What's the Buzz?
Monday, 3/4 -
Getting to Know You Coffee for incoming Kindergarten parents in cafeteria
Tuesday, 3/5 -
Wednesday, 3/6 -
Noon release for Professional Development/ Lunch is not served
Thursday, 3/7 -
Shop for South at Bertucci's 11am-9:30pm
Friday, 3/8 -
PTO Meeting, 9:15 in the Cafeteria with Guest Speaker, Kay Prashma
Mark Your Calendar
Tuesday, March 12
William Alberti Poetry Speaker visits grade 2
Friday, March 15
Grade 4 visits Plymouth Philharmonic
Bay Colony Educators visits grade 5
Monday, March 18
BU Irish Step (Step up Boston) performance at SES
Wear Green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day
South School Night at Nona's 4-8
Wednesday, April 10
PTO Meeting, 7:00 in the Library/Guest Speaker Mr. Derek Smith from HMS
Monday, 4/15 - Friday, 4/29
No School - April Vacation
Wednesday, May 1st
South School Shines: Art
show/Spring Book Fair/Hobby Night 4-7pm
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
Thank you SES community for your generosity!! It was amazing to see all the donation bins full of hygiene products for the
ellspring Multi-Service Center AND food for the Hingham Food Pantry.
Shop for South at Bertucci's
March 7th from 11:00 am - 9:30 pm. Get out of the cold, and warm up with some brick oven pizza at Bertucci's! On Thursday, March 7th, dine in, take out, or even have your meal delivered via GrubHub, and 25% of your purchase will go directly to our school! Valid from 11:00 a.m - 9:30 p.m. Be sure to download and show this coupon when you order, either on paper or on your smartphone!
Calling all Irish Step Dancers!! ☘️
We are looking for SES dancers to perform at our St. Paddy's Day assembly on Monday March 18. For more details and to sign up, please reach out to Carrie (email@example.com)or Marlie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Newsletter Co-Editor Needed
We are looking for a co-editor for the weekly "What's the Buzz" e-newsletter. This is a great way to stay up to date with South school and PTO events and is ideal for someone who would like to volunteer from home. Training will be provided. If you have questions or would like to help out, please email Meghan Wadleigh or Jen Benham.
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds. Our first visit on this past Thursday was a big success.
The dates available for sign up are on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at: http://signup.com/go/KqGzhJQ There are 7 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at: http://signup.com/go/ATOMgRH Please email Rachel Shields at email@example.com for questions.
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION RACE TO EXTRA RECESS!
1. Bring in your box tops labeled with your name, teacher, and grade.
2. Put your box tops in the bins inside the front door of school.
3. We will collect, count, and graph the box tops.
4. The grade with the most box tops turned in earns an extra recess in the spring!
Contest dates: begins January 2, 2019 and runs until March 29, 2019
Each box top earns 10 cents for South Elementary! Our goal this year is to earn $1200.00.
Follow us on Instagram!
The South PTO is on Instagram. Follow our account to see the wonderful things the PTO is doing at South! If you have any questions, please email Alison Chamberlain.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
Last week was a great week! Everyone came back refreshed after vacation, and we celebrated Read Across America Week and Dr. Seuss's Birthday with lots of activities to encourage reading and the love of books. We had lots of "theme" days, but, unfortunately, had to postpone the fantastic Dr. Seuss Breakfast on Saturday due to snow!!! On top of all of that, we had a visit from an author named Janet Wade in grade 2, and a visit from the Science Museum Star Lab for grade one. We are grateful to our PTO, Mrs. Swanson, our Reading Specialist, Mrs. Jacobs, all of our teachers, the Fifth Grade Leadership Team and especially, Tracy Manning, our PTO representative, for planning and/or sponsoring the wonderful activities to celebrate reading and books!!! Also thank you to all for managing the two hour delay so beautifully on Thursday as we are sure it was not easy with work schedules etc...
Admit your mistakes and work to forgive others' mistakes too as we are all human! (Week one of Apology and Forgiveness Tool)
Thank you for pulling up to the red sign in the front driveway if you are the lead car at morning drop off. This facilities drop off which is especially important as the weather has changed and more students are being dropped off not to mention the complications that snow banks can cause. It also helps alleviate the traffic on Main St.
Thank you also for making sure there is a single line in the driveway at all times. This is especially important in case of emergencies and also passage when we have snow piles. You might need to pass the school and come back if there is no room when you arrive...We will take care of your children if they are waiting so no worries! PLEASE DO NOT PARK AND LEAVE YOUR CAR EMPTY IN THIS LINE AT DISMISSAL TIME...thank you!
News for you...Just a reminder that new and still relevant items are bold italics. Old news items will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, only left on for reference:.
- We are grateful to the PTO Cultural Committee for bringing us "Jessie Chris" performed an assembly with an anti-bullying message on Friday March 1 for all students in grades K-5.
- Thank you all for welcoming back one of our renowned former principals, Cheryl Edgar, who has come in to fill in for Lori Jacobs while she is on maternity leave. Cheryl taught third and sixth grade for years in the HPS, and was our Assistant Principal and then Principal from 2001-2007. She will be here three days a week and all MCAS days. We are thrilled to have her help!
- The trainings for interested parents/guardians who want to learn about our wonderful new Social/Emotional Program called Toolbox that were originally scheduled for this coming week have been postponed . We will get you the new dates as soon as we have them.
- Thank you for understanding that we can no longer accept recycling from citizens in our bin near the bus loop. We used to make money to recycle, we now have to pay. Thank you for respecting that this bin is for SES school recycling only. The Hingham Transfer Station will gladly take your household recycling. (:
- Mark your calendars for South School Night at Nona's. It will take place on Monday, March 18 from 4-8. A huge thank you to Ms. Campbell for arranging it. Many of our staff members will be volunteer scoopers that night and the proceeds go to a scholarship fund for Fly South and Homework Heroes.
- The early release Wednesday for March is this Wednesday, March 6, 2019- Early Release for Professional Development. Dismissal is at noon, and lunch is not served.
- Please Help US!!!! Please let all of your friends and neighbors know that the kindergarten registration period for 2019-2020 is coming soon (details to follow). This is also the period during which children who are in kindergarten elsewhere should be registered for first grade. We would accept registration for new students in all other grades as well. Thank you for helping us to spread the word as knowing our numbers by early May really helps planning class sections for September. Registration forms will were made available at our office and on the website on February 25, 2019. They can be printed and filled out before the visit to the office during which children need a birth certificate and proof of residence to make the registration official. Registration will extend through March and all kindergarten orientation activities will take place between May 1 and 17, 2019 (more information to come). Please be aware that there is a late registration fee applied after March 29, 2019. Thank you for getting forms back to us before then! Please feel free to sign up your pre-schooler for our Thousand Book Club and also to attend the Dr. Seuss Breakfast on Saturday, March 2, 2019 @ 9:30-10:30 in the South School Cafeteria We will also be hosting a Getting to Know You Coffee for incoming kindergarten parents on March 4 @ 9:15 in the SES Cafeteria from 9:15-10:15. (Thank you PTO!)
- On Monday, March 18, we are inviting the students to wear green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and we thank the PTO Cultural Committee (Alison Chamberlain and Holly Enders) in advance for arranging the visit of the BU Irish Step Dancing Team . We also invite any of our students who do Irish Step to dance that day. Please contact Carrie Prindeville at Carriehowlett@yahoo.com if your child is interested in dancing that day.
- Outerwear Recommendations: When the weather is cold, thank you for sending your children to school dressed properly and ready to go out to recess. We go out on any day that is above 25 degrees. Please also note that children will need snow pants and waterproof boots to play on the snow when it arrives this winter. This prevents them from having to sit in class in wet clothes and socks when they come back in. It might also be a good idea to send in a set of dry clothes/socks for the lockers just in case.
See bottom of complete Office News to see Dates for Calendar
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
SOUTH SHORE SPECIAL NEEDS ATHLETIC PARTNERSHIP (SNAP) WINTER PROGRAMS
is pleased to announce its Winter 2018-2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Winter programs will include: basketball, bowling, fitness & boxing, hip-hop dance, swimming, and yoga/Zumba. Registration information will be available on our website:
. Please direct any questions to
Pizzapalooza -Save the date: Wednesday, March 27th from 5-7pm
Hingham's finest establishments will compete to be declared the best pizza in Hingham! Proceeds benefit South Shore Special Needs Athletic Partnership [SNAP].
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
|PTO Contact Information
Country artist Jessie Chris, anti-bullying advocate/author presents to grade K-5
Museum of Science StarLab Visits Grade 1!!
Ben, Brody, Josh, Colin and Wyatt had a great time volunteering
at Linden Ponds this week. Thank you 5th grade leadership team!
The Wellspring Center in Hull were so appreciative of all the donations from South School Families!! A big thank you to The Lynch Family for making the delivery!!