What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 12/11 -
Harvard Acapella Group Visits SES
Shopping for South Event at Derby Street Shops
Wednesday, 12/12 -
Thursday, 12/13 -
Friday, 12/14 - Day 4B
Patriots Spirit Day
Mark Your Calendar
SES Holiday Concert @ 9:15
Pajama Day/Crazy Sweater Day
Monday, 12/24 - Tuesday, 1/1
School Resumes Full School Day
No School, Martin Luther King Day
Board would like to thank Alexis Lefort and 4th graders, Syndey Schneider, Chloe Mankes and Brooke Lynch for organizing the Outerwear drive to benefit the Quincy Family Resource Center and the Lower Cape Outreach Council. Thank you to all who donated! We would also like to thank Pam Hansen for coordinating the ToyBox shopping event on November 26. A special thank you goes out to the
SES students who participated in the card making station during winterfest coordinated by our wonderful community service committee,
Alexis Lefort, Christine Van Der Kieft, Becky Lynch, Laura Winters, Megan Johnson, Leigh Roy and Tammy Hutchison.
Thank you to Meena LaRonde for delivering the cards to patients at Boston's Children Hospital.
Shop for South at Derby Street Shops
Tuesday December 11, 2018 shop at Evereve (6-9pm) Vineyard Vines (6-8pm) and Cava (6-10pm) and South will get a percentage back. Click
for the flyer.
Teacher Holiday Cookie Swap
Calling all bakers! The annual teacher appreciation holiday cookie swap will be on December 20th. If you would like to donate cookies please email email@example.com for details.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
We had another fantastic week at South Elementary! We are very proud of the progress of all of our students and especially the fifth graders who brought home their term one report cards this past Friday. Fifth grade has three terms, so will receive another report card in March and the final one in June. Grades K-4 are on a semester schedule as they have made the switch to a Standards Based Report Card, and therefore, will receive report cards in early February (1st) and June.
Quote of the week: We all have a right to our personal space! (personal space tool this week)
News for you...Just a reminder that new and still relevant items are bold italics.
Old news items will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, but left on for reference:
- A huge thank you to the parents who attended out first parent Focus Group of 18-19 on Thursday 12/6. Parents/guardians who were invited were chosen completely at random. We loved what everyone had to say as there were some wonderful suggestions! We will also have a student focus group later in the month, and one more of each later in the month.
- On Friday, December 14th we will have a Patriots' Spirit Day.
- On Friday, December 21st we will have a PJ and/or crazy sweater day
- Make the holidays a little warmer for children in need and enjoy the gift of giving. This December donate unwrapped toys or gift cards for a child of your age. Drop off items at either South or Middle Schools between Dec 8-15. Questions and gift card codes purchased online can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All proceeds to benefit the ABCD Winter Fund of inner city Boston.
- Fifth grade parents are invited to a special program put on by the HMS PTO: A Survival Guide to Parenting Teens - Tuesday, January 15 from 7-9pm at HMS
- This past week, December 3-7, at South School we are participated in Inclusion Week, an annual international event that acknowledges the hard work and commitment of teachers, administrators, students and families in making their schools more inclusive, and thereby significantly contributing to the development of a more inclusive society. This is a time when our village continued the journey toward providing a quality education to all children regardless of differences in ability, gender, ethnicity, language, and health status. In addition to what we usually do to be sure all students feel included and welcomed, we are called this the Rainbow Kaleidoscope of Kindness Week. Students did various additional activities (depending on grade level), and all classrooms continued to celebrate differences and discuss the special qualities that each and every child possesses. We culminated the week by wearing our grade level colors on Friday, December 7, which represented our special kaleidoscope of kindness.
- The next early release day is the SECOND not the first Wednesday of January, January 9th. This early release day is set aside as a Professional Development day for staff. Just a reminder that ALL early Releases are at noon with no lunch served this year! Please send in a substantial snack.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
Kids In Action Pre-Kindergarten
Kids in Action will begin accepting Registration Forms on January 2. Classes run 5 days a week. You may choose to send your child from 8:30 - 11:30 or 8:30 - 1:00. Children must be 4 years old by August 31, 2019.
Please join us for an Open House on Wednesday January 9, 2019 from 12:30 - 1:30 at the East Elementary School.
For more information please contact;
SOUTH SHORE SPECIAL NEEDS ATHLETIC PARTNERSHIP (SNAP) WINTER PROGRAMS
is pleased to announce its Winter 2018-2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Winter programs will include: basketball, bowling, fitness & boxing, hip-hop dance, swimming, and yoga/Zumba. Registration information will be available on our website:
. Please direct any questions to
Hingham Special Education Update
Dr. Suzanne Vinnes, HPS Director of Student Services, recently sent out a "Dear Special Education Community" outlining the ongoing work of the special education department. To learn more (
Hingham Girls Hockey Announces Learn to Play Program Registration
Hingham Girls Hockey is pleased to announce that registration is open for the Winter session of its popular Learn to Play program. Introducing young girls to skating and hockey in a fun environment, coaches will include learning skating techniques and puck skills following USA Hockey's ADM model. Small area games will conclude each practice. The Winter session will begin on Wednesday, January 2rd and will run to early April. The schedule will include one skills session on Wednesdays and a "game day" every Sunday morning.
For girls interested in trying hockey, we will hold a Try Hockey for Free Day on Wednesday, December 19th at 6:15pm. Girls must have skates, stick, helmet, elbow pads, shin guards and hockey gloves. A limited amount of protective gear will be available at the rink for use that day.
Registration is open at
. Some equipment is available for rental. A jersey will be provided. Questions may be addressed to
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
Superintendent Search Update
INVITATION TO SUPERINTENDENT FINALIST PUBLIC INTERVIEWS
December 6, 2018 - The hiring of a new Superintendent is a tremendous responsibility and the Hingham School Committee will be seeking community input on the finalists to help us select the new superintendent to lead the Hingham Public Schools. To facilitate your knowledge of the candidates, the School Committee invites and encourages you to attend the two public interview sessions of the four candidates on December 10 and December 17.
The interview sessions will include a formal, public interview of each candidate by the School Committee followed by community Q&A with each candidate. The Interviews will be held in the Hingham High School Auditorium, 17 Union Street, Hingham, MA 02043 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
Candidate appearances are as follows: Monday, December 10th: 6:00 - 7:30 PM Dr. James M. LaBillois, Ed.D. 7:30 - 9:00 PM Dr. Earl F. Metzler, II, Ed.D. Monday, December 17th: 6:00 - 7:30 PM Dr. Paul W. Austin, Jr., Ph.D. 7:30 - 9:00 PM Dr. Donna Flaherty Straight, Ed. D.
The entire letter can be read
BOKS Kids of the Week
Lesxi Messina and