What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 11/6 -
Wednesday, 11/7 -
Noon Dismissal - No lunch is served
Thursday, 11/8 -
Friday, 11/9 -
SES Social (all adults invited)
Mark Your Calendar
Veterans Day - NO SCHOOL
South School Feast
South School 5K Fun Run 9:00 am
Noon Dismissal for Thanksgiving Break- No lunch is served
No School Thanksgiving Break
Noon Dismissal for Parent/Guardian Conferences - No lunch served
SES Holiday Concert @ 9:15
Thank You to all of the Families Who Contributed to the Support South Campaign
We will be concluding our Support South Campaign this week and I'm extremely excited to announce that with your help, we rais
If you didn't get a chance to donate
during the campaign, you can still support our school and our kids by sending in a check to "South School PTO" or here:
The South students, staff and PTO board appreciate your generosity!
The PTO board would like to thank Rebecca Baker for doing a fabulous job on the 2018-19 South School Directory! We also want to thank our 5th grade leadership members for coordinating socktober! A big thank you to everyone who
donated new socks to the friends of the homeless south shore.
South School ROCKS Social
The South School Parent Social is right around the corner on this Friday. This is a fun annual event that supports the South School PTO. Don't miss out and purchase your tickets in advance. Here is everything you need to know:
- Date: Friday, 11/9
- Time: 6:30-10:30
- Place: Hingham Heritage Museum, 34 Main Street
- Attire: Casual Chic
- Cost: $35/person in advance or $40/person at the door
- Live music, Boloco burritos, beer, wine, raffles and lots of fun.
Shop for South
Shop at the Fruit Center Nov. 5-11!
Shop for South presents an excellent opportunity for you to give back to South while buying your groceries next week! Buy your delicious fruit and fresh food and go to the Fruit Center between November 5 and 11th and every purchase you make, they will donate 20% of your total purchase to South School! You must use or show the attached flyer, but you can use it any number of times. Also, a lucky parent can win $100 fruit center gift card!
The South School 5K Fun Run is Saturday, November 17th at 9:00am. See
for registration information! There will be free t-shirts for early registration and prizes for top finishers at each grade level, and a lot more fun and activities.
with any questions.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community
Generosity is always alive and well in the SES Village!!! Over the past few weeks, this was illustrated many times!!!
Thank you for "Beeing Kinder than Necessary" as always... by participating in the Support South Check writing Campaign, by planning to attend the SES PTO Social this Friday night the 9th, by helping with harvest parties, and the Math Olympics, as well as Socktober Collection (to name a few). All of these kind donations go a long way to make SES a better place, help others, and are great experiences for the children as they develop their affective intelligence
. Thank you also for the many donations of time and/or money you all give to many events and endeavors here at SES. You all truly make us grateful for all you do as we enter the month of giving thanks!!!
Quote of the Week: I have the courage to do the right thing!
This tool will be highlighted at the Veteran's Day Assembly on the 9th.
NEW News for you:
- The November 7th early release day is set aside for professional development for staff. This release day has a release time at noon and lunch will not be served. Please send in a substantial snack.
- We are very grateful Dr. and Mrs. Schreier for presenting South School with a digital replica of an 1802 school register from a school that existed in South Hingham at that time. Mrs. Schreier also did a wonderful presentation about the history of the school and area in 1802 for the fifth graders and other guests. It was fascinating! We are in the process of choosing a place in our school to hang this very wonderful gift.
- We need three special favors from all of you!!!! Could you please label your child/children's belongings with their names if you have not already done so? This would help to reduce the number of things that are currently residing in our "Lost and Found" in the cafeteria hallway. Before you go shopping to replace lost belongings, please check there. We are also asking that any photos that are taken in the building at events not be posted on Social Media for safety reasons. Finally, could you please remind all of your children about appropriate bus behavior? We have been doing this also and the language we are using encompasses being in the seats, sitting down, facing forward with knees/legs in from the aisles. We also emphasize using indoor voices so that the bus drivers can concentrate. This is important for everyone's safety!!! It will be especially important with winter "roads" looming on the horizon...Thank you for your help. All of the teachers are also reinforcing this in Morning Meeting!!!!
- Annual South School Feast : has been scheduled for Thursday, November 15. This is one of the great South School traditions that students remember fondly for years! It is a wonderful day to celebrate the tradition of Thanksgiving and the community of South Elementary. This year we are continuing with our "Over the River and Through the Woods" theme, and asking students to wear dressy clothes if they choose. A roast turkey lunch is served as the only choice that day. Children may also chose to bring their own lunch that day. The school lunch is always nut free and we ask that lunches that are sent in are also nut free as that would be very helpful on that one day! More information will be sent home as the event gets closer.
- Kindergarten 2019-2020- We are having an informational evening on November 8 at 6:30 at 220 Central St. for families and preschool staff who are interested in learning about the Hingham Public Schools' Kindergarten. This is open to all families who have children who will be turning five by 8/31/19. Please spread the word in your neighborhoods.
- We are so appreciative towards the Fifth Grade Leadership Team for the spruce up job they did on our rainbow rock display!
- This week, we are discussing of Tool Number Twelve, The Courage Tool (hence, the quote of the week) as it fits nicely with the Veteran's Day Observation and will be emphasized at our assembly on Friday. Ask your child about it and the other tools! See the Old News section for an explanation of Tool Box.
- Second Grade Field Trip to the Company Theater: Last Friday, November 2, the second grade enjoyed a field trip to the Company Theater production of Mulan. The students received many compliments about their excellent audience behavior! A huge thank you goes out to the grade level team and all of the parents who volunteered to chaperone!!!
- Veteran's Day Assembly Invitation:South School holds an annual Veteran's Day Ceremony to honor all Veterans especially those Veterans who have a connection to South School. The fifth grade will present a school-wide program explaining the history of Veteran's Day. Please invite any Veteran in your family or your neighborhood to be part of our ceremony. It will take place on Friday, November 9th from 2:00 o'clock to 2:30. The fifth graders are busy learning a special song. We hope that the special Veterans in your life can be a part of this annual ceremony. Please email Ann Thompson (email@example.com) if you have any questions and let us know if your special veteran would like to attend. Thank you!
- Special Note:
- We know that making ends meet can sometimes get difficult for some of the families in our HPS community. Therefore, we want to let you know that there are individuals in each of our schools who are ready to provide information and assistance. With that in mind, please be aware that access to government programs and other resources that are donated by a very generous Hingham community may be available to help families in times of financial or other need. Some examples of such outreach include the federal free and reduced lunch program and assistance with costs such as with athletic, bus/field trip, school picture, and tuition fees. As well, because of the generosity and caring of parents and others in our community, we are able to support families during the holiday seasons.
Please don't hesitate to contact an administrator, the school nurse, or counseling personnel
in your child's school if you need any kind of assistance. Please be assured that your request will be managed in a way that respects your rights for confidentiality.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click
HSP HOSTS UPCOMING WORKSHOP FOR PARENTS
Mastery: Coaching For Peak Performance on Tuesday, November 27th at 7pm
PCA (Positive Coaching Alliance)
is returning to Hingham Middle School to conduct another one of their signature parent/coach workshops. Join fellow parents for this informative session on how to help your child get the most out of sports. This workshop is designed for parents who want to see their child excel athletically, while taking advantage of life lessons that sports provide.
for this free workshop!
Annual Marathon Sport/Hingham High School Turkey Trot
The 19th Annual Marathon Sport/Hingham High School Turkey Trot 5K on 11/23/2018 at 7:30 am is dedicated to providing a fast, fun, and fulfilling Thanksgiving Day road race to benefit the Hingham High School Boys and Girls Cross-Country and Track & Field programs. Kick off your holiday weekend the right way with the biggest Thanksgiving Day race on the South Shore. Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female finishers in each age group.
- Register online now at
. Register in advance of race day and you will receive a long-sleeved Turkey Trot t-shirt. A late fee of $5 will be charged for all registrants who enter after November 20th.
Parents and athletes, we need your help to coordinate the Hingham Turkey Trot!
to organize the 19th Annual Hingham Turkey Trot volunteers. Here's how it works in 2 easy steps:
Join us at Hingham High School, Room 103 if you would like to volunteer.
Hingham Girls Basketball
Tryouts for Hingham Girls Basketball travel teams will be held on Sunday, Oct. 21st at Hingham High School for grades 5-8. All athletes must be Hingham residents. Anyone interested in trying out for a travel team MUST pre-register for the tryout by visiting the Hingham Sports website at https://www.hinghamsports.com/page/show/260507-gals-basketball. Walk-in registrations on the day of the tryout WILL NOT be accepted. Grade specific tryout times will be posted on the website and emailed to all registered players prior to the tryout. Tryouts for 4th grade travel will be conducted at a later date, although any interested 4th graders should register for the tryout now. For more information and to register, please visit the Hingham Sports website
Hingham Youth Wrestling, K-8th Grade
Learn how to wrestle, build strength, flexibility and balance, and most of all have fun. No experience necessary, anyone can join. Sessions start Nov. 27th - March, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm at the HHS Wrestling Room. Please contact Damien Bogle at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or call 508-889-5201.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
Cold and flu season is upon us... Please be aware that the Hingham Public Schools follow the guidelines and recommendations from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (Mass. DPH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) with regard to the seasonal flu and other communicable illnesses. We are actively teaching all of our students coughing and sneezing etiquette by encouraging them to cough and sneeze into their elbows or a tissue and to wash their hands frequently. We are also routinely cleaning desks, keyboards, door knobs and other things in and around the school that hands frequently touch. One of the most important things you can do, along with frequent handwashing and covering your cough or sneeze, is to keep your child home when he or she is sick. It is also highly recommended for everyone to get the flu shot. Please contact your doctor for information about this. For more information regarding student illness and school attendance, please visit the "Health Services" section on the South School website or the health section in the school handbook. Mass. DPH has flu information available for parents at
Please follow this information regarding the flu and our school policy regarding any illness when questioning whether to keep your child home and/or when your child can return to school. Thank you for your help and cooperation in keeping our students and our school healthy!
Thank you to 5th grade leadership members for reviving the kindness rocks.