What's the Buzz?
Tuesday, 9/4 -
First day for Grades 1-5
Meet and Greet/Bus Orientation for Kindergarten 9:30-11ish
Wednesday, 9/5 -
First day of Kindergarten!
Mark Your Calendar
Back to School Night for grades 2, 4, and 5
Picture Day and Third Grade Bike Rodeo
Welcome Back to the 2018-2019 School Year
On behalf of the South PTO board, welcome back to school! As a parent or guardian of a South Elementary student, you are automatically a member of the PTO. We appreciate your support. Your generosity, creativity and time is the reason our kids, teachers and families have such a strong, vibrant community.
Volunteers are needed to help make this upcoming year a success. Please check out our online Sign Up
. We are currently seeking chair people for the School Pictures, Box Tops, Boks and Shopping for South committees. If you are interested in serving in any of these roles, or would like to find other ways to get involved, please contact
The PTO would like to thank the Garden Committee, Britt Drews, Jen Van Gelder, and Sarah Shaughnessy, for all the time and effort spent working on the gardens. Thanks as well to the numerous volunteers who helped water the garden during this hot summer.
The PTO would also like to thank everyone who made our Welcome Back Celebration a success! Alyson Anderson, Tracy Manning and Kristen Haggerty and our fabulous Fifth Graders welcomed our new families and led them on tours of South. We also thank Emily Kelly for organizing refreshments for the event!
The PTO funds over 30 programs during the school, and supports the teachers and staff with technology and supplementary materials. We need your help! Support South campaign letters will be coming home in backpacks during the first month of school.
All contributions will be acknowledged! If you have any questions, please contact
The South PTO is now on Instagram. Follow our account to see the wonderful things the PTO is doing at South! If you have any questions, please email Alison Chamberlain.
It was wonderful seeing so many of you at the walk-through Thursday!!! A huge thank you goes out to the PTO for sponsoring the event and to our parent volunteers and our new fifth graders who volunteered to be tour guides!!! We look forward to seeing all students in grades 1-5 on Tuesday (on the playground or in the gym/café if raining), the first day of school. We also look forward to seeing our new kindergarten class for their Meet and Greet/ Bus Orientation at 9:30on Tuesday.
See below for some new news items that have come up since last week's email. You will also find a reprint of the original letter and the Kindergarten Parent Letter and SES Fast Facts are attached again as well for those of you who have not had a chance to read it all. It would be a great idea to print out the Fast Facts and put them in a handy place as they are your "cheat sheet" for SES for 18-19. Enjoy the long Labor Day weekend!!!
- In response to the Spring Survey, new and still relevant items in either the principal's email and/or the Office Notes section of the weekly "What's the Buzz ?"(our PTO newsletter), will continue to be bulleted and in bold italics. Old news items that are still relevant will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, but left on for reference.
- Students in grades 1-5 start school on Tuesday, September 4. We will gather on the playground (weather permitting). Look for the particular teachers sign.
- Kindergarten students should report at 9:30 on September 4 for their Meet and Greet/BUs Orientation. This should last until around 11:00 AM.Kindergarten students do not have school on Wednesday, September 5. We will look forward to greeting them on their first day, Thursday, September 6!
- Bus routes are published in the Hingham Journal in late August and are also listed on the HPS website. Students must ride the bus to which they are assigned for safety/capacity reasons. Students may not ride a different bus home with another student without permission of transportation (781-741-1510) due to space and safety considerations. This is only possible in emergency situations. After permission is granted, parents should please write notes to the teacher and the bus driver informing them of this dismissal change.
- MCAS Dates for 2019 have been added to the end of the dates' section at the bottom or this email.
Dates to Remember:
- Tuesday, September 4 - First Day for grades 1-5
- Tuesday, September 4 - Meet and Greet/Bus Orientation for Kindergarten 9:30-11 ish
- Thursday, September 6 - First Day for Kindergarten
- Friday, September 14 - Picture Day and Third Grade Bike Rodeo (third grade pictures will be taken first)
- Wednesday, September 12 - Back to School Night for grades 2,4,5
- Wednesday, September 26- Back to School Night for grades K, 1, 3
- Friday, October 26- SES Harvest Party @ 5:30
- Saturday, December 1- Winterfest @ SES
- MCAS DATES 18-19:
- Grade 3 ELA: 4/1; 4/2
- Grade 5 ELA: 4/4; 4/5
- Grade 4 ELA: 4/8; 4/9
- Grade 5 Math: 5/6; 5/7
- Grade 3 Math: 5/8; 5/9
- Grade 4 Math: 5/13; 5/14
- Grade 5 STE: 5/16; 5/17
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click here
If you are interested in serving as next year's school liaison for your school, please email us at
South Shore SNAP (Special Needs Athletic Partnership)
is pleased to announce its Fall 2018 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Fall programs will include: crew, learn-to-skate/learn-to-play hockey, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Information will be available on our website: www.southshoresnap.com. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.