Tuesday, 3/26 -
Thursday, 3/28 -
Friday, 3/29 -
Mark Your Calendar
Noon Release for Parent/ Guardian Conferences/ Lunch is not served
PTO Meeting, 7:00 in the Library/Guest Speaker Mr. Derek Smith from HMS
Monday, 4/15 - Friday, 4/19
No School - April Vacation
Fifth Grade vs. Staff Floor Hockey Game
@ 5PM @ HHS
Tuesday, 4/30 - Wednesday, 5/1
Spring Book Fair
Noon release for Professional Development/
Lunch is not served
South School Shines: Art
show/Spring Book Fair/Hobby Night 4-7PM
2nd grade poetry festival @ 9:15
Kindergarten Orientation @ 7PM
Wednesday, May 8- Walk/Bike to School
Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
Turn in those Kindergarten Registration Packets!
Did you know that school staffing decisions are made in May? Please turn in Kindergarten registration packets by the March 29th deadline to ensure that South has an accurate student count for next year, and tell your friends and neighbors with incoming Kindergartners! This applies to first graders entering Hingham Public Schools from a private Kindergarten too - make sure South knows that they're on their way! Thanks for your help!
Get Smart About Art
Our Get Smart About Art Committee has been busy visiting grades K-5. Children have been learning about different artists and making special art projects. We will display all of the projects on May 1st at our South School Shines Night! Thank you to Sara O'Neill, Cindy Enright, Marlie McManus and Karen Monti for your dedication to this PTO program.
ONLY ONE WEEK LEFT FOR OUR BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION
RACE TO EXTRA RECESS - ENDS MARCH 29th!
We have a close race and there's still time to win! Totals as of 3/15:
1. Bring in your box tops labeled with your name, teacher, and grade.
2. Put your box tops in the bins inside the front door of school.
3. We will collect, count, and graph the box tops.
4. The grade with the most box tops turned in earns an extra recess in the spring!
Contest dates: begins January 2, 2019 and runs until March 29, 2019
Each box top earns 10 cents for South Elementary! Our goal this year is to earn $1200.00.
The KidsArt "FUNraiser" through Silvergraphics is still happening and will continue until June! Choose from over 50 Quality products, including ornaments, mouse pads, and water bottles, imprinted with your child's art from Mrs. Rollins' class. These personalized keepsakes make awesome Mother's Day or Father's Day gifts.
Enter school access code: SOUTHart2019
5th Grade Linden Ponds Sign up
As part of the 5th grade leadership opportunities, we now have visits to Linden Ponds. Our first visit on this past Thursday was a big success.
The dates available for sign up are on Thursdays from 3:30-4:30. If you would like to sign up your 5th grader sign up at: http://signup.com/go/KqGzhJQ There are 7 dates from which to choose. Please start with only one so that many kids will have an opportunity to attend. If the spots don't fill up then you may choose another date later. Additionally, we need help with driving and supervising the kids. If you are interested on driving the day your 5th grader is signed up please sign up at: http://signup.com/go/ATOMgRH Please email Rachel Shields at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Follow us on Instagram
Amazon donates .5% back to South every time you purchase an eligible product.
Shop Stop & Shop
every time you use your Stop & Shop card. Register card at
Stop & Shop
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
Dear South School Community,
Happy Spring!!! Ah!!! The last Monday of March!!! We know it is especially hard in the month of March, but especially so this year with such late winter snow and cold!!! Thank you for all you continue to do to send your wonderful children to us each and every day ready to learn and be kind to all!!!
Quote of the week: I am strong enough to wait! (Week two of Patience Tool)
NEW News for you:
*****We are starting to plan end of the year activities (see the dates section)...thank you for understanding that we have a policy that children only attend the events in their grade level (during the day). It would be very difficult for the classroom teachers to teach on grade level event days if siblings of children involved were constantly being pulled to attend events. Please rest assured that all SES children will experience all events when they get to each grade level. The only exception to this is the Fifth Grade Farewell Ceremony on the second to last day of school
. (Date has not yet been established)
- Please be aware that English/Language Arts MCAS (My Chance At Shining) for grades 3-5 will begin on April 1st (see below for specific grade level dates). Thank you for all of your support and for making sure that children in those grade levels have a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast before testing. Thank you for understanding that we cannot have visitors in the building during testing.
- Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
- Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
- Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
- A huge thank you to those of you who were able to come out for Nona's Night!!! We had a great showing!!! We are truly grateful to all of you and the wonderful staff members who so happily scooped ice cream for our families!!! We are grateful to Nona's for their generosity and to Ms. Campbell for arranging the evening! Many scholarships for Fly South and Homework Heroes will be a result of this great evening not to mention a very happy, positive evening!
- Pizzapalooza is also coming up at Hingham High School on Wednesday, March 27 from 5:30-7:30!!! This is a fundraiser that benefits the SNAP program.
- Please remind your relatives, friends and neighbors know that Kindergarten Registration is well under way. As we need to know our numbers ASAP, a late fee is charged after March 29.
- A huge thank you to the PTO and the Cultural Events Committee for bringing us the Irish Step Dancers from BU on March 18. It was also wonderful to have some of our own students show off their talents on the stage. A huge thank you to the parents who organized the dancing by our own students.
- On Monday, April 8/School Committee Meeting (220 Central St.) @ 7PM, NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges) will be presenting our own Dr. Galo with a Leadership Award. She has given 55 years of her life to the Hingham Public Schools. This will be an early item on the agenda. Feel free to attend to honor her! It would be great to pack the room!!!
- Mark your calendars for May 8/ Walk/Bike to School Day, a state-wide initiative
- April Early Release : is Wednesday, April 3. It will be a noon release and lunch is not served. This day is set aside for Parent/Teacher Conferences. If you would like a conference, please call our front office, and they will schedule one for you (781-741-1540 x 1). Please also be aware that it is possible to schedule a conference on any other day. Please contact your child's teacher directly to find a mutually convenient time.
- We are excited to tell you that South School has received an invitation from the state to attend a State Department of Education to attend a ceremony on June 7 which honors the Schools of Recognition in our state! Some members of the village will be going to accept the award. Let us know if you are interested...
- Mr. Smith, the Hingham Middle School Principal will be visiting out PTO Meeting on April 10 At 7 PM.
- On Wednesday, April 10 @ 7 PM, our PTO Meeting will feature a visit from the principal of Hingham Middle School. Derek Smith. We are grateful for his time and extend an invitation to all parents but especially those of fifth graders to come and meet Mr. Smith.
- The kindergarten Wedding of Q and U took place on Friday, March 22 @ 9:15 AM. We are so grateful to the kindergarten staff and to all of the parent helpers as it was truly a wonderful event!!!
- The traditional Fifth Grade vs. Staff Floor Hockey Game will take place on Wednesday, April 24 @ 5 PM @ the Hingham High School Gym.
- For students who are currently enrolled in K-4 at South this year, we will be sending home a Parent Input Form on Monday, March 11, via the backpacks. We will also post it on the PTO and SES web sites. This form will help us to anticipate our numbers for the 19-20 school year. On this form you may write about the kind of environment that would best suit your child and also inform us of any factors that you want the school to consider when completing the placement process. Thank you in advance for not requesting that your child should be placed with a specific teacher. We are so fortunate to have a very professional teaching staff with excellent credentials, and they all go above and beyond to help students reach their greatest potential. It is important to keep in mind as we go through this process that it is best to prepare the child for the path, rather than the path for the child. We are all (educators and families) not only preparing them for the path, but as best summed up by FDR in this quote: ("We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future."). We are all helping to build our youth for the future!!! Please let us know any information you want us to consider on this form, and thank you for understanding that we cannot make changes once the class lists get mailed in August.
- Grade 5 parents will receive an input form from Hingham Middle School within the next month.
The trainings for interested parents/guardians who want to learn about our wonderful new Social/Emotional Program called Toolbox that were originally scheduled for the past weeks have been postponed. New dates will be announced and advertised very soon...
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
South Shore SN
AP (Special Needs Athletic Partnership) Spring Programs
South Shore SNAP is pleased to offer exciting recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. The spring programs will include: baseball, bowling, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Details and registration information will be available soon on our website: www.southshoresnap.com. Please direct any questions to: email@example.com
Pizzapalooza -Save the date: Wednesday, March 27th from 5-7pm
Hingham's finest establishments will compete to be declared the best pizza in Hingham! Proceeds benefit South Shore Special Needs Athletic Partnership [SNAP].
Summer Programs at Derby Academy
Registration is now open for the 31st season of the Summer Arts Program at Derby academy. Summer Arts is a comprehensive arts camp with programs for age 3-15. Children can explore courses in drama, music, video, animation, dance, robotics, sports, gymnastics, visual arts, photography and writing. The program dates are June 24-July 26.
We also offer one-week Specialty Camps, which include Super Science Musical Theatre Workshop, Gone Fishing, In Stitches, Neighborhood Playhouse, Robotics, Visual Arts Workshop, Game Design, App Inventor, and Fab Lab. These take place during June, July and August. For more information, visit our website at
or call (781)740-4766.
Hingham Little League Baseball
If your son or daughter plans to play Little League Baseball this Spring (2019) and has a birth date between September 1, 2011 and August 31, 2014 (LL Baseball age 5 - 7), registration is still open.
Equally important, please make sure you let us know if you would like to coach as we will be coordinating coaches meetings and league drafts during March.
After registering as a coach, please contact HLL coaching coordinator Jaime McDonald by following the link:
Open house Sunday, June 3 from 12-2pm. See
for more details.
2019 Fall Cheerleading Registration opens on Friday, March 15th!!
Registration is open to all rising 2nd to 8th grade Hingham students.
Cheer season runs from end of August to the end of November.
We are offering an off-season Cheer Conditioning Clinic to all registered cheerleaders starting April 5th, which runs 10 weeks. Please see the HYF Cheer website for more info or email CCHYFCHEER@gmail.com.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.
|The Bay Colony Educators gave our 5th graders a peek into what life was like a few hundred years ago.
|Step About Boston Irish Step Dancers!
|Kindergarten Q&U Wedding!
|Congratulations to our BOKS Kids of the Week!
Vera Paris, Emsy Smith, and Ryan Watts
|PTO Contact Information