Monday, 3/18 -
BU Irish Step (Step up Boston) performance at SES
☘️Wear Green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day
Bay Colony Educators visits grade 5
South School Night at Nona's 4-8PM
Tuesday, 3/19 -
Thursday, 3/21 -
Friday, 3/22 -
Mark Your Calendar
Kindergarten Wedding of Q and U 9:15 AM
Noon Release for Parent/ Guardian Conferences/ Lunch is not served
PTO Meeting, 7:00 in the Library/Guest Speaker Mr. Derek Smith from HMS
Monday, 4/15 - Friday, 4/19
No School - April Vacation
Fifth Grade vs. Staff Floor Hockey Game
@ 5PM @ HHS
Tuesday, 4/30 - Wednesday, 5/1
Spring Book Fair
Noon release for Professional Development/
Lunch is not served
South School Shines: Art
show/Spring Book Fair/Hobby Night 4-7PM
2nd grade poetry festival @ 9:15
Kindergarten Orientation @ 7PM
- Wednesday, May 8- Walk/Bike to School
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
Calling all Irish Step Dancers!! ☘️
We are looking for SES dancers to perform at our St. Paddy's Day assembly on Monday March 18. For more details and to sign up, please reach out to Carrie (firstname.lastname@example.org)or Marlie (email@example.com).
Get Smart About Art
Our Get Smart About Art Committee has been busy visiting grades K-5. Children have been learning about different artists and making special art projects. We will display all of the projects on May 1st at our South School Shines Night! Thank you to Sara O'Neill, Cindy Enright, Marlie McManus and Karen Monti for your dedication to this PTO program.
ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT FOR OUR BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION
RACE TO EXTRA RECESS - ENDS MARCH 29th!
We have a close race and there's still time to win! Totals as of 3/15:
1. Bring in your box tops labeled with your name, teacher, and grade.
2. Put your box tops in the bins inside the front door of school.
3. We will collect, count, and graph the box tops.
4. The grade with the most box tops turned in earns an extra recess in the spring!
Contest dates: begins January 2, 2019 and runs until March 29, 2019
Each box top earns 10 cents for South Elementary! Our goal this year is to earn $1200.00.
The KidsArt "FUNraiser" through Silvergraphics is still happening and will continue until June! Choose from over 50 Quality products, including ornaments, mouse pads, and water bottles, imprinted with your child's art from Mrs. Rollins' class. These personalized keepsakes make awesome Mother's Day or Father's Day gifts.
Enter school access code: SOUTHart2019
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds. Our first visit on this past Thursday was a big success.
The dates available for sign up are on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at: http://signup.com/go/KqGzhJQ There are 7 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at: http://signup.com/go/ATOMgRH Please email Rachel Shields at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Follow us on Instagram
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
Dear South School Community,
Can you believe that term two ended this past Friday, March 15, for grade 5? This means that we are almost two-thirds of the way through the school year! It does not seem possible!!! Children in grade 5 will bring home their report cards in their backpacks on Friday, March 22. Children in K-4 received report cards on February 1 and will get them again on the last day of school as they are on a half year semester schedule as opposed to a trimester like grade 5.
Quote of the week: I am strong enough to wait! (Week one of Patience Tool)
News for you...Just a reminder that new and still relevant items are bold italics.
Old news items will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, only left on for reference when you click for entire text.
- We hope to see you at SES Night at Nona's, the ice cream store downtown. Come and have your favorite staff member serve you your favorite treat! It will take place this Monday, March 18 from 4-8 PM. Couldn't we all use a little taste of summer at this point??? We are grateful to Nona's for their generosity and to Ms. Campbell for arranging the evening!
- Pizzapalooza is also coming up at Hingham High School on Wednesday, March 27 from 5:30-7:30!!! This is a fundraiser that benefits the SNAP program.
- On Monday, March 18, we are inviting the students to wear green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and we thank the PTO Cultural Committee (Alison Chamberlain and Holly Enders) in advance for arranging the visit of the BU Irish Step Dancing Team . We also invite any of our students who do Irish Step to dance that day. Please contact Carrie Prindeville at Carriehowlett@yahoo.comif your child is interested in dancing that day.
- On Monday, April 8/School Committee Meeting (220 Central St.) @ 7PM, NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges) will be presenting our own Dr. Galo with a Leadership Award. She has given 55 years of her life to the Hingham Public Schools. This will be an early item on the agenda. Feel free to attend to honor her!
- Mark your calendars for May 8/ Walk/Bike to School Day, a state-wide initiative
- We are excited to tell you that South School has received an invitation from the state to attend a State Department of Education to attend a ceremony on June 7 which honors the Schools of Recognition in our state!
- April Early Release : is Wednesday, April 3. It will be a noon release and lunch is not served. This day is set aside for Parent/Teacher Conferences. If you would like a conference, please call our front office, and they will schedule one for you (781-741-1540 x 1). Please also be aware that it is possible to schedule a conference on any other day. Please contact your child's teacher directly to find a mutually convenient time.
- Mr. Smith, the Hingham Middle School Principal will be visiting out PTO Meeting on April 10 At 7 PM.
- On Wednesday, April 10 @ 7 PM, our PTO Meeting will feature a visit from the principal of Hingham Middle School. Derek Smith. We are grateful for his time and extend an invitation to all parents but especially those of fifth graders to come and meet Mr. Smith.
- The kindergarten Wedding of Q and U will take place on Friday, March 22 @ 9:15 AM.
- The traditional Fifth Grade vs. Staff Floor Hockey Game will take place on Wednesday, April 24 @ 5 PM @ the Hingham High School Gym.
- For students who are currently enrolled in K-4 at South this year, we will be sending home a Parent Input Form on Monday, March 11, via the backpacks. We will also post it on the PTO and SES web sites. This form will help us to anticipate our numbers for the 19-20 school year. On this form you may write about the kind of environment that would best suit your child and also inform us of any factors that you want the school to consider when completing the placement process. Thank you in advance for not requesting that your child should be placed with a specific teacher. We are so fortunate to have a very professional teaching staff with excellent credentials, and they all go above and beyond to help students reach their greatest potential. It is important to keep in mind as we go through this process that it is best to prepare the child for the path, rather than the path for the child. We are all (educators and families) not only preparing them for the path, but as best summed up by FDR in this quote: ("We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future."). We are all helping to build our youth for the future!!! Please let us know any information you want us to consider on this form, and thank you for understanding that we cannot make changes once the class lists get mailed in August.
- Grade 5 parents will receive an input form from Hingham Middle School within the next month.
- The trainings for interested parents/guardians who want to learn about our wonderful new Social/Emotional Program called Toolbox that were originally scheduled for the past week have been postponed. New dates TBA..
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
South Shore SN
AP (Special Needs Athletic Partnership) Spring Programs
South Shore SNAP is pleased to offer exciting recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. The spring programs will include: baseball, bowling, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Details and registration information will be available soon on our website: www.southshoresnap.com. Please direct any questions to: email@example.com
Pizzapalooza -Save the date: Wednesday, March 27th from 5-7pm
Hingham's finest establishments will compete to be declared the best pizza in Hingham! Proceeds benefit South Shore Special Needs Athletic Partnership [SNAP].
Hingham Little League Baseball
If your son or daughter plans to play Little League Baseball this Spring (2019) and has a birth date between September 1, 2011 and August 31, 2014 (LL Baseball age 5 - 7), registration is still open.
Equally important, please make sure you let us know if you would like to coach as we will be coordinating coaches meetings and league drafts during March.
After registering as a coach, please contact HLL coaching coordinator Jaime McDonald by following the link:
Open house Sunday, June 3 from 12-2pm. See
for more details.
2019 Fall Cheerleading Registration opens on Friday, March 15th!!
Registration is open to all rising 2nd to 8th grade Hingham students.
Cheer season runs from end of August to the end of November.
We are offering an off-season Cheer Conditioning Clinic to all registered cheerleaders starting April 5th, which runs 10 weeks. Please see the HYF Cheer website for more info or email CCHYFCHEER@gmail.com.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
William Alberti, Poetry Speaker visits grade 2
|Congratulations to our BOKS Kids of the Week!
Emma Joyce and Ben Taylor
|PTO Contact Information