First Day for Cohort A - on site
Cohort B - remote
Second Day for Cohort A - on site
Cohort B - remote
Cohort A & Cohort B
First Day for Cohort B - on site
Cohort A - remote
Second Day for Cohort B - on site
Cohort A - remote
Mark Your Calendar
PTO Meeting and Technology Presentation -7pm
(links to follow)
Columbus Day, No School
Week of 10/12
(more info and links to follow)
Tuesday/Thursday, 10/13 & 10/15
Picture Days (tentative)
Election Day, No School
South School Apparel
South School face masks and Hingham logo lanyards are available for sale.
- Cost: Face Mask $10, Lanyard $10 (cash or check made out to 'South School PTO')
- Where: 2 Locations!
- 35 Liberty Pole Road (please pull into the driveway loop)
- 2 Captain Thomson Lane (in cooler next to mailbox)
Please join us for our first PTO meeting on Wednesday evening, October 7 @ 7pm. ALL are welcome! Find out the latest PTO happenings and view a technology presentation with a Q&A to follow (description below).
We are excited to share the most tried and true technology tools with South families! The technology presentation includes an overview of digital tools that will help your children access their remote curriculum with increasing independence. As we tour an array of technology, we will highlight how parents and guardians can help support their children -- and maybe learn a thing or two that can help make their own lives easier in the process! Highlights of the presentation include navigating Google Classroom, how students can continue to complete their paper and pencil work and then turn in electronic copies to their teachers, using Chrome extensions for text-speech, and accessing texts online. -Caroline Farris and Lauren Ciocca
Caroline Farris and Lauren Ciocca are middle school teachers in Hingham who train and coach educational staff in how to use instructional technology tools in their classrooms. They are also responsible for leading Hingham through remote learning and preparing the district for the unique educational challenge of the 2020-2021 academic year. Parent organizations, teachers, and administrators across the Northeast have worked hand-in-hand with this training team to further their technology skills.
Zoom link to follow.
Office Bulletin - Highlights
Quote of the Week: Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless
- Ms. Patty van Mierlo (grade 2) will be taking a leave of absence (FMLA) starting Monday, September 28. Ms. Sydney Nuttall who has been at South for four years working in many capacities will take over as the teacher in 2vM. We will miss Ms. van Mierlo; we wish her well! We know that the students of 2vM are in very capable hands with Ms. Nuttall.
- Ms. Jessica Cheung has begun her maternity leave. We are grateful to Ms. Nancy O'Connor who has agreed to be her substitute. Our Music Education is also in very capable hands.
Building Entrance: Thank you for understanding that unless absolutely necessary, only HPS Staff and students will be allowed in the building
Reporting Absent Students: We ask that parents/caregivers use the South School attendance email when calling their student out absent. Please state the student's name and reason for absence...if illness, please give symptoms. Email is firstname.lastname@example.org. As a safety measure, we will be contacting families of absent students we have not heard from.
Arrival: Will be as normal; walk, bike (grades 4-5 only unless accompanied by an adult), bus, front driveway drop off (Please pull up to red sign)
Dismissal@12:20 Update: Due to the fact that we will be welcoming almost 50 % of our school on the Hybrid Days, for students who will be picked up by car, we will be using two points of dismissal (as we have in the past). Families who turn right into the Liberty Pole Neighborhood will continue to use the front driveway and other families will use the lower lot known as Special Dismissal (same as pre-COVID 19). Cars come into lot and turn right in a circle. Overflow waits on Loring Hill Rd.
- Please do not pull into the driveway for Liberty Pole Pick-up if it is full; go beyond the school and turn around and come back when you can pull in; we will stay with your children until you arrive; so no worries!
- PLEASE PUT FAMILY NAME ON SIGNS ON PASSENGER SIDE TO SPEED UP DISMISSAL
- Walkers should now be met on the playground to strengthen Social Distancing and insure safety in general. Look for your grade level sign and wait behind it in social distance fashion.
Electronic Devices- We have had a lot of questions about devices going back and forth to school; the only reason we are asking for that is normally we have chromebook and IPAD Carts for teachers to use as part of their instruction. They are never used all day and it certainly varies by grade level, and that is not the intention now either. They are used for things like: creative writing, Reflex Math, research etc...Since we are loaning out a lot of what is in our carts, it would be helpful if students have them to use. We COMPLETELY understand that families are concerned about expensive and bulky equipment going back and forth. All K-1 students will receiving school issued IPADS. Please let us know if you have a student in grades 2-5 who will need a chromebook.
- PreK-1 IPads an Chromebook Return: All students in Kindergarten and Grade 1 should have their IPADs by now; If your child does not have one, please contact Laurie Barry @ email@example.com. If you were issued an HPS Chromebook to tide you over, please return it as it is needed for other students. Thank you!
Masks: Hingham Public Schools will require students to wear masks on buses, during arrival / dismissal and in the classroom. Mask breaks will be provided throughout the day for students. Mask breaks will be held outside as much as possible. Masks with vents and neck gaiters (even those with filters) will not be accepted as a form of face covering. Students need to wear masks. Many parents have asked how they can help as we prepare for the upcoming school year. One way to help is to have your child practice wearing their masks appropriately. Thank you! Thank you for sending your child with a mask; it might be a good idea to put a spare mask in their backpacks.
What's Cooking Hingham?
All school meals are free to any student until the end of December 2020. There is nothing to do to qualify for this. Just order a lunch and we will have it ready for you.
At the elementary level there are 2 choices of delivery sites, full day classroom delivery or ½ day classroom delivery. If your child is in school they can order a lunch to take home with them on the bus. (Please, no eating on the bus). If they are staying the full day please select the full day option so we know if we need to have hot food hot. Of course, you can always pick up at the High School, curbside.
A few things are worth mentioning again regarding the online ordering site, onlineordering.linq.com.
- Order your meals online by 6am the day of or earlier
- The student's school lunch pin is the number to use to set up the account
- If you get Error 404, try a different browser, Chrome is recommended
- We are only serving LUNCH.
- The BREAKFAST TAB IS FOR THE GLUTEN FREE LUNCH MENU ONLY
- Only students who have a physician's note asking for a special diet can order from the gluten free menu.
- All lunches must have an entrée selection.
- Curbside pickup at the High School is for remote learning days, for all grade levels, from 9AM-12PM. However, you may also select curbside pickup if your child is attending school that day if curbside pickup is what you prefer.