What's the Buzz?
Picture Retake Day
Tuesday, 10/30 -
Wednesday, 10/31 -
Thursday, 11/01 -
Friday, 11/02 -
PTO Meeting at 9:15 in the cafeteria
Winterfest planning Mtg 10:00
Mark Your Calendar
Noon Dismissal - No lunch is served
SES Social (all adults invited)
Veterans Day - NO SCHOOL
South School Feast
South School 5K Fun Run 9:00 am
Noon Dismissal for Thanksgiving Break- No lunch is served
No School Thanksgiving Break
Noon Dismissal for Parent/Guardian Conferences - No lunch served
SES Holiday Concert @ 9:15
Thank you to Helen Bias, Donna Harkin and all the incrediable volunteers who helped set up and staff Friday's Haunted Harvest Party!
Wow! 62% of families have sent in checks to support the PTO. We truly appreciate all your support!
Our goal is 100% family participation because 100% of your donation benefits 100% of South students! Each family that contributes will be entered into a raffle to win prizes, including VIP parking for school events, and more!
How can you donate?
We've made it easy for you! The direct link to pay via paypal from our PTO website is as follows: http://bit.ly/PTODonate. You can also send in a check via your child's backpack made out to South School PTO by Nov 8, 2018. If you have any questions, please contact Jen Benham.
Winterfest Planning Meeting
The Winterfest Committee will meet on Friday, November 2nd at 10 am, in the South School cafeteria. Winterfest is a wonderful holiday shopping tradition for SES students. There are many volunteer opportunities for our festive event! We would love to see some new faces and little ones are welcome! If you have any questions, please email
South School ROCKS Social
The South School Parent Social is on Friday, 11/9, at The Hingham Heritage Museum. Live music, burritos from Boloco, great raffle prizes and the opportunity to mix and mingle with our awesome South School parents. Please buy your tickets online at
or send in your check made payable to "South School PTO".
South School 5k Fun Run
The South School 5K Fun Run is Saturday, November 17th at 9:00am.
for registration information!
There will be free t-shirts for early registration and prizes for top finishers at each grade level, and a lot more fun and activities. Please contact
with any questions.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community
This past week was another wonderful one at South Elementary! Mrs. Jacobs and I have the pleasure of visiting many classrooms every day and over these past weeks, we were able to observe students doing all kinds of activities. Just to name a few examples: many were writing letters to honor veterans and soldiers who are still deployed, some were scientifically observing sand and soil to determine properties and similarities and differences, and others were solving problems in math using long division and fractions. It is so amazing to see the "whole" village and know that children's learning styles are being met in very creative ways!!! It is also wonderful to know that they are remembering to thank others for what they have done for them.
A huge thank you goes out to Helen Bias and Dona Finn, all of the volunteer parents from SES, and students from the high school who made the PTO Harvest Party such a success!!! You are all truly amazing!!! Thank you for all you do!!!
A huge thank you goes out to all of the parents who have volunteered to help make the Harvest Celebrations so wonderful at this time of year. We will have had everything during these two weeks from a kindergarten costume parade and a barn dance in grade one to a pumpkin carving activity/science exploration in grade five!!! All of the volunteers help make these activities happen. We love having the village come together for the children and these special celebrations!
Thank you also for your very generous response to the Checking Writing Campaign which is still ongoing! Your generosity is the catalyst behind so many worthwhile special events and projects throughout the year!!! We are looking forward to the PTO Adult Social on Friday night, November 9th !!!! It is a great way to meet other SES parents and guardians. The enthusiasm among our parent group never ceases to amaze!!! Your generosity and support are so important to all of us!!! Talk about "beeing" kinder than necessary!!!
Quote of the Week: Listening is often the only thing needed to help someone!
News for you...Just a reminder that new items are bold italics.
Old news items that are still relevant will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, but left on for reference:
- Thank you for not posting pictures taken at school parties and on field trips on social media...
- This coming Monday, October 29th is Picture Retake Day.
- Just a reminder that South Shore Ballet has offered to hold six week dance sessions at Tuesday and Thursday Fly South. Check out the next Fly South Flyer for more details. The next Fly South Session will start the week of October 29th.
- Kindergarten 2019-2020- We are having an informational evening on November 8 at 6:30 at 220 Central St. for families and preschool staff who are interested in learning about the Hingham Public Schools' Kindergarten. This is open to all families who have children who will be turning five by 8/31/19. Please spread the word in your neighborhoods.
- We are so appreciative towards the Fifth Grade Leadership Team for their "Socktober" Collection for the Homeless. If you'd like to participate, please send in new sock donations.
- We mentioned the new Math Tutors last week, but neglected to print their names...so sorry...we are fortunate to have three wonderful professionals doing this job. Children in grades 3,4, and 5 may come home talking about Mrs. Driscoll, Mrs. Hagerty, and Ms. Harding.
- This week, we are continuing discussion of Tool Number Three, The Listening Tool (hence, the quote of the week). As ask your child about it and the other tools! See the Old News section for an explanation of Tool Box.
- Fourth Grade Field Trip to the Science Museum: Last Wednesday, October 24, the fourth grade enjoyed a field trip to the Science Museum Omni Theater in Boston to see Pandas The movie had a wonderful message about nature and thinking outside the box while also showing lots of great scenery in China. This compliments the fourth grade curriculum in a wonderful way! A huge thank you goes out to the grade level team and all of the parents who volunteered to chaperone!!!
- Veteran's Day Assembly Invitation:South School holds an annual Veteran's Day ceremony to honor all Veterans especially those Veterans who have a connection to South School. The fifth grade will present a school-wide program explaining the history of Veteran's Day. Please invite any Veteran in your family or your neighborhood to be part of our ceremony. It will take place on Friday, November 9th from 2:00 o'clock to 2:30. The fifth graders are busy learning a special song. We hope that the special Veterans in your life can be a part of this annual ceremony. Please email Ann Thompson (email@example.com) if you have any questions and let us know if your special veteran would like to attend. Thank you!
- We had our first Beehive on Friday, October 26th. Students in grades 1-5 traveled to meet with vertical teams of students in all grades. The theme this year is all around kindness and the new Toolbox Program. Teachers will continue to use titles from our Kindness Library that was generously donated by our PTO as well as the new Toolbox Library. We are very grateful for these donations!!!
- Report Cards: As you may know, we have been making changes to our Report Cards over the past years to reflect Standards Based Curriculum progress. This year grades K-4 will have two marking period, with grades 3 and 4 receiving a Check-In Progress Report in November and April followed by Report Cards in February and June. Grade 5 will still be on three terms (December, March and June Report Cards).
- Olympics: Over 210 students participated last week setting a record for South School and congratulations to 2Y who won the trophy again with 71% participation!!!
- The November 7th early release day is set aside for professional development for staff. This release day has a release time at noon and lunch will not be served. Please send in a substantial snack
- Special Note:
- We know that making ends meet can sometimes get difficult for some of the families in our HPS community. Therefore, we want to let you know that there are individuals in each of our schools who are ready to provide information and assistance. With that in mind, please be aware that access to government programs and other resources that are donated by a very generous Hingham community may be available to help families in times of financial or other need. Some examples of such outreach include the federal free and reduced lunch program and assistance with costs such as with athletic, bus/field trip, school picture, and tuition fees. As well, because of the generosity and caring of parents and others in our community, we are able to support families during the holiday seasons.
Please don't hesitate to contact an administrator, the school nurse, or counseling personnel
in your child's school if you need any kind of assistance. Please be assured that your request will be managed in a way that respects your rights for confidentiality.
***If you need help from MA WIC (Women, Infants, and Children Nutrition Program), the number to call is 1-800-WIC-1007 or you can go to: mass.gov/wic or
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
Annual HHS Sport & Ski Sale
You can find gently used sports equipment at bargain prices on
Saturday, November 3rd, 8am - Noon at
Hingham High School Cafeteria.
oin in this wonderful
tradition and bring the family to the Annual HHS Sport & Ski Sale PTO Fundraiser. This is not just a HHS event as each year families from the community consign or donate their outgrown sports gear and find replacements at tremendous bargains. You will find sporting goods for all seasons and for all ages.
Donations and consignments(50% to you or the HHS team of your choice, 50% to the HHS PTO) will be accepted
Thursday, Nov. 1st from 4pm-8pm
and Friday Nov. 2nd from 3pm to 8pm.
Please drop off using the HHS main lobby entrance and continue to Room 103.
All sports gear is welcome, such as rebounders, lacrosse equipment, football equipment, basketballs, soccer balls, skis, boots, ski apparel, snowboards, boogie boards, badminton, ice skates, golf clubs, cleats and baseball bats. For any questions, please contact
Annual Marathon Sport/Hingham High School Turkey Trot
The 19th Annual Marathon Sport/Hingham High School Turkey Trot 5K on 11/23/2018 at 7:30 am is dedicated to providing a fast, fun, and fulfilling Thanksgiving Day road race to benefit the Hingham High School Boys and Girls Cross-Country and Track & Field programs. Kick off your holiday weekend the right way with the biggest Thanksgiving Day race on the South Shore. Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female finishers in each age group.
- Register online now at
. Register in advance of race day and you will receive a long-sleeved Turkey Trot t-shirt. A late fee of $5 will be charged for all registrants who enter after November 20th.
Parents and athletes, we need your help to coordinate the Hingham Turkey Trot!
to organize the 19th Annual Hingham Turkey Trot volunteers. Here's how it works in 2 easy steps:
Join us at Hingham High School, Room 103 if you would like to volunteer.
Hingham Girls Basketball
Tryouts for Hingham Girls Basketball travel teams will be held on Sunday, Oct. 21st at Hingham High School for grades 5-8. All athletes must be Hingham residents. Anyone interested in trying out for a travel team MUST pre-register for the tryout by visiting the Hingham Sports website at https://www.hinghamsports.com/page/show/260507-gals-basketball. Walk-in registrations on the day of the tryout WILL NOT be accepted. Grade specific tryout times will be posted on the website and emailed to all registered players prior to the tryout. Tryouts for 4th grade travel will be conducted at a later date, although any interested 4th graders should register for the tryout now. For more information and to register, please visit the Hingham Sports website
Hingham Youth Wrestling, K-8th Grade
Learn how to wrestle, build strength, flexibility and balance, and most of all have fun. No experience necessary, anyone can join. Sessions start Nov. 27th - March, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm at the HHS Wrestling Room. Please contact Damien Bogle at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or call 508-889-5201.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
Cold and flu season is upon us... Please be aware that the Hingham Public Schools follow the guidelines and recommendations from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (Mass. DPH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) with regard to the seasonal flu and other communicable illnesses. We are actively teaching all of our students coughing and sneezing etiquette by encouraging them to cough and sneeze into their elbows or a tissue and to wash their hands frequently. We are also routinely cleaning desks, keyboards, door knobs and other things in and around the school that hands frequently touch. One of the most important things you can do, along with frequent handwashing and covering your cough or sneeze, is to keep your child home when he or she is sick. It is also highly recommended for everyone to get the flu shot. Please contact your doctor for information about this. For more information regarding student illness and school attendance, please visit the "Health Services" section on the South School website or the health section in the school handbook. Mass. DPH has flu information available for parents at
Please follow this information regarding the flu and our school policy regarding any illness when questioning whether to keep your child home and/or when your child can return to school. Thank you for your help and cooperation in keeping our students and our school healthy!