Facebook  Twitter  Pinterest  

Real Poison Center Case

A frightened mother called the poison center because her 5 year old child ingested ~7.5 milliliters of table salt. The mother mentioned that she measured it out in a medicine cup next to the stove for cooking. The mother said the child brought her an empty medicine cup and told her that she had eaten it. The specialist in poison information referred the child to the emergency room and contacted the ER for preparation. The mother called back and stated that she found the salt poured on the bed. The specialist in poison information recommended that child drink water and to call back if she had other questions.

Halloween Safety Tips

Spooky Season is around the corner and we all want to get the treats and no tricks. Here are some tips to keep you and your family safe this Halloween! 

  • It's rare for candy to be tampered with but if you want to take extra precautions make sure inspect the candy before eating it.
  • Only accept baked goodies from people you know
  • Always go with your children when collecting treats
  • If your costume requires the use of makeup, use makeup only intended for the face
  • Avoid using decorative contacts, as they can irritate the eyes.

Acetaminophen Toxicity 


Acetaminophen (Uh-see-tuh-min-uh-fuh n) is an active ingredient that can be found in many over the counter medications. It is used as a pain reliever and fever reducer. Its intended use is for colds, flus, fevers, and muscle/joint pains. It's commonly known as the brand name Tylenol but it comes in generic form as well.. It is very safe to take when taken for its intended uses and in the recommended dose.  If you suspect acetaminophen toxicity, call the poison center right away. Too much acetaminophen can really damage your liver. Some signs and symptoms to look out for include:

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal pain

Severe overdoses can result in:

  • Liver and kidney damage
  • Coma
  • Death 

If you have any questions about acetaminophen or suspect acetaminophen toxicity, please call 1-800-222-1222 to get in contact with our poison specialists. 

Visit our website
Contact Us
Order Materials

Check out the Texas Poison Center Network's Blog