Holy Innocents’ Preschool
It has been a privilege to spend time and planning energies with the Holy Innocents’ Preschool and Board. The preschool is a fully-owned subsidiary of the Church and the focus of our time is to assist them and their board in moving forward. Diocesan Council had previously voted to financially cover salaries and benefits for Holy Innocents’ employees, which, with Bruce DeGooyer’s retirement, encompasses a part-time Church administrator as well as the school staff. Several of the school staff have also lost homes, so please keep them in your prayers as well.
A Cup of Cold Water
It is a powerful experience to witness and share in the transformational ministry of A Cup of Cold Water. They continue to do amazing work on the ground, ongoing as it has always been and ready to engage again if deployed to assist. Your tremendous generosity of prayers and financial support has been received, and they have also heard from so many from across the globe. Working with the board, our current discussions focus on the most appropriate and effective use of the funds at their disposal.
Church Insurance and Episcopal Relief and Development
Many of us in the DSC have spent hours working with them, and can report that both have been exceptionally helpful and generous in their time, energy, and resources through Zoom gatherings, phone calls, emails (and of course financial support).
Our long-term planning includes finding and hiring a “Missioner” – someone who can support our ongoing relief efforts, coordinating with our congregations and relief organizations, connecting with Holy Innocents members specifically, and acting as our liaison with governmental and other organizations. We are thankful for Episcopal Relief and Development for providing job description templates used by Louisiana and Northern California as they responded to their own tragedies in the past. We hope to post this position very soon.
For the time being, I continue to be on Maui two days each week and have had the privilege to work with
- Holy Innocents’ people and leadership (a particular thank you goes out to Bruce, the retiring Vicar, Donna, the Bishop’s Warden, for our many meetings, and Conor Bezane, Holy Innocents’ administrator who is helping with Mission coordination and communication)
- Trip Lynch, who is assisting with transparency of the finances as things shift over to the Diocesan Support Center (and for both Trip and Deb for offering their ‘Ohana as a place for me to stay and coordinate work from)
- The good and faithful people of Good Shepherd (in particular The Rev. Moki Hino and Cora Brown, who have been so very accommodating and caring of the people of Holy Innocents, and the “Women of Good Shepherd” who have done everything from helping individual members with gift cards and other details to making an inordinate number of Spam musubi and laulau for rescue workers).
- The ACCW Board and volunteers – I was privileged to go on two runs with the ACCW van and meet with their board in person during this last visit.
- The Preschool Board and staff
I am truly humbled by both the faith, generosity, and the resilience of everyone I’ve interacted with.
Back at the office, special thanks must go to Rae Costa, who has tirelessly worked with the various corporations to bring things to a good close, Sam Okita who’s getting ready to work with all of the finances, Nani Carroll who’s somehow keeping everything and everyone together in the midst of so much activity, and Brett Johnson who has an eye on our various projects while our attention is pulled in so many different directions.
Mahalo to you all for your prayers and donations. As the niece of the artist who painted the “Hawaiian Madonna and Child” told me recently in an email: “Belief in a better tomorrow binds us all.” We know we’re all in this together for the long haul, and by the grace and mercy of God will continue to offer works of mercy and live lives of hope.
For the latest information and links to assistance (giving or receiving) please visit: https://www.episcopalhawaii.org/maui-relief.html