our ceremony. It will take place on Friday, November 8th from 2:00 o'clock to 2:30 ish. We hope that the special Veterans in your life can be a part of this annual ceremony. Please email Pam Graham or Laurie Barry at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you are bringing a guest.
- The next early release day is Wednesday, November 6, 2019. Dismissal is at noon. Lunch is not served. It is a Professional Development Day for staff. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! November 27th will also be a noon release day as it begins the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend.
- Dr. Austin enjoyed his visit to SES on this past Wednesday and he will be visiting SES on Wednesday morning, November 27th again. He is very impressed by our village!
- We are grateful to the Girl Scouts who are once again organizing a Food Pantry Drive to coincide with the SES Annual Feast. It will run from Thursday, November 14 to Thursday, November 21.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click
32nd annual HHS Sport & Ski Sale - Saturday, November 2nd, 8am - Noon @HHS Cafeteria
Join in this wonderful tradition and bring the family to the Annual HHS Sport & Ski Sale PTO Fundraiser. This is not just a HHS event as each year families from the community donate their outgrown sports gear and find replacements at tremendous bargains. You will find sporting goods for all seasons and for all ages. Please see the attached flyer for additional information.
Gobble! Gobble!... all the way to the finish line!
to register today and enjoy a discounted fee! We expect a crowd of 2,000 runners and walkers, so please join us at Hingham High School on Thanksgiving Day!
Wilder Nursery School Open House - Sunday, November 17th 10:30-12:30pm
At Wilder Nursery School, our students are a part of a very special family, that spans from generations and generations of children, parents and staff. We learn, grow, and play together in a warm and safe environment all while developing the skills and fundamentals for grade school readiness. Come learn about Wilder Memorial Nursery School's child-directed and process oriented methodology, visit the classrooms and pick-up an enrollment application for the 2020-2021 school year!
Take the HHS Crew Challenge!
A fun family event on Nov 2 between 10am and 3pm at the Hingham High Track/Field facility. K-12 and adults learn to erg (stationary rowing machines) and partake in some friendly racing competition! Also enjoy a Mass MVMNT workout and instruction, live music provided by local band "Not Today" and yummy food! Tix $20 in advance or $25 day of event. Money supports the HHS Crew Team with 10% going to the Allison Clarke Memorial Fund. Rain date is Nov 3. Purchase tickets from an HHS Crew Team member, at Mass MVMNT(211 Lincoln St) or at the event! Signed waiver necessary - please visit
for more details and waiver.
Hingham Women's Club's Festival of Trees
The Hingham Women's Club proudly presents its annual Festival of Trees which will be held during Christmas in the Square. Over 40 beautifully decorated trees and dozens of items, made up of donations by individuals, groups and businesses, will be on display to the public and available for silent auction and raffle. The money raised at this event benefits the Friends of the Homeless of the South Shore and the Hingham Women's Club Scholarship Fund. The 2019 Festival of Trees will be on Friday, December 6th from 5 pm to 8:30pm and Saturday, December 7th from 10 am to 1 pm at our NEW LOCATION, the Hingham Historical Museum (34 Main Street, Hingham. Don't miss pictures with Santa, courtesy of Irish Eyes Photography, on Saturday from 10:30am - 12:30pm! Bidding on all trees ends Saturday, December 7th at 12:45pm.
Hingham Youth Wrestling, K-8th Grade
Learn how to wrestle, build strength, flexibility and balance, and most of all have fun. No experience necessary, anyone can join. Sessions start Dec. 3rd - March, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm at the HHS Wrestling Room. Please contact Damien Bogle at
to sign up or call 508-889-5201.
for more info.
Holly Hill Farm
Cold and flu season is upon us. Please be aware that the Hingham Public Schools follow the guidelines and recommendations from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (Mass. DPH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) with regard to the seasonal flu and other communicable illnesses. We actively teach all of our students coughing and sneezing etiquette by encouraging them to cough and sneeze into their elbows or a tissue and to wash their hands frequently. We are also routinely cleaning desks, keyboards, door knobs and other things in and around the school that hands frequently touch. One of the most important things you can do, along with frequent hand-washing and covering your cough or sneeze, is to keep your child home when he or she is sick. It is also highly recommended for everyone to get the flu shot. Please contact your doctor for information about this. For more information regarding student illness and school attendance, please visit the "Health Services" section on the South School website or the health section in the school handbook. Mass. DPH has flu information available for parents at www.mass.gov/influenza. Please follow this information regarding the flu and our school policy regarding any illness when questioning whether to keep your child home and/or when your child can return to school. Thank you for your help and cooperation in keeping our students and our school healthy!
|Jen Benham, Helen Bias, & Mrs. Eastwood