After the implementation of the Alcohol Modernization Laws there have been numerous issues regarding selling beer, alcohol, and wine on municipally owned golf courses. This legislative session OML worked with the state legislature to get SB 728 signed into law. The following details outline the requirements for alcohol sales on golf courses moving forward immediately.

NOTE: Nothing in SB 728 addresses the continued requirement for municipal property to be held in trust or an authority to become licensed with ABLE.

  • If a municipal golf course has been issued a mixed beverage license, they simply need to send a letter to the ABLE Commission stating the golf course would like to make sales of alcohol for both on and off premise consumption and list the NAICS Code of 713910.
  • This is effective upon receipt if the golf course is operating under a mixed beverage license, and the licensed premises can immediately begin selling alcohol for on and off premise consumption.
  • The entire golf course should be classified as the “licensed premises”.
  • This will allow a “beer cart” on the entire golf course if it is a licensed premise.
  • The benefit of both on and off premise consumption requires the collection and remission of a mixed beverage tax, even if the transaction is a 6-pack of beer which previously would not be subject to the mixed beverage tax.

  • If the municipal golf course holds a retail beer or retail wine license, the most effective solution is to obtain the mixed beverage license which will allow both on and of premise consumption at the golf course.

Letter for Mixed Beverage License
  • Send an actual paper letter for your licensing file.
  • Send the letter to 3812 N Santa Fe Ave Suite 200, Oklahoma City, OK 73118, ATTN: Licensing Division.

The following is a memo from ABLE relating to the new implementation of liquor laws after SB 738 has been passed. View Memo here.