What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 3/12 -
William Alberti Poetry Speaker visits grade 2
Wednesday, 3/13 -
Thursday, 3/14 -
Friday, 3/15 -
Grade 4 visits Plymouth Philharmonic
Incoming Kindergarten parents Coffee with the principal @9:15
Mark Your Calendar
BU Irish Step (Step up Boston) performance at SES
Wear Green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day
Bay Colony Educators visits grade 5
South School Night at Nona's 4-8PM
Friday, March 22
Kindergarten Wedding of Q and U 9:15 AM
Early Release at noon
PTO Meeting, 7:00 in the Library/Guest Speaker Mr. Derek Smith from HMS
Monday, 4/15 - Friday, 4/19
No School - April Vacation
Fifth Grade vs. Staff Floor Hockey Game
@ 5PM @ HHS
Tuesday, 4/30 - Wednesday, 5/1
Spring Book Fair
South School Shines: Art
show/Spring Book Fair/Hobby Night 4-7PM
2nd grade poetry festival @ 9:15
Kindergarten Orientation @ 7PM
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
Thank you to all the families that came out to Bertuccis Thursday night to support South. It was a huge success and we raised $741. Thank you to Julie Fleming our Shopping for South chair for organizing this event.
Calling all Irish Step Dancers!! ☘️
We are looking for SES dancers to perform at our St. Paddy's Day assembly on Monday March 18. For more details and to sign up, please reach out to Carrie (email@example.com)or Marlie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The KidsArt "FUNraiser" through Silvergraphics is still happening and will continue until June! Choose from over 50 Quality products, including ornaments, mouse pads, and water bottles, imprinted with your child's art from Mrs. Rollins' class. These personalized keepsakes make awesome Mother's Day or Father's Day gifts.
Enter school access code: SOUTHart2019
Newsletter Co-Editor Needed
We are looking for a co-editor for the weekly "What's the Buzz" e-newsletter. This is a great way to stay up to date with South school and PTO events and is ideal for someone who would like to volunteer from home. Training will be provided. If you have questions or would like to help out, please email Meghan Wadleigh or Jen Benham.
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds. Our first visit on this past Thursday was a big success.
The dates available for sign up are on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at: http://signup.com/go/KqGzhJQ There are 7 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at: http://signup.com/go/ATOMgRH Please email Rachel Shields at email@example.com for questions.
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION RACE TO EXTRA RECESS!
1. Bring in your box tops labeled with your name, teacher, and grade.
2. Put your box tops in the bins inside the front door of school.
3. We will collect, count, and graph the box tops.
4. The grade with the most box tops turned in earns an extra recess in the spring!
Contest dates: begins January 2, 2019 and runs until March 29, 2019
Each box top earns 10 cents for South Elementary! Our goal this year is to earn $1200.00.
Follow us on Instagram!
The South PTO is on Instagram. Follow our account to see the wonderful things the PTO is doing at South! If you have any questions, please email Alison Chamberlain.
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Dear South School Community,
Thank you all for being so patient in the drop off and pick up lines over the past week, it can be a bit of a slow process, especially now with the snow banks!!! Thank you for remembering NOT to make a double line in the driveway as we need to leave it open for emergencies and to move full cars through. Thank you also for NEVER using the bus loop during arrival and dismissal times as we need it free to move our buses and vans through as quickly as possible. We try to move everyone along as quickly as possible, but there may be times that you have to drive past the school and turn around at Cushing St. or wait on Loring Hill Rd. We also cannot block Main St. Rest assured that we will stay with your child until you arrive. Next time you see Nancy, our crossing guard, give her a big wave as she has been working so hard managing three entrances and exits all winter and was especially vigilant during the storms we have had lately! We are lucky to have her as she works hard to keep our village safe!!! We are also grateful to all of you and our staff for doing the same!!!
Admit your mistakes and work to forgive others' mistakes too as we are all human! (Week two of Apology and Forgiveness Tool)
NEW News for you:
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
- April Early Release is Wednesday, April 3. It will be a noon release and lunch is not served. This day is set aside for Parent/Teacher Conferences. If you would like a conference, please call our front office, and they will schedule one for you (781-741-1540 x 1). Please also be aware that it is possible to schedule a conference on any other day. Please contact your child's teacher directly to find a mutually convenient time.
- Just one week until SES Nona's Night, 4-8 on Monday, March 18. Proceeds go to scholarships for Fly South and Homework Heroes. Many of our staff members volunteer to scoop ice cream! We are grateful to Nona's for their generosity and to Ms. Campbell for arranging the evening!
- Congratulations to all of our fifth graders for competing at the local level for a place at the Regional/National Spelling Bee. We will be cheering on Gavin Anderson on Wednesday, March 13 at the Regional Competition in Lynn. Yeah, Gavin!
- On Wednesday, April 10 @ 7 PM, our PTO Meeting will feature a visit from the principal of Hingham Middle School. Derek Smith. We are grateful for his time and extend an invitation to all parents but especially those of fifth graders to come and meet Mr. Smith.
- The kindergarten Wedding of Q and U will take place on Friday, March 22 @ 9:15 AM.
- The traditional Fifth Grade vs. Staff Floor Hockey Game will take place on Wednesday, April 24 @ 5 PM @ the Hingham High School Gym.
- Thank you Fifth Grade Leadership Team: We are very grateful to the leaders and students for organizing the wonderful Food Pantry Drive last week! Thank you all for contributing!
- For students who are currently enrolled in K-4 at South this year, we will be sending home a Parent Input Form on Monday, March 11, via the backpacks. We will also post it on the PTO and SES web sites. This form will help us to anticipate our numbers for the 19-20 school year. On this form you may write about the kind of environment that would best suit your child and also inform us of any factors that you want the school to consider when completing the placement process. Thank you in advance for not requesting that your child should be placed with a specific teacher. We are so fortunate to have a very professional teaching staff with excellent credentials, and they all go above and beyond to help students reach their greatest potential. It is important to keep in mind as we go through this process that it is best to prepare the child for the path, rather than the path for the child. We are all (educators and families) not only preparing them for the path, but as best summed up by FDR in this quote: ("We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future."). We are all helping to build our youth for the future!!! Please let us know any information you want us to consider on this form, and thank you for understanding that we cannot make changes once the class lists get mailed in August.
- Grade 5 parents will receive an input form from Hingham Middle School within the next month.
- The trainings for interested parents/guardians who want to learn about our wonderful new Social/Emotional Program called Toolbox that were originally scheduled for the past week have been rescheduled with a date TBA.
- Please Help US!!!! Please let all of your friends and neighbors know that the kindergarten registration period for 2019-2020 is coming soon (details to follow). This is also the period during which children who are in kindergarten elsewhere should be registered for first grade. We would accept registration for new students in all other grades as well. Thank you for helping us to spread the word as knowing our numbers by early May really helps planning class sections for September. Registration forms will were made available at our office and on the website on February 25, 2019. They can be printed and filled out before the visit to the office during which children need a birth certificate and proof of residence to make the registration official. Registration will extend through March and all kindergarten orientation activities will take place between May 1 and 17, 2019 (more information to come). Please be aware that there is a late registration fee applied after March 29, 2019. Thank you for getting forms back to us before then! Please feel free to sign up your pre-schooler for our Thousand Book Club. We will also be hosting a Getting to Know You Coffee for incoming kindergarten parents on March 15 (new date) @ 9:15 in the SES Cafeteria from 9:15-10:15. (Thank you PTO!)
- On Monday, March 18, we are inviting the students to wear green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and we thank the PTO Cultural Committee (Alison Chamberlain and Holly Enders) in advance for arranging the visit of the BU Irish Step Dancing Team . We also invite any of our students who do Irish Step to dance that day. Please contact Carrie Prindeville at Carriehowlett@yahoo.com if your child is interested in dancing that day.
- Outerwear Recommendations: When the weather is cold, thank you for sending your children to school dressed properly and ready to go out to recess. We go out on any day that is above 25 degrees. Please also note that children will need snow pants and waterproof boots to play on the snow when it arrives this winter. This prevents them from having to sit in class in wet clothes and socks when they come back in. It might also be a good idea to send in a set of dry clothes/socks for the lockers just in case.
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
South Shore SN
AP (Special Needs Athletic Partnership) Spring Programs
South Shore SNAP is pleased to offer exciting recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. The spring programs will include: baseball, bowling, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Details and registration information will be available soon on our website: www.southshoresnap.com. Please direct any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pizzapalooza -Save the date: Wednesday, March 27th from 5-7pm
Hingham's finest establishments will compete to be declared the best pizza in Hingham! Proceeds benefit South Shore Special Needs Athletic Partnership [SNAP].
SEPAC meeting this Wednesday, March 13 at 7pm at the Library in the Fearing Room
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
Mrs. Lumnah and Mrs. Corson classes had a visit from our GSAA committee. After learning about artist, Henri Matisse and his paper cutouts, the children used his style to cut and arrange shapes while making collages.
|Congrats to our Buzz Award Winners!!
|Congratulations to our BOKS Kids of the Week!
|PTO Contact Information