SFHS does things differently and more intentionally as we walk with our students on their journey to college and adulthood. We meet each student where they are academically and provide support to foster student success. As a college preparatory school, SFHS takes great pride in its highly successful approach to guiding students and families through the college process.
The SFHS Four Year Plan
• 9th Grade: Interest Inventory & Career Discovery
During 1:1 sessions with their counselor, freshman students develop a four-year plan and begin to build their college application portfolios. Interest and career inventories are completed using the Naviance program.
• 10th Grade: Portfolio & Resume Building
Sophomore students connect profile attributes and interests with potential future college decisions. Counselors help students add to their individualized portfolios for future applications.
• 11th Grade: Interest Engagement & College Discovery
Junior students work closely with their counselor to narrow potential college choices and ensure SFHS course selections meet their future colleges' specific and sometimes unique demands.
• 12th Grade: College Selection & Scholarship Application
Our senior students are prepared for the application process and selection after building solid portfolios and resumes customized to their identified schools.
Annual College Planning Workshops
• College Planning & Application Parent Information Session
• College Financial Aid Information Program
• College Essay Writing Program
• NCAA Eligibility Information Program (every other year)
• College Admission Testing Information Program
Additional Services & Resources
• Parent Coffee with the Counselors – Freshman Year: Making the Transition to High School; Sophomore: Maintaining a Strong Profile; Junior: College Search; Senior: College Admission & Scholarships
• Course selection planning and scheduling
• Classroom presentations (4x/year)
• Academic, personal, college, and career counseling
• Scholarship assistance
• College admissions visits
• Referrals and job contacts
• Academic assistance with accommodation plans
• ACT prep class partnerships
• Support Groups: Girls Empowerment, Grief, Transfer Students, Freshman Support, General Support
• Support Programs: school adjustment, study skills, health maturation
• Stress Management Events: therapy dogs, meditation
• General Counseling Events: executive functioning workshops, mental health speakers
• Programming for Mental Health Awareness Week and Suicide Prevention Week