What's the Buzz?
Monday, 9/24 -
Tuesday, 9/25 -
Wednesday, 9/26 -
Back to School Night for grades K, 1, and 3
Thursday, 9/27 -
Friday, 9/28 -
First PTO Meeting @ 9:15am in the cafeteria
Mark Your Calendar
Noon dismissal for Parent Conferences - No lunch is served
SES Harvest Party @ 5:30pm
SES Parent Social
Support South Campaign
THANK YOU, to all of the families who have already donated to our Support South Check Writing Campaign. Happy to say we have had 32% of our families donate in the first week and many buzz signs are cropping up in South Hingham.
Keep it up South School parents! This could be our most successful fundraiser yet!
Your donations are needed to help sustain the many Class Programs, Cultural/Academic Enrichment Programs, Services and School Wide Events provided by PTO. Our goal is to raise $24,000 by November 9th.
100% of your donation benefits 100% of South students!
Please take the time to read our impact sheet as this will help you better understand the scope of our efforts at South Elementary. If you have any questions, please contact Jen Benham.
Please join us on Friday morning, September 28th at 9:15 in the South Cafeteria for our first PTO Meeting of the year. ALL are welcome to attend! This is a wonderful way to find out what is happening at our school from the PTO's perspective.
Thanks to everyone who has already signed up to volunteer! We still have more opportunities available so please see which ones are of interest to you.
Please check out our ONLINE Sign Up.
It's Time for Math Olympics!
We welcome you and your child to Math Olympics. The first worksheets are now available. We encourage all children in grades K-5 to participate! This 10-week program is designed to promote your child's problem solving skills.
Each Friday, a new set of math problems for each grade level will be available to download and print from the South School website. Go to www.hinghamschools.com. Under "Schools", select "South Elementary School" from the drop down menu. Click on "Activities", select "Math Olympiad" and your child's grade-level. If you do not have access to a computer, you or your child can pick up a hard copy in the office. Worksheets must be returned the following Thursday morning to your child's teacher. Parent volunteers will take worksheets home to be corrected over the weekend.
Just a few reminders:
*This is a voluntary program open to all South students
*Answers will be marked right or wrong, but the worksheets will not be scored- participation and best efforts are the focus of the program!
*Students who complete nine out of ten weeks will receive a medal in January!
Dear South School Community
Thank you for all of your support during the first month of school! It is unbelievable that the next newsletter will be sent in October! Time flies when you are having fun!!!
- Quote of the Week: A long, slow, calming breath is the finest gift of nature
- As a result of the HTSS Task Force which has met for two years to explore how we can further support the Social/Emotional well-being of our students, all of the teaching staff was trained this week in Essential Toolbox. It is a wonderful program that can be easily integrated into daily instruction. Children will be taught the twelve tools for learning and life: Breathing Tool (hence the quote of the week), Quiet/Safe Place Tool, Listening Tool, Empathy Tool, Personal Space Tool, Using our Words Tool, Garbage Can Tool, Taking Time Tool, Please and Thank You Tool, Apology and Forgiveness Tool, Patience Tool, and Courage Tool. We know that you all already reinforce these life skills at home, but we wanted you to be aware that we will be talking about 2-3 tools a month as a school as the year progresses. We will also integrate this with our "Bee Kinder than Necessary" theme...
- Math Olympics began this week! It will continue until December 6th. We thank Mrs. Tower, Mrs. Jacobs, and Ms. Finocchi and all of the many parent volunteers who make this enrichment program possible.
- An email was sent out this week with details about registering for the Spelling Bee which has been set up for November 4. Times vary by grade.
- The Back to School Night Flyer was sent home in backpacks in grades K,1,3 on Thursday. Those three grades will have their night on Wednesday, September 26th. Please note specific times for specific grades on flyer. It is also on the web site and was attached to Parent Email on Friday.
- FYI: The staff will park out back on the playground for BTS night on the 27th . If you live close and it is possible to walk, that would help out a great deal! Also, we are fortunate that the Lutheran Church which is diagonally across the street, is so generous in letting us use their parking lot any time. It would be a lovely stroll to school from there. (: You may also be able to find someone to carpool with or a parking buddy who lives close by. Thank you for NOT parking on Loring Hill Rd!!!
- On Wednesday, October 3, we will have our first noon dismissal. This year ALL early dismissals will be at noon, and lunch will not be served. This particular one is set aside for parent/teacher conferences. If you would like to schedule a conference, please contact Mrs. Thompson or Mrs. Joy in the office. If your teacher's times are all filled up, please contact the teacher directly to find another mutually convenient time to meet.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click Here
If you are interested in serving as next year's school liaison for your school, please email us at
South Shore SNAP (Special Needs Athletic Partnership)
is pleased to announce its Fall 2018 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Fall programs will include: crew, learn-to-skate/learn-to-play hockey, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Information will be available on our website: www.southshoresnap.com. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
Hingham Education Foundation (HEF) will be hosting it's 8th annual Spelling Bee Sunday, November 4th. This is a fun-filled, community event for 2nd-5th graders that helps fund grants for the Hingham Public Schools.
Online registration runs October 1st--October 7th (or until a grade reaches capacity- 30 teams max per grade). Each team or "hive" consists of three students who reside in Hingham or attend a Hingham Elementary school. $30 per student/$90 a Hive. Information will be updated on our website as registration approaches:
Hingham Girls' Hockey Learn to Play
It's not too late to sign up!
Registration is open for the 2018-19 hockey season! Learn to Play introduces young girls to skating and hockey in a fun environment. Girls learn skating techniques and puck skills following USA Hockey's ADM model. Small area games will conclude each practice. The schedule will include one skills session per week on Wednesdays and a "game day" every Sunday morning at Pilgrim Arena. The fall session begins on Wednesday, September 12th . Register on the Hingham Girls Hockey website
Some equipment is available for rental. A jersey will be provided. Questions may be addressed here.
2nd Annual Love Without Limits - Thursday, October 11th @ 6pm
Join NPH USA Hingham Council for the 2nd annual Love Without Limits at South Shore Country Club! Don't miss an evening of dancing, hors' devours, and live music from The Catunes and the NPH Guatemala Pequeños. The greater Hingham community has embraced the mission of NPH USA in an effort to help transform the lives of children living in poverty. Your support will help fund the healthcare, education, and childcare programs that support over 3,100 disadvantaged children who call NPH home. Tickets and event sponsorship opportunities are still available. For more information visit www.nphusa.org/event/lovewithoutlimits or contact us at (617) 206-4940.
33rd Annual Oktoberfest
WHEN: Sept 29th 2018 - 11 am to 5 pm, ONE DAY EVENT ONLY! (rain or shine)
WHERE: House of Prayer Lutheran Church, 916 Main Street, Hingham
WHAT: Oktoberfest Festival with traditional food, beverages, music and dancing
INFO: King Ludwig's Bavarian Band, attired in their traditional Lederhosen, will provide lively music for listening, singing and dancing. Authentic German food and beverages will be available. Other attractions include a silent auction, raffle, children's corner, bake table and over 20 vendors and artisans! Proceeds from this festive event are donated to world-wide missions, local food pantries and social ministries.
New Brownie Troop for South School 2nd Graders!
Brownie Troop 67831 for second graders at South School is now forming. We have loads of fun programming and outings planned focused on kindness, friendship, outdoors, art, dance, computers/engineering, community service, crafts and more!
Meetings will take place once per month, on Fridays, starting at 3p at SES. There are currently four spots remaining in the troop (max size is 12).
Hingham Youth Wrestling, K-8th Grade
Learn how to wrestle, build strength, flexibility and balance, and most of all have fun. No experience necessary, anyone can join. Sessions start Nov. 27th - March, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30pm at the HHS Wrestling Room. Please contact Damien Bogle at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or call 508-889-5201.
Historic House Tour
It's time to grab your friends and make a plan;
the Hingham Historic House Tour is Sunday, September 30th and you don't want to miss it!
On this year's tour are seven private 1800 and 1900 century homes and four historical public buildings. Tickets are $35 in advance and $40 the day of the tour, and
include a wine and cheese reception at the new Heritage Museum. Tickets can be purchased on line at hinghamhistorical.org.
for information about Holly Hill Farm.