Dear Assumption Families,
As students prepare to depart campus for spring break, I wish to share information on our response to and preparedness for the COVID-19 (coronavirus) global health situation. Thankfully, no members of the Rome, Italy or Worcester, Massachusetts campuses have been diagnosed with coronavirus.
Assumption has taken a number of proactive steps in response to this situation:
- Regularly remind students of basic flu prevention efforts
- Suspension of all College-sponsored international travel
- Offer to all students studying abroad the option to return to the United States to complete their program of study.
- Suspend Rome Campus operations
- After a 14-day period of self-isolation, students returning from Rome will be welcomed back to the Worcester campus if symptom-free and cleared by their physician
- Strongly, and repeatedly, discouraged campus community from international travel during spring break
- Those who travel internationally may have to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return.
- If necessary, College officials will contact those traveling to areas of concern with additional information next week.
- All students, faculty and staff with plans to travel outside of the United States during spring break were asked to complete a Travel Registry form.
- During spring break, Buildings & Grounds will thoroughly disinfect residence halls and bathrooms as well as other public areas on campus such as classrooms, the Chapel, Hagan Hall, Plourde, Taylor Dining Hall, etc.
When students return from spring break, the College will be prepared with specific protocols and on-campus responses to any presumed or confirmed cases of coronavirus. These protocols will complement operational continuity plans that were recently updated to enable academic programs to continue in the unlikely event of an interruption on campus.
If students develop a cold, cough, fever or other flu-like symptoms during spring break, they must consult a physician before returning to campus. For additional information on coronavirus, the College has developed a
comprehensive resource that can be found on the Assumption website.
This page will be updated as news and information warrants.