What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 11/27 -
Wednesday, 11/28 -
3:15-4:00: School Council Meeting in the Conference Room
SSBT Visits for Nutcracker Excerpt
Friday, 11/30 - Day 6B
Mark Your Calendar
Noon Dismissal for Parent/Guardian Conferences - No lunch served
PTO meeting @ 9:15am in the cafeteria
Harvard Acapella Group Visits SES
SES Holiday Concert @ 9:15
Monday, 12/24 - Tuesday, 1/1
School Resumes Full School Day
No School, Martin Luther King Day
Shop for South
Shop at the Toy Box in Hanover on Monday, November 26th from 9AM - 8PM
The Toy Box of Hanover is generously donating 20% of all purchases made by South families back to our school. Simply mention South at check out. Complimentary Gift Wrapping on all Purchases! How to get there: The Toy Box is located on Rt. 53 in Hanover, across from Trader Joe's & the South Shore "Y". Can't make it there: Simply call: 781-826-3750 and order a gift certificate for yourself or a favorite teacher and 20% will be donated to South or order online at thetoyboxhanover.com and Use coupon code: South
Outerwear drive to benefit the Quincy Family Resource Center and the Lower Cape Outreach Council. We are asking for donations of NEW hats, mittens/gloves, and scarves for children and GENTLY USED coats for all ages to help keep everyone in warm this winter! Please send your donations in by December 7th. Bins will be in the front hall. Thank you in advance for your generosity! Questions? Contact
Kids Art at Winterfest
Drop into the gym and see our students' fabulous artwork during Winterfest, Saturday Dec 1 9am-noon. If you plan to attend Winterfest, please RSVP using the link to ensure that your child's art is on display.
Winterfest is Coming! Saturday, December 1 from 9-12
Please join us for South School's annual holiday shopping and socializing event for SES students. We ask that parents of all participating students contribute to the shopping inventory by purchasing
10 of the same item in the $1-2 range
. At Winterfest, your children will be able to pick out 10 great gifts for their loved ones, for only 25 cents per gift!
In order to prepare for our shopping event, gift donations should be brought to South School on Friday, November 30th by 9am.
RAFFLE ITEMS NEEDED:
Please also consider donating gifts valued approx. $5-10 to our raffle table of children's toys. All proceeds go to a charity selected by the 5th Grade Leadership Club! SES students love to win these raffle prizes! Donations may be marked "Winterfest Raffle" and delivered to the main office anytime.
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP:
We would love your help with Winterfest! Shifts available Friday and Saturday, please sign up using the Volunteer Spot link http://signup.com/go/ROFHsQF.
The South Elementary PTO has much to be thankful for. Thank you to all of the third grade who volunteered their time to make the Pow wow a success! The PTO board is incredibly grateful to our communications team: Meghan Wadleigh and Crystal Kelly, our newsletter editors, Howie Levy, our Buzz Blast Coordinator, Tracy Manning, our Facebook page administrator and Alison Chamberlain, our Instagram manager. They work tirelessly every week, behind the scenes, to make sure that everyone in the South community is in the know. Finally, a huge thank you to all of the wonderful teachers and staff at South; we are so lucky to have you all in our children's lives!
Attention 5th Grade Parents:
If you have not already sent in your child's baby photo please do so by December 1st. The memory book staff is also looking for candid's from K-5 at South to add to the memory book, especially from field trips, class activities and school celebrations (due January 1). Please only include photos from South school events
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
Everyone returned from the Thanksgiving Recess with big smiles on their faces. Now, we are looking forward to Winterfest/Bookfair, another fantastic South School tradition. It will take place this Saturday, December 1, from 9-12. (This will be a wonderful chance to check the Lost and Found in the cafeteria hallway!) A huge thank you goes out to the PTO and all of the volunteers who are making this happen!!! Hope to see you Saturday between nine and twelve.
Quote of the week: Because I care for myself, I care for others! (empathy tool this week)
Third Grade Pow Wow
: The third grade Pow Wow on November 20 was a fantastic display of what the children at this grade level have learned during their study of Native Americans, specifically the Wampanoag Tribe. A huge thank you to the PTO for financial assistance with this event as well as to all of the volunteers and the third grade teaching team and students for making this happen! We also thank the family members who came to see this wonderful event!
News for you...Just a reminder that new and still relevant items are bold italics.
Old news items will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, but left on for reference:
- A huge thank you goes out to all for your flexibility when we had to move arrival to the lower lot due to the fallen tree on 11/16. We are also very grateful to parents and staff who jumped in to help out...many getting drenched in the process. Thank you to Jennie Donegan who brought hot coffee and donuts to warm everyone up!!!
- Last Friday, you all received a letter from the Director of Guidance through my email. It outlined where we are with our Social/Emotional (HTSS) Initiative. It also mentioned that all teachers will fill out a screening for their classes and the opportunity for parents to opt out. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
- Outerwear Drive: We will be running an outerwear drive to benefit the Quincy Family Resource Center and the Lower Cape Outreach Council from November 26th through December 7th. We would greatly appreciate your donations of children's hats, mittens/gloves, and scarves (new only please) and gently used coats to help keep everyone in our greater community warm this winter!
- Arrival and dismissal:These can be very busy times in our office, and even more so in the winter. Thank you for understanding that we cannot take dismissal changes after 2:30 PM (except in case of an emergency). Thank you also for never making a double line in the driveway! We need to leave room for emergency vehicles and snowbanks make things even narrower.
- Hopefully we will never need the following information: Weather Cancellation Note: In the event that school needs to be cancelled due to weather, please tune in to channels : 4,5,7,25 or 56... radio stations: 1030 AM, 680AM, 90.9 FM. You may also sign up for text alerts from channels 4,5,7, and 25. Please do not call the police or fire stations to ask about cancellations as they can be very busy during storms. Thank you!
- Winterfest/ Book Fair: On Saturday, December 1, from 9-12, two other great South School traditions will take place: South School's Book Fair and the holiday shopping experience for our children known as Winterfest. The PTO does an amazing job organizing these activities annually, and they are both wonderful experiences for our children.
- The Holiday Concert has been scheduled for Monday, December 17 at 9:15-9:45. Fourth and fifth grade strings, band and chorus members perform. Parents/Guardians are welcome.
- Just a reminder that winter is coming and when the snow falls, children need snow boots and waterproof pants to play on the playground. Thank you!
- The Wednesday, December 5, early release day is set aside as a Conference Day for teachers /parents and guardians. Please contact Mrs. Thompson in the school office to schedule a conference if you wish. Please be aware that it is also possible to meet with teachers at any other time, just contact them directly to find a mutually convenient time. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! Please send in a substantial snack.
- Report Cards: Grade five (on three terms) will come home on December 7 and Grades K-4 (on two terms) will come home on February 1.
See bottom of complete Office News to see Dates for Calendar
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click
Kids In Action Pre-Kindergarten
Kids in Action will begin accepting Registration Forms on January 2. Classes run 5 days a week. You may choose to send your child from 8:30 - 11:30 or 8:30 - 1:00. Children must be 4 years old by August 31, 2019.
Please join us for an Open House on Wednesday January 9, 2019 from 12:30 - 1:30 at the East Elementary School.
For more information please contact;
SOUTH SHORE SPECIAL NEEDS ATHLETIC PARTNERSHIP (SNAP) WINTER PROGRAMS
is pleased to announce its Winter 2018-2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Winter programs will include: basketball, bowling, fitness & boxing, hip-hop dance, swimming, and yoga/Zumba. Registration information will be available on our website:
. Please direct any questions to
Hingham Special Education Update
Dr. Suzanne Vinnes, HPS Director of Student Services, recently sent out a "Dear Special Education Community" outlining the ongoing work of the special education department. To learn more (
Hingham Women's Club Annual Festival of Trees
HSP HOSTS UPCOMING WORKSHOP FOR PARENTS
Mastery: Coaching For Peak Performance on Tuesday, November 27th at 7pm
PCA (Positive Coaching Alliance)
is returning to Hingham Middle School to conduct another one of their signature parent/coach workshops. Join fellow parents for this informative session on how to help your child get the most out of sports. This workshop is designed for parents who want to see their child excel athletically, while taking advantage of life lessons that sports provide.
for this free workshop!
Hingham Youth Wrestling, K-8th Grade
Learn how to wrestle, build strength, flexibility and balance, and most of all have fun. No experience necessary, anyone can join. Sessions start Nov. 27th - March, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm at the HHS Wrestling Room. Please contact Damien Bogle at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or call 508-889-5201.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
Pictures from the recent Pow Wow
Principal for the Day
Raffle winner Reese Dee enjoying her day learning all about being a Principal.
South School Fun Run
Thank you to this amazing Fun Run Committee. From left to right: Jessica Pastan, Rebecca Stone, Courtney Ruccio, Megan Johnson, Jill Leahy, Emily Kelly, Sarah Machado, (and Keri Fabrizio not pictured)