April 9, 2020
In his March 20 communication to the campus, President Helldobler indicated that information would be forthcoming to students regarding the financial implications following the move to remote instruction and the closure of the campus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. During the past few weeks, we have worked to explore various options to provide as much support to students as possible while also relying on guidance from both the state and federal governments regarding the potential impact on financial aid and other awards.
Here are the steps we will take in the coming weeks:
- Spring 2020 room, board, course, lab, and parking fees will be prorated based on the date the University commenced remote instruction.
- All spring course and lab fees will be prorated except the following: NCLEX Prep Fee, the Student Exit Test Fee, Distance Learning Fee, Private Lesson Fee, Student Teaching Fee, Resnet Fee, Pre-Professional Seminar Fee, edTPA Fee, and the Malpractice Insurance Fee.
- There will be no refund or credit for tuition.
- Refunds or credits for room, board, course, lab, and parking fees will be based on a calculated daily rate beginning on March 25, the first day following the extended spring break, and ending on May 15, the last day of the spring 2020 semester. Continuing students will have the option to receive a refund or a credit. If a student chooses a credit, it can be applied toward the student’s University account for either summer 2020 or fall 2020. Due to federal regulations, funds from federal financial aid must be refunded back to the student.
- Graduating seniors will automatically receive a refund unless they enroll in summer courses, in which case the prorated credit will be applied toward the summer 2020 tuition bill.
- If a student owes any prior balance, the refund/credit will be first applied to that prior balance.
- Before receiving any refund or credit, William Paterson institutional scholarships, waivers, and room grants will be prorated since no refund or credit will be given using those scholarships, waivers, or grants.
- Before receiving any refund or credit, federal and state aid, if necessary, will be adjusted following current regulations.
- William Paterson University Foundation scholarships specifically awarded for tuition and fees are not impacted. These will be awarded as planned.
- Tuition Installment Plan payments will be adjusted accordingly.
We ask each student, by May 1, 2020, to indicate their preference regarding a refund or credit for room, board, course, lab, and parking fees by filling out this form at:
By default, students who do not fill out the form prior to the deadline will be issued a credit to be used only for summer 2020 or fall 2020. Funds from federal financial aid will be refunded.
We expect to process refunds and credits within the next 30 days. We thank you in advance for your patience as we review each individual student’s account while also working remotely.
We know that this has been a difficult and challenging time, with a great deal of anxiety about the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are committed to assisting you as we work through the current situation. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at
Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance