What's the Buzz?
Veterans Day - NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, 11/13 -
Wednesday, 11/14 -
Thursday, 11/15 -
South School Feast
Friday, 11/16 -
Mark Your Calendar
South School 5K Fun Run 9:00 am
Noon Dismissal for Thanksgiving Break- No lunch is served
No School Thanksgiving Break
Noon Dismissal for Parent/Guardian Conferences - No lunch served
SES Holiday Concert @ 9:15
The support south check writing campaign came to a close this week and the results are in. Thanks to your amazing support and generous donations, we raised over $29,000 for South School! The South student, staff and PTO board appreciate your astounding generosity. Our busy bees will be out this weekend collecting the remaining "you've been buzzed" signs. Thank you again to all who contributed! Tax receipts for all donations are in process.
Congratulations to all of the Support South Raffle Winners.
VIP Parking for a school event
(parents can select the event of their choice)
South School Water Bottle:
Boston Bowl gift card:
: Bo Wilson
: Reese Dee
**Teacher for the Day winners will take place on Nov 21st.
We want to thank our wonderful South Social Chairs, Brooke Kavoogian, Laura Glennon and Jenny Nugent for throwing such a fun event on Friday night. They successfully continued South's tradition of gathering parents for an enjoyable evening of mingling and entertainment to celebrate our school community and campaign success. We are fortunate to have you in our village.
South School 5K Fun Run
The South School 5K Fun Run is Saturday, November 17th at 9:00am. See
for registration information! There will be free t-shirts for early registration and prizes for top finishers at each grade level, and a lot more fun and activities. Please contact Jill Leahy
with any questions.
Winterfest and the SES book fair are coming! Saturday, December 1st from 9AM-12PM
Please join us for South School's annual holiday shopping and socializing event for SES students. Participating students are asked to donate 10 of the same item in order to participate. Please see the Winterfest Flyer for each grade's assigned category. Donated items should be brought to school on Friday, November 30th.
- Too busy to shop? See attached flyer for details on our personal shopping program.
- Call for volunteers! Winterfest needs your help. Volunteer here.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community
It was so nice to see so many of you at the SES PTO Social on Friday night! A huge thank you goes out to Laura Glennon, Brooke Kavoogian, and Jenny Nugent for the fantastic job they did organizing this fantastic event!!!
This will prove to be a week where we are truly grateful for what we have at South School as we will close out the week with one of our most cherished traditions: The South School Annual Thanksgiving Feast! It will be held this Thursday, November 15th. Students remember this event fondly for years! It is a wonderful day to celebrate the upcoming holiday of Thanksgiving and the community of South Elementary. We are encouraging children and staff to wear dressy clothes to celebrate our theme of "Over the River and Through the Woods... "The entire school will be treated to a "from scratch" Thanksgiving lunch made by our wonderful cafeteria staff. We are so grateful to the cafeteria staff, the Feast Committee, the parent volunteers, and the fifth grade servers who are making this wonderful event happen.
We will also be having a collection for the Food Pantry during the entire week. We will take donations to stock up the Food Pantry. Here are some items that they need this time of year:
cranberry sauce, rice pilaf, stuffing, canned vegetables, boxed mashed potatoes, gravy, boxed baked goods (cake mix, corn bread mix...), pancake mix, pasta, pasta sauce....Thank you in advance for your generosity! And a huge thank you to Michelle LeBretton and her volunteers for making this happen.
Quote of the week: Have the courage to do the right thing!
NEW News for you...
- We are thrilled to tell you that Mrs. Brett, a grade four teacher, gave birth to a baby girl named Isabella, and Mrs. Joy our office assistant gave birth to a baby boy named Nash! They were both born on Wednesday, November 7!!! What a wonderful coincidence!!!
- We are sad to announce that Mrs. Thompson, our beloved secretary of over 30 years, has decided to retire on January 4. We wish her well, but will truly miss her. The good news is that she will be staying on to fill in for Mrs. Joy until February 8th as she will be on maternity leave until them.
- We had a wonderful Veteran's Day Assembly last Friday. It was a wonderful chance to honor the courage of all veterans, but especially to those who were able to accept our invitation to attend! We are grateful to all of grade five, Mrs. Cheung and Ann Marie Ryberg and Suzanne Maroney for facilitation the assembly!
- The Wednesday, December 5, early release day is set aside as a Conference Day for teachers /parents and guardians. Please contact Mrs. Thompson in the school office to schedule a conference if you wish. Please be aware that it is also possible to meet with teachers at any other time, just contact them directly to find a mutually convenient time. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! Please send in a substantial snack.
- We are so grateful to Tracy Manning and all of the parent volunteers and families who made the Spelling Bee such a success last Sunday! We had quite a few winning teams representing SES :
Grade 2: Winner: Killer Bees (South): Jae Moon, Henry Zorella, Molly Beale
Runner Up: The Queen Bees (South): Finley Sullivan, Jaelyn Gacicia, Georgia Rosenthal
Grade 3: Winner: Boston Spelltics (South): Liam Williams, Max Daly, Aidan Mannion
Runner Up: Spelling Stingers (South): William Manning, Benji Izmirlic, Will Monti
Grade 3: Winner: Expecto BeeTronum (South): Sidney Schneider, Calla Daly, Ruby Holahan
Runner Up: Sporty Spellers (South): Sean Christofferson, Nora Christofferson, Reed Enders
Grade 5: Winner: The Buzzer Beaters (South): Anna Post, Emmy Oppedisano, Demira Parekh
Runner Up: Three Bees (South): Finley Erick, Ryan Hallisey, Brenna Doherty
- We also have many budding Thespians who are in productions in local theaters: Annie Daly, Riley Byrne, Mrs. Daly (our librarian) are all in Annie, and Cora Peak in Mulan.
- This week, we will continue discussing Tool Number Twelve, The Courage Tool (hence, the quote of the week) as it fits nicely with the Veteran's Day Observation and was emphasized at our assembly on Friday. Ask your child about it and the other tools! See the Old News section for an explanation of Tool Box. Special Note:
- We know that making ends meet can sometimes get difficult for some of the families in our HPS community. Therefore, we want to let you know that there are individuals in each of our schools who are ready to provide information and assistance. With that in mind, please be aware that access to government programs and other resources that are donated by a very generous Hingham community may be available to help families in times of financial or other need. Some examples of such outreach include the federal free and reduced lunch program and assistance with costs such as with athletic, bus/field trip, school picture, and tuition fees. As well, because of the generosity and caring of parents and others in our community, we are able to support families during the holiday seasons.
Please don't hesitate to contact an administrator, the school nurse, or counseling personnel
in your child's school if you need any kind of assistance. Please be assured that your request will be managed in a way that respects your rights for confidentiality.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click
Hingham Women's Club Annual Festival of Trees
The Hingham Women's Club proudly presents its annual Festival of Trees
on Friday 12/7
. The Hingham Community Center will be filled with over 30 themed trees available for silent auction and dozens of raffles. All proceeds from the event support the Friends of the Homeless of the South Shore and the HWC Scholarship Fund. Don't miss the obstacle course with My Gym
on Friday night
and pictures with Santa, professionally photographed by Irish Eyes Photography,
from noon - 1:30pm on Saturday
HSP HOSTS UPCOMING WORKSHOP FOR PARENTS
Mastery: Coaching For Peak Performance on Tuesday, November 27th at 7pm
PCA (Positive Coaching Alliance)
is returning to Hingham Middle School to conduct another one of their signature parent/coach workshops. Join fellow parents for this informative session on how to help your child get the most out of sports. This workshop is designed for parents who want to see their child excel athletically, while taking advantage of life lessons that sports provide.
for this free workshop!
Annual Marathon Sport/Hingham High School Turkey Trot
The 19th Annual Marathon Sport/Hingham High School Turkey Trot 5K on 11/23/2018 at 7:30 am is dedicated to providing a fast, fun, and fulfilling Thanksgiving Day road race to benefit the Hingham High School Boys and Girls Cross-Country and Track & Field programs. Kick off your holiday weekend the right way with the biggest Thanksgiving Day race on the South Shore. Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female finishers in each age group.
- Register online now at
. Register in advance of race day and you will receive a long-sleeved Turkey Trot t-shirt. A late fee of $5 will be charged for all registrants who enter after November 20th.
Parents and athletes, we need your help to coordinate the Hingham Turkey Trot!
to organize the 19th Annual Hingham Turkey Trot volunteers. Here's how it works in 2 easy steps:
Join us at Hingham High School, Room 103 if you would like to volunteer.
Hingham Youth Wrestling, K-8th Grade
Learn how to wrestle, build strength, flexibility and balance, and most of all have fun. No experience necessary, anyone can join. Sessions start Nov. 27th - March, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm at the HHS Wrestling Room. Please contact Damien Bogle at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or call 508-889-5201.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
Cold and flu season is upon us... Please be aware that the Hingham Public Schools follow the guidelines and recommendations from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (Mass. DPH) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) with regard to the seasonal flu and other communicable illnesses. We are actively teaching all of our students coughing and sneezing etiquette by encouraging them to cough and sneeze into their elbows or a tissue and to wash their hands frequently. We are also routinely cleaning desks, keyboards, door knobs and other things in and around the school that hands frequently touch. One of the most important things you can do, along with frequent handwashing and covering your cough or sneeze, is to keep your child home when he or she is sick. It is also highly recommended for everyone to get the flu shot. Please contact your doctor for information about this. For more information regarding student illness and school attendance, please visit the "Health Services" section on the South School website or the health section in the school handbook. Mass. DPH has flu information available for parents at
Please follow this information regarding the flu and our school policy regarding any illness when questioning whether to keep your child home and/or when your child can return to school. Thank you for your help and cooperation in keeping our students and our school healthy!
Grade 2 receiving a lesson from Holly Hill Farm at South's garden
Congratulations to the winners of the Support South raffle!!
Alison Fabella, Lakshmi Hobson and Kristen Haggerty
Jenny Nugent, Christine van der Kieft and Jennifer Griffithes enjoying a night out at the South Social