What's the Buzz?
Monday, 9/10 -
Tuesday, 9/11 -
Wednesday, 9/12 -
Back to School Night for grades 2, 4, and 5
Third Grade Bike Rodeo
Mark Your Calendar
Back to School Night for grades K, 1, and 3
First PTO Meeting @ 9:15am in the cafeteria
Noon dismissal for Parent Conferences - No lunch is served
SES Harvest Party @ 5:30pm
SES Parent Social
Thanks to everyone who has already signed up to volunteer! We still have more opportunities available so please see which ones are of interest to you.
Please check out our ONLINE Sign Up. Currently, our biggest need is volunteers for our BOKS program.
BOKS, Build Our Kids' Success, is a free before-school physical activity program which helps kids jump start their bodies and brains for a day of learning. The program runs twice a week for 6 weeks on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:35 am until the start of school at 8:50 am. We run three 6 week sessions during the school year. The 1st session will be starting in October. We are looking for 4 trainers that would be interested in joining the BOKs Team.
Based on parent feedback, this year we are replacing our Boosterthon Fun Run and returning to a check writing campaign. Our Support South Campaign will begin in the upcoming weeks. Look for letters in backpacks. We hope for your support in reaching our goal to raise $24,000 by November 9. This is our biggest fundraiser of the year. It helps ensure the events and programs that otherwise would not be funded continue to thrive at South. Keep in mind that this gift is tax-deductible and many employers match contributions. We are looking to the amazing families that make up South Elementary School to show their support and help us attain 100% participation.
All contributions will be acknowledged. If you have any questions, please contact
Please join us on Friday morning, September 28th at 9:15 , in the South Cafeteria for our first PTO Meeting of the year. ALL are welcome to attend! This is a wonderful way to find out what is happening at our school from the PTO's perspective.
The South PTO is now on Instagram. Follow our account to see the wonderful things the PTO is doing at South! If you have any questions, please email Alison Chamberlain.
Dear South School Community,
What a fantastic first week we have had!!! It was a perfect illustration of the village hard at work. The staff worked hard on this end to ready classrooms and teach routines, and you all sent your children to school so well cared for, with smiles on their faces and wonderful, positive attitudes!!! With cooler weather on the horizon, and more days under our belts, the adjustment will continue to go more smoothly as we go along.
Remember... new and still relevant items in either the principal's email and/or the Office Notes section of the weekly "What's the Buzz ?" (our PTO newsletter), will continue to be bulleted and in bold italics. Old news items that are still relevant will also be bulleted but will not be bolded italics, but left on for reference.
- The Back to School Night Flyer was sent home in backpacks in grades 2,4,5 on Thursday. Those three grades will have their night on this coming Wednesday, September 12. Please note specific times for specific grades on flyer. It is also on the web site and was attached to Parent Email on Friday. The other grades (K, 1,3) will have their night on September 26. Flyer will come home next week.
- Please help us move dismissal at Special Dismissal and Liberty Pole Car Loop (only for those turning right in Liberty Pole) along smoothly:
- Please come in single file at all times. If you cannot pull in, go down the street and turn around for another pass.
- Please put a sign with your child's name in the window so we can move the lines along more quickly.
- It would also be helpful if you stay in your car and let us bring the children to you. Please do not use cell phones in lines!
- We invite all students and staff to wear red, white and blue if they wish on Tuesday to show their patriotism and commemorate September 11, 2001. Please be assured that all of our teachers know how to handle this topic in an age appropriate manner.
- We have a wonderful student teachers from Northeastern University this semester. Sebrina Clark is in 5L with Mrs. LeBlanc's class. Sabrina actually is a former SES student! We know you will give her a HUGE SES welcome back!!!
- On Wednesday, October 3, we will have our first noon dismissal. This year ALL early dismissals will be at noon, and lunch will not be served. This particular one is set aside for parent/teacher conferences. If you would like to schedule a conference, please contact Mrs. Thompson or Mrs. Joy in the office. If your teacher's times are all filled up, please contact the teacher directly to find another mutually convenient time to meet.
Have a great week!!! ME and LJ (:
For the the entire Office Bulletin, please click here
If you are interested in serving as next year's school liaison for your school, please email us at
South Shore SNAP (Special Needs Athletic Partnership)
is pleased to announce its Fall 2018 lineup of recreational and athletic programs for students ages 4 - 22 who receive special education services. Our Fall programs will include: crew, learn-to-skate/learn-to-play hockey, soccer, and yoga/Zumba. Information will be available on our website: www.southshoresnap.com. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
South School Daisy Troop
Calling all Kindergarten girls who are interested in joining the South School Daisy Troop # 67830! Meetings will be held once a month at 12pm on the Wednesday half-days starting on October 3, 2018.
Space is limited to 15 spots so please be sure to sign up if you are interested.
Golf Team Mattress Sale Fundraiser
Thinking of buying a new mattress? The 6th Annual Mattress Sale Fundraiser will be held Saturday, September 15th in the high school cafeteria from 10am - 5pm.
New, brand name mattresses such as Simmons Beautyrest will be on display in the cafeteria. A team of experts will be available and taking orders for mattresses at
30-50% below retail prices. Mattresses come with full factory warranties.
This fundraiser is sponsored by the Hingham High School Boys and Girls Golf Teams. We hope to see you there!
for information about Holly Hill Farm.