Tuesday, 9/3 -
First Day of School Grades 1-5
Meet and Greet/Bus Orientation for Kindergarten 9:30-11ish
Wednesday, 9/4 -
Thursday, 9/5 -
First Day of Kindergarten!
Friday, 9/6 -
Mark Your Calendar
Back to School Night for Grades 2, 4, and 5
Third Grade Bike Rodeo
PTO meeting @ 9:15
Back to School Night for Grades K, 1, and 3
Dear Friends and Parents,
On behalf of the South PTO board, we are thrilled to welcome you and your children back to school! For those of you who are unfamiliar with us, we are a volunteer organization made up of all South School parents.
As a parent or guardian of a South Elementary student, you are automatically a member of the PTO. The South PTO
works hard to help make the school year both enjoyable
and exciting for students, teachers, and parents.
We have been gearing up for a busy 2019-2020 school year, with a wide array of cultural and academic enrichment programs, school wide events, and more. Our Enrichment Committee is already planning assemblies to complement the learning in every grade. The Halloween harvest chairs are gearing up for another spooky South Party and our Fun Run Committee is organizing a fabulous 5k family run this November. These are just a few examples that represent the dozens of committees and volunteers who make it all happen!
One of our PTO goals is to ensure that our parent community knows about the variety of PTO-sponsored events and programs at South Elementary. Here's how YOU can stay informed.
- The What's the Buzz e-newsletter: The e-newsletter keeps you current on events and announcements, and weekly schedules. Our e-newsletter is sent out every Sunday evening during the school year.
- Email: Our Buzz Blasts is a quick email message used to highlight a specific upcoming event. These are extremely helpful for us parents as we navigate our busy day to day lives. If you are not receiving these buzz blasts please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll add you to the list.
- Facebook and Instagram: Our Facebook and Instagram pages are a great way to stay informed. Pictures are often posted to highlight the exciting academic and cultural enrichment program being sponsored by the PTO. Frequent reminders and daily notices are posted as well.
Thank you and have a great school year!!
South PTO President
The PTO would like to thank our Garden Committee Chairs, Jen Van Gelder, and Sarah Shaughnessy, for all the time and effort spent watering the South gardens this summer. We also would like to thank Karen, Joe and Calla Daly for sorting over 300 school kits and getting them to each student's new classroom.
Additionally, the PTO would like to thank everyone who made our Welcome Back Celebration a success! Sue Richardson, Hillary Flynn and our fabulous Fifth Graders welcomed our new families and led them on tours of South. We also thank Jennie Donegan and Alexis Lefort for organizing refreshments and the PTO sign up table during our event!
Dear South School Community,
It was wonderful seeing so many of you at the walk-through Thursday!!! A huge thank you goes out to the PTO for sponsoring the event and to our parent volunteers and our new fifth graders who volunteered to be tour guides!!! We look forward to seeing all students in grades 1-5 on Tuesday (on the playground or in the gym/café if raining), the first day of school. We also look forward to seeing our new kindergarten class for their Meet and Greet/ Bus Orientation at 9:30 on Tuesday. When kindergarten families arrive, their name tags will say either A or B. Those with A will go right to the classrooms and those with B will have bus orientation first. Then the groups will switch. It should all be finished by 10:45 ish. Please remember that there is no school for kindergarten on Wednesday, September 4. We will look forward to welcoming them on Thursday, September 5 for their first day.
See below for some new news items that have come up since last week's email. You will also find a reprint of the original letter and the Kindergarten Parent Letter and SES Fast Facts attached again as well for those of you who have not had a chance to read it all. It would be a great idea to print out the Fast Facts and put them in a handy place as they are your "cheat sheet" for SES for 19-20. Enjoy the long Labor Day weekend!!!
- Going forward, new and still relevant items in either the principal's email and/or the Office Notes section of the weekly "What's the Buzz ?"(our PTO newsletter), will continue to be bulleted and in bold italics. Old news items that are still relevant will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, but left on for reference.
- Please remember that children should not be at school prior to 8:35 as we cannot guarantee supervision unless they are coming for early morning activities which are monitored by staff. Thanks you!
- We are thrilled to tell you that Emily Toney, one of our first grade teachers will be having her third baby in December! Therefore, she has decided to take a one year leave of absence for the 19-20 school year. We are also thrilled to tell you that Mrs. Stepehenie O'Brien, a long term substitute at SES, will be taking over her part time position for the entire school year. Parents of 1 WO received a person letter about this change a week ago.
- If you want to receive the "What's the Buzz?" from our PTO, you need to email Jen Benham, our PTO President, at jenLbenham@gmail.com. She will add you to the email list.
- Each month (except September), typically the first Wednesday of the month (January is the second Wednesday), South School will ALL have noon dismissals. The purpose of early release is to provide time for faculty meetings, training, and parent-teacher conferences (see underlined dates). You can schedule parent conferences with the school secretary (email@example.com or you can call the office at 781-741-1540. The following are scheduled noon dismissal days for Parent Conferences: (10/2/19, 12/4/18, 2/5/20, 4/1/20) dismissal is at noon, and no lunch is served. On Professional Development Days (11/6/19, 1/8/20, 5/6/20, 6/3/20), dismissal is also at noon and no lunch is served. Special note about Tuesday, March 3, 2020: this will be a day that the children will not have school due to the Presidential Primary. Staff will report for Professional Development, so there will be no early release day in March, just the full day with no school on March 3, 2020.
- Dismissal is also at noon on 11/27/19 to begin the Thanksgiving Holiday. The last day of school also usually has a noon dismissal time. This, however, does not become official until the Spring after we get through the snow day period.
- Bus routes are published in the Hingham Journal in late August and are also listed on the HPS website. Students must ride the bus to which they are assigned for safety/capacity reasons. Students may not ride a different bus home with another student without permission of transportation (781-741-1510) due to space and safety considerations. This is only possible in emergency situations. After permission is granted, parents should please write notes to the teacher and the bus driver informing them of this dismissal change.
- MCAS Dates for 2020 will be added to the end of the dates' section at the bottom or this email when they are final.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the entire Office Bulletin, please click here.
South Shore Special Needs Athletic Partnership (SNAP)
is pleased to announce its Fall 2019 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students who receive special education services. Our Fall programs will include: Boxygen fitness & boxing, flag football, learn-to-skate/learn-to-play hockey, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Check out our Facebook page @southshoresnap for more information and our website
. Please direct any questions to
Hingham Girls Hockey Learn to Play
Hingham Girls Hockey is pleased to announce that registration is open for its popular Learn to Play program for the 2019-20 hockey season. The goal of the Learn to Play program is to introduce young girls to skating and hockey in a fun environment. The format for the sessions will include a variety of coach-led learning stations where small groups of girls learn skating techniques and puck skills followed by small area games. The schedule will include one skills session per week on Wednesdays and a "game day" on Sunday mornings on the middle rink at Pilgrim. The fall session will begin
on Wednesday, September 11th
ends Sunday, December 22. T
o register, go to
. Jerseys are provided. HGH has a limited number of sets of protective equipment available for sale for $50 available on a first come basis. Sets include shin guards, shoulder pads, elbow pads, pants and helmet. Questions may be addressed to
HPS METCO Apple Picking Event
HPS METCO is very excited to sponsor a fun day of apple picking at the beautiful Honey Pot Orchards in Stow, MA for our METCO students and all of their Hingham peers. All interested students and parents are welcome to join us on September 21 from 10 am to 2 pm. Please reach out to your PTO for more details. RSVP with HPS METCO Director, Carols Perez, by September 13.
Holly Hill Farm